Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's the most kid thing for a game of squidkids to be sure :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6o5pNbpYNw

https://nintendoaustralasianopen.com

edit: I'm dumb.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 20, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Serenade posted:

It's like the designs in the credits for MM8 and I love it.

Isn't that basically a Big Daddy?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1099014518342963200

Make use of those news items, especially if it's for Main Power Up tickets.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Splatoon is so so so fun

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

Splatoon is so so so fun

It really is. I've begun replaying it in earnest and it really commands a lot of time compared to say Smash, which does too, but somehow Smash is a touch more frustrating since multiplayer online is too hectic when it's a free-for-all or too competitive one on one.

I've begun playing ranked and I'm hoping to get myself to A rank all around. Also working on getting ideal gear so that I can look good all the time.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I stopped playing for several months but recently hurt my knee and now I'm stuck indoors and started playing again...it really is a fun game.

Anyway, sometimes I get a prompt to Booyah in the middle of a match, what triggers this? I don't remember seeing this before.

I kind of plataued (can't get further than S+0) so I've switched to motion controls and it's driving me nuts. It's worth it, right?? Mostly playing single player and turf wars right now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

I stopped playing for several months but recently hurt my knee and now I'm stuck indoors and started playing again...it really is a fun game.

Anyway, sometimes I get a prompt to Booyah in the middle of a match, what triggers this? I don't remember seeing this before.

I kind of plataued (can't get further than S+0) so I've switched to motion controls and it's driving me nuts. It's worth it, right?? Mostly playing single player and turf wars right now.

That's a new special they added called the Booyah Bomb. It's like a spirit bomb, it gets charged up by teammates booyah'ing and you get a boost of special meter yourself if you Booyah during it, in exchange for the opposing to briefly see your position

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Reposting this here from the Nintendo thread. Hat tip to Kazy for letting me know that this thread existed! Turns out ctrl-fing for Splatoon doesn't quite work for a reasonable reason!

Kchama posted:

Since here doesn't seem to be a Splatoon 2 thread, did anyone else have the issue of Nintendo sending you a wrong-region copy of Splatoon 2? This apparently only matters if you try to access the Octo-expansion, which I purchased in anticipation of being able to happily play it, but it turns out I can't play, and I can't order it in the game because the game doesn't match my Switch's region. So I'm apparently completely boned out of the Octo Expansion unless I buy another copy of Splatoon 2... and hope they actually send me a US copy, huh?

soppi
Jan 27, 2019
Is there any way to talk to people you added? I've been accepting friend requests from Salmon Run but I don't know how to contact them to ask if they wanna play. Is it..... not possible...? It seems that way and I can't help but laugh. If so I don't understand the point of even having a friends list.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

soppi posted:

Is there any way to talk to people you added? I've been accepting friend requests from Salmon Run but I don't know how to contact them to ask if they wanna play. Is it..... not possible...? It seems that way and I can't help but laugh. If so I don't understand the point of even having a friends list.

I think you can ping them thru the Nintendo Online app? You'll have to use the app in question for voice chat if you do that. It's much easier to just join us in Discord if you want to play SR with buddies.

And yeah, that topic has to change now.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
If you're particularly lazy about Salmon Run, good news: There should be a news item about Splatoon 2 that will provide you with free food tickets if you start the game through that news item.

Also this weekend will see the North American qualifier finals, which will be streamed live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiEk3mrzelI

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I just got this game last week cause of the Walmart sale and I'm enjoying it.
I'm having trouble doing well, everything though. Would a controller help me aim more precisely than the joy cons? I heard they're real bad for tilts. And motion control just short circuits my brain and feels like a non starter

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm having trouble doing well, everything though. Would a controller help me aim more precisely than the joy cons? I heard they're real bad for tilts. And motion control just short circuits my brain and feels like a non starter

Motion control takes some getting used to. The big things to get used to it are remembering the button that zeroes-out your view (for when you shift positions irl), practicing, and practicing. The single-player octoling missions helped, especially with the charger.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It helped me to play docked, with the joy-cons in the controller-grip thingy. I also can't wrap my head around the motion controls, despite every good player swearing by them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Use the motion controls to aim up/down and the stick for left/right

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I started with stick controls and forced myself to do motion controls for like two weeks and got super frustrated to the point where I decided that I was just going back to sticks and it was immediately apparent five seconds into the first match how much worse the sticks are. It’s not easy starting out but the end result is definitely worth it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Having it split into two parts is explicitly what is making motion control not work for me. Like I've just shut down during a fire fight because I can't process how I'm supposed to get the game to do what I want during the heat of the moment.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The controls are good enough that I'd face a PC player with a mouse if such a thing existed. Like a mouse though there is a looooooooong learning curve. Painful even

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Having it split into two parts is explicitly what is making motion control not work for me. Like I've just shut down during a fire fight because I can't process how I'm supposed to get the game to do what I want during the heat of the moment.

