Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So this is just a reminder that Aliens is one of the best movies ever made. Don't even try to argue that.

I probably watch Aliens about 20 times a year. If I'm doing something on my computer I'll just put it on in the background and let it play. The director's cut has some great and very important scenes that they cut out. Like the entire reason why they went to LV-426 in the first place!!! Also the turret scene is great. It starts the beginning of the tension of them being hunted down while they're holed up.

Why aren't you watching Aliens right now?

This is also an excuse to bring up one of the best actors of all time. Bill Paxton. I was very upset to see him go, and it was due to complications from surgery. It was not his time and the dear lord stole him from us.

Paxton's character, Pvt Hudson, almost stole the movie if it wasn't a piece of god drat perfection in itself. He was the ultimate badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Xj24Gdxds
(this is first scene is from the director's cut I believe, whose loving idea was it to cut this out?) 49 pages and I finally reread the OP, this isn't true in the least bit.

So tell me goons. Now what the gently caress are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty poo poo, man! That is... unless we discuss this cinematic masterpiece.

Also, here is Michael Biehn (Hicks) saying hi to all of us.

Jay_Zombie posted:

Thinkin' bout Aliens maybe a little too hard ITT.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Get away from her you BITCH

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

When are they gonna finally throw down and adapt all that crazy aliens vs. Batman vs. Terminator vs. Robocop vs. Predator stuff from the 90's already?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

When are they gonna finally throw down and adapt all that crazy aliens vs. Batman vs. Terminator vs. Robocop vs. Predator stuff from the 90's already?

Excuse me sir this is an Aliens drive through thread.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Bill Paxton owns in Aliens so much. Game over, man! Paul Reiser is hilariously awesome too. I love how he plays the perfect smarmy corporate goon.

Alien is the far superior tense sci-fi thriller movie, but Aliens is fun as hell as a cheesy action flick where it goes so wrong.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's a good movie.

The alien franchise made me afraid of the dark as a kid, and childhood trauma is a hallmark of good cinema.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Tell us more about the missing scenes, OP! Why did they go there in the first place?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Aliens is a really bad movie, OP. Alien was a wonderful, unique, rich film with interesting characters, while Aliens is a lovely action movie full of cardboard cutout cliches. It's loving rear end.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
This is fine and normal

Ehhhhh, it's okay, I guess

Straight up pubes. People in the 80s loved wearing pubes on their head.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

feelix posted:

Aliens is a really bad movie, OP. Alien was a wonderful, unique, rich film with interesting characters, while Aliens is a lovely action movie full of cardboard cutout cliches. It's loving rear end.

You are true garbage. Get out of my thread.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Tell us more about the missing scenes, OP! Why did they go there in the first place?

So Newt's parents are surveying the land and come across the original spaceship from Alien. Welp, it does not... go... well... Scene ends with Newt screaming as a facehugger is wrapped around her dad.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Bill Paxton owns in Aliens so much. Game over, man! Paul Reiser is hilariously awesome too. I love how he plays the perfect smarmy corporate goon.

Alien is the far superior tense sci-fi thriller movie, but Aliens is fun as hell as a cheesy action flick where it goes so wrong.

Yeah you really really learn to hate Paul Reiser. He did an excellent job.

This is heresy to some but I like Aliens better than Alien. And that's because to me they are two different types of movies. Alien is a straight up horror whereas Aliens is an 80s action flick. They both hold special places in my heart.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Sometimes gibbis gets it right. Aliens is a loving masterpiece and I was legit heartbroken when I heard Al Matthews (Sgt. Apone) passed away.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

feelix posted:

nuclear hot take

lol go gently caress yourself, infidel

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You are true garbage. Get out of my thread.
No

quote:

This is heresy to some but I like Aliens better than Alien. And that's because to me they are two different types of movies. Alien is a straight up horror whereas Aliens is an 80s action flick. They both hold special places in my heart.
That's because you're a retard. There are good 80s action movies but Aliens isn't one. It tries to be cerebral (to pay dues to the actual good movie it is following I guess?) and fails, and the attempt at an interesting plot takes all the wind out of the action. It sucks in every single way. Most overrated movie ever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
People who like Aliens are the same people who don't understand that Robocop and Starship Troopers are satire

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

feelix posted:

See you call them cardboard cutouts but they were the mold for such cutouts. Every goddamn movie and game that had the shouty black sarge or sassy Latina or lovely corporate guy GOT IT FROM ALIENS. It made the mold and everyone ripped it off.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The same people that dislike the Starship Troopers movie for not being a faithful representation of the Starship Troopers book, which is an actual fascist manifesto

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Starship Troopers is the best war movie ever made

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Tracula posted:

See you call them cardboard cutouts but they were the mold for such cutouts. Every goddamn movie and game that had the shouty black sarge or sassy Latina or lovely corporate guy GOT IT FROM ALIENS. It made the mold and everyone ripped it off.

