Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes. Like others have mentioned, the people giving you your food are functionally waiters and making like $4 an hour. It's monstrous.

Not that I've been to one in years, but I'm sure never going to a Sonic ever again, wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

silvergoose posted:

Not that I've been to one in years, but I'm sure never going to a Sonic ever again, wow

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Sure do hope all the openers have extra aprons and pens in their car because I just took home all the dirty aprons they leave in the backroom. They can have them back for $2.

We lost a point during our health inspection because they're too lazy to bring them home when they leave.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

silvergoose posted:

Pretty much how I feel too. :stonk:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I didn't have to deal with it, but earlier this week we had a parent come in concerned about the Momo challenge.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Jesus christ. My family used to eat from Sonic once in a while, years and years ago, but if we'd known they were doing this poo poo we would've gotten our food elsewhere :stonk:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Foodstamps for this month are launching all at once on the very first day.

Today.

Yesterday, two cashiers called out.

We're down a lot of staff.

One department has seen a full-time employee ( from another department ) flatly refusing more shifts because that department manager doesn't work, and another full-time employee straight up called him out on store-wide communications yesterday.

Inventory is in less than a month.

The store remodel starts a few weeks after.

BUCKLE UP

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Jesus christ. My family used to eat from Sonic once in a while, years and years ago, but if we'd known they were doing this poo poo we would've gotten our food elsewhere :stonk:

I should note that this practice varies from store to store, and may be illegal and not done in some states. I'm working off of posts from the restaurant industry thread.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If it's *allowed* by corporate, that's enough for me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Foodstamps for this month are launching all at once on the very first day.

Apparently last month's weren't sent out either, so those plus this month's are all being paid today. We had people with carts full of stuff waiting for midnight.

Glad I'm not a cashier.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Told one of the managers about my jury duty notice today.

He took it like I'd announced I was running for president on a platform of killing his dog.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

He took it like I'd announced I was running for president on a platform of killing his dog.

You should consider doing this too.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Haha my coworker eats Sonic pretty much every day except for the nine month period he boycotted the company because one of the carhops shorted his change by 15c repeatedly.

He's a weird dude.

Who wants to eat that glop anyway? The only redeeming thing on their menu is a bazillion slushies you can add a half pint of rum to and not taste any booze.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like how since we've installed our new self-checkout systems, my store's front-end hours budget has increased by 200-something hours but I'm only working 29 hours next week instead of my usual 38-ish.

It's like it was part of the plan all along.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

you could probably get a good number of republican votes on this platform

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Yawgmoth posted:

Only if the dog is large and brown though, like a chocolate lab or something.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Yawgmoth posted:

So that's what Huckabee Jr. was up to

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

He's actually one of the good managers, or at least, one of the more realistic ones. I don't mind him. The store manager is the only one I really mind nine times out of ten, and that's largely because her expectations are incompatible with reality.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Bad supervisor got demoted today :dance:

Woke up to a new group chat with his name not listed and my day is better.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
132 people in 4 days. No one should ever have to talk to that many people much less beg them to buy poo poo. It's different than working behind a regular rear end counter. I almost miss it. God I'm exhausted. (oil change shop window bitch for reference). I just checked my stats and it always blows my mind just how many people I have to make awkward small talk with while my guys are cursing a air filter or skid plate. gently caress

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lol. I probably hit that in 1 shift. Also, our inventory is done. We were around $350 short and that was falling. Horray, now I can collapse in a pile for the next 36 hours and do nothing.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah but it's so different when you're with each person from 20 minutes to an hour. I've done busy days in traditional retail for years. This is such a different beast.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp saw the dumbest loving item I've seen in a while at Amazon today. Amazon sells just about everything so we see some real stupid stuff at the FC, most of it health and pseudo-science stuff (Grounding pads! You sit on them and they...ground you! Sucking away the negative ions and leaving only the positive ones behind!) but every now and then you see and order go "whoever made this is a dumbass...a rich loving dumbass making money from people dumber than them."

Chambongs. The champagne flute version of a beer bong. It's a normal (well maybe a bit above average, I couldn't see into the box) sized wine flute only the bottom bends away. So it's a wine glass you have to hold funny to fill up, can't put down (as if someone getting one of these would have alcohol in it long enough to put down) and then you tip it/your head back to drink your alcohol all fast-like so you can't even enjoy the taste if that's your thing. Oh and the best part? The slogan on the box was, I poo poo you not, "Because they're awesome!" completely non-ironically.

They come in "Mini" sized too. So you can have even less to chug down. I was never the part of a crowd that would do such a thing but isn't the point of a beer bong to chug until you've downed a night's worth of alcohol in only a few seconds? You can just use the wine bottle itself for that.

Upon seeing the box of Minis I was packing the guy to my left asks me "What are those for? The kids?" To which I reply "Nah, the minis are for the guy so he can bide his time while his girl using the normal ones drinks herself under the table....gently caress I just made a date rape joke, I'm sorry." I was feeling horrible until the little old lady to my right finished it off in style "Nah, it's okay. She's passed out and didn't hear you say it, so it never happened."

