Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo8BUOMhaWk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So this is just a reminder that Aliens is one of the best movies ever made. Don't even try to argue that.

I probably watch Aliens about 20 times a year. If I'm doing something on my computer I'll just put it on in the background and let it play. The director's cut has some great and very important scenes that they cut out. Like the entire reason why they went to LV-426 in the first place!!! Also the turret scene is great. It starts the beginning of the tension of them being hunted down while they're holed up.

Why aren't you watching Aliens right now?

This is also an excuse to bring up one of the best actors of all time. Bill Paxton. I was very upset to see him go, and it was due to complications from surgery. It was not his time and the dear lord stole him from us.

Paxton's character, Pvt Hudson, almost stole the movie if it wasn't a piece of god drat perfection in itself. He was the ultimate badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Xj24Gdxds
(this is first scene is from the director's cut I believe, whose loving idea was it to cut this out?)

So tell me goons. Now what the gently caress are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty poo poo, man! That is... unless we discuss this cinematic masterpiece.

Alien was better

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When you say Aliens is one of the best films ever made, how long is that list? 100? It might be in the top 100.

If it is just action films, then fine, it's top 20, no problem.

But greatest of any genre? I think it would be hard to put it in the top 100. Top 200 maybe. Top 500? Sure. Let's say it's in the top 500 films of all time. But is that really truly great?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
If Sigourney got topless it would have been the greatest movie ever.

Bill Paxton was an angel living among us. RIP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Robokomodo posted:

*slaps Robokomodo's wrist* NO. BAD. We don't do that. Not to her.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Basically, what I am saying is that if you think Aliens is one of the best films of all time you need to see more movies.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Robokomodo posted:

Bill Paxton was an angel living among us. RIP

the alien queen should have shown her tits

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Alien was better

No one is arguing this and Alien isn't what this thread is about. It's actually about Aliens.

Waltzing Along posted:

When you say Aliens is one of the best films ever made, how long is that list? 100? It might be in the top 100.

If it is just action films, then fine, it's top 20, no problem.

But greatest of any genre? I think it would be hard to put it in the top 100. Top 200 maybe. Top 500? Sure. Let's say it's in the top 500 films of all time. But is that really truly great?

Top 10.

edit: MY top ten

Waltzing Along posted:

Basically, what I am saying is that if you think Aliens is one of the best films of all time you need to see more movies.

I like movies, but I'll watch more. My tastes are simple. Hell, I like superhero movies. They're dumb as poo poo but fun. It doesn't have to always be an multiple award winning film. But I can also appreciate art. Sue me.

edit: Aliens was nominated or won 24 awards.

Felix posted:

dumb stupid absolute garbage bad words

You're too edgy for this thread.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 3, 2019

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
A day on Something Awful is like a day on the farm. Every thread a banquet! Every post a fortune! I love the forum!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mutant Headcrab posted:

A day on Something Awful is like a day on the farm. Every thread a banquet! Every post a fortune! I love the forum!

I love you. And so does Apone.

Look into my eye.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Prometheus was good have a nice night I love you

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Alien and Aliens are required viewing for understanding sci fi/action/film in general from from the late 70s onwards.
Aliens is the best film from 1986, easily. What else is remembered so well from that year? What else established the space-marine aesthetic everyone is still copying? For Doom to exist you need Aliens.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sid Vicious posted:

Prometheus was good have a nice night I love you

I hope you get facehugged Sid

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

And a I hope you get facehugged Sid to you as well :tipshat:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

:hmmyes:

Millions of Crows posted:

Alien and Aliens are required viewing for understanding sci fi/action/film in general from from the late 70s onwards.
Aliens is the best film from 1986, easily. What else is remembered so well from that year? What else established the space-marine aesthetic everyone is still copying? For Doom to exist you need Aliens.

Any "modern" and "gritty" space warrior is based off of the USCM (United States Colonial Marines for you plebs) (edit: also I can't back any of that up, I'm sure there were other movies that did it, that's not the point. The point is that Aliens is amazing). Not only are they a badass fighting force but they are also working for a corporation. Huh.... interesting.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhaAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

wadn't funny man

In school I used to do this on my desk when I got bored. Usually with the eraser down. But sometimes when I was feeling saucy, I'd do it pencil tip down. :smug:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Sometimes you just want to be enthralled from start to finish, without thinking about the villain's motivations or how the film is a modern day metaphor for foreign policy or trickle down economics or something.

Aliens is a perfectly exquisite meal that one can enjoy over and over without it being diminished in any way. I could probably recite the script to at least half the film and yet I'm never bored of watching it. It's the cinematic equivalent of a pint of beer, you've had countless ones before but the next one is just as good. Yes it's both great food and great beer.

Also the only thing decent from the Directors Cut is the sentry scenes, the rest just screws up the pacing and overexplains stuff.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 3, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Durzel posted:

Sometimes you just want to be enthralled from start to finish, without thinking about the villain's motivations or how the film is a modern day metaphor for foreign policy or trickle down economics or something.

