Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gaj posted:

So Spring map: I picked up the extra ammo straps and then the game crashed, so I lost it. Where is it hidden?

A clean, better made Kalash can be found behind the Aurora, in a house to the west surrounded by Shrimps.

How do you get to it? I can’t get a boat to it. Are there suppressors for the Kalash somewhere?

I love this game so bloody much and I’m only at the Volga. Definitely a happy return to the days of Stalker. Beautiful game on the xbone. Does the Hellsing show up on this level? I’m digging the Tihar changes but I want some Hellsing and Crossbow action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s a crossbow in a later level but I haven’t seen a Helsing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Theres a suppressor for the kalash, but I never used it when the Tihar exists and can't be dropped anyway.

I just finished the second zone and haven't seen a hellsing.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Theres a suppressor for the kalash, but I never used it when the Tihar exists and can't be dropped anyway.

I just finished the second zone and haven't seen a hellsing.

Found the path easy at night... suppressor was there funny enough. Now I run totally silent. I tended to ignore the Tihar in previous games but it really shines in this one. Being the only ammo you can craft in the field helps. I’m still sad about the shambler sucking as I that was a great gun vs mutants in the first metro. No Hellsing? Crossbow will do. Also still love the Revolver. So much murder... and I’m still using 3 shot single action.

Only complaint I have is this game distracted me from my also beloved Battlefleet Gothic 2. I really hope word of mouth helps this game get some recognition and money. drat fine game that should help people suffering from disappointment with the fallout franchise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Shambler is fine but it doesn’t have any advantages over the Ashot until you find the ammo count upgrades.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I beat the game last night on Hardcore. I'm mulling over going for 100% achievements, which means at least one additional playthrough on Ranger Hardcore. Besides the UI changes and no quicksave, is it any different than Hardcore? The internet can't give me a straight answer.

If it's not much harder than Hardcore I'll start a second playthrough on Ranger Hardcore and get all the missing achievements (collectibles, bad ending, some randoms like long range kills). If that's going to prove way too obnoxious I can do chapter select on my current save slot for all achievements besides Ranger Hardcore, and do a fresh play for that.

Which reminds me that my only real serious gripe about the game is lack of save slots.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm manually creating save slots by copy/pasting the savegame folder.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

The Shambler is fine but it doesn’t have any advantages over the Ashot until you find the ammo count upgrades.

I thought even after you get every upgrade the shambler was the worst gun in the game tbh. The only time I found it preferable vs the A Shot was against large groups of Nosalis in the last area, but even then, either AR or the revolver was way better for it.

Revolver for life.

I'm kind of debating restarting this right away or not on ranger hardcore. I'm just bummed it's over, but so much of the fun is not knowing what's next maybe I should give it a little bit of time to fade from memory. There's a couple of parts I'm dreading on harder difficulties too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

That's always an option.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm kind of debating restarting this right away or not on ranger hardcore. I'm just bummed it's over, but so much of the fun is not knowing what's next maybe I should give it a little bit of time to fade from memory. There's a couple of parts I'm dreading on harder difficulties too.

:hfive:

I'll compose a Steam review of the game to give myself some time to cool off, maybe play a short game that's in my backlog, but I fully intend to play Exodus again. I buy pretty much every linear single-player FPS that comes out and Exodus has been the cream of the recent crop, in my opinion.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anti-Hero posted:

That's always an option.

:hfive:

I'll compose a Steam review of the game to give myself some time to cool off, maybe play a short game that's in my backlog, but I fully intend to play Exodus again. I buy pretty much every linear single-player FPS that comes out and Exodus has been the cream of the recent crop, in my opinion.

Agreed already but I’m a fan of the series. Man... I’m sad now. I didn’t have the option of either knocking out or making the goggle wearing bandit dog my friend. He was so dapper until he bit me and ruined my stealthing. I wish I could have brought him to the Aurora. Instead he got my panicked full auto of Tihar. So sad. I’m sorry puppers.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I just finished the first area and managed to not kill a single cultist so I’m happy about that. I got scolded for killing the bandits but I kind of think of it as what a Metro Spartan would do. I hijacked the boat only knocking out two guys but one fell overboard so that maybe a kill. Whoops!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

I just finished the first area and managed to not kill a single cultist so I’m happy about that. I got scolded for killing the bandits but I kind of think of it as what a Metro Spartan would do. I hijacked the boat only knocking out two guys but one fell overboard so that maybe a kill. Whoops!

So I’m normally fairly laid back but those guys shot me. Once they surrendered I let them go with a gentle goodnight punch to the face? Am I screwed out of the good end? I can tell easily restart but they did shoot first. My only crime was sneaking and not holstering my weapon. I would gladly restart as I still feel bad about goggledog.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Usually I hate when games railroad you into a "default" weapon but everything the Tihar is so cool. Hope future DLC includes more frakenweapons.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Good Bad ending is again based entirely on the karma you gain or lose. White flash karma gain, red flash karma loss. Keep your crew alive and do only good karma things, murder a dude and no red flash happens? That murder was A-ok. Kill all mutants.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there anywhere to sleep in the third map? just got to the church It's full daylight now and that's going to make sneaking past people way more difficult.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there anywhere to sleep in the third map? just got to the church It's full daylight now and that's going to make sneaking past people way more difficult.

If you’ve found places marked with a fireplace on your map there should be a bed there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

If you’ve found places marked with a fireplace on your map there should be a bed there.