Yeah use it as one controller with the attachment thing or get the pro controller.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

What
I am using the centerpiece attachment. I mean having camera movement assigned to two inputs

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It helps me that I only use the stick when I absolutely have to and rely on the gyro 98% of the time. The stick could be a 90 degree hard turn for all it matters to how I play. Trying to aim with it and my wrist at the same time does indeed sound super confusing to do on the fly.

Vvv idk anything about Xbox anymore what is that?

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 1, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Far right lower corner

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In Training posted:

Far right lower corner

Some people thought this meant Splatoon was getting ported to Xbox.:lol:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

In Training posted:

Far right lower corner

It's telling that the menu is at Mixer, Microsoft's answer to Twitch. And with that you can't really say anything definite.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

In Training posted:

Far right lower corner

Isn't that a goddamn Pokemon Gym Leader on the left as well?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that a goddamn Pokemon Gym Leader on the left as well?

It is!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Marina looks like she feels awkward there, but then again that's her most common expression anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It's telling that the menu is at Mixer, Microsoft's answer to Twitch. And with that you can't really say anything definite.

Splatoon has eSport integration stuff for its tournaments iirc, so it's not a big leap to part of the deal being Microsoft streaming Nintendo stuff through their service. Pokemon's a little more odd, but who knows what's lurking in Sword/Shield for online multiplayer.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Splatoon has eSport integration stuff for its tournaments iirc, so it's not a big leap to part of the deal being Microsoft streaming Nintendo stuff through their service. Pokemon's a little more odd, but who knows what's lurking in Sword/Shield for online multiplayer.

Mixer has some really cool stat visualizations integrated into their system, so having on-screen numbers can provide some battle context for viewers.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I want middle commentator's Pearl shirt.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

artsy fartsy posted:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

heres a video on how you should use motion controls, kind of rambles a bit at 14 mins but explains pretty much everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ep2tJk8f0

as an aside, i used to lol at stick players but the guy i play with a lot on salmon run whos as good as i am uses stick exclusively so you can make it work, but id say to still keep at it cause as someone who used to play on pc im still really amazed how well motion controls works on console

like wowee my fancy pants mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse, into the bin they go but the pro controller i want to frame and mount this thing above my mantelpiece

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah I watched that video before. The thing i don't get is in the video and in threads in other places someone chimes in "you can use both!" When you have to use both. And that's shown in the basic tutorial. Hell I might prefer only using motion but that doesn't seem possible.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Takoluka posted:

Mixer has some really cool stat visualizations integrated into their system, so having on-screen numbers can provide some battle context for viewers.

That's kind of cool. Especially for something like Splatoon which can be pretty chaotic even if you're the one playing it.

The first and almost only time I've even heard of Mixer was at E3 a couple years ago when the announcement for some battle royale game had a douchy e-sports announcer wannabe screaming over it and one of the players had people on Mixer vote to make them invincible. The idea of fighting someone and having them become suddenly invincible in a fight for non-gameplay reasons seems absolutely infuriating to me so I'm glad that's not just the kind of stuff they're doing with it. Left a bad impression on me though.

sissywinkles
Feb 11, 2019

by R. Guyovich
SW-8465-4819-2683

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh my god I love the explosher

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh my god I love the explosher

It's super cool but I can't aim it to save my life. I need to work on aim. I think I should work up from the lazy person's trislosher up.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BobLob though, my dude. It's cool and good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I like the b4 but I don't have the one without the shower wall yet.

Does the tower just block blasts? Sticky bombs will hit around corners but not on the tower it feels, and the explosher is just doing jack to peopleon the thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You want to stick the bomb to the pole on the tower, because that's the best way to hit with it. There are, however, two parts of the tower that are solid objects, the base and the pole, and, due to the tower moving, shots may not hit where you think they should, in regards to bombs. The Explosher doesn't do a ton of splash damage, iirc, so you might be hitting people, but they're just able to soak it.