Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife can't eat dairy so we don't buy cheese from Costco much but we were holding a reception and got the assorted sliced cheese platter and a few of the guests mentioned how good the cheese was (paired with Carr's water crackers)

When I host parties, my go to is the Costco sliced cheese platter with the Carr's crackers, and a crockpot of those pineapple chicken meatballs. Oh, and I make my own hummus with one of those #10 cans of chickpeas.

Oh, and I always get 1 or 2 roast chickens for my poker games. It grosses me out a little, but people LOVE to pick at them with hands, even after they've been sitting out for 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

priznat posted:

Whenever my inlaws go to the US for shoppin they bring me back a couple bricks of Tillamook cheese from the costco there which is like manna from heaven.

It has been a while and I am missing it p hard.

are you canadian? you can buy tilliamook at most grocery stores, or at least, ones in california.

Costco doesn't sell their best cheese (extra sharp), but sometimes they have a Tillimook 2013 Reserve which is like a super sharp white cheddar with tasty little salt crystals and it's just so good to eat by itself.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

are you canadian? you can buy tilliamook at most grocery stores, or at least, ones in california.

Costco doesn't sell their best cheese (extra sharp), but sometimes they have a Tillimook 2013 Reserve which is like a super sharp white cheddar with tasty little salt crystals and it's just so good to eat by itself.

If you are Canadian, what the gently caress are you doing jonesing after American cheddar when you're in a respectable Commonwealth country that knows how to make it properly? Fucks sake, when I lived in the US I'd get Canadian Black Diamond cheddar whenever I saw it because I like my cheddar to be, y'know, actually cheddared.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah, Canada. Our dairy cartel doesn’t allow importing of cheese. And Tillamook is way better than most of what we get here (most US cheese is terrible though)

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

I mean the only reason this is bad in a restaurant setting is you don't want to trust kitchen randos to be drug/disease free (plus weird eww) but in your own house? Eating your own pinky?

Sounds to me like you just don't love cheese enough.

The one time this has happened to me so far I crushed up a styptic pencil and it worked pretty well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

priznat posted:

Yah, Canada. Our dairy cartel doesn’t allow importing of cheese. And Tillamook is way better than most of what we get here (most US cheese is terrible though)

Wisconsin kindly tells you to gently caress off buddy boy. :colbert:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

W Oh, and I make my own hummus with one of those #10 cans of chickpeas.

Can you link to a recipe that you like? I still haven’t been able to find a killer recipe

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I said most!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

feedmegin posted:

If you are Canadian, what the gently caress are you doing jonesing after American cheddar when you're in a respectable Commonwealth country that knows how to make it properly? Fucks sake, when I lived in the US I'd get Canadian Black Diamond cheddar whenever I saw it because I like my cheddar to be, y'know, actually cheddared.

oh man costco and i think sams club used to carry this. black diamond was sooooooooooooo loving good and it was a good price., i havent seen it in years (and i dont go to sams club anymore since it was always mooching along with my parents who had the card)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Hed posted:

Can you link to a recipe that you like? I still haven’t been able to find a killer recipe

processed/smashed chickpeas, tahini, olive oil.

mix to your taste. done. It's hard to nail down an exact recipe. Just play it by ear and after a bit you'll probably know what you like. You can add ingredients if you want. I prefer it simple.

vv ooh yeah, lemon juice. that's important. dunno how i missed that. fresh right out of the lemon. none of that bottled stuff.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 2, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lemon juice and optionally parsley in my hummus too plz

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pump the brakes, homie. You did time in the Pacific Northwest, you should be familiar with how exceptional Tillamook cheese and other dairy products are. Nobody's fighting for the crown here, just saying that it's way better than average American bland cheddar.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I host parties, my go to is the Costco sliced cheese platter with the Carr's crackers, and a crockpot of those pineapple chicken meatballs. Oh, and I make my own hummus with one of those #10 cans of chickpeas.

Oh, and I always get 1 or 2 roast chickens for my poker games. It grosses me out a little, but people LOVE to pick at them with hands, even after they've been sitting out for 4 hours.

Sounds like a good way to ruin your cards

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Diaper chat...

The Co is, unfortunately, not good for diapers. Target brand diapers are solid and can be had much cheaper than Costco offerings, particularly when you stock up when they are on sale (and use the Target CC for another 5% savings).

This CNBC list is seriously flawed. Contains diapers, glasses, and tires.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/01/best-deals-at-costco-beyond-food.html

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What's wrong with Costco glasses?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

pacerhimself posted:

You can buy them online from a hundred different places for 1/5 the cost.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Diaper chat...

