Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ssmagus posted:

your a mod, make me

also whwo wants to be forever known as a assmagus on a dead baby comedy forum

I would need to call in a favor with the sa support robot, but if you are keen by God i will make this thing happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ssmagus posted:

your a mod, make me

also whwo wants to be forever known as a assmagus on a dead baby comedy forum

sebmojo posted:

I would need to call in a favor with the sa support robot, but if you are keen by God i will make this thing happen

DO IT

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lol i actually have, ssmagus if you really don't want your name to change now's the time to tell me

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
No, i don't want my name changed. I've got a LP in planning and i don't want to be know as the LPer Assdudemage guy.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

But assmagus would be the best name for an lper!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well I know what the name of my next Great Commander is gonna be :D

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
I assept this

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ssmagus posted:

No, i don't want my name changed. I've got a LP in planning and i don't want to be know as the LPer Assdudemage guy.

While i do not understand this, i am bound in honor to accept it, but if you don't mind i will always think of you as a true magus of rear end

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
rear end Magus Quest when?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
This TC have a lot of unfortunate hot takes and a bloat of mechanic, but this is a fascinating LP to keep a close watch on.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ssmagus posted:

"We were on the verge of greatness! We were this close!"

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Look, let's stop making GBS threads up this thread and close up all talk about my rear end.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

sebmojo posted:

While i do not understand this, i am bound in honor to accept it, but if you don't mind i will always think of you as a true magus of rear end

I remember once we had mods so hardcore they wouldn't just change his name without asking, they'd go to his house and tattoo it onto his forehead. Sir, you have shamed your ancestors.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010

King Doom posted:

I remember once we had mods so hardcore they wouldn't just change his name without asking, they'd go to his house and tattoo it onto his forehead. Sir, you have shamed your ancestors.

shhhhh, we don't speak of the old days. I was expecting it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ssmagus posted:

shhhhh, we don't speak of the old days. I was expecting it

these are kinder times :smith:

also it's not my sub so i can't be too much of an rear end in a top hat lol

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

ssmagus posted:

Because you prefer to be associated with... the SS. :godwin:

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010

Yessod posted:

Because you prefer to be associated with... the SS. :godwin:

Let's not start this until the :biotruths: happen later. :godwin: superscience is a thing in this mod.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ssmagus posted:

Let's not start this until the :biotruths: happen later. :godwin: superscience is a thing in this mod.

We could talk about Assyria instead?

I have to say, there's one early tech that I was planning not to take until I discovered that it was mandatory to move into the Ancient era. I'll wait until the LP arrives there to lodge my formal protest.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

C2C Gameplay Chapter 5: We're Not The Only People On This Island, And We All Know It

This update uses the newer SVN version 10457 of the mod which does nothing to affect our game, just mentioning it cause I can.

So yeah, using captives we have the ability to turn on a special set of buildings in our empire, the Worldviews. Worldviews are basically a kludgy form of Civics that only exist for their own sake and can be turned on and off under certain conditions. It's a work-in-progress feature and for now there are three Worldviews, all enabled via Captive units. This one, Worldview - Cannibalism, does exactly what it says on the tin. When enabled it's turned on permanently for every city in your empire until you use a certain type of great person or a Lawyer unit, as the blurb states.

Every city ends up with this building, which defines all the secondary effects of the Worldview. For cannibalism, it just means a bunch of extra happy/unhappy depending on your Civics. The down side buildings are built at the completion of certain techs and give additional unhappiness, representing your citizens getting fed up at such a barbaric practice still being allowed.

Honestly, even ignoring the moral implications of taking this, I don't think it's worth it anyway. All it does is provide extra food from Captives, which is something we'll already have plenty of anyway as we build more buildings and continue our hunting adventures.

And even still, there are much better uses of the Captives anyway. I'd much rather use them for production at the very least than just some extra food. For now though I'm gonna hold on to him, as there's a Worldview later that seems much better thought out from a gameplay perspective than this one... if also equally reprehensible. :suicide:

As I implied previously, we're in something of a monotonous routine where we have our hunters exploring, killing and subduing animals, using those animals to create myths and buildings, improving our science etc. etc. so I'm warning you now that not much "happens" in this update besides a couple upgrades to existing units and some quick teching.

