Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

credburn posted:

Hey, fellas. Girlfriend and I have never bought a car before; our cars were handmedowns from parents and they've lasted us a good while but simultaneously both our cars have died and we need a new one. We don't drive very much, but when we do it's usually on 60+ mile trips on the freeway. We don't have a lot of money (5,000 bux maybe max) and we just need one single car.

Found this one. It's a Used 2004 Saturn L-Series L300 for 2,000 dollars, 97,000 miles.

...can someone tell me if this is a suspicious price? Or is this a garbage vehicle?

Not a bad choice but nothing great about that generation Saturns either. I'd rather go with a Honda/Toyota for an older car like that but in that price range will be hard.

I'd also consider a Hyundai like this
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Or if you can get up to 3k this is a much better car than both

But honestly, if you can afford it, go up to 5k and get a more modern and safe car that might actually last a few years

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...kType=spotlight

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Thanks, guys! I imagine that my understanding of cars similar to my father's understanding of computers. This helps a lot.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What are everyone's thoughts here on the $35k (Plus Tax Credit) for the Tesla Model 3? Personally, it doesn't seem like that bad of deal and you don't really miss out on much if anything at all.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see any obvious huge red flags taking that deal. If I were in a position to comfortably spent 35k on new wheels, and my use case comfortably supported owning an EV, and I had a garage etc. for the purpose, then I'd probably take the deal.

I would also check out the competing EVs like Volt, Bolt, Leaf, etc. and be prepared for the possibility that Tesla won't exist in its current form in 5+ years.

One big difference I see spending 35k on model 3 vs. another new car is resale value, which is very important to me when I buy a car. I expect residuals to be very low compared to any ICE vehicle due in part to the rate of innovation in EVs.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 1, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I thought the $35k Model 3 didn't exist but it looks like they finally brought it back to the website today. They removed most of the premium features and gave it a smaller battery, getting a range similar to a Leaf or Bolt.

Personally, I read the Elon Musk thread so I often see so many people with assembly issues with their Model 3 and people who need service on them taking weeks or months just to get basic parts that I would never buy one. But that's also just selection bias and me personally hating the man.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

FCKGW posted:

I thought the $35k Model 3 didn't exist but it looks like they finally brought it back to the website today. They removed most of the premium features and gave it a smaller battery, getting a range similar to a Leaf or Bolt.

Personally, I read the Elon Musk thread so I often see so many people with assembly issues with their Model 3 and people who need service on them taking weeks or months just to get basic parts that I would never buy one. But that's also just selection bias and me personally hating the man.

Nah it was in the plan and in this case was never thought to be Tesla vaporware. Their plan was always to sell the more expensive one first, although I expected them to bring the cheaper one to market faster than they did.

The concerns you bring up are real, their QC seems a little less sophisticated than other makes, and parts supply chain issues can be significant in case of repairs. That being said customer service seems good, if there is crap wrong with your new Tesla they're probably going to fix it, even if it's tiny paint chips / excessive orange peel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tab8715 posted:

What are everyone's thoughts here on the $35k (Plus Tax Credit) for the Tesla Model 3? Personally, it doesn't seem like that bad of deal and you don't really miss out on much if anything at all.

You should probably spend $2K more on the slightly better battery and interior.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Something Offal posted:

The concerns you bring up are real, their QC seems a little less sophisticated than other makes, and parts supply chain issues can be significant in case of repairs. That being said customer service seems good, if there is crap wrong with your new Tesla they're probably going to fix it, even if it's tiny paint chips / excessive orange peel.

I've been hearing that Tesla currently has multi-month waiting periods for service, especially minor things like QC defects. They've been so focused on scaling up their manufacturing that their servicing capacity and parts availability has not kept up. And of course there's really no one else other than Tesla that can do servicing.

A colleague of mine has a Model 3, and he was super stoked on it when he first got it. And yet now a few months later he's back to daily driving his old E46 M3 that he originally planned to sell after getting the Model 3.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Thanks for the suggestions the other day, we’re probably checking out cars (including a Mazda 3) early next week. The Forte5 looked interesting, but apparently nobody in the area is carrying any.

