Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You don't have to go into detail but just a word from someone who had anxiety from abuse and trauma: sometimes coded or vague messages can trigger anxiety, because the sufferer can begin to expect bad things to happen.

And of course we're here man. It's hard enough with help, and it helps to have people with a shared culture -- can't even count the number of times I give my civilian therapist a stroke explaining the background of a whole dumb Army process.

Let us know if you need anything man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Yeah, I'm doing good. Didn't intend on being coded/cryptic/vague, if that's how it came across.

I was feeling lonely in a particular way about my service from...drat, almost a decade ago now; had had a little to drink, and finding and reading this thread made me feel a lot better.

I mainly wished to express thanks that the thread existed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No problem man, just wanted to put that out there. It's better to ask for help directly and I just wanted to know if you were good.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
This syria crap has left me feelin like poo poo.

I was in Kurdistan, fought alongside the pesh.....and now they're gonna get slaughtered by Turkey because our president is an rear end in a top hat moronic piece of poo poo.

I feel gross and disgusted I ever put on the uniform.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
nevermind

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 16, 2019

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Thalantos posted:

I feel gross and disgusted I ever put on the uniform.

loving same

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

I am deeply conflicted about my military service

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
By some weird synchronicity, my buddy was about to give up on going to the weekly PTSD groups and get back into self-medicating because dick-all was being done for any other part of his health (TBI? Migraines? Seizures? Good luck! Both our neurologists retired! And the PA thinks you’re faking it! Compression fractures in your spine you’ve been treated for since 2008? Ha, now we can’t find any evidence and your chart is marked Drug Seeking! Godspeed!).

Then the Shreveport VA pulled its head out of its rear end and actually got him in to an outside pulmonary clinic for his COPD. The doctor there was from Iraq and they spent half the appointment comparing where doc lived to where my buddy was stationed, how many hosed up things they both saw around the same time period, and how important it was to the doc to keep getting therapy about it, which enabled him to get through med school.

Just the serendipity of “gently caress this, no one can possibly understand what I’ve been through — back to the pills!” then a few days later “this dude knew exactly where I was and what I went through and he went through it too. I wanna talk about that at group next week.”

And I’m grateful to not have to find yet another friend’s body then notify their family.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Busket Posket posted:

By some weird synchronicity, my buddy was about to give up on going to the weekly PTSD groups and get back into self-medicating because dick-all was being done for any other part of his health (TBI? Migraines? Seizures? Good luck! Both our neurologists retired! And the PA thinks you’re faking it! Compression fractures in your spine you’ve been treated for since 2008? Ha, now we can’t find any evidence and your chart is marked Drug Seeking! Godspeed!).

Then the Shreveport VA pulled its head out of its rear end and actually got him in to an outside pulmonary clinic for his COPD. The doctor there was from Iraq and they spent half the appointment comparing where doc lived to where my buddy was stationed, how many hosed up things they both saw around the same time period, and how important it was to the doc to keep getting therapy about it, which enabled him to get through med school.

Just the serendipity of “gently caress this, no one can possibly understand what I’ve been through — back to the pills!” then a few days later “this dude knew exactly where I was and what I went through and he went through it too. I wanna talk about that at group next week.”

And I’m grateful to not have to find yet another friend’s body then notify their family.

Yikes that could've broke bad.

Glad it's starting to come around.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I've never been in this situation before but somebody i was talking with at the bar, upon hearing about my service, decided that it wasn't "real" service because I only got shot at *once*. i lived in baghdad for over 2 years of my life. I just got up and left at that point, I didn't see any point in arguing about it further. nobody has ever "attacked" my service before and for some reason it really upset me more than anything before.

No. I don't remember the exact dates and years of every single event. That was probably over 20 years ago. I don't really want to remember. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I've had similar situations where people have discounted my experiences because they, "couldn't find it on Google."

Don't ever second guess what you've lived, experienced, or accomplished. Your life is uniquely yours, and for someone to challenge these events is hollow. If you find yourself among those who challenge your life or experiences, call them out. Better yet find better companions.

Appreciate your efforts, you've earned them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That's unfortunately I feel like we're going to keep seeing more of this.

Media and our own drat hero worship culture has started to cause backlash, because people are more presuming upon the experiences of Veterans based on whatever they consume.

It's not the same but I've had kids that ask if I was a "real soldier" or just someone who stayed behind. It's a bit easier to explain the difference when they're kids and just missed misguided, opposed to a dipshit drink grown-up in a bar.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
In retrospect, it's clear that this guy was just poking and prodding and looking for any reason to start an altercation. I instantly sobered up when I realized what was going on. I'm glad I was able to just get up and leave the situation.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So, I actually tried to kill myself yesterday. I was gonna take the truck off the road and make it look like an accident. Couldn't do it in the end though. Just ended up with a scratched side panel and a bad conscience. Called a friend today. Gonna be staying with her for a few days while I get in touch with mental healthcare. I shoulda done that months ago.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

So, I actually tried to kill myself yesterday. I was gonna take the truck off the road and make it look like an accident. Couldn't do it in the end though. Just ended up with a scratched side panel and a bad conscience. Called a friend today. Gonna be staying with her for a few days while I get in touch with mental healthcare. I shoulda done that months ago.