I did just notice at the start of this session that we actually have Stone and Obsidian relatively close by. The land around it isn't very hospitable but it's certainly worth settling here eventually, since stone is a really nice resource to have this early in the game.

I also neglected to mention near the end of the last update that one of the AIs founded the first religion, Druidic Traditions. I won't be talking about religion now, this is noteworthy simply because all religions in this game have their own dedicated techs on the tech screen that are always dead ends and do nothing but found the religion for the person who researches them.

And those techs become untechable for everyone else once they're taken, as shown by the red color. A minor but welcome convenience I suppose.

I'll be doing the first overview post on Promotions next time, but as a little taste, he's an example of a specialized unit. With Sting IV I get a whopping 70% combat bonus against units that are larger than me, which would be stuff like elephants, giraffes, lions, bears, etc. Additionally, with Hunt Down II, I get a Pursuit chance of +35%. As I mentioned in the combat update, many units get an innate ability to withdraw on defense no matter how overwhelming the combat odds are against them. Barn Owls, for example, have a fairly high chance to just straight up withdraw from any battle, and withdraw they have.

A lot.

Pursuit is what counters the withdrawal chance of units, so having Hunt Down makes it easier to actually win combat against units that are prone to retreat like the flying animals.

Anyway, I made a mistake. Natural Pigments doesn't reveal map resources, it just allows some manufactured ones. Dye will be quite useful later on and has a lot of different ways of being produced, though sadly none of them exist in our capital right now.

Conduct is the natural progression from Theft, in that people are starting to figure out how to profit off stealing from others, so now we're starting to figure out what to do about it.

Oh hey, it turns out there are still more Civs to meet on this continent. Wasn't expecting that to be honest since it's been so many turns from the start, but here we are, Dido of Carthage. She chose Politician as her first trait, which if I remember correctly helps a lot with Espionage generation.

Seems she's out east from our capital in the area beyond where I explored. I figured we would be nearing the Eastern edge of the continent but apparently I was wrong.

Boksi's been trying to goad this Neanderthal unit off of the tribal village but no dice. I'm gonna have to dislodge him by force and sadly our elite hunter is not quite up to the task with all of the barb's combat bonuses.

One of our Trackers reaches Level 12 experience, which allows him to select the ability to promote his Combat Quality. The main benefit of the Combat Quality Sub Combat Type is the ability to take higher Might promotions, allowing for some really crazy powerful units down the line if they get promoted enough. In an immediate sense though, increasing the Combat Quality increases the unit's max HP by 50%, which in turn raises its base combat strength. Combined with the Might I promotion this turns our initial 66HP 1.33 CS unit into a 100HP 3.0CS unit. Quite the upgrade.

The trade-off is that selecting this promotion resets your experience to 0. It's going to be a long while before we can promote this unit again, so make sure your specialized promotions are set the way you want before you commit to the upgrade.

Oh hey, an AI finally builds the first Culture wonder.

Culture (Bedouin) requires the player to be playing an African Civ. It doesn't provide anything interesting for a long time, as it only allows a Renaissance Era unique unit and a Hero unit that doesn't matter at all, but I'm glad I can finally show off what the actual effects of one of these Culture buildings is.

And it turns out our newly met Carthaginian neighbors are the ones who built the Bedouin culture. Makes sense given that Carthage was a North African nation while they existed.

Conduct allows the Sentry Post, an upgrade to our Lookout Post, which in turn allows us to upgrade our Watchers to Enforcers, the next unit in the Law Enforcement line.

It also unlocks the first of this promotion line, Policing I, which improves our Law Enforcement units' ability to reduce Crime in the city.

Also some new Crime buildings. Thankfully these will only show up at very high Crime levels, but you can see just how debilitating some of these buildings can be if you can't keep your properties under control.

Stop it, game. :argh:

Chopping is next and uh, well, it doesn't do much.

Boksi finds the borders of Carthage, and it turns out they're actually quite close to us. Closer than any of the other AIs we met, that's for sure.

Camp buildings are enabled with the Hunter's Camp we built earlier, and can be built by subdued animals. They require certain corresponding animal resources and provide a Carcass, just like the Herd. The main difference is that Camps provide food and gold as opposed to food and hammers.

As I said, Chopping does a whole lot of nothing interesting. It adds one science to the Stone Tool Maker and enables the Shock II promotion.

