Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

The Bloop posted:

The Hawking blew up :smith:

Yeah, it probably should have just been crippled.

I'm sorry :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Man the union is bad at vetting crew. A krill in disguise, a robot hiding guns in their head, it's a wonder they've made it this far.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sedgr posted:

Yeah, it probably should have just been crippled.

I'm sorry :ughh:

Seth MacFarlane wouldn't apologize for that, neither should you!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Donovan Trip posted:

Man the union is bad at vetting crew. A krill in disguise, a robot hiding guns in their head, it's a wonder they've made it this far.

One thing I do like about the Union is while they have Starfleet ideals, it's clear they are in this uphill battle with all the other species to prove that it's actually a good idea. So, it's not like this monolithic entity that has the support and resources of every people they meet. They seem to be understaffed and stretched thin. Not sure if this is a real thing or if they'll refer to that after the losses they just had.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jazerus posted:

topa is the alexander of the orville

ty and marcus are the wesleys, except good

Ty is Wesley, Marcus will (hopefully) be Jake

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

"oh gently caress here come the godawful precocious starfleet children kill me now"

*cut to 15 minutes of horrendous bickering and kids being unbelievably lovely*

"ok nevermind, that was accurate"

I cannot begin to estimate how many parents have considered just destroying then one toy that both kids are fighting over.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
I had to rewind for a second because I was sure they said one of the ships that blew up was the SS Skrillex.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I love how they sent the kid because he was the only one that would fit, and rather than him having the same, or better, skills as experienced veterans, his job was to mash buttons at random.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Conclusions posted:

I had to rewind for a second because I was sure they said one of the ships that blew up was the SS Skrillex.

The USS Marshmello was also lost with all hands.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

The USS Marshmello was also lost with all hands.

Everyone was glad to see that the USS Jazz was blown up once they confirmed that all hands were lost.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

The USS West is currently broadcasting to all ships that it is God, won the battle single handed, and slavery was a choice.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Kurieg posted:

One of the conversations with EDI in mass effect 3 amounted to "While the biology isn't there and the mechanic of function is different I do have 'likes' and 'desires' based around past reactions to stimuli."

And then there's this from the beginning of Asimov's "Bicentennial Man":

quote:

It was for Little Miss that Andrew had carved a pendant out of wood. She had ordered him to. Miss, it seemed, had received an ivory pendant with scrollwork for her birthday and Little Miss was unhappy over it. She had only a piece of wood, which she gave Andrew together with a small kitchen knife. He had done it quickly and Little Miss had said, "That's nice, Andrew. I'll show it to Daddy." Sir would not believe it. "Where did you really get this, Mandy?" Mandy was what he called Little Miss. When Little Miss assured him she was really telling the truth, he turned to Andrew.

"Did you do this, Andrew?"

"Yes, Sir."

"The design, too?"

"Yes, Sir."

"From what did you copy the design?"

"It is a geometric representation, Sir, that fits the grain of the wood."

The next day, Sir brought him another piece of wood - a larger one - and an electric
vibro-knife.

"Make something out of this, Andrew.

Anything you want to," he said. Andrew did so as Sir watched, then looked at the product a long time. After that, Andrew no longer waited on tables. He was ordered to read books on furniture design instead, and he learned to make cabinets and desks.

"These are amazing productions, Andrew," Sir soon told him.

"I enjoy doing them, Sir," Andrew admitted.

"Enjoy?"

"It makes the circuits of my brain somehow flow more easily. I have heard you use the word `enjoy' and the way you use it fits the way I feel. I enjoy doing them, Sir."

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The Kaylon ships were one and two shotting big destroyers and you had to shoot the gently caress out of them to blow them up. I thought they were sufficiently shown to be more powerful, but not to a ridiculous "one cube can destroy the whole fleet" degree

And on top of that, you have the fact that their homeworld is equipped to crank those things out incredibly quickly.

To have any hope of surviving, the Union would pretty much have to focus all their top scientists and engineers on studying Kaylon technology and finding some weakness they could exploit.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Donovan Trip posted:

I mean, it's not like even without the headguns he couldn't just pick up a rifle and shoot them with that instead. Presumably being in the fleet comes with some level of "we trust you to not randomly murder everyone."

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Cockmaster posted:

To have any hope of surviving, the Union would pretty much have to focus all their top scientists and engineers on studying Kaylon technology and finding some weakness they could exploit.

There is the "use an EM field to at least temporarily disable all Kaylon on board" trick. Using literal nukes and their EMP side effect might actually be an option.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

JossiRossi posted:

There is the "use an EM field to at least temporarily disable all Kaylon on board" trick. Using literal nukes and their EMP side effect might actually be an option.

Thats assuming the Kaylon ships were crewed with Kaylon in bodies. It seems possible from the designs and responsiveness the ships might have just been giant ship sized kaylon. Which, in that case would probably mean they would be designed to be hardened against anything in an attack.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The kid who reprogrammed the replicator to get booze is Nog

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This show is so good oh my god

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Donovan Trip posted:

I picture this show taking place in an alternate universe where everyone has mild brain damage.
Like, the guy who invented and calibrated the health scanner thing was a former football player and it registered his brain as "normal".

I don't know who said it many many pages ago but yes: you can absolutely just SEE Seth McFarlane's utter joy at being a space captain fighting aliens on TV. He's got little rat eyes but they're so so happy to be the new Captain Kirk.
If this show gets canceled I'm moving to LA to be part of the production of The Orville he'll be doing in his backyard with cardboard sets.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Argon-40 posted:

The USS West is currently broadcasting to all ships that it is God, won the battle single handed, and slavery was a choice.