Quick reasoning on why we want a hatch- we’re in a city area, and this is our only car so we want something fairly all purpose. Hauling a few larger/bulky items while still being able to park in small spaces and interact better with pedestrians/cyclists is a pretty important combo to us.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tab8715 posted:

I have no idea why you wouldn't buy a Chevy Bolt.
You get the advantages of a car made by a company that actually knows how to build sub-6 figure cars, dealers in BFE, hatch utility, and you can get them under MSRP. Plus it is way less likely that Mary Barra will turn your car off because you had someone else fix it/mean tweeted her.
Tesla is also apparently horribly unreliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Thanks for the suggestions the other day, we’re probably checking out cars (including a Mazda 3) early next week. The Forte5 looked interesting, but apparently nobody in the area is carrying any.

Quick reasoning on why we want a hatch- we’re in a city area, and this is our only car so we want something fairly all purpose. Hauling a few larger/bulky items while still being able to park in small spaces and interact better with pedestrians/cyclists is a pretty important combo to us.

I forget if anyone suggested the Elantra GT but that is also a pretty good hatch buy.

nm posted:

I have no idea why you wouldn't buy a Chevy Bolt.
You get the advantages of a car made by a company that actually knows how to build sub-6 figure cars, dealers in BFE, hatch utility, and you can get them under MSRP. Plus it is way less likely that Mary Barra will turn your car off because you had someone else fix it/mean tweeted her.
Tesla is also apparently horribly unreliable.

Bolt seats are absurdly uncomfortable, like Spirit Airlines levels, to the extent that it basically ruins the car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zapplez posted:

4 stars in a modern car is actually pretty bad.

lol gently caress off

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
This gave me a chuckle a while back and came to mind on the "why does everyone say hatchback now" post:

https://jalopnik.com/sedans-dont-make-sense-anymore-1826673000

What's up with the Hyundai Velostar? There's one that parks near me and looks pretty OK, dunno if I've seen them mentioned here much though. I have dreams of my 5th Gen Maxima getting hit by a meteor so I can justify hopping on the hatch bandwagon, thinking it would fill the lame dad slot of a Miata sounds super fun but I have to be able to throw kids in the back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it looks like a motorcycle helmet and drives like an elantra, it's warm at best
why would you want one over say, a GTi or a Civic Si

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like the goofy rear end three door design.

Not sure if it looks good in person or only certain angles...

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
If you're looking at EVs go look at the Bolt, the new Kia, and the Leaf extended range. You also should be aware that the tax credit is ending on some of these at various times over the next year.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

credburn posted:

Thanks, guys! I imagine that my understanding of cars similar to my father's understanding of computers. This helps a lot.
Whatever you choose, be sure to take it to a reputable independent mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cascadia Pirate posted:

If you're looking at EVs go look at the Bolt, the new Kia, and the Leaf extended range. You also should be aware that the tax credit is ending on some of these at various times over the next year.

I thought it in was in for good and they weren't going to remove it? On the other the hand, I was impressed with the Nissan Leaf. It's just a Prius but EV and nicer. I just wish they'd throw the same engine in a normal car or fastback.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teh_Broseph posted:

This gave me a chuckle a while back and came to mind on the "why does everyone say hatchback now" post:

https://jalopnik.com/sedans-dont-make-sense-anymore-1826673000

What's up with the Hyundai Velostar? There's one that parks near me and looks pretty OK, dunno if I've seen them mentioned here much though. I have dreams of my 5th Gen Maxima getting hit by a meteor so I can justify hopping on the hatch bandwagon, thinking it would fill the lame dad slot of a Miata sounds super fun but I have to be able to throw kids in the back.

Its not very good. I mean, its better than a Chrysler, but its less modern or cost effective compared to the Elantra or Forte. Its just looks cool. But its got a boring old regular engine. Its a mirage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Something Offal posted:

Nah it was in the plan and in this case was never thought to be Tesla vaporware. Their plan was always to sell the more expensive one first, although I expected them to bring the cheaper one to market faster than they did.

The $35k Model 3 was on the website from the beginning but was unable to be pre-ordered. When they started their ramp-up of production the $35k model disappeared completely and no one knew if it would ever come back.

As far as build quality, I like to post this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIo8e12sBM

Again, I'm no fan of Tesla however so don't put any stock into my opinions.

