Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wonder how self-aware Lovecraft was about how ridiculous his racist views were. The Temple is almost a satire of them.

It's comical in places for sure, but I'd still put my money on him just being really racist and scared of almost everything.

Try and read "The terror at Red Hook". It's basically Lovecraft clutching his pearls about non-white people congregating in the same neighborhood and how they must be up to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nyarlathotep owns, just an old dude talking a walk at night and it drives everyone insane because he's swarthy

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I remember reading Lovecraft describing horrible hybrids doing unthinkable rituals out in the swamps and I was having a hell of a time figuring out wth the dude was on about, like is it fish people? Crocodile demons? I almost dropped the book laughing when I finally realized that no, dude is talking about mulattoes. He is stricken numb with fear of mulattoes. They're probably singing the blues and eating the gumbo and he's the making GBS threads himself at the thought.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Here lies Howard. Thought of the soft-shoe and died.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'd definitely watch a farcical comedy about Howard and his myriad insecurities,
done perhaps in tribute to the classic britcom Bottom.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Re: movie versions of Colour Out Of Space, there's a few American made ones already. Die, Monster, Die! Is okay but changes the tone by moving it to a gothic mansion setting. But it's a 60s AIP film with Boris Karloff and Nick Adams, so you know what you're getting. The 80s flick The Curse, starring Wil Wheaton isn't bad, modernizing the hick country isolation to a handful of farms/houses.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What is Stephen King doing right this minute?????

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Ruining his latest manuscript with aliens from the Internet?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Karate Bastard posted:

He already rewrote Colour of out Space

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nobody remembers that skit? Can't remember where it was from but basically it was Stephen King making GBS threads himself through life, making GBS threads himself over finding cups in the cupboard, coffee in the coffee pot, cutlery in the top drawer...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ruining his latest manuscript with aliens from the Internet?

aw shucks that aint what mama taught you mm-m im a sassy magical negro who is also magically retarded and a retired author who owns a vacation property in the woods

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Crane Fist posted:

Cthulhu getting hit by the boat is like when you get up, hungover as poo poo, mouth tasting like an ashtray and the first thing you do is step on a plug and you're just like 'gently caress this, I'm going back to bed'

I'm guessing stepping on a plug is a UK/tiny apartment thing.

Or maybe like a hair dryer/curling iron thing?

What are you leaving unplugged just sitting on the floor?

...Is it a magic wand?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Come on you know what they mean.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I just knew it was going to be a bad aeon, the moment I get up some kinda sea vessel bonks hard into my head and some small animal or something would not stop screaming as if it's going mad at the sight of me.

gently caress this, I'm gonna try to get back to sleep.
Maybe I'll manage to dream myself a better world to awaken to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An adaption of Pickman's Model where the horrifying model is just Idris Elba. Someone ludicrously attractive that Pickman's like "I wanna draw that guy..." and the main guy's freaking out because he's a black dude. He's not in a charnel pit like in the story, he's just chilling on a stool.

The Music of Eric Zahn is just Jazz violin.

Also I'm further into CHarles Dexter Ward, and wow there is a black couple in that story who own the house that Ward's ancestor did his weird poo poo in and they are just cool people who run a housekeeping business. Lovecraft is managing to describe someone non-white and actually have a normal one while doing so. He really did improve.

sorry for derailing btw I'll shut up about Lovecraft now...

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Mar 2, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

aw shucks that aint what mama taught you mm-m im a sassy magical negro who is also magically retarded and a retired author who owns a vacation property in the woods

I was talking specifically about End of Watch by the by, in case anyone didn't realize and still cares. Such a shame :(

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BioEnchanted posted:

An adaption of Pickman's Model where the horrifying model is just Idris Elba. Someone ludicrously attractive that Pickman's like "I wanna draw that guy..." and the main guy's freaking out because he's a black dude. He's not in a charnel pit like in the story, he's just chilling on a stool.