Adam West was pro slavery?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

Adam West was pro slavery?

Yes, just as long as they were SPACE SLAAAAAAVES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMa6nGDTuQ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The USS Quimby got blowed up in this episode, too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gonz posted:

The USS Quimby got blowed up in this episode, too.

Someone pour out a Vin Fiz for poor old Harriet. :(

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I do enjoy that instead of being a monolithic AI entity the Kaylons are robo butlers that became self aware and weaponized. They aren't some all powerful superior race, they're a group that's still coming to terms with their place in the universe.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think for the most part writers get nervous writing for kids and you end up with either the cloyingly precocious or the practically an adult brain in child body types. Even writing for teens gets iffy as we've seen with Wesley. I'd like for the show to last long enough to see how they grow into their own as the series goes on.

The best solution to this phenomenon I've ever seen is a fantastic British sitcom called Outnumbered. It was about a family with 3 kids (ranging from around 5-12 IIRC in season 1) and the solution was that any scene featuring one of the kids would be completely unscripted. The kids got some direction as to what the scene was about, and then they were simply unleashed, and the adult actors had to simply improvise. It led to some really great results.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Until the scene with Tye, I was convinced Isaac wasn't equipped with head lasers for whatever reason, and that would tie in to him coming to the conclusion that there was a developing caste system between those built pre and post genocide, ultimately leading to his own "rebellion".

I was also suprised they didn't also reach out to the Zoo aliens. They are both the technological equals of the Kaylon and biologic, so would have surely had a stake in all this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

swickles posted:

I was also suprised they didn't also reach out to the Zoo aliens. They are both the technological equals of the Kaylon and biologic, so would have surely had a stake in all this.

"The dog somehow dialed the phone again. Yeah, it's barking like something is happening. It's ok, boy! It's ok! Good boy. Now run along and play, I have important things to do so I'm hanging up."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

InsertPotPun posted:

I don't know who said it many many pages ago but yes: you can absolutely just SEE Seth McFarlane's utter joy at being a space captain fighting aliens on TV. He's got little rat eyes but they're so so happy to be the new Captain Kirk.
If this show gets canceled I'm moving to LA to be part of the production of The Orville he'll be doing in his backyard with cardboard sets.

It's so fun to watch. Whenever he gets to give a big command on the bridge or tells someone to come in when he's in his office you can just see in his face "Writing all those Family Guy jokes, all that voice work, producing the Cleveland Show, it was all for THIS moment."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That "Magnify!" on approaching Earth was a drat good line read too

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna be phase locking my deflectors all week

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Brawnfire posted:

I'm watching Part 2 again... 13 Button Salute is one of the worst, least subtle codes I have ever ever heard. The phrase should be something that a Union Captain would realistically say to another Captain before signing off, but with a cadence or hesitation stuck in somewhere.

I think a better code would have been to use body language which didn't match the tone of the message at all. Admittedly, that would only work for species which know the meaning of the others body language, but it would have worked in this case. It would be great to use on a race of "emotionless" artificial lifeforms which would have no such frivolity in their communication. (Did I post this already? I don't think I did...)

Nill posted:

The one thing that disappointed me about the shuttle-speed-boost scene was lack of any apparent damage to the shuttle.
Some scorch marks and bits of plating flaking off as it coasts to a stop, barely holding itself together, would have really sold the idea of how risky it was to exceed the design limits like that.

He did say beforehand that there was a good chance it would tear the shuttle apart, and it seems like even the successful run just blew out the entire power grid completely.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 3, 2019

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
The code should have been "See ya later, alligator."

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

they already call it a salute, just ... do a salute with 2 fingers instead of 5 or something like that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One thing that I noticed is that each species has a distinct color to their ships. The Union is blue, Kaylons Red, Krill green, and Mochlans are yellow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

One thing that I noticed is that each species has a distinct color to their ships. The Union is blue, Kaylons Red, Krill green, and Mochlans are yellow.

Yeah, and when those three laser colors started going nuts after the Krill showed up there was a kid-with-new-lego-set me inside just flipping out

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Maybe Seth isn't actually a bad actor, maybe he's just not great at playing the straight man. He's an animator, animators in my experience are animated people. His best voice work is when he gets really really silly.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Man I was really waiting for a "Your creators must be so proud of you" line somewhere in there. I assume they're saving it for the season finale.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, and when those three laser colors started going nuts after the Krill showed up there was a kid-with-new-lego-set me inside just flipping out

:same:

I don't have a lot of edge of my seat moments for TV, but as soon as the shuttle left the bay it was near relentless. Some damned good TV, and I am actually hoping that the larger story has better relations with the Krill.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The code should be "You didn't need to check on us. We're completely fine. 100%."

And it shouldn't be written down anywhere.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yes, just as long as they were SPACE SLAAAAAAVES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMa6nGDTuQ

I just watched this whole trailer, and I'm starting to doubt their claim of "this film is scientifically authentic"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Beachcomber posted:

The code should be "You didn't need to check on us. We're completely fine. 100%."

And it shouldn't be written down anywhere.

Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine, here, now, thank you. How are you?

But really, Issac had a 'provisional commission,' so yeah, any 'official' duress codes would be known to him, and hence, out the airlock.

I think my favourite was from one of the Honor Harrington books; the bridge gets taken over by 'allies,' the guy calls down to the captain, and says something like 'Don't worry, Captain, we have a bounty of extra hands' or something. Mutiny on the Bounty.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 4, 2019