Cascadia Pirate posted:

The Hyundai Kona Electric is supposed to really good too, but I'm not sure if it's been released to mass market yet. Also starts at $36k before credits
https://thenewswheel.com/2019-hyundai-kona-electric-named-edmunds-editors-choice-for-best-ev/

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it looks like a motorcycle helmet and drives like an elantra, it's warm at best
why would you want one over say, a GTi or a Civic Si

zapplez posted:

Its not very good. I mean, its better than a Chrysler, but its less modern or cost effective compared to the Elantra or Forte. Its just looks cool. But its got a boring old regular engine. Its a mirage.

Hah cool cool, good to know. I wouldn't say I want one over the others, just don't think my ~ideal~ car exists* so I'm getting a feel for what's out there; just happen to walk by one of those Velos that looks not-completely-awful with a greyish paint job every week and I hadn't seen any chatter. GTi, Fiesta ST, and maybe a BRZ were my list to watch and test drive sometime, I'll add the Civic to that too.

*looks like a '65-'75 American muscle car, drives like a Miata, can safely transport 2 kids, makes at least somewhat financial sense

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Looks are going to be tough but really any of the current hot hatches will fit the bill. The FiST is too small for two kids. Try the FoST instead if you want fomoco product for whatever reason. I have one, it's good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

teh_Broseph posted:

GTi, Fiesta ST, and maybe a BRZ were my list to watch and test drive sometime, I'll add the Civic to that too.

If I was able to wait, I was going to look at the upcoming Mazda3.

Maybe look at Minis? Not sure how they are upkeep wise.

I'm stupidly attracted to Kia Souls.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do not look at minis unless you are bape and none of you are bape

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It's OK I literally can't look at Minis

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not look at minis unless you are bape and none of you are bape

The bullshit index on modern Minis is insane. After watching the ETCG series on it, I can't even justify buying one as a throwaway track toy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd like to read more about why modern minis are bad, is there an article someone could link? Or just tell me more?

Is it because they're a badly made plastic simulacrum several generations removed from anything that made the original good?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd like to read more about why modern minis are bad, is there an article someone could link? Or just tell me more?

Is it because they're a badly made plastic simulacrum several generations removed from anything that made the original good?

Its all the drawbacks of buying and maintaining a BMW but you don't even get a BMW at the end of the day. They are doubly expensive and a pain to upkeep compared to other fun small cars.

They are cute though and girls love to drive them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Something Offal posted:

That being said customer service seems good, if there is crap wrong with your new Tesla they're probably going to fix it, even if it's tiny paint chips / excessive orange peel.

From what I've seen this depends a lot on how many Twitter followers you have.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Hello friends. Last time I posted in this thread I was asking about cheap-ish wagons. You all gave me some very good advice that I promptly ignored because I decided that I really missed my E46 and allowed my budget to balloon out of control and... well anyway!

That ship has sailed, but I find myself in another car purchasing dilemma that I definitely didn't expect to be in. My girlfriend who really does not like to drive is most likely starting a new job that she'll probably have to commute to. It is a super short (<3 mile) commute, but it's not easily accessible by the public transit around here and she's not a fan of riding taxis/ubers all the time. She's probably going to end up biking some days, but the traffic/weather situation doesn't make that a really reliable option.

She wants something dirt cheap. Like, under $3k dirt cheap. She's not interested in cars or driving and has outsourced the whole thing to me. My main concern is just finding the nicest car at that price point that isn't a death trap and that won't immediately die. This car will be driven very little (I'll be shocked if it does 3000 miles/year) and I don't mind working on/maintaining something like this, so while something wildly unreliable is out of the question it really doesn't have to be bulletproof either. It needs to be dependable if maintained, but that's all.

Proposed Budget: $3k or less. I can add to or stretch this if it's really worthwhile.
New or Used: lol
Body Style: She likes SUVs. She also doesn't really give a gently caress. Smaller is probably better for parking reasons.
How will you be using the car?: Really short commutes. She may occasionally want to haul her parents around to doctors appointments and things, so it can't be a two-seater. It's unlikely that it'll even be driven around town much since I'm sure she'll still use the bus when she can.
What aspects are most important to you? At least kind of dependable and ideally something that won't chug gas since it's going to be used for roughly 100% around town driving. I'd personally prefer to find something that isn't a total rust bucket so she's at least not driving a car that's falling apart around her.

I realize I can just go on Craigslist and starting picking randomly (which is kind of what I'm doing), but I guess I'm sort of looking for random suggestions on things in this price range I might not have thought of. This isn't actually a pressing purchase, so assume I have a more or less indefinite amount of time to wait for something "good."

