Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Molentik posted:

Thanks! I wasn't satisfied with it so I started over, getting a much nicer result this time.

I use textile glue to make little mats kinda like little tuffs of static grass people use for terrains, let them dry and then cut off the glue as much as possible before attaching it to the head. It's much denser now and not as patchy.

I had to do a bunch of similar work on one of the last architectural models I worked on, using a static grass kind of material. That stuff was a nightmare to work with and caused me no end of frustration so I appreciate how time consuming this work is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Does anyone have any good tips on how to move a decent amount of completed models safely? I bought a house recently and need to get my completed kits there without too much repair work afterwards. This also includes the 1:72 Italeri C-130 Hercules I built a while back, as well as a few other bigger plane kits.

I managed to get most of the 1:144 stuff safely there in a big shopping bag and will only have to deal with a few missiles, bombs and other tiny bits that came off, but they're all in the bag so I just need to glue them back on.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sealed plastic container filled with beanbag stuffing or cotton wool balls? Anything that might come off should stay in the box. Theoretically.

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Finally finished the Ki-61

The kit itself is very nice. Everything just fits together perfectly, basically no mold-lines to remove. There were only two spots where I needed to fill/sand (which is for the better, as I'm terrible at it).
The decals are a bit of a mixed bag, tough. The are printed very very sharply, even the tiniest of writing is still legible. However, they do not conform very well, even when doused in buckets of softener.
It's not very visible on the photos, but the white lightning design on the stabiliser in particular does not sit perfectly on all the small surface-detail. Overall I still like the flashy optics that come with all the decals.

I'm slightly less enthusiastic about the PE-set that I got for this. Half the parts it provides are excellent, like the cockpit details or the grill of the cooling intake, which really improve the optics of the whole thing.
However, the other half of the parts is attached in places which are almost invisible in the final model or requires the removal of plastic in tricky places (i.e. trying to remove it is going to destroy surrounding surface detail).

I've also hit a terrible snag in my modeling: my eye for detail is getting better more quickly than my actual modeling skills. Although the plane is probably the technically best I've ever done (pre-shading worked out much better here than in previous attempts, I'm improving with the masking of the canopies), I've gotten so much more adept at spotting flaws that it feels like I'm not improving at all or even regressing.

And now for something completely different:
If there is ever a crap-plane group-build, I have these to offer:

That's a nice ki-61. Airfix kit?

Update on the bf109:

The difference between this and the academy kit is already obvious. Even with my newly gained experience, this one is going together much more quickly. The engineering of the kit is just flat out better. The details are better. The cockpit is better. The fit is nearly perfect. The academy kit felt like a series of parts that could be put together into something that looks kind of like a plane. This Tamiya kit so far is like they started with a completed model, and then cut it up into pieces and put it on the sprue. I'm not building it so much as returning it to the way it wants to be. Very cool.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 2, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Smoke posted:

Does anyone have any good tips on how to move a decent amount of completed models safely? I bought a house recently and need to get my completed kits there without too much repair work afterwards. This also includes the 1:72 Italeri C-130 Hercules I built a while back, as well as a few other bigger plane kits.

I managed to get most of the 1:144 stuff safely there in a big shopping bag and will only have to deal with a few missiles, bombs and other tiny bits that came off, but they're all in the bag so I just need to glue them back on.

In a previous job, I had to deal with the logistics of moving a bunch of builder’s model of cargo ships from a bunch of places to an event at a hotel and back.

They’re mounted solidly to their display cases, so two of the owners just sent people down with vans or SUVs with the models in the back, well secured, and that was good,

The other guys were farther out so they built a crate around the display cases and shipped them Purolator. One model had some minor damage (one leg of the model stand fell off), but I did a bit of surgery before the event and no one was the wiser.

The quality of shipyard models is... uneven, by the way. It’s been my anecdotal experience that the better the display model, the longer lasting the ship is.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Carth Dookie posted:

That's a nice ki-61. Airfix kit?

Tamiya.