Amazon Associates: we're bitter people and while we don't know who you are but we see what you order and we judge you. The bitterness and judging goes double for night shift. I feel that we almost get to know you better than the people at the checkout counter: the cashier's not gonna remember your face in five minutes anyways so we're on even ground there, but you're too ashamed to buy what you really want from Wal-Mart.

Also packed tonight:
-Several cases of heavy rear end Soylent and other "health" drinks just begging for me to sprain my wrist trying to fit them into the box.
-A box with a penis pump, "extra large" replacement tubes and a bunch of accessories for the brand new iPhone and smart watch the guy (I assume it's a guy) bought.
-A case of individually wrapped sticks of firewood for a fireplace. For all I knew they were hand crafted, artisanal sticks of firewood.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Alkydere posted:

-A case of individually wrapped sticks of firewood for a fireplace. For all I knew they were hand crafted, artisanal sticks of firewood.

For some reason this one raises the most questions.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alkydere posted:

Also packed tonight:
-A box with a penis pump, "extra large" replacement tubes and a bunch of accessories for the brand new iPhone and smart watch the guy (I assume it's a guy) bought.
Along with a book, "Swedish Made Penis Enlarger Pumps: This Sort of Thing is My Bag, Baby"

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Yesterday, a section of my cases went down.

When a case goes down, you have to take everything out of it. Then you hope it comes back up again ( sometimes it does ). If it doesn't, a surly tech ( that looks like a slightly less greasy mechanic ) comes out, looks at it, determines its broken, waits for the part to make it not broken, complains, and leaves.

I figured this out when I came in and saw a big rear end pile of shelves sitting by my freezer.

Since I wasn't working that section that day, I looked at them, went, "Hm. Oh well," and went on with the work I was scheduled to do. At some point during the shift, one of the managers asked, jokingly ( but not really ) if I wanted to put everything back, shelves and all. I wasn't sure I'd have time, but said I would, if she put in the shelves and stuff, and if I had time. I'd have rather used any extra time for my own department, but, whatever.

This is one of the rare nights I was scheduled to leave before the store closed, but I didn't really end up with any "extra" time at the end of my shift. When I finished, I checked on the shelves- still there in the pile. Just putting them all back would have taken at least thirty minutes, nevermind the food.

The store manager was set to open the next day. The district manager might drop by.

And I went home on my scheduled time. :toot:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Preechr posted:

For some reason this one raises the most questions.

Yeah, people straight up order firewood off of Amazon. It comes in a box of individually wrapped sticks promising they'll burn for 2 hours. Honestly they're likely compressed sawdust from a sawmill somewhere trying to make a buck off of its trash. As someone who grew up in a house with a fireplace the idea of buying firewood online boggles my mind. My parents always just kept an eye out and grabbed chunks out of any tree someone in the neighborhood cut down and saved them for later.

Part of me wonders how many people buy a case before they realize their fireplace is fake anyways. The number has to be greater than zero.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, people straight up order firewood off of Amazon. It comes in a box of individually wrapped sticks promising they'll burn for 2 hours. Honestly they're likely compressed sawdust from a sawmill somewhere trying to make a buck off of its trash. As someone who grew up in a house with a fireplace the idea of buying firewood online boggles my mind. My parents always just kept an eye out and grabbed chunks out of any tree someone in the neighborhood cut down and saved them for later.

Part of me wonders how many people buy a case before they realize their fireplace is fake anyways. The number has to be greater than zero.

As someone from Oregon the idea of paying for firewood after your first year in a home is hilarious to me. Like, I can get it free on the side of the road, split it, and let it season for a while before burning it. If you just moved in somewhere with a fireplace or wood stove, it makes sense to buy a cord or two to get you through the first winter, but after that it should only cost the labor you put into it.

Unless you are camping far from home, in which case buy it close to your destination or buy kiln dried wood to prevent the spread of invasive insect species.

therobit fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 6, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

therobit posted:

As someone from Oregon the idea of paying for firewood after your first year in a home is hilarious to me. Like, I can get it free on the side of the road, split it, and let it season for a while before burning it. If you just moved in soolmewhere with a fireplace or wood stove, it makes sense to buy a cord or two to get you through the first winter, but after that it should only cost the labor you put into it.

Unless you are camping far from home, in which case by it close to your destination or buy kiln dried wood to prevent the spread of invasive insect species.