Edit- I should probably add that $3k isn't a huge amount of money to either of us, so this isn't a purchase that has to last forever. The price point is really a choice that's being made based on priorities, not necessity.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 2, 2019

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
There are a lot of old RAV4s and CR-Vs out there that would fit what you're looking for. $3000 will get you a beater for sure, but they're more or less lifted Corollas and Civics, so as long as the car isn't totally trashed it should be as reliable as you can ever expect from a beater.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Don't get hung up on gas mileage. You're driving so little that I don't think fuel efficiency is going to be a big factor in running costs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Don't get hung up on gas mileage. You're driving so little that I don't think fuel efficiency is going to be a big factor in running costs.

Seconded. At that little mileage even single digit MPG wouldn't hurt too much - not that I'm recommending a Suburban.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paradoxish posted:

Hello friends. Last time I posted in this thread I was asking about cheap-ish wagons. You all gave me some very good advice that I promptly ignored because I decided that I really missed my E46 and allowed my budget to balloon out of control and... well anyway!

That ship has sailed, but I find myself in another car purchasing dilemma that I definitely didn't expect to be in. My girlfriend who really does not like to drive is most likely starting a new job that she'll probably have to commute to. It is a super short (<3 mile) commute, but it's not easily accessible by the public transit around here and she's not a fan of riding taxis/ubers all the time. She's probably going to end up biking some days, but the traffic/weather situation doesn't make that a really reliable option.

She wants something dirt cheap. Like, under $3k dirt cheap. She's not interested in cars or driving and has outsourced the whole thing to me. My main concern is just finding the nicest car at that price point that isn't a death trap and that won't immediately die. This car will be driven very little (I'll be shocked if it does 3000 miles/year) and I don't mind working on/maintaining something like this, so while something wildly unreliable is out of the question it really doesn't have to be bulletproof either. It needs to be dependable if maintained, but that's all.

Proposed Budget: $3k or less. I can add to or stretch this if it's really worthwhile.
New or Used: lol
Body Style: She likes SUVs. She also doesn't really give a gently caress. Smaller is probably better for parking reasons.
How will you be using the car?: Really short commutes. She may occasionally want to haul her parents around to doctors appointments and things, so it can't be a two-seater. It's unlikely that it'll even be driven around town much since I'm sure she'll still use the bus when she can.
What aspects are most important to you? At least kind of dependable and ideally something that won't chug gas since it's going to be used for roughly 100% around town driving. I'd personally prefer to find something that isn't a total rust bucket so she's at least not driving a car that's falling apart around her.

I realize I can just go on Craigslist and starting picking randomly (which is kind of what I'm doing), but I guess I'm sort of looking for random suggestions on things in this price range I might not have thought of. This isn't actually a pressing purchase, so assume I have a more or less indefinite amount of time to wait for something "good."

Edit- I should probably add that $3k isn't a huge amount of money to either of us, so this isn't a purchase that has to last forever. The price point is really a choice that's being made based on priorities, not necessity.

CRV

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ckType=otherVDP

Pilot with way too many miles

old infiniti what could go wrong?

2006 sante fe

But in all seriousness, buy the newest, lowest driven CRV or RAV4. And at your budget, you will be spending atleast a thousnad over the first few years in repairs like brakes,tires, etc.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I'm here because I'm tired of my current car trying to rob or kill me.

I currently have a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES. I bought it in 2012 because it was green and I liked the Top Gear episode it was in (smart I know) and it was a pretty good deal at the time for my first car. Fully loaded except for the moon roof and leather seats (neither of which I need, leather I 100% don't want). I've had fun with the car during the time I've had it. It's been fully paid off for about 2 years.

However, this car is going to be the end of me. The clutch has already been replaced once for free (and that one they had to replace twice because the new one was broken when it arrived at the shop), and it's still a piece of poo poo. You want to move? Right now? Because a truck is headed your way? Hmm, let me think about it for a bit... can't be too hasty!

That and some other things that've cost me money on it or are failing me recently have had me thinking of just getting something more modern.

Proposed Budget: $25,000 at the high end (that's a down payment and loan combined if required)
New or Used: Used is fine, but maybe no more than by 2 years.
Body Style: 4 Door Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: I have a commute that's no longer than 1 hr each way, but I do love doing road trips. I've taken my previous car to San Diego and back as well as to the other provinces. So it should be decently comfortable for distance driving.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? What aspects are most important to you?