The Music of Eric Zahn is just Jazz violin.

Also I'm further into CHarles Dexter Ward, and wow there is a black couple in that story who own the house that Ward's ancestor did his weird poo poo in and they are just cool people who run a housekeeping business. Lovecraft is managing to describe someone non-white and actually have a normal one while doing so. He really did improve.

sorry for derailing btw I'll shut up about Lovecraft now...

He really did get better later in life. Dude had so many issues, and therapy was nonexistent. He was a scared little dude that wrote his fears into his stories. I always saw all this racism to be fairly sad, rather than something to condemn him for.

As an aside, have you read the various Dream-Cycles of Kargath type stories? Pretty sure theres not much bad stuff there.
Just about a man who finds something wonderful in a dream as a youth, then spends the rest of his life trying to find it again.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was talking specifically about End of Watch by the by, in case anyone didn't realize and still cares. Such a shame :(

wait what? wtf? the cena/gyllenhaal cop movie has stephen king and aliens??!?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Krankenstyle posted:

wait what? wtf? the cena/gyllenhaal cop movie has stephen king and aliens??!?

What's not to get here? She's an old woman with floppy tits. When she jumps over the rope they smack her in the eyes giving her dual shiners. A man who is presumably her husband is shocked by her injury - she humorously subverts our expectations by calling it a sports injury.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BallerBallerDillz posted:

The tyres were wet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/pharmaduke3000/status/1102015855561461760

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Johnny Aztec posted:

He really did get better later in life. Dude had so many issues, and therapy was nonexistent. He was a scared little dude that wrote his fears into his stories. I always saw all this racism to be fairly sad, rather than something to condemn him for.

As an aside, have you read the various Dream-Cycles of Kargath type stories? Pretty sure theres not much bad stuff there.
Just about a man who finds something wonderful in a dream as a youth, then spends the rest of his life trying to find it again.

Funny thing is that Unknown Kadath is apparently so beautiful that the gods of humanity have abandoned their posts to seek it, and it turns out to be the protagonist's nostalgia-tinted memories of his home in Chicago.

It was mentioned that Lovecraft had a lot of contempt for the established models and ideas of storytelling, which might be why he made an effort to be experimental and sometimes genuinely innovative. Cool Air does specifically point out that while horror is usually associated with night time, solitude and remoteness, one can just as easily experience it in the middle of a summer day in a crowded tenement.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

http://www.kingofblood.com/tagged/my+comics/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BallerBallerDillz posted:

What's not to get here? She's an old woman with floppy tits. When she jumps over the rope they smack her in the eyes giving her dual shiners. A man who is presumably her husband is shocked by her injury - she humorously subverts our expectations by calling it a sports injury.

that wasnt it chief

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

You know what assuming they were initially talking about something specific I can't spot a single thing they said that was incorrect

:thunk:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"I swear I don't know nothing" isn't false.

Confused Enormatons
Apr 12, 2007

FFT posted:

"I swear I don't know nothing" isn't false.

You are technically correct -- the best kind of correct.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Swanboy is like a less lovable and more assholish DuckMan.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Man,Duckman was such a good show.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I know swans have that black bar or whatever it's called around their beak but with Swan Boy here it really really looks like a pervy mustache. Did Swan Boy always have a pervy mustache?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

Man,Duckman was such a good show.

It really was. I can't think of one bad episode in the entire lot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Grendels Dad posted:

I know swans have that black bar or whatever it's called around their beak but with Swan Boy here it really really looks like a pervy mustache. Did Swan Boy always have a pervy mustache?

No, its fairly recent

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Latest Oglaf is hilarious, but absolutely :nws:.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I think one time I laughed at oglaf but it wasn't this time

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I, too, can't imagine the hard drive I've had for the past four years that was outdated when I bought it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Every time one of these is posted I have to check the date on it, my brain just refuses to accept they're recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I too can't imagine what would be in a room with a meter by the door saying "300GB"