I'm glad you ain't do it my dude. Stay alive and stay in touch, we got you. Are you on the discord at all?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nuclear War posted:

Come hang out with us in Discord so we can tell bad jokes and I can post old memes my son shows me.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Nuclear War posted:

Yo dude. I legit never post on SA anymore, but I just wanted to throw out there that you aren't alone.

And ditto on getting on Discord.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Nuclear War posted:

Hey I don't know you but I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself. Get yourself the help you need, take some time, and hop on the discord if you need someone to talk to.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just want to say I'm happy that we have this and that we don't suppress our feelings to the point that we end up in Jack Off Clubs

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Hey Nuclear War, you there man?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

What up bro, how are you doing?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I just want to say I'm happy that we have this and that we don't suppress our feelings to the point that we end up in Jack Off Clubs

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
gently caress. I just found out a friend of mine just died, maybe drank himself to death. He wasn't mil or a goon, but idk where else to post this. Dude was my age, 26, we even have the same exact birthday. I came so close to killing myself last year, first in May, then in July, the in September, then in December. But I'm still here and now he's not. Why not me? His dad was really depressed and killed himself a few months back. He was always a heavy drinker, but it only got worse as time went on. He was probably suffering so much, he didn't deserve that, nobody does. gently caress.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Viva Miriya posted:

What up bro, how are you doing?

Thanks guys. I finally saw a doctor and then a shrink. They didn't give a poo poo and sent me home, but the local VA equivalent has a program imma try to get into next week.

Until then I'll just try to stay away from triggers and alcohol. I've got a friend keeping an eye on me and I'm locked up on an old farm with a bunch of dogs and video games with her for the weekend at least.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Dogs are the answer to all of life's problems.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Thanks guys. I finally saw a doctor and then a shrink. They didn't give a poo poo and sent me home, but the local VA equivalent has a program imma try to get into next week.

Until then I'll just try to stay away from triggers and alcohol. I've got a friend keeping an eye on me and I'm locked up on an old farm with a bunch of dogs and video games with her for the weekend at least.

It sucks that they couldn't get you sorted today but I'm glad there's a program you can hop into. Stick with the therapy poo poo and make sure you got one you can actually connect with. You'll be set after that, I promise.

As for chilling at the far that sounds like a solid plan. It's doable my dude and you've made the right call. Stay in touch with us on the discord too if you want, we can keep ya company if your friend ain't around or if you need to talk in general. Do you want an invite?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

literally this big posted:

gently caress. I just found out a friend of mine just died, maybe drank himself to death. He wasn't mil or a goon, but idk where else to post this. Dude was my age, 26, we even have the same exact birthday. I came so close to killing myself last year, first in May, then in July, the in September, then in December. But I'm still here and now he's not. Why not me? His dad was really depressed and killed himself a few months back. He was always a heavy drinker, but it only got worse as time went on. He was probably suffering so much, he didn't deserve that, nobody does. gently caress.

This is exactly the place to post this. His mil/goon status doesn't matter. That sucks, dude. Had a dude in my community drink himself to death about 2 years ago (after a slew of other suicides in our ~1000 person community). The only good thing that came out of it was a group like this one that is a no judgment get help group which has since saved a few lives.

I guess what I'm saying is we're all glad you're still here, even if we don't know you personally. You're always welcome to talk through things here and we'll listen.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

literally this big posted:

Have a little bit of booze to remember him by.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

gently caress off

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
loving gently caress the gently caress off

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He's banned, move on. Don't gently caress with this thread ever.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Ty

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

It sucks that they couldn't get you sorted today but I'm glad there's a program you can hop into. Stick with the therapy poo poo and make sure you got one you can actually connect with. You'll be set after that, I promise.

As for chilling at the far that sounds like a solid plan. It's doable my dude and you've made the right call. Stay in touch with us on the discord too if you want, we can keep ya company if your friend ain't around or if you need to talk in general. Do you want an invite?

I have no idea how Discord works, but yeah sure, I'd love an invite.

EDIT: Nevermind I got an invite once. Even made an account. I'll see about going on there later.

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 8, 2019

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Is HCT okay?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884300&perpage=40#post493284345

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC9zBn50pUA

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

have you been able to get in touch with him?

update: i got in touch with his wife, he's okay (or as okay as he usually is, i guess).

hot sorcery fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 13, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ty for letting us know

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ty for letting us know

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Thanks dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

he has deleted his forums account & discord etc. and also was out of the house and his phone had died so he wasn’t responding to texts and when i tried to call it said the number was unavailable and everything.

get help friends, fifteen minutes of thinking he was dead was more than enough.