That's not a vindication of the lovely shallow characters, it only makes them not cliches. And I bet even that's not accurate and you could find earlier and better done examples of all of them.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

500 good dogs posted:

Starship Troopers is the best war movie ever made

I had the same reaction to both the movie and the book -- "this is satire, right?" Unfortunately, the book was not satire. The people who think that book was good are the same people who think Aliens is a good movie.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The characters are two dimensionally written but the cast is just so alive in all their scenes it makes up for it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The characters are two dimensionally wrotten but the cast is just so alive in all their scenes it makes up for it.

Exactly. You don't need some 4th dimensional character that makes you question reality to think they're good. We all know some jarhead or corporate shithead and that makes it easy to identify with, plus, god forbid, it's a movie so they amp it up to 11 sometimes.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Tracula posted:

Exactly. You don't need some 4th dimensional character that makes you question reality to think they're good. We all know some jarhead or corporate shithead and that makes it easy to identify with, plus, god forbid, it's a movie so they amp it up to 11 sometimes.

You're just describing things that are unequivocally bad and excusing them with "it's nbd lol"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I've never been in combat so IDK how people act but the "game over man" scene that everyone so loves is not easy to identify with, to me it very obviously reads as an actor hamming up poorly written lines and completely destroys my suspension of disbelief.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

feelix posted:

I've never been in combat so IDK how people act but the "game over man" scene that everyone so loves is not easy to identify with, to me it very obviously reads as an actor hamming up poorly written lines and completely destroys my suspension of disbelief.

:goonsay:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Aliens take on some characteristics of their host so I bet if we let a facehugger get feenix we'll end up with a stupid xenomorph who needs to wear a crash helmet and kneepads at all times and is wrong about everything.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

:goonsay:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Allegedly James Cameron's pitch for Aliens was only 30 seconds. He walked into the office and wrote ALIEN on the board. He then added an S and a vertical stroke so it read: ALIEN$

James Cameron got the job.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Aliens is a good movie, but I don’t like all of the director’s cut changes. The early scenes on LV426 are decent scenes (I really enjoy the bit with the hassled colony bureaucrats bantering) but they gently caress up the pacing and blow the reveal too early.

The sentry gun scene rules though.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Aliens is amazing, now please pass the android blood (milk)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Aliens take on some characteristics of their host so I bet if we let a facehugger get feenix we'll end up with a stupid xenomorph who needs to wear a crash helmet and kneepads at all times and is wrong about everything.

But they won't make a toy because who would want such poo poo?

Also im reading the prequel to Aliens. River of Pain. So I get to read about how everyone pretty much dies horribly before best movie starts.

(No clue if that big crossover comic series that also had Prometheus stuff in it is added into it. Or if it matters.)

Aliens owns and I have nearly every unique home system game in the AvP ip sphere except for a lovely MSX side scroller because its expensive and bad. Like people who diss Aliens bad.

(Alien too is good and part of a great list of 70s horror. Halloween. Jaws. Dawn of the Dead. All goddamn classics from when i was more or less in diapers.)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I remember watching this movie when I was like 7 and the scene where they peek through the vent and see all the Aliens crawling through giving me nightmares.

This part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OcpHqV9Th4&t=147s

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
they mostly come out at night

mostly

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That kids accent is whack

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Captain Rufus posted:

But they won't make a toy because who would want such poo poo?

Also im reading the prequel to Aliens. River of Pain. So I get to read about how everyone pretty much dies horribly before best movie starts.

(No clue if that big crossover comic series that also had Prometheus stuff in it is added into it. Or if it matters.)

Aliens owns and I have nearly every unique home system game in the AvP ip sphere except for a lovely MSX side scroller because its expensive and bad. Like people who diss Aliens bad.

(Alien too is good and part of a great list of 70s horror. Halloween. Jaws. Dawn of the Dead. All goddamn classics from when i was more or less in diapers.)

Ah yes, people who read novels based on movies always have the best opinions, second only to people who read Warhammer novels

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Colette Hiller as Corporal Ferro, the dropship pilot, is probably the best character of all the Marines and no one remembers her

we're in the pipe, 5 by 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vESxCZe0HA

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hey feelix, what are the good 80s action movies

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I'm weird though, I like Alien more because it's a slow burn

same reason I like the first Mad Max the best, too

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Alien is better than Aliens, but no way is Mad Max better than Road Warrior

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

skasion posted:

Hey feelix, what are the good 80s action movies

Commando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

skasion posted:

Alien is better than Aliens, but no way is Mad Max better than Road Warrior

that is not an argument I can make in good faith

road warrior is real good but Bubba Zanetti and the Toecutter are the best villains in the whole franchise