Aliens is a perfectly exquisite meal that one can enjoy over and over without it being diminished in any way. I could probably recite the script to at least half the film and yet I'm never bored of watching it. It's the cinematic equivalent of a pint of beer, you've had countless ones before but the next one is just as good. Yes it's both great food and great beer.

Also the only thing decent from the Directors Cut is the sentry scenes, the rest just screws up the pacing and overexplains stuff.

so... we should have nuked Vietnam from orbit?

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Annihilation as liberation is pretty good Vietnam war metaphor.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Sometimes an ovipositor is just an ovipositor

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

VikingSkull posted:

Colette Hiller as Corporal Ferro, the dropship pilot, is probably the best character of all the Marines and no one remembers her

we're in the pipe, 5 by 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vESxCZe0HA

Hell fuckin' yeah

"Fly The Friendly Skies"

Which also brings up one my favorite things about Aliens, all the graffiti on the armor and uniforms was done by the cast member wearing the outfit.
Michael Bhiens's painted heart with a padlock attached to it is super rad. And Vasquez's "ADIOS" on the smart-gun.

Also, lol if you don't like Aliens

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
It is such a quotable film. I teach science to kids who were born in 2005, and when I announce a test, I will inevitably hear "Game over, man!" There are loads of quotable films, but this is one of the best.

I'm willing to say that the most quotable film is "Animal House", but "Aliens" is right up there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Durzel posted:

I like you a whole lot.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

so... we should have nuked Vietnam from orbit?

Eh, they mostly just used the Marine's attitudes after Vietnam. Going in to gently caress up some natives and getting their asses handed to them. At least that's my guess.

Julius CSAR posted:

Which also brings up one my favorite things about Aliens, all the graffiti on the armor and uniforms was done by the cast member wearing the outfit.
Michael Bhiens's painted heart with a padlock attached to it is super rad. And Vasquez's "ADIOS" on the smart-gun.

Yeah I heard about that somewhere. They were all able to gussy up their own gear. Also they went through a "boot camp" period of maybe 2 weeks where they had to do a bunch of military stuff. Probably to build camaraderie.

Julius CSAR posted:

Also, lol if you don't like Aliens

:hmmyes:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I got the quadrilogy on BluRay for like 26 bucks at the beat goes on and it has the assembly cut of 3 and all that jazz and a really nice steel book

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Aliens is the best action movie.

Commando my balls.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

After James Remar got fired, Michael Biehn’s agent called to ask if he had a passport, then he was on his way to England.

I hadn’t seen the deleted scene before of the colony pre-disaster. Agreed it was good to cut for pacing, but cool to see how the place was run.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Aliens is extremely good, yes. Scared the absolute gently caress out of me as a kid.

VikingSkull posted:

I like the first Mad Max the best, too

I couldn't possibly agree more with this. It just has such a ridiculously good atmosphere and cast and props and setting and it's just amazing. Everything about it.

I mean, Road Warrior is a great movie too, but the original wins hands down to me.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Aliens is easily the best film of all time. Glad to see an aliens thread in ol gibbis

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The theatrical cut is better imo, but I still prefer the director's for the turret scene

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

VikingSkull posted:

Colette Hiller as Corporal Ferro, the dropship pilot, is probably the best character of all the Marines and no one remembers her

So poorly remembered that they only based an entire Starcraft unit around her.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Tracula posted:

See you call them cardboard cutouts but they were the mold for such cutouts. Every goddamn movie and game that had the shouty black sarge or sassy Latina or lovely corporate guy GOT IT FROM ALIENS. It made the mold and everyone ripped it off.

The fun part about the Sassy Latina, Vasquez, was that the actress, Jenette Goldstien, was a favorite of Cameron's. She played Vasquez in "Aliens", Janelle, John Connor's foster mother in "Terminator 2", and the Irish mother with the small children in "Titanic".

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Aliens is awesome. Now, Aliens based video games.... Not so much.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Genesplicer posted:

The fun part about the Sassy Latina, Vasquez, was that the actress, Jenette Goldstien, was a favorite of Cameron's. She played Vasquez in "Aliens", Janelle, John Connor's foster mother in "Terminator 2", and the Irish mother with the small children in "Titanic".

:aaaaa:

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Too bad Alien³ took a huge dump over the entire Alien franchise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bodhidharma posted:

Too bad Alien³ took a huge dump over the entire Alien franchise.

FARKIN 'ELL

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ah yes, thrilling scenes of someone... typing... slowly on a... keyboard

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

I had the Aliens game on my C64 and the first stage was piloting the dropship through a series of radar hoops or something. It was so ridiculously hard that I doubt many people ever saw the rest of the game. It took me forever to beat it and when I finally did I was jumping around my bedroom fistbumping and shouting "in the pipe, 5 by 5". I still say this a lot and people look at me strangely.

The title music from that came used to creep young me out too, even though it's pretty poo poo even by 8-bit game standards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKq1b9CzToE

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

ah yes, thrilling scenes of someone... typing... slowly on a... keyboard

But it had tywin lannister in space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Kuato posted:

Aliens is easily the best film of all time. Glad to see an aliens thread in ol gibbis

that's actually Predator

Grape posted:

So poorly remembered that they only based an entire Starcraft unit around her.

I never played Starcraft