The Co is, unfortunately, not good for diapers. Target brand diapers are solid and can be had much cheaper than Costco offerings, particularly when you stock up when they are on sale (and use the Target CC for another 5% savings).

This CNBC list is seriously flawed. Contains diapers, glasses, and tires.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/01/best-deals-at-costco-beyond-food.html

The Costco diapers are slightly higher quality, but we do use the Target overnight diapers. And I get 2% executive + 2% Costco card. But also we are on pullups now.

Target brand diaper genie refills are cheaper than Diaper Genie brand at Costco.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SirPablo posted:

You can buy them online from a hundred different places for 1/5 the cost.

They are only 60-70 at Costco, so while I like the idea of only spending $15 for glasses, I worry about how cheap the quality is going to be.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I don't knock anyone that gets 15 dollar glasses at Zenni but the actual lenses from Zenni don't hold up as well as Costco glasses. Plus you can try them on at the Co.
You can always have main set from Costco and buy a ton of cheapos online.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Got this jalapeno artichoke dip and idgaf about anything now this is all that i am ever eating again forever

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Got this jalapeno artichoke dip and idgaf about anything now this is all that i am ever eating again forever

yeah its straight crack

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

pacerhimself posted:

Nothing is exactly wrong. Costco glasses are good, good warrenty; however, their actual impact and importance has gone down over the last 10 years. They were great back in the 90s to late 00s because the competition was $400 Luxotica monopoly bullshit and getting a pair for like $150-200 was a great deal then. It's less so now because you can actually get super high quality glasses online for like <$50. Costco still has some advantages for glasses like trying them on first, or fittings (it's not hard to do yourself). If that's worth it, that's up to you to decide if the additional $$ is worth it. I personally feel like no.

I still do my eye exam at Costco because it's like $45 (tho the wait list can be pretty bad).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Pump the brakes, homie. You did time in the Pacific Northwest, you should be familiar with how exceptional Tillamook cheese and other dairy products are. Nobody's fighting for the crown here, just saying that it's way better than average American bland cheddar.

My ex-wife and I actually drove down the coast specifically to go to the Tillamook factory.

Yeah... that poo poo is good. Really good.

Wisconsin has the crown, no need to fight! :haw:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Seasons are garbage compared to King Oscars or Riga Sprats. I’ve begun leaving a request every time I go.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Wisconsin has the crown, no need to fight! :haw:

I hope you eat some tainted cheese for that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xaris posted:

Nothing is exactly wrong. Costco glasses are good, good warrenty; however, their actual impact and importance has gone down over the last 10 years. They were great back in the 90s to late 00s because the competition was $400 Luxotica monopoly bullshit and getting a pair for like $150-200 was a great deal then. It's less so now because you can actually get super high quality glasses online for like <$50. Costco still has some advantages for glasses like trying them on first, or fittings (it's not hard to do yourself). If that's worth it, that's up to you to decide if the additional $$ is worth it. I personally feel like no.

I still do my eye exam at Costco because it's like $45 (tho the wait list can be pretty bad).

Glasses becoming practically disposable over the last decade has been a great innovation for those of us who are clumsy and have bad eyes.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

Ah, I've had rough luck getting glasses that fit and look correct on my dumb face so I might stick with in person purchasing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just got a new tire at Costco and had a really bad experience. The hot dog was good of course.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

therobit posted:

I hope you eat some tainted cheese for that.

I don't usually buy blocks of cheese anymore, but when I was younger and living with my parents, we'd always have one or two of some standard Wisconsin cheddar and something else and if the cheese started molding?... Just cut off the mold and get back to work. That's how awesome cheese is.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol if u arent eating moldy rear end cheeses on tha regular

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I remember getting the huge blocks of government cheese when I was a kid. It was a loving huge rear end block of cheddar.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

I remember getting the huge blocks of government cheese when I was a kid. It was a loving huge rear end block of cheddar.

"Cheddar?" or Cheddar.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

"Cheddar?" or Cheddar.

I dunno the yellow stuff that my phone autocorrected it too 🧀

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Probably just giant pouches of MRE cheese.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

No Butt Stuff posted:

Would unironically buy if jalapeño cheese

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Not an empty quote

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I actually have a bunch of MREs in the basement from way back when. At least one had jalapeño cheese in it. Saving it for the end of the world.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This stuff.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

No Butt Stuff posted:

e.pilot posted:

gently caress the peanut butter.

MarcusSA posted:

This stuff.

I'm assuming that's something like Velveeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

gently caress the peanut butter.

I'm assuming that's something like Velveeta.

The only thing worse than the loving peanut butter was that it came with crackers. Gimme that wheat snack bread, you cheap fucks.