Scraping similarly does nothing much, although at least this tech speeds up our workers a little bit.

So apparently there are three Richard of Normandy's on Wikipedia, but the one that would actually correspond to being a Great Hunter is the son of William the Conqueror, who is most famous for... dying horribly in a hunting accident while he was likely still a teenager.

Cheeky those C2C devs are. :v:

Our borders expand for a second time, making me just realize it puts Beavers on our borders! This is pretty swell, as Beavers are the primary prerequisite for Pelts which would open up a couple of interesting building options. I get some Gatherers out to improve and connect them.

I find Mt Sinai down way south on the map. Assyria should be this way too but I oddly haven't found them at all yet.

Skinning reveals Hides and the method of acquiring them along with Furs, and also introduces a new Housing option.

I manage to kill the Neanderthal hanging out on the tribal village with my Spiked Clubman and get a free Scout from it. Not exactly the best prize but I guess it's another set of eyes to have. Also more experience for my Melee barb hunter.

Still no sign of Assyria, and I'm far enough south that I'm hitting the snow/tundra part of the map. Much like desert, snow and tundra damage units that pass over it, so I want to avoid traversing over it if I can.

Oh hey, I nearly forgot to introduce a very important Quality-of-Life mechanic in C2C. You see, because of how production scales to massive levels in this game, naturally when it comes time to create cheap but otherwise necessary buildings and units like Gatherers or, say, Workers, it'll quickly get to the point where your production far outstrips the cost of these items. In vanilla Civ 4, any additional production past the remaining cost of an item is applied to the next item, but only to a certain point. If the overflow of an item would exceed either the full cost of the completed item or your total base production, whichever is higher, then the amount in excess would be converted straight to gold. This is to prevent stacking overflow production so high that you can then apply it to a super high cost item that you only immediately got access to like, say, an expensive wonder.

I believe C2C still applies this behavior to excessive hammer overflow, but it turns out if you've queued several items to build in a city the game will check to see if the resulting overflow can also complete the next item in the list. If it can, it will build both items at the same time, and then check if it can finish the next item the same way, etc. etc. In this way, you can use massive production to complete several cheap items at once as long as they're properly queued, which is a pretty big deal as units in general are on the cheaper side to accommodate the Size Matters merge/split mechanic.

This also applies to research by the way, so if your science is high enough and you've got a bunch of cheap techs you skipped that you need to back-fill, it'll attempt to complete as many of them as possible so long as they're queued up properly in the Technology screen. Incidentally, this behavior used to be optional, something you'd turn on and off at game start, but at this point not having this behavior would make the mod borderline unplayable down the line so it's just the way things are by default.

One thing I haven't mentioned up to this point is how animals spawn. There are a lot of conditions governing where animals spawn based on the tile terrain and the position of the terrain relative to the established Equator of the world map. These are the first pandas I've found, not coincidentally on one of the few Bamboo terrain features I've found. Similarly, animals that are also map resources like Horse, Deer, Elephants, etc. will tend to spawn on tiles with those map resources on them. So if you need to find Bison for some reason, you can work your way towards a Bison tile and chances are you'll see a wild Bison roaming about. It's quite interesting how much thought was put into this, though I don't really pay as much attention to it as I should.

The Legendary Landscape we built already provides a free source of Hides, fortunately enough, so I'll gain the benefits of that resource immediately.

That benefit being Housing (Animal Hide Tents), the first Housing option that provides an actual bonus to our city. It still provides extra unhealthiness but also provides a base 1 hammer and 1 gold without having to do anything else. This doesn't mean much to our capital but the immediate effect of these Housing buildings in new cities we plant will make it much easier to quickly get them up to speed.

Carving's main purpose is to reveal Jade, which itself opens a lot of interesting building options. If you get Jade that is, I don't even know how rare it is on a given map but I never really see it. I don't even remember if it's a map resource at all to be honest.

Hattusas grows to size 4 which unlocks Pest (Ants), a Disease-producing building that shows up because we have Carcasses laying about. It's a pretty minor problem building, but it's worth nothing it here as it's an example of a building that only shows up when your city reaches a certain size. Always important to be mindful of those types of things.

Also Cernunnos is a Celtic god it seems?

And here we have Banditry, an interesting double-edged Civic that I plan to make use of quite a bit. The downsides are pretty rough, as it gives extra unhealthiness, reduces culture and espionage generation, and provides an extra 1 Crime per turn per citizen in our cities, but it importantly allows us to build a nice new building.

