Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol if they think they’re getting work from me even with my rear end in the office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vulture Culture posted:

How much worker productivity does the average company lose every year to sick days? Having a WFH-friendly culture is a great way to get people to stop avoidably infecting their coworkers with communicable diseases.

I have 120 hours of sick leave available at my public sector job and I still have hard time shaking the mindset that they will be actively mad at me for taking a sick day. At my previous job I got dinged on a review for "attendance" by being out 4 days in a calendar year!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Companies who count “attendance” as a reward metric are lovely, but those that count your EARNED TIME OFF against you can gently caress right the hell off

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vargatron posted:

I have 120 hours of sick leave available at my public sector job and I still have hard time shaking the mindset that they will be actively mad at me for taking a sick day. At my previous job I got dinged on a review for "attendance" by being out 4 days in a calendar year!

That's super abusive and you shouldn't feel bad for using sick time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Question for best thread,

What's the best way to tell senior staff stop being overbearing yet have high standards yet simultaneously tell new hires to be more upfront - OR - if you know something don't just sit there and listen, speak up because if you don't we will assume you don't know if you just sit there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

What's the best way to tell senior staff stop being overbearing yet have high standards yet simultaneously tell new hires to be more upfront - OR - if you know something don't just sit there and listen, speak up because if you don't we will assume you don't know if you just sit there.
What's the problem you're trying to solve?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

I’m good at translating drunk angry ranting but you lost me man.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

What's the problem you're trying to solve?

Senior Staff - They're coming across as assholes to new hires (but fine among each other) or basically people straight out of school and this is their first real job.

Newbies - You came out of great schools, I've seen your past work it's solid but I wish they would be more aggressive in meetings? Too often I see someone senior explaining something that I know they already know but they won't interrupt because their afraid it'll be rude. Some members of management think that this means they are over their head, lack the technical skills but I disagree.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

Senior Staff - They're coming across as assholes to new hires (but fine among each other) or basically people straight out of school and this is their first real job.

Newbies - You came out of great schools, I've seen your past work it's solid but I wish they would be more aggressive in meetings? Too often I see someone senior explaining something that I know they already know but they won't interrupt because their afraid it'll be rude. Some members of management think that this means they are over their head, lack the technical skills but I disagree.

Are these senior Staff on the same team? Are we talking about a helpdesk?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, if your senior staff are dicks super green newbies aren't going to argue with them. You have to foster a good environment for engineering discussions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sickening posted:

Are these senior Staff on the same team? Are we talking about a helpdesk?

Most just engineering but some help desk.

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean, if your senior staff are dicks super green newbies aren't going to argue with them. You have to foster a good environment for engineering discussions.

I wouldn't say they are dicks but just kinda tone it down maybe? How do I the latter?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get the older guys to engage with the youngs. Youngs to ask questions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

Most just engineering but some help desk.

I wouldn't say they are dicks but just kinda tone it down maybe? How do I the latter?

To be honest you kind of want to have some kind of formal separation between your senior guys and non-senior folks for your standard day to day when it makes sense to. You want your senior guys to guide and mentor the newbies but you also want to give them some room so they don't have to babysit. Its hard to balance it. Its even harder to find senior guys who have personalities capable of being able to do these kinds of things with minimal friction.

Does that mean they don't work together when needed? No. Does that mean you that when someone is needlessly a dick to others you should change everything? Also no.

I am and always have been from the school that an rear end in a top hat isn't worth having no matter how knowledgeable or efficient he is at his work. I would rather have people who are awesome human being first and competent people second when I have the choice. Human nature though is a fickle thing and it seems that every time you punt an rear end in a top hat out of the org, someone who wasn't as much of an rear end in a top hat before turns into the big rear end in a top hat. Its like some serious sith lord bullshit.

The most important thing as a leader is to make clear that being an rear end in a top hat isn't the behavior you are encouraging. Its also super important to jump on rear end in a top hat behavior as soon as it happens. Give an rear end in a top hat any room at all and they will not change. I have someone on a pip right now for this exact poo poo. First time I told him to stop his bullshit and the second time it was straight to a pip. Make the rear end in a top hat humble whenever possible.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 1, 2019

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i'm sorry json, i knew you well but my penis belongs to yaml now

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

i'm sorry json, i knew you well but my penis belongs to yaml now

yaml is poo poo because it didn't learn the lesson from python that whitespace sensitivity is stupid.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

The company I work for are a bunch of loving babies that don't trust people to work from home. Asses in seats.

:same:
:negative:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today I had to help one of our interns who's studying understand subnetting. I am pleased to report that after learning it the Lammle way last year for my CCNA instead of the godawful Cisco way, it actually stuck well enough for me to remember it, do it, and explain it.

Tab8715 posted:

"Stop me if you already know this"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Fresh grads and otherwise first time IT/Dev people are notorious for their lack of confidence in the face of the dawning realization of how much there is to know and by a perverse need to compare themselves to 25-year veterans. Even those who aren't down on themselves are probably going to fold under the confident disdain of a senior colleague. I feel like the onus is almost entirely on the senior staff to foster an environment where the junior employees can gain their footing.

Alternatively you can be like amazon and only hire people who are cool with stepping into the Thunderdome on their first day. :black101:

Edit: I realize my comment isn't actually answering any questions. A frank discussion with the senior staff about how they're intimidating the kids might be in order.

