Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you sassed me it was so gentle i didn't notice it at all, you may need to work on your technique lol

wrt sitting here i am torn, on the one hand you didn't do what you said you would do, which is shameful: on the other you wrote 10k words, more than half of which were about a talking pig which is strongly meritorious.

here's what we're gonna do. i will not queue a ban, since you wrote the words you said you would. if someone is outraged by them not being the right kind of words then they can report your dereliction and i will act accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
So, I completely forgot about this. And, for a moment, I was terrified I'd be short of even my very limited goal. I finished a short story that I started in December, but that was about 1k words. I've been outlining a second draft of my novel, since I'm putting in some pretty heavy structural changes (ripping out filler and adding in new POVs). I had no idea how many words I wrote.

Turns out, I was okay.

A net addition of 1,025 words on the short story.

6,220 words on the outline. Grand total of 7,245.

Going to :toxx: 4k for February. I'm a little over halfway on the outline, but I don't want to wind up short. Hoping to start revising the bits of the first draft I'm keeping and writing the new parts before the end of the month, but it's Feb and I suck at winter motivation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
January check in.

No spillover allowed between months, nor most days (with very particular exceptions), so the goal to hit for February is 31,382 minimum (since I'm counting things cumulatively).

is a wiki a book
Jan 17, 2019
All right I’m gonna join this thread and :toxx: the minimum 4K words.

If I complete the 4K for the month I’m gonna try slightly increasing the word count each month until I finish the story I am working on. That’s how it works at the gym and writing is basically the same thing, right?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

p much. thunderdome is great for getting over yourself and Writing The Words too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bad Seafood posted:

January check in.

No spillover allowed between months, nor most days (with very particular exceptions), so the goal to hit for February is 31,382 minimum (since I'm counting things cumulatively).

doof if you think it would be helpful to share a daily word count spreadsheet feel free, though as above I'd prefer to enforce overall monthly word count rather than the more specific rules like 'must write only in lavender ink about squirrels'

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That shouldn't be necessary, I'm just clarifying: I'm not writing towards some goal that, once hit, I can take a load off and stop writing. Going over budget January doesn't mean I have to write less words in February, so I'm providing the number I have to beat, not the ceiling I need to meet.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:toxx: that i'll write at least 10K by the end of the month

not going to specify on what but i HOPE it's all on my dreamboats novel. Fingers crossed.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm very interested in this, as I desperately need motivation to get writing.

I'm gonna :toxx: for 4k words by end of month. I'll probably do more next month once I've built some decent habits and know what I'm capable of.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice one! Thunderdome is also full of newbies at the moment so it's a good time to jump in if you want some bite sized writing exercises.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Nice one! Thunderdome is also full of newbies at the moment so it's a good time to jump in if you want some bite sized writing exercises.

The thunderdome seems pretty good, but I've had a specific story rolling around in my head for the better part of 5 years. I've attempted to start it a half dozen times now, and always get about the same distance into it (not very far) and give up. Maybe I'll check it (thunderdome) out once I burn out from this novel once again!

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 12, 2019

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Checking in as I’ve been traveling. My would-be BCS story currently sits at this length:

However I am pausing it to work a brawl story for Thunderdome with a 5k-10k limit, so it looks like I’ll end up writing two 5k-ish pieces this month.

Second story currently sits here, so as of today I’m within 20 words of my goal.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Hooray, just hit my goal, and with a few days to spare!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice work! Report in, everyone else!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i'm cruising past 27K (I was at like 9 or 12K or something when i toxxed) so doing good. I'll post the screengrab with my final total on the 28th, since I think i got a lot more words in me!

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im on track but clearly going over wcs is for type a's

is a wiki a book
Jan 17, 2019
Checking in with some words.

I'm really glad I wrote this month instead of doing my usual thing where I don't write but say that I did.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

is a wiki a book posted:

Checking in with some words.

I'm really glad I wrote this month instead of doing my usual thing where I don't write but say that I did.