That being the Bandit's Hideout. At the cost of 1 espionage point we get a flat +3 gold with a potential +3 additional depending on future techs as well as unlocking some new units. It does add a whopping 5 Crime per turn though, which is why I waited a bit to get this: I needed to get some more Watchers and some more Crime-reducing buildings to compensate in advance.

Of course we need to build the building first and in the mean time, Carving comes in. As expected, there's no Jade near where we are so the tech is pretty useless to us right now, except as a prerequisite to other stuff. There is a wonder we could build if we wanted to though.

Bone Working is a pretty nice tech on the other hand, as Bone is easy to get and we get some other goodies to take advantage of along with it. You might also have noticed that Housing (Bone Huts) is what we would be getting instead if we didn't fulfill the conditions for the Animal Hide Tents.

We also find yet another AI out further east! Frederick of Germany is quite far from us, but the fact that I've already met 5 opponents makes me think that everyone actually started on the same landmass. I'm not sure if the map script is a straight Pangaea (not sure why it would when some of the other maps outright state they're Pangaeas) but it seems like this might be a Terra-esque map, where there's another huge landmass somewhere that we're going to need to explore and colonize ourselves. This is all purely speculation of course, I am playing this map blind after all and I intend not to spoil myself on whatever I find.

And yes, I did forget to check which Trait Frederick chose first. :sweatdrop:

Yeah, you can kind of see how out of control Crime can get if you don't pay attention. Even considering that some of that +30 is from attempting to tend to 0. And I haven't even finished the Bandit's Hideout yet.

Each Civic also has specific exclusive buildings that appear in your cities when that Civic is enabled allowing additional effects. For Banditry, that makes all of my units start with Marauder.

I upgrade to my first Enforcer, which does the same thing as a Watcher except better. Costs more in maintenance though. I'd gladly upgrade all of my Watchers if I could, but the upgrade cost is around 70ish gold and uh.

We're kind of running a deficit.

Yeah, it's not a real problem since a lot of our science is flat science from our myths and I can easily just run the slider at break-even or even at 0% to build money up, but I won't do that on the grounds that I don't want to.

I'm stubborn like that.

Dido is the first the AIs I've met to reach their second Developing Trait. Dido chooses Financial as her positive trait but is also forced to choose Idealistic as her negative trait. Even in my previous games I've never seen an AI use their negative trait choice to remove a positive one, so I dunno if they're even programmed to consider the option.

Alright, we've got another shot at subduing an elephant, let's go.

:woop: :woop:

The Herd (Elephant) gives us a source of Elephants but also a source of Ivory, which is a pretty big deal for a number of reasons later on.

Conveniently, Bone Working enables Ivory immediately after we get it.

And it allows us to construct the Feather Worker with one of our spare Subdued birds. Every little bit of gold and science helps.

Frederick also hits his second Developing Trait threshold.

Trap Fishing finally lets us do something with all this water we have surrounding us. We'll see which, if any, sea resources we have in our capital and eventually we'll be able to actually explore our coasts.

I might have neglected to mention this, but the various Camp buildings are buildable manually so long as you have the proper resource available. I'd prefer to find and kill another elephant for this building but if I have time I may just squeeze this in at some point.

In the meanwhile though, we've established a state-sanctioned center for underground thievery, it's about time we make use of it... :ninja:

----------------------

NEXT TIME: Committing crime for fun and profit while hoping not to go bankrupt. Also yet more map to discover, frustration at what "city vicinity" means, and the AI are a bunch of dirty cheaters :argh: Oh yeah, and more Audience Participation!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Using thieves as our army. What could go wrong?!

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What could go right?

Actually, can they be used for espionage? We obviously need more techs.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Never enough techs.

Also, I think my game's bugged. I managed to get Lawyers and still can't remove Cannibalism, so unless there's some secret menu option i'm not noticing, my civilization will just be eating people for the rest of time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jossar posted:

Never enough techs.

Also, I think my game's bugged. I managed to get Lawyers and still can't remove Cannibalism, so unless there's some secret menu option i'm not noticing, my civilization will just be eating people for the rest of time.