Edit the second: I don't know I just feel like the answer to the question, "How do I talk to someone about..." is "Just talk to them." Chances are they're not even aware they're doing something wrong because nerds can't communicate as evidenced by the original question and my rambling response that required three edits it's two-thirty in the morning and I have insomnia okay?

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 1, 2019

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Methanar posted:

yaml is poo poo because it didn't learn the lesson from python that whitespace sensitivity is stupid.

lol, look at this poo poo rear end opinion

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Whitespace isn't why YAML is bad. YAML is terrible because the spec is an 80-page shitshow and it's deliberately built for untrusted code execution:

https://arp242.net/weblog/yaml_probably_not_so_great_after_all.html

TOML or jsonnet are better options that don't have a big history of vulnerabilities and gotchas associated with them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Newly hired grads aren't going to be very active in meetings because they don't yet have the confidence and knowledge in their new roles. Senior staff should be actively trying to mentor new hires because the newbies are going to be the ones carrying the torch. If senior staff are going to be assholes then it just creates a bad template for the newbies to follow and the cycle will repeat.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Vargatron posted:

Newly hired grads aren't going to be very active in meetings because they don't yet have the confidence and knowledge in their new roles. Senior staff should be actively trying to mentor new hires because the newbies are going to be the ones carrying the torch. If senior staff are going to be assholes then it just creates a bad template for the newbies to follow and the cycle will repeat.

This is essentially what's happening at my current job, the most senior guy (and director) doesn't like documentation, procedures or planning and his attitude is infecting everyone under him.

Luckily I'm off in about 30 days, so they can all get hosed.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

it's actually a 100% correct opinion

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lol if they think they’re getting work from me even with my rear end in the office

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vargatron posted:

340 sick leave hours checking in.
I also just lost 60 hours of vacation even though I was told I absolutely would not lose it. They said it would be extended or paid out and I'm not holding a check...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I would need to double check but I believe I get 600hrs of sick time per year.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I would need to double check but I believe I get 600hrs of sick time per year.

I get 24 hours of sick time. I'm already out.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I just started my job and already have 110 hours of sick leave :shrug: :australia:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

chin up everything sucks posted:

I get 24 hours of sick time. I'm already out.

per week?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Our office normally has catering and drinks on Friday. Usually the drinks are watered-down, but hoo-boy, not today! :beerpal:

They also have cupcakes for Employee Appreciation Day. I think I would have appreciated a bigger raise, but :ok:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DizzyBum posted:

Employee Appreciation Day.

We got pretzels. If I hear one more The Office quote today I'm going to format our PROD Oracle instance.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know if its age or my mom warning me about sitting too close to the screen, but my eyes are not as quick focusing as they used to be. First IT takes my lower back, now it's coming for my vision :argh:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sepist posted:

I dont know if its age or my mom warning me about sitting too close to the screen, but my eyes are not as quick focusing as they used to be. First IT takes my lower back, now it's coming for my vision :argh:

I'm very nearsighted. I have this problem if I read something up-close and then put on my glasses; my near vision goes blurry for a minute while my eyes readjust.

I didn't have this problem a decade ago so I'm gonna just blame it on age.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hey i came right to the end of this thread because the recommended link int he op wasnt working.

are there sites i can use to train up for the a+/network+ certs? i desperately wanna get away from my minimum wage job (which is basically tech support for old people anyway) and since i'm looking at a screen all day i wanna use that time wisely.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

hey i came right to the end of this thread because the recommended link int he op wasnt working.

are there sites i can use to train up for the a+/network+ certs? i desperately wanna get away from my minimum wage job (which is basically tech support for old people anyway) and since i'm looking at a screen all day i wanna use that time wisely.

From a few pages back

Time_pants posted:

I am trying to get into networking, and I'm looking for a primer on the absolute basics (which is where I'm starting from). Assume zero knowledge other than what is taught as part of the A+ certification. Is there an online resource out there that covers the beginner level in preparation for N+?

Psssst have a look at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165

https://www.professormesser.com/ is probably the most popular. Mike Myers (not the Wayne's World guy) has a series over on udemy which is probably $20 on sale right now.

These classes will assume you know what things like IP addresses, servers, and routers are. Like can you tell the difference between the three? Yes? Then you should be ok.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Mr. Fix It posted:

How do you know yaml got truncated?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I really like the Sybex books, if you're looking for something physical. A local community college may have an online prep course for you as well (this is what I did for my Network+).

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

tortilla_chip posted:

How do you know yaml got truncated?

Hash sums? Relying on syntax to ensure data integrity seems like a really bad idea for any format. Main point: white space sensitivity is fine.

some creative goon in a few minutes posted:

:goonsay:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mr. Fix It posted:

Hash sums? Relying on syntax to ensure data integrity seems like a really bad idea for any format. Main point: white space sensitivity is fine.

quote:

And accidentally getting the indentation wrong often isn’t an error; it will often just deserialize to something you didn’t intend. Happy debugging!

https://arp242.net/weblog/yaml_probably_not_so_great_after_all.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Yeah, and you can make valid JSON that isn't actually what you wanted as well. I remember having to spend half a day trying to unfuck some json for hiera that a coworker messed up. It would have been a pain in the rear end in any serialized format.