As someone from the most wooded state in America, where one can get free wood from the 7-11 or just have it fall from the sky like manna, I don’t understand why people procure firewood with money

(Just kidding, shits ridiculous)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Alkydere posted:

One of my favorite things about growing up with a fireplace was anytime I got pissed off in fall/winter I would just go outside and split firewood with an ax (we had tons due to clearing land for the house),

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I get that some places don't have much wood available for free, and in that case find a local fuel supplier and they will sell you anywhere from a quarter cord to a dump truck full, but buying individually wrapped logs off of Amazon is absurd no matter where you are.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I could see people who never use their fireplace but want some reliable bug-free wood to store in the closet in case the power goes out. But buying it regularly, no.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

you goons and your fancy uptown fireplaces

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I hate when people ask me for a recommendation and then bitch about it. Just had a lady who asked if I thought she'd need an extra shot in her cold brew, and I said no. poo poo's strong, you should be fine. She literally called in fifteen minutes later to bitch about how I told her it'd be fine but it wasn't, and also that her coffee wasn't full because we didn't have it sloshing out of the top of the lid. Obnoxious cow.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

And that's why I'd rather deal with working in the pits of Amazon instead of dealing with customers. Customers suck. I had so many lovely customers when I handed out free food samples. It's a Free. Food. Sample. You take one, smile and nod as I say where you can buy more. Be polite to me and I'll let you take two or three extras if you like it so I can go home early! :argh: How is this so hard, I'll get paid the same if I'm here for 2 hours or my full aloted 6 because my supervisors bitched at me for putting in anything besides 360 minutes on the timesheet so yes be nice, I'll give you an entire ice cream bar instead of little cut up pieces!

Anyways, more Amazon bitching. last week we had a belt on the AFE item sorter break (the thing that sorts the items so we can build the boxes). Because of this and other issues we're behind on shipments...but we're getting better! Our backlog value went down from .5 to .32 the previous shift (no don't ask me how that works, it's just numbers they throw at us. But we asked so they at least throw us vague numbers to give us SOME reference). Should drop it down to like .1-ish tonight, right?

A belt on the ship sorter broke about an hour into shift and had to be repaired. :suicide: This is the machine that sorts all the non-envelope shipments and sends them to the trucks to be loaded, which means no one's shipping anything at all in this building. Management tried to keep us packing for a while before throwing up their hands and having us basically hand carry all of our finished shipments to the label printing machine and palletizing them and then fully restock our areas as best we can before going to break 2 hours early. Annoying but makes sense: HR would rather we be on our unpaid break if there's nothing for us to do rather than paying us to sit on our rear end all night.

Gah they're gonna be just as crazy about trying to get us to play catch-up when I go back in tonight after that. And to think they just shut down the facility for one day a few weeks ago for extra maintenance. The things we go through just to ship people their essential oils, dildos, and boxes of firewood!

Just...one more shift and then it's my weekend and back half crews can deal with that nonsense for 3 days.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I hate when people ask me for a recommendation and then bitch about it. Just had a lady who asked if I thought she'd need an extra shot in her cold brew, and I said no. poo poo's strong, you should be fine. She literally called in fifteen minutes later to bitch about how I told her it'd be fine but it wasn't, and also that her coffee wasn't full because we didn't have it sloshing out of the top of the lid. Obnoxious cow.

Take solace in the fact that this person would have called to complain no matter what you did, since that's their only joy in life.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

This is why my wife always ask how many shots come in a 12/16 oz of whatever drink she's getting, because from there it's simple to figure out if you are going to think it will taste enough like coffee for you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I swear by a double ristretto for every 4oz of cup volume.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Get a venti starbux doubleshot on ice with six blonde ristretto shots if you wanna go fast but cold brew gives you the shakes

Please don't order the caramel cloud macchiato. I have to keep explaining to baristas how its made and they're not absorbing the information at all and I'm so, so tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pentaghastly posted:

Get a venti starbux doubleshot on ice with six blonde ristretto shots if you wanna go fast but cold brew gives you the shakes

Please don't order the caramel cloud macchiato. I have to keep explaining to baristas how its made and they're not absorbing the information at all and I'm so, so tired

I never drink coffee with ice in it. The ice displaces part of the volume of the cup and throws off my carefully calculated optimum espresso:milk ratio.

3 double ristrettos in a 12oz takeaway or a dine in mug and the rest of the cup topped up with cold milk is my usual summer order. A latte in winter. Preferably with a nice African single origin.

In Australia we don’t really drink Starbucks though. Most of them went out of business; and the handful that remain are in Hospital lobbies or for tourists that don’t know any better. Our coffee standards are pretty high and pretty much any dining establishment serves espresso to at least starbucks standard, though that's not exactly a high bar to clear. I can get some at least passable boutique roasted coffee even in small country towns, although country folk always burn the milk so you have to order cold coffee.

What is quite interesting though is that McDonald’s stores all have built in espresso bars; and astoundingly enough the coffee there is passable in an emergency - sometimes it’ll be a public holiday and my local McDonald’s will be the only place willing to fork out the $50-60 dollars an hour it would take to pay someone.

I consider myself pretty lucky though, I have 9 different cafes/espresso bars serving boutique locally roasted coffee within 10 minutes walk of my house including 1 that roasts their own coffee on site.

I would never order a caramel cloud macchiato; although I occasionally order a PB&J thickshake from one of the local American restaurants when I have hankering for American food.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 6, 2019