What I like on the Fiesta: The size, the large back window, the start button (I'm shallow), the OK regular maintenance costs, the decent gas economy. Cupholders that could hold grenades.
What I hate: The odd-rear end tire size, the PIECE OF poo poo CLUTCH.
What I want: A better stereo system (more modern, maybe Apple CarPlay, and better speakers), a more comfortable ride, a clutch that isn't dogshit.

I've been thinking about the 2016-2018 Kia Forte 5. Every year I go to the local auto show and for the last few years this car has always been the top of my list. I'd very much like to hear what people think about it, specifically for any recurring problems, maintenance issues, or maybe if there's something better than it out there.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 3, 2019

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
My wife had a 2014 Forte sedan with the 2.0 GDI for around 2 years. It was good for what it was but got somewhat disappointing gas mileage - mid 20s with probably 60% suburb driving and the rest highway. The tech seemed dated, especially considering 2014 was the first year of that generation. Other than that no issues but we sold it around 50k miles.

Before buying another one, I'd look at the Mazda3, Civic and maybe even the Corolla hatch/Scion equivalent.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

zapplez posted:

But in all seriousness, buy the newest, lowest driven CRV or RAV4. And at your budget, you will be spending atleast a thousnad over the first few years in repairs like brakes,tires, etc.

For $3000, I would ignore the SUV thing if possible and buy the best condition civic/corolla/matrix/vibe because you'll get much nicer and probably newer example.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Get a GTI.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chicken Doodle posted:

I'm here because I'm tired of my current car trying to rob or kill me.

I currently have a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES. I bought it in 2012 because it was green and I liked the Top Gear episode it was in (smart I know) and it was a pretty good deal at the time for my first car. Fully loaded except for the moon roof and leather seats (neither of which I need, leather I 100% don't want). I've had fun with the car during the time I've had it. It's been fully paid off for about 2 years.

However, this car is going to be the end of me. The clutch has already been replaced once for free (and that one they had to replace twice because the new one was broken when it arrived at the shop), and it's still a piece of poo poo. You want to move? Right now? Because a truck is headed your way? Hmm, let me think about it for a bit... can't be too hasty!

That and some other things that've cost me money on it or are failing me recently have had me thinking of just getting something more modern.

Proposed Budget: $25,000 at the high end (that's a down payment and loan combined if required)
New or Used: Used is fine, but maybe no more than by 2 years.
Body Style: 4 Door Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: I have a commute that's no longer than 1 hr each way, but I do love doing road trips. I've taken my previous car to San Diego and back as well as to the other provinces. So it should be decently comfortable for distance driving.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? What aspects are most important to you?

What I like on the Fiesta: The size, the large back window, the start button (I'm shallow), the OK regular maintenance costs, the decent gas economy. Cupholders that could hold grenades.
What I hate: The odd-rear end tire size, the PIECE OF poo poo CLUTCH.
What I want: A better stereo system (more modern, maybe Apple CarPlay, and better speakers), a more comfortable ride, a clutch that isn't dogshit.

I've been thinking about the 2016-2018 Kia Forte 5. Every year I go to the local auto show and for the last few years this car has always been the top of my list. I'd very much like to hear what people think about it, specifically for any recurring problems, maintenance issues, or maybe if there's something better than it out there.

You can afford new at that price. If safety is at all a concern, buy a new Civic hatch, the lowest model with honda safety package. Its a fantastic car and way above anything else in that class, and is a "next gen" car that you will be able to keep for a long time. It also might save your life.

Otherwise the typical hot hatch answers. Mazda 3 , Elantra, Forte, VW.

But with your budget I'd go and just get the best and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zapplez posted:

You can afford new at that price. If safety is at all a concern, buy a new Civic hatch, the lowest model with honda safety package. Its a fantastic car and way above anything else in that class, and is a "next gen" car that you will be able to keep for a long time. It also might save your life.

Otherwise the typical hot hatch answers. Mazda 3 , Elantra, Forte, VW.

But with your budget I'd go and just get the best and be done with it.

He's in Vancouver, so it's 25,000 Canuck Bucks, which is about 18,000 real dollars. He's better off with a year or two old used car for that money.

Seconding the Mazda3 hatch. You get so much more car for the money.