This one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60789-kawasaki-ki-61-id-hien-tony--1117318

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

The quality of shipyard models is... uneven, by the way. It’s been my anecdotal experience that the better the display model, the longer lasting the ship is.

This sounds like the foundation of a modern superstition that you can really turn into something. Or some Dorian Gray thing. :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nah it’s pure economics - cheap rear end shipyards turn out cheap rear end ships and skimp on the models too.

Kind of like how if you walk down to bottom of a ship’s engine room and your hands are still clean, you probably don’t need to inspect much, because if they’re keeping the handrails clean they’ve already got everything else clean.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Nah it’s pure economics - cheap rear end shipyards turn out cheap rear end ships and skimp on the models too.

Kind of like how if you walk down to bottom of a ship’s engine room and your hands are still clean, you probably don’t need to inspect much, because if they’re keeping the handrails clean they’ve already got everything else clean.

Cmon man I just want a horror movie where the bad guy does some voodoo doll stuff to a vlcc model while the crew has to deal with the invisible saboteur in the middle of the ocean.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FrozenVent posted:

It's kind of a "bowl full of brown M&Ms" if you know that story

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

This box art is extremely cool. Are these kits available to buy as like, dead stock? I presume they must be Soviet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Scut posted:

This box art is extremely cool. Are these kits available to buy as like, dead stock? I presume they must be Soviet.
Yeah, if we were to crapkit this then we'd need to know what they are.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's kind of a "bowl full of brown M&Ms" if you know that story

Yeah but by the time you get the model, chances are you’re already pretty committed to the yard.

Gonna offer my service to shipowners, travelling across the world checking out builder’s model a yard’s put out before they order ships.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Two more 15mm tanks, both American this time: a Lee and a Stuart, both from Battlefront miniatures.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Smoke posted:

I'm guessing you just want a one-time transportation method, and it sounds like you're moving them by yourself? I'd wrap anything that's not too delicate in packing cushion foam and just put them in a box with some extra padding so they don't rattle around too much and also don't get crushed by other items. For something really delicate, you could get some foam like they use in furniture cushions and cut out holes to put your stuff in.

For stuff you plan to move around a lot, there are plenty of pre-made storage things with foam trays to put your stuff in, but that's mainly useful for wargamers and model railroaders who want to bring their stuff to clubs/conventions/etc.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, if we were to crapkit this then we'd need to know what they are.

I had a look on scalemates:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/krugozor-204-hawker-hunter-fga9--162451
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/krugozor-256-westland-lynx--162475
The exact kits appear to not be available any more.
Nevertheless, if scalemates is to be trusted, reboxes of these exist and are still listed in European stores.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Turns out that model trains have some muscle behind them.

https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1101414657418498049

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FrozenVent posted:

Architectural models are very much the same. I've done repair work on someone else's models with my old boss and even as someone new to that particular field I could tell that poo poo wasn't right.

And I think that people can pick up on it too. Even though a model might look good from a few feet away, people always want to get closer and will. The sins will be uncovered.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the actual general ballpark scale for "15mm" ?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

1:100

edit:
Once source I looked up had 15mm as 1:120 and 18mm as 1:100

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 2, 2019

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm guessing you just want a one-time transportation method, and it sounds like you're moving them by yourself? I'd wrap anything that's not too delicate in packing cushion foam and just put them in a box with some extra padding so they don't rattle around too much and also don't get crushed by other items. For something really delicate, you could get some foam like they use in furniture cushions and cut out holes to put your stuff in.

For stuff you plan to move around a lot, there are plenty of pre-made storage things with foam trays to put your stuff in, but that's mainly useful for wargamers and model railroaders who want to bring their stuff to clubs/conventions/etc.

Yep, it's just a one-time thing. I'll see if I can find those sheets around here, but it might be a bit more difficult finding a box that fits the Hercules. Worst-case scenario it's just gonna go on the backseat of the car. The kits are gonna get their own box(es) though, not gonna put any other things in there.