I have not.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you’re talking about the church after you get through the Pioneer village there’s a cave on the path leading up to it with a bed.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This is an extremely good game that in some places gives me a real Morrowind/Thief/Witcher 2 Flotsam vibe that I can't quite put my finger on because it's a mix of gameplay and graphic elements but I really like it. It felt (pardon the pun) railroaded at the beginning to get things moving - and for some reason didn't mesh with what I remembered of the old games' tone - but things turned out incredibly fun so I sort of stopped caring. It feels like what Fallout 4 could've been if Bethesda was still trying anymore.

Looking back at the series, it seems each game has its own style (2033's survival; Last Light's action, and now Exodus's open[ish]-world adventure) and it's a real testament to the devs that they've kept a pretty consistent level of quality and style even as they shift genres a little. It's a fantastic series that isn't nearly as popular as it should be.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 2, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Von_Doom posted:

So I’m normally fairly laid back but those guys shot me. Once they surrendered I let them go with a gentle goodnight punch to the face? Am I screwed out of the good end? I can tell easily restart but they did shoot first. My only crime was sneaking and not holstering my weapon. I would gladly restart as I still feel bad about goggledog.

The only ones that attack you are the ones where you get locked into the church. Unless you antagonize them, the ones out in the world are chill. I killed all of the ones in the church and still got the good ending for both the chapter and the game. If it wasn't in the church it was probably bandits and not Cultists.

take this with a grain of salt, but I'm not sure killing a member of a faction dings your Karma until an NPC suggests that you don't need to kill them. Because I also killed the guys in Taiga until a new character was introduced that asked me not so and I stopped. I also got the good ending for both that chapter and the game.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

That's such bullshit that it doesn't have normal save games. I guess we should be happy it does have at least manual quicksave/load at least. Ages ago I wrote an app to automatically watch and archive savegames whenever they're updated, I'll see if I can still dig it up somewhere.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the third zone a Peter Pan reference?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if it's a direct reference or anything but it's obviously inspired it peter pan and lord of the flies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm a bit stuck now I was told to steal a boat, so I did. Now it seems I need to paddle it through the middle of the enemy stronghold without alerting them. It is not manoeuvrable enough for that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I ran back to a campfire, set my timer to night time, came back and silently knocked out everyone. Not sure if there’s a better/easier way to do that nonlethaly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah you really need to take everyone out in some way or another. There's no way you'd be able to just row through. That part is super easy (like almost everything in the game) if you do it at night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That actually reminds me of one of the few things I did dislike about the game. I really wish it wasn't so ridiculously advantageous to do things at night. Especially since the game looks really cool during the day. There should have been a better middle ground between the enemies spotting you from a mile away during the day and being blind as bats in the dark.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm a bit stuck now I was told to steal a boat, so I did. Now it seems I need to paddle it through the middle of the enemy stronghold without alerting them. It is not manoeuvrable enough for that.
you can do it but it's goofy as hell. i knocked out the gate guards and slowly rowed away from the rest of the automatic rifle fire.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah you really need to take everyone out in some way or another. There's no way you'd be able to just row through. That part is super easy (like almost everything in the game) if you do it at night.

You can beat the whole stage without knocking out anyone or being spotted. There is a cheevo for it and I did it :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

You can beat the whole stage without knocking out anyone or being spotted. There is a cheevo for it and I did it :)

I thought it was just for not killing anyone and not getting spotted? Can you not KO guys either?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I thought it was just for not killing anyone and not getting spotted? Can you not KO guys either?

No KO's allowed.

Cheevo description "Complete the TAIGA level without attacking anyone or getting noticed." I understood it to mean no touchy at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like I’m ever going to leave all that sweet METAL and CHEMICAL behind.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

The only ones that attack you are the ones where you get locked into the church. Unless you antagonize them, the ones out in the world are chill. I killed all of the ones in the church and still got the good ending for both the chapter and the game. If it wasn't in the church it was probably bandits and not Cultists.

take this with a grain of salt, but I'm not sure killing a member of a faction dings your Karma until an NPC suggests that you don't need to kill them. Because I also killed the guys in Taiga until a new character was introduced that asked me not so and I stopped. I also got the good ending for both that chapter and the game.

Thanks to you and Feonir. Figured it was like the last games buuuuut things can change. I just now finished Volga. The drowned hospital was nicely melancholic. Also you guys said the Tsar Fish was a dick but he helped me out so he’s a-ok in my book. He might’ve been happy I tossed a few mutants his way. Still happy as hell with this game.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Von_Doom posted:

Thanks to you and Feonir. Figured it was like the last games buuuuut things can change. I just now finished Volga. The drowned hospital was nicely melancholic. Also you guys said the Tsar Fish was a dick but he helped me out so he’s a-ok in my book. He might’ve been happy I tossed a few mutants his way. Still happy as hell with this game.
tsar fish is a tempetuous and inscrutable creature. nonetheless: it is man who rules! not fish! i yelled at my computer through those sequences.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really want to play this game but I don't know how to get it and I feel kinda sick today I bought a new mattress and you know it has that new mattress smell you gotta air it out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zane posted:

tsar fish is a tempetuous and inscrutable creature. nonetheless: it is man who rules! not fish! i yelled at my computer through those sequences.

Did you kill it?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Did you kill it?
i did. i suppose it's interesting that the choice is softballed. it isn't always perfect at what it tries to do--but i can't remember the last game to be this consistently good at pulling you viscerally into its extended environmental set-pieces.

Zane fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 3, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What happens when you perform the above action?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
tsar fish gets real mad and tries to eat you. but his wounds prove too great.. though you can also still get the good end with the cultists who don't seem to notice yet.

Zane fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
~**HeY bOyS**~