Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Endorph posted:

i like the part where he says nobody has cared about samurai shodown for 20 years, while obsessing over a game that needs CRT monitors to play on

The best part is you really don't need a CRT monitor or handwarmers, or any of the other insane poo poo they request, but by god, these four Manboy Kings need these things to play God's Chosen Fighting Game, Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube system

I actually really like smash games, and ultimate looks great, but the melee insular community has always been trash, and somehow stand out in a community with scummy people like Chris G. and Marn around

Speaking of actual scummy people, what happened to domestic abuser Infiltration? Was he rightfully disowned by everyone after all the heinous poo poo came out?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he was suspended from capcom's sfv tournaments for two years iirc, and sfv was the only game he played and capcom have a hand in most of the tournametns that get run for it, so what im saying here is hell be playing sf6 next year

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If melee didn't insist on using CRTs they'd be way less of an issue.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

TulliusCicero posted:

The best part is you really don't need a CRT monitor or handwarmers, or any of the other insane poo poo they request, but by god, these four Manboy Kings need these things to play God's Chosen Fighting Game, Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube system

yes you do need a sd crt or theres a ton of lag. I would never participate in a tournament run on a laggy setup. this was a huge problem in until systems all did hdmi out, even at Evo for some years. laggy setups still cause problems to this day, but with hardware that outputs an sd signal, you need an sd display that won't try to do a lot of post processing

Zand fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 2, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zand posted:

yes you do need a sd crt or theres a ton of lag. I would never participate in a tournament run on a laggy setup. this was a huge problem in until systems all did hdmi out, even at Evo for some years. laggy setups still cause problems to this day, but with hardware that outputs an sd signal, you need an sd display that won't try to do a lot of post processing

Nope, gamecubes have digital outputs on them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Arzachel posted:

not all of them

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm sure they could afford to dig up a couple digital-enabled gamecubes for a prominent event such as EVO if they really wanted to though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cant they play it on a wii

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
iirc Wii's even worse, there's no digital output at all

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the "melee players are such SNOBS for requiring CRTs" poo poo is exhausting. You're fighting game players, y'all know input lag is awful and rightfully rag on SFV for it on the reg. But once again, if Melee players are the target, any bullshit is fair game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hacked wii u

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Arzachel posted:

component out is only on some of them, and the cable costs 300 dollars. smash can output 480p using these cables, which a modern display will take and run through post processing which will introduce lag on many displays, even with game mode selected.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Chev posted:

I'm sure they could afford to dig up a couple digital-enabled gamecubes for a prominent event such as EVO if they really wanted to though.

You'd need more than a couple of gamecubes though considering the amount of entrants Melee usually gets, for any event really.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Introduces significant input lag, ask Jesse Hertz, he checked.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ventana posted:

You'd need more than a couple of gamecubes though considering the amount of entrants Melee usually gets, for any event really.

Nah, there are only the four people who matter so we can rotate them through one or two setups

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Introduces significant input lag, ask Jesse Hertz, he checked.

Bummer

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

i like the part where he says nobody has cared about samurai shodown for 20 years, while obsessing over a game that needs CRT monitors to play on

I mean I kinda get his point, it's a huge gamble to make a game like SamSho a mainline title when it's such a quantitive unknown. I mean it's not like sticking a Primal Rage 3 in there, but it definitely made me raise an eyebrow.

They had to have run the numbers and say this is a more cost efficient game to run.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

yeah it sucks but gamecube games were programmed with CRTs and line-by-line rendering in mind, half of them don't even have framebuffers at all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BattleTech posted:

I mean I kinda get his point, it's a huge gamble to make a game like SamSho a mainline title when it's such a quantitive unknown. I mean it's not like sticking a Primal Rage 3 in there, but it definitely made me raise an eyebrow.

They had to have run the numbers and say this is a more cost efficient game to run.

They always put new games in the line up tho. And evo is later in the summer than ever anyway

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

the "melee players are such SNOBS for requiring CRTs" poo poo is exhausting. You're fighting game players, y'all know input lag is awful and rightfully rag on SFV for it on the reg. But once again, if Melee players are the target, any bullshit is fair game.
Imagine if 3s players got this mad anytime someone criticized their game. Actually I dont know what my point is

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't play melee. I dom't enjoy playing it, or watching it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zand posted:

component out is only on some of them, and the cable costs 300 dollars. smash can output 480p using these cables, which a modern display will take and run through post processing which will introduce lag on many displays, even with game mode selected.

the cable has a DAC inside of it which is why it's so expensive, it's only fairly recently that somebody reverse engineered the cable and released a converter that'll allow the gamecube to output straight to HDMI.

of course now you need gamecubes that have the digital out port as well as the (still fairly expensive) converter, not to mention last I checked there were build quality issues with the converter and it had a chance of frying your gamecube

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If there was a good solution to dragging around CRTs I'm sure the Melee community would've implemented it by now. EVO cutting Melee is a matter of logistics mostly, and the community wanting to apply Smash-only tournament standards to a tournament that accomodates all kinds of games hasn't really endeared them to Mr. Wizard.

Plus, the community doesn't really interact with any other games in a meaningful way from what it looks like. EVO is a celebration of all fighting games that can afford Wiz's payola, if your community wants Genesis or bust, then maybe it's better that you stay on your own corner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah for the record im not knocking him for playing a game that needs crts, im knocking him for acting like samsho being old is a strike against it when, well

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

TulliusCicero posted:

Speaking of actual scummy people, what happened to domestic abuser Infiltration? Was he rightfully disowned by everyone after all the heinous poo poo came out?

My understanding, which could be wrong, is that his ex lied about some stuff and all that is for certain from Court documents is that he grabbed her wrist really hard. But the way the courts there are setup seem to really help disguise the details/specifics.

I don't mean to imply he's not a lovely person, just that there's enough confusion around it that the scene probably won't turn on him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Does your understanding come from reddit posts

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
melee players using crts is like, 1 of the 2 things it isn't valid to rag on them for lol

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm not ragging on them it's just a fact that it's an inconvenience and is an easy thing for people to bring up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

absolutely anything posted:

melee players using crts is like, 1 of the 2 things it isn't valid to rag on them for lol

What if they are spongebob crts

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Benson Cunningham posted:

My understanding, which could be wrong, is that his ex lied about some stuff and all that is for certain from Court documents is that he grabbed her wrist really hard. But the way the courts there are setup seem to really help disguise the details/specifics.

I don't mean to imply he's not a lovely person, just that there's enough confusion around it that the scene probably won't turn on him.

Korean courts are apparently incredibly lovely about this
here's a transcript of a recording that was submitted during the trial

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Real hurthling! posted:

What if they are spongebob crts

that makes it even less valid to rag on them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Infiltration gtab

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Ultimate Yikes Bros.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

jesus loving christ :smith:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

the shrek and hello kitty crts are way better than the spongebob ones

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yes this was from the initial reddit post which was seemingly never substantiated based on panda global's investigation into the matter. doesn't mean it didn't actually happen, and it'd be a real bad look on PG's part to gloss over such a detail

edit: wait this is different from the other one I read where he was beating her or something

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

regardless gently caress infiltration forever

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Real hurthling! posted:

I thought evo pots were not that big

Eh, probably not, I don't pay that much attention, but I figure if you're somebody who plays Melee for a living you probably need every payout you can get.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

you don't even need all the extraneous stuff to make fun of melee players. Just look at the screen, look at what they watch and enjoy looking at. It's insane lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Are you referring to the gentleman's art of jumping on and off the ledge with no one going in for feels like ever?