:iia:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Previous novel word count:

Current novel word count:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Checking in:

On my outline from last month, growth of 4,330 words.

Additional 720 words of actual drafting, cause I suck in the winter. Total of 5,050 words.

:toxx:ing for another 4K in March, so I can make sure I stay motivated.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

February check in.

Bad Seafood posted:

No spillover allowed between months so the goal to hit for February is 31,382 minimum.
Target for March is 48,762.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
gone.

take the moon fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 1, 2019

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

My thing that was at 680 is now:

Goal - smashed!

Clocked in at just under 8k instead of 5k.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm I think I shall :toxx: to hit 45K on this novel by the end of March, but I'm secretly hoping to hit 50K (2scared2toxx for that though)

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

:toxx: for this month:

- Finish at least one of the stories I started in Feb.
- One new story in the 4k-ish bracket.

I’m not super big on trying to guess exact word counts atm because my stuff’s been coming out shorter than I anticipate. So I’ll say minimum of 6k more words but the real toxx goal is two finished stories, regardless of wordcount.

I have a whole shelf of perfectly serviceable fiction. I write at a high enough level. I should have more credits than I do and the only reason I don’t is because I’m extremely lazy once I get my first drafts finished. This ends in 2019!

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

I will write >10,000 words in the month of March.

This is where I'm at right now:

So let's say I have to break 15,000 by April 1st. :toxx:

is a wiki a book
Jan 17, 2019
All right, I have time and few responsibilities for the next month, so I am upping my next :toxx: from 4k to 10k.

10000 fresh, glistening words are getting slapped down on the counter by April 1st or I forfeit my 10 dollars.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I don't know how much free time I'll have this month, but hey let's see what happens. I'm going to go wild and toxx myself for 10k more words by the end of the month!

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

Anomalous Blowout posted:

:toxx: for this month:

- Finish at least one of the stories I started in Feb.
- One new story in the 4k-ish bracket.

I’m not super big on trying to guess exact word counts atm because my stuff’s been coming out shorter than I anticipate. So I’ll say minimum of 6k more words but the real toxx goal is two finished stories, regardless of wordcount.

I have a whole shelf of perfectly serviceable fiction. I write at a high enough level. I should have more credits than I do and the only reason I don’t is because I’m extremely lazy once I get my first drafts finished. This ends in 2019!

Accountability post.

Finished story #1.

Gonna let it percolate for a couple weeks, then edit the heezy out of it and try to sub it to some magazines.

Also, instead of working on short fiction I decided to go off the rails and start a new novel, because it felt like the right time. This has proven to be a good decision. I started this baby on the 8th of March and…

So I’ve hit over 20k for the month, which is… moderately astounding. I guess I do good work when my husband is away.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Adam Vegas posted:

I will write >10,000 words in the month of March.

This is where I'm at right now:

So let's say I have to break 15,000 by April 1st. :toxx:

Accountability!

Just about made it. That was tougher than I expected.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How is everyone else doing?

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im fairly boned. wc is fine but im not gonna be done the thing i said id be. still worldbuilding some stuff lol

take the moon posted:

a 500 wd thing for another thing

this checked out tho

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Didn't have a ton of free time this month, but managed to just squeeze in my goal.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
So, I deleted everything I drafted and restarted, then got lazy over my kid's spring break, so I didn't get as much done as I could have, but I still hit my goal.

Another 4K :toxx: for April.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
gone.

take the moon fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 1, 2019

is a wiki a book
Jan 17, 2019
I have brought BIG WORDS.

Gonna :toxx: 20k for next month.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

Did this in addition to my 8600 word story:

March goal = smashed.

Gonna take a day to think about April goals since I have not been in a good brain space lately and I don’t want to shackle myself to a goal that’s gonna make me feel worse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

March check in.

Bad Seafood posted:

Target for March is 48,762.
Target for April is 65,379.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

hmmm I think I shall :toxx: to hit 45K on this novel by the end of March, but I'm secretly hoping to hit 50K (2scared2toxx for that though)

dnf

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tsk