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Nevertheless, if scalemates is to be trusted, reboxes of these exist and are still listed in European stores.

I've seen that Lynx around in its MisterCraft version here locally, I'll have to pick one up to see how bad it is. The one good thing about MisterCraft kits is that they're cheap.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Smoke posted:

I've seen that Lynx around in its MisterCraft version here locally, I'll have to pick one up to see how bad it is. The one good thing about MisterCraft kits is that they're cheap.

Those are the old Frog moulds from the 60s - 70s. They were pretty good in their day but the moulds got sold to eastern europe decades ago and they've been in use seemingly ever since by about a billion different companies. They're probably a bit bad by this stage.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Finally finished the Ki-61

I'm slightly less enthusiastic about the PE-set that I got for this. Half the parts it provides are excellent, like the cockpit details or the grill of the cooling intake, which really improve the optics of the whole thing.
However, the other half of the parts is attached in places which are almost invisible in the final model or requires the removal of plastic in tricky places (i.e. trying to remove it is going to destroy surrounding surface detail).

I've also hit a terrible snag in my modeling: my eye for detail is getting better more quickly than my actual modeling skills. Although the plane is probably the technically best I've ever done (pre-shading worked out much better here than in previous attempts, I'm improving with the masking of the canopies), I've gotten so much more adept at spotting flaws that it feels like I'm not improving at all or even regressing.

Nice job! I've had my eye on one of these Ki-61 kits for a while. I have a 1/72 A6M3 in the stash, and I've been thinking about getting a photo etch set for it, but I'm not sure its really worth it on these newer Tamiya kits. I think I'd rather just use the money on a set of IJN/IJA seatbelts, since I hate the Tamiya decal ones.

You'll definitely feel that you've started to improve once you complete another kit and can actually compare them side by side. There's always something that could have been done better in this hobby, part of it is just not letting it get you down and remembering to try something new on the next build.

Carth Dookie posted:

I've seen that razorback. Nice job and thanks for the tip.

Thanks! I really like the way your metal finish turned out. I've been avoiding trying a metal finish for a while now, though I should probably give it a shot soon. Hopefully that masking technique works well for you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hand-painting N scale concrete track is a hell-nightmare.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I was just thinking "huh, N-Scale may be a way to get into model trains even with limited space"

Thank you for the reminder that if half the size means TWICE AS SMALL

every day I resist is another day before I turn into an old man

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

N scale is really good, there's only a few disadvantages vs HO that I think are more than countered by its space savings. I just like the look of the scale better too, I find it easier to work with because the smaller scale often means a lower expected level of detail since you're more zoomed-out. Like you can easily get away with just fake print-outs of building interiors behind windows rather than actually building real interiors because at the scale you just don't notice. Lots of little things like that that end up making it easier.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Today, I did some yellow

There’s eight more sprues of these loving things.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Oh dang, if we did the Hawker Hunter I could have done it up like any one of a couple I've seen IRL. Like the one I found in the middle of a street, right beside a martian tripod...

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This kits really starting to look like a race car now. I've got the windows ready to go in but I want to get the detail painting on the body and the inside of the body shell painted up before I put it together.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Unkempt posted:

Those are the old Frog moulds from the 60s - 70s. They were pretty good in their day but the moulds got sold to eastern europe decades ago and they've been in use seemingly ever since by about a billion different companies. They're probably a bit bad by this stage.

Oh, I am not expecting anything near good from MisterCraft, the two kits I already made from them took care of that. I learned not to expect all the parts or decals shown in the instructions to even exist in their kits, parts fitting together is a happy coincidence, guiding pins are optional, needing to cut, sand and afterwards fill the seams on almost every single part is a requirement, and any form of "new" detailing in the molds was done by someone who still had the shakes from last night's bingefest. I just have an almost masochistic interest in crappy/cheap kits from time to time, as I won't have to feel too bad for screwing up with them. The expensive stuff is what gets me nervous and perfectionist.