I think Emancipation Proclamation gets rid of all the worldviews? Try going for that or, failing that, perhaps a Great Statesman?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i shudder to think what could be equally abhorrant relative to cannibalism.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Base Civ 4 had it as well, so it's not anything special.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Radio Free Kobold posted:

a hyperdetailed slavery minigame

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Radio Free Kobold posted:

slavery :ssh:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

sebmojo posted:

a hyperdetailed slavery minigame

This is remarkably close to accurate.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
:ohdear:

Dont like the sound of that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Probably sex slave stuff, I'd imagine. I've had a bad feeling every since that "Alpha Male" "Alpha Female" business.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ssmagus posted:

Base Civ 4 had it as well, so it's not anything special.

Then it probably is Slavery. I wouldn't be surprised since Slavery in Civ 4 is INCREDIBLY Powerful and you generally keep it as long as possible.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Super Jay Mann posted:

I think Emancipation Proclamation gets rid of all the worldviews? Try going for that or, failing that, perhaps a Great Statesman?

I've had the Emancipation Proclamation for a while, all it does is add an extra happiness in all of your cities. Maybe the Great Statesman might help, though with all the other players eliminated i'm not sure what I can do that's really "statesman" like.

It's mostly a matter of curiosity as for all intents and purposes, apart from those cities at the edge of the world which will EVENTUALLY get connected to the rest of my civilization (the tech allowing you to do so is pretty darn late, all things considered), the rest of my cities have basically locked themselves into equilibrium where they have ridiculous food gen and thus can never decrease from their current mid-tier city sizes but are otherwise messed up industrial holes unable to grow.

The back half (?) of the Atomic has been spent using a tiny fraction of my research power to research religions while rolling towards actually useful techs and trying to spread literally every religion to every city. Again, this is mainly for amusement value since even all of the religions combined wouldn't have the happiness boost levels to actually change the situation, although a small number of the buildings might be useful for other reasons.

I've learned enough that I would do things differently if I played the game again. But while going through the whole game once is an interesting experience (and I want to see for myself how crazy it gets), it isn't really fun enough to want to do it a second time.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 1, 2019

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Probably sex slave stuff, I'd imagine. I've had a bad feeling every since that "Alpha Male" "Alpha Female" business.

I do know there's stuff like harems, prostitution, brothels, STDs and such in the game, but I don't recall any explicit sex slaves, just generic 'entertainer' slaves, which produce culture.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Boksi posted:

I do know there's stuff like harems, prostitution, brothels, STDs and such in the game, but I don't recall any explicit sex slaves, just generic 'entertainer' slaves, which produce culture.

....That's not really better at all! :stonk:

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Jossar posted:

Never enough techs.

Do you have the Lawyer in the correct city? It needs to be in the city where Cannibalism originally started from.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I don't really see a problem with the mod having cannibalism and slavery in it. Normal base Civ has slavery after all, which even has entire strategies built around it.
If there's any skeezy sex stuff that would be different, but I don't think this mod is uniquely appalling just yet for having stuff in it that other strategy games regularly have. In Stronghold you have like twenty different execution buildings to keep your peasants from rebelling, an execution hut with a little skull icon is tame by the standards of the genre.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Banemaster posted:

Do you have the Lawyer in the correct city? It needs to be in the city where Cannibalism originally started from.

Yep, he's been parked there since the Renaissance.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Omnicrom posted:

Then it probably is Slavery. I wouldn't be surprised since Slavery in Civ 4 is INCREDIBLY Powerful and you generally keep it as long as possible.

Well, slavery is what you need to get poo poo done now and cheap. America has a huge slave force in the form of prison labor, since slavery is still legal as punishment. Prisoners do a fair bit of heavy lifting for the US defense industry, as well as literal cotton picking for sweet irony. Sweatshops, factories, industrial farming and mineral extraction all heavily rely on slave labor worldwide. Civ 4 was right about slavery. Just keep whippin’ them pops into spaaaaaaace!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Y'know what I miss? heroic 2. It was a promotion available to the special units like great hunters that was removed long long ago. If I remember correctly, it granted +20% strength, which was nice. It also granted a flat 5% chance per kill to trigger a golden age. I once had a 9500 year golden age going on before the save broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So against OP's advice I downloaded this mod, and I'm strangely enjoying myself, though my enjoyment was slightly spoiled by the fact that one of the German leaders on offer is of course, Hitler.