Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Well at least it's not floating heads

https://twitter.com/ItsJaimeHere/status/1101239120507138048?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

That's just the original poster art from a time when movies had good posters which is a cool and good thing to do for the box

edit: I forgot :911:

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 1, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Whats the deal with "floating heads?"

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

Whats the deal with "floating heads?"

In case you don’t know, it’s a poster design that has large pictures of the actors faces just there. It’s not there character in a scene or a cool representation of the themes, but it’s direct marketing saying “watch this movie! It has Bruce Willis in it!”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

In case you don’t know, it’s a poster design that has large pictures of the actors faces just there. It’s not there character in a scene or a cool representation of the themes, but it’s direct marketing saying “watch this movie! It has Bruce Willis in it!”

Ah, those floating heads. For some reason I wasn't putting them together :negative:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
my favourite posters are the ones where they clearly shopped the stars heads onto other people's bodies because they couldn't get them for a photoshoot

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the romance one with the floating head that trying to fly away.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Rirse posted:

What the romance one with the floating head that trying to fly away.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I love how it looks like there's flames shooting out of his head, as if he's a rocketship.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cemetry Gator posted:

I love how it looks like there's flames shooting out of his head, as if he's a rocketship.

His home planet obviously needs him

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Her facial expression is pretty great in that context because it looks like she saw his head turn into a rocketship and fly off and she turned away because she was a little frightened but mostly very confused.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I’ve been thinking about getting a region-free 4K player. Any recommendations? (It looks like not having a bunch of bundled features I don’t want is a potential bonus. )

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I’ve been thinking about getting a region-free 4K player. Any recommendations? (It looks like not having a bunch of bundled features I don’t want is a potential bonus. )
UHD is region free on its own. If you want to play region free Blu-rays then that's another story.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

4k is region free so loving buy a One S or whatever

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That's useful information. Most of the Blu-rays I would actually want aren't 4K, though, so I'd want one that can play region-free Blu-ray discs. Any recommendations?

(I guess it kind of depends on whether 4K winds up replacing Blu-ray? I'm just not sure how many new formats we can go through before people get tired of it.)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rand Brittain posted:

That's useful information. Most of the Blu-rays I would actually want aren't 4K, though, so I'd want one that can play region-free Blu-ray discs. Any recommendations?

(I guess it kind of depends on whether 4K winds up replacing Blu-ray? I'm just not sure how many new formats we can go through before people get tired of it.)
It will not replace normal Blu-Rays. I wouldn’t be surprised if DVD outsells both BR and UHD combined.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

david_a posted:

It will not replace normal Blu-Rays. I wouldn’t be surprised if DVD outsells both BR and UHD combined.

Hm, you think so? It seems like it's easier to get a 4K TV these days than one that isn't, but I'm not sure how that translates into disc sales.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think 4K will remain a niche format since the vast majority of films would have no real difference between a 1080p Blu-ray and 4K UHD. It's not like going from DVD to Blu-ray where you had vast improvements in resolution, color space, and compression - not to mention new transferring and mastering. UHD has slightly better color space and more resolution, but you really need projection to see the improvement over Blu-ray.

It's not a failing of the format, it's just that mastering has reached such an excellent level of quality that it really has more to do with your setup.

I'm expecting 4K to be more of a thing for streaming, though there's a lot of work to be done. I watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix and while the 4K looked very good, it has way more compression than I'd find acceptable. One reason why I'll gladly buy Blu-rays or UHDs of some of these films so compression isn't corrupting an otherwise excellent image.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even if UHD doesn't really take off and dies out after a few years to Digital, the fact most movies comes with codes for 4K digital codes means there isn't too much of a risk buying into the format.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rirse posted:

Even if UHD doesn't really take off and dies out after a few years to Digital

And then everyone hits their bandwidth caps by the 10th of the month, because gently caress you, Ajit Pai.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anyone able to find word on what's going on with the Hellboy UHD release? The tentative release date was supposed to be today but then all the retail stores took it down from the website and it disappeared from bluray.com too. I wonder if it's delayed until May, which is when the Hellboy II UHD is due out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

And then everyone hits their bandwidth caps by the 10th of the month, because gently caress you, Ajit Pai.

Yeah, I really don't know if this will give physical media a huge boost.

I don't think that the average person isn't going to give a poo poo about the data cap, and will just go ahead and pay the extra $90 a month for a higher data cap that lasts until the 28th, and eat the overage charges for the last couple of days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Microsoft throws shade at their own products now. They're calling their disc-less Xbox One S the "Xbox One S All-Digital Edition." :sad:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Microsoft throws shade at their own products now. They're calling their disc-less Xbox One S the "Xbox One S All-Digital Edition." :sad:

It's true, Your Honor. This console has no discs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I Before E posted:

It's true, Your Honor. This console has no discs.

:golfclap:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/03/05/james-cameron-might-finally-be-putting-the-abyss-on-blu-ray

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Should I make the same lovely joke I always make about The Whole Bloody Affair and the original versions of Star Wars?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Should I make the same lovely joke I always make about The Whole Bloody Affair and the original versions of Star Wars?

Sure why not

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

As the guy who every few months posts in this thread bitching about the lack of “The Abyss” on HD home media, I’m both pumped and skeptical.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Boywhiz88 posted:

As the guy who every few months posts in this thread bitching about the lack of “The Abyss” on HD home media, I’m both pumped and skeptical.

What if it's only the theatrical cut, and not the superior director's cut?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Sure why not

I guess I already did. Something, something The Day the Clown Cried.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

What if it's only the theatrical cut, and not the superior director's cut?

Seems unlikely to me, Cameron usually seems to be pretty proud of his director's cuts. Unlike, say, Ridley Scott who does an intro to every director's cut where he basically says "we found some footage that had been cut and thought some fans might enjoy seeing it, but keep in mind the theatrical cut is the real movie".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Seems unlikely to me, Cameron usually seems to be pretty proud of his director's cuts. Unlike, say, Ridley Scott who does an intro to every director's cut where he basically says "we found some footage that had been cut and thought some fans might enjoy seeing it, but keep in mind the theatrical cut is the real movie".

There are three cuts of Avatar on the most recent re-release.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I guess I already did. Something, something The Day the Clown Cried.

That one has a release date now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That one has a release date now.

Isn't that not really a release date so much as "People can see it after this date."?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The most recent Terminator 2 UHD was the theatrical cut though, so who knows. Maybe he feels more strongly about his cut of The Abyss than T2 though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

The most recent Terminator 2 UHD was the theatrical cut though, so who knows. Maybe he feels more strongly about his cut of The Abyss than T2 though.

After all the bullshit about the Abyss getting a proper video release it would be kind of funny if it didn't have both versions of the movie. Why the hell wouldn't it?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

EL BROMANCE posted:

IIRC in the commentary he says he thinks the extra scenes in the T2 special edition are good, but they make an already long movie even longer and are just character development moments that don't further the plot. And he's right in that sense, but the scene where they pull out Arnie's CPU and John has to stop Sarah from smashing it is so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that sequence is rad. I think I loved the DC when I was a kid because it was before DVDs and deleted scenes, and it was ‘more terminator!’. Same with Aliens SE, I remember that tape used to be worth a good amount in the UK as it was hard to get and the sentry gun scene was cool.