Chances are these kits aren't even from the original moulds (Which would be very degraded by now) but a copy of a copy of a copy that's lost a lot of definition in the process, or they might even be reverse-engineered from an existing kit. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen them use something that might have dubious origins.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Experimental ballasting to see if the ballast and glue will be strong enough to hold down my "puffy" turnouts that aren't quite sitting flat.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

This kits really starting to look like a race car now. I've got the windows ready to go in but I want to get the detail painting on the body and the inside of the body shell painted up before I put it together.

Nice, dude. Looks great. I really need to pick up another Tamiya kit. After doing 3 in a row (2 racecars and a bike), the last couple Revell models have tried my patience.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Today, I did some blue.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Nice, dude. Looks great. I really need to pick up another Tamiya kit. After doing 3 in a row (2 racecars and a bike), the last couple Revell models have tried my patience.

Thanks man I appreciate the compliments. I did a pair of hasegawa kits after doing 3 tamiya kits and while they weren’t bad to put together they just aren’t the same as a tamiya kit. The next kit I’m going to pick up will be a Japanese gtc car that I built previously but then destroyed the decals on because I did it before I knew about decal solutions. I’m jumping on it now cause there only appears to be 2 of them left on eBay and one vendor isn’t asking dumb money for the kit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Baronjutter posted:

Jonny Nox posted:

1:100

edit:
Once source I looked up had 15mm as 1:120 and 18mm as 1:100

I keep this handy link bookmarked

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
I finished my first model completed with airbrush recently and I'm quite happy with how he turned out:

He is Wade A. Minut from the Weird-Ohs line by Hawk - these kits have been re-issued a few times now under different names. The cool part about the latest iteration is that they seem to include enough pieces to make the character twice over. I thought I got lucky, but a friend with the same kit also has duplicates. In keeping with his 60's origin and the JDM decor of my office I made him a vintage Honda flag in Photoshop.

Carth Dookie posted:

Just the one sprue! I'm expecting the build to be straightforward. The main goal of this build is to practice doing camoflauge painting. I'm intending to do the scheme pictured on the front of the box. A slight twist, in that I'll be using Vallejo paints for the Camo scheme (except the yellow) instead of Tamiya, because the Camo colours are all in their spray cans only, and I refuse to buy into them. I've tried to colour match as best I can, but only time will tell how it goes. Since this kit comes with a stand, I'm going to try building it "in flight" with the gear up. Looking forward to it!

How has your experience been with the 'Model Color' vs. the 'Model Air'? I have only sprayed with the MC once and it was awfully thick so I have been shying away from it but as you said it is cheap and widely available near me so I'd like to work with it.

Gay Weed Dad fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 6, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've never used the model air, but as you said, the model colour is thicker and stickier than Tamiya. I haven't used it yet in this project sol I'll let you know. The difference is now I have a proper cleaning pot and Vallejo airbrush cleaner so it should be easier this time.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Carth Dookie posted:

I've never used the model air, but as you said, the model colour is thicker and stickier than Tamiya. I haven't used it yet in this project sol I'll let you know. The difference is now I have a proper cleaning pot and Vallejo airbrush cleaner so it should be easier this time.

Ah, by the rights the AC is designed for airbrush whereas MC is for brush painting so this might explain your cleanup issues.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Ah, by the rights the AC is designed for airbrush whereas MC is for brush painting so this might explain your cleanup issues.

Maybe. From what I've heard, model air is just model colour that's been pre-thinned. If so, I wouldn't expect it to make a difference.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Making decent progress on the SPAD. Just finished painting the tape used on the struts.

Reference:

I thought I could just mask and airbrush these at first, but it proved to be way too fiddly. I ended up just freehanding the tapes after lining them up against a straight edge for reference and alignment. Struts are the worst part of 1/72 models. If I ever get another WWI kit in this scale, I'm just gonna make the things out of brass and styrene sheets. Next step will be to fit and align the cabane struts while test fitting the top wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Smol Spad. :3: