Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah def important to note they actually turned the game around substantially from its terrible release. It’s not perfect but it’s certainly playable/enjoyable now.

EDIT: Yikes awful page snipe, talking about NMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I've played a ton of No Man's Sky. The big update last year turned it from one of my favourite games to make fun of to one of my favourite games to chill out with

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, I'm one of those folks who enjoyed it on release, but it's loving staggering the amount of improvements they've made to it. I really like the car vehicle they added, and especially the hovercraft that lets you ramp off mountains and get ridiculous air.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
NMS lacks the visceral feel of Subnautica. It feels like a generic make-numbers-bigger simulator instead of a survival mystery game.

That being said, Spacenautica would be interesting because it's a similar concept (limited air environments) and they could use an offshoot of the Kharaa to make space fauna.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Abyss update for NMS even added undersea bases and a driveable sub, so if you squint (really) hard you can pretend you’re playing Subnautica.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, I'm one of those folks who enjoyed it on release, but it's loving staggering the amount of improvements they've made to it. I really like the car vehicle they added, and especially the hovercraft that lets you ramp off mountains and get ridiculous air.

Yeah, No Man's Sky is basically my chill out and fart around game right now. Or was; I might be done with it. The Artemis story was actually quite well done but I do find the game to be pretty shallow. There are really only so many permutations of worlds that can exist. I feel like the only things left for me to do are to hit the center a couple of times and scour the galaxy for S class everything.

Definitely not the train wreck it was on release now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's still $80, and like gently caress I'm going to support that lovely business model.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wait for a sale?

$60 American right now. I think I got it for $30 on a sale a couple months ago. I haven't had time to toy with it but I didn't hate it for the 40 hours I played.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tetrabor posted:

NMS lacks the visceral feel of Subnautica. It feels like a generic make-numbers-bigger simulator instead of a survival mystery game.

That being said, Spacenautica would be interesting because it's a similar concept (limited air environments) and they could use an offshoot of the Kharaa to make space fauna.

There's always Breathedge, but don't get it until april/may when the next big update should hit

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Space Subnatica wouldn’t work because space isn’t scary unless there is stuff like xenomorphs or ghost ships included.

Underwater in the dark always carries tension. The next game I’d like to see is a more developed subnatica. I’d be happy with subnatica 2 . A new planet with more ships and objects more to build more to do.

I’d like some basic pressure mechanics added and increase the depth to 10,000 meters; make that be the real battle of the game getting down there. Lastly I want some truly huge creatures in the depths. Megalodons and giant squids. Something so big the sea emperor would be a small fish in comparison. I want to feel the same fear I did meeting a reaper the first time and that early dread of unknown horrors lurking just below the surface.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DropsySufferer posted:

Space Subnatica wouldn’t work because space isn’t scary unless there is stuff like xenomorphs or ghost ships included.

Spacenautica: Isolation?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DropsySufferer posted:

The debris field of a vast alien ship that crashed into an asteroid and broke apart.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

DropsySufferer posted:

Underwater in the dark always carries tension. The next game I’d like to see is a more developed subnatica. I’d be happy with subnatica 2 . A new planet with more ships and objects more to build more to do.

I’d like some basic pressure mechanics added and increase the depth to 10,000 meters; make that be the real battle of the game getting down there. Lastly I want some truly huge creatures in the depths. Megalodons and giant squids. Something so big the sea emperor would be a small fish in comparison. I want to feel the same fear I did meeting a reaper the first time and that early dread of unknown horrors lurking just below the surface.

It's totally possible to include those, though. The playable area is a section of a planetary ring system with a high density of particulates. Instead of an unlimited ability to move, give the player a "hook" device that can latch onto an sufficiently large object within a set range and pull you towards it and let you walk on it, or you can push off at high speed to aim at another hookable object. A limited fuel gauge to adjust course when you aren't hooked. Constant threat of missing the object that you're jumping towards and hurling out into deep space. Add space critters that live in the ring system (and eat the rich particulates found in the magnetic "flux tube" ala Jupiter). Some of them are small and harmless, some are larger and more aggressive. Some of them are fuckmassive and slow. Add in solar eruptions that force the player to hide in the shadows or radiation hot spots for dangerous terrain. Include some ring fragments that are basically ancient alien ships or stations that have become encased in ice and need to be explored to find out why the player's ship was disabled and turn off whatever effect is currently preventing you from signalling for help.

You could totally make an Astronautica game. And it could be fun as hell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MikeJF posted:

The debris field of a vast alien ship that crashed into an asteroid and broke apart.
Oh, so just Space Hulk then.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

I know it would never happen because it would break their engine over its knee but I'd love to see weather systems in a Subnautica sequel. Mechanically it could be used to clean up and respawn cells and give incentives to create multiple bases. I mostly want it though because ocean storms freaked me out as a kid to the point of having reoccurring nightmares which would add a layer of terror for me in a sequel.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Iron Twinkie posted:

I know it would never happen because it would break their engine over its knee but I'd love to see weather systems in a Subnautica sequel. Mechanically it could be used to clean up and respawn cells and give incentives to create multiple bases. I mostly want it though because ocean storms freaked me out as a kid to the point of having reoccurring nightmares which would add a layer of terror for me in a sequel.

BZ apparently has weather balloons and a weather station base module in its freebuild mode right now. I think it's just for above-ground temperature stuff though

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd personally love to see currents.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any sort of consensus on how this game plays in VR? I remember looking into it last year when I had a headset, and I think reactions were mixed. Been thinking about buying it lately though, but it seems like a game that could really benefit from VR, so if it's actually good with it I'd probably rather just hold off until I have a headset again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Twinkie posted:

Weird thing is, the Degasi logs outright mention that the floating island is battered by violent storms as one of the reasons the crew eventually took to the sea. I suppose it's probably another thing that was possibly planned but cut for technical reasons, like wandering Leviathans.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Peachy Poo posted:

Is there any sort of consensus on how this game plays in VR? I remember looking into it last year when I had a headset, and I think reactions were mixed. Been thinking about buying it lately though, but it seems like a game that could really benefit from VR, so if it's actually good with it I'd probably rather just hold off until I have a headset again.

The UI, i.e. health, oxygen indicators and inventory, is rendered about an inch from your face which made it completely unplayable to me. Some people don't have an issue with it but it gave me a headache. Really frustrating as it'd probably only take 5 minutes to fix if they could be bothered.

The environments look pretty great though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, started up a new game to blitz through, headed to the aurora right after the explosion. Fixed the drive core, headed to the prawn bay, and it straight up BSOD'd my pc. Just full crash reboot the instant I started using a fire extinguisher on a burning prawn suit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Welp, started up a new game to blitz through, headed to the aurora right after the explosion. Fixed the drive core, headed to the prawn bay, and it straight up BSOD'd my pc. Just full crash reboot the instant I started using a fire extinguisher on a burning prawn suit.

To be fair, that probably indicates either an nvidia/ati driver bug or a hardware issue.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, it is pretty much impossible for a user-level application to cause a BSOD all on its own (hooray for NT). They can cause the system to trip over driver bugs or hardware faults, but those bugs or faults are independent of the game itself.

GPU driver, sound driver, or memory issues would be my top guesses given the circumstances of the crash, but without the error information it'd be hard to say anything further.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

My least favorite part of my play session today was when the next door reaper leviathan (who's been visible from my base in the Safe Shallows area for days now) got ahold of my decked-out Prawn suit while I was gathering and pushed it ~5m it into the terrain, clipping it into unreachable oblivion. I hovered around for about 10 minutes looking for a cave or something I could use to get to it before slinking home and writing it off as a wash.

My favorite part was when that same leviathan later grabbed it and pulled it back out by clipping into the terrain again. Luckily I was working in my base, pointed right in that direction at that very instant so I saw the prawn suit icon flopping around on my HUD. I came a-runnin' and there it was at 24% health!

My second least favorite part was when I clipped into the terrain in the precursor aquarium and had to reload after not saving for half an hour.

I agree with everybody about the ending. It was good to hear from the Sea Emporer one last time , but yeah the final fetch quest was a major drag and felt a little anti-climactic. But, even with all the weird bugs and storyline, I'd still buy the game again in a heartbeat! v:v:v Definitely going to wait for BZ to get cleaned up a bit first.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Finishing up the Sacriel stream archive(played at 1.5x speed because man that fella is SLOW) and it was a pretty enjoyable experience. While I'm not sure anything will top the amazing jumpscare of his girlfriend grabbing him as he fled from a reaper leviathan causing him to curl into the fetal position, his very first encounter with a Sea Dragon being him putzing around the lava zone hearing the thing a bunch, being like "what the gently caress is that noise", and the sea dragon descends upon him from above, roaring and shooting fireballs everywhere

he basically had this reaction and it was amazing

best non-leviathan-related moment imo was when Geoff the Cuddlefish became one with the Cyclops. That whole scene was utterly hilarious

Gotta agree with him though, Subnautica was an absolutely unique experience. Can't really remember a game that affected me in quite the same way as Subnautica, and certainly not in the utter, animalistic terror way it did. I did like how he gradually got better with his absolute terror from his Thalassophobia, though he never did go fight a reaper or ghost leviathan. booooo!

Him and Seagull both thinking a Sea Dragon should have ascended to the surface to attack the Neptune Rocket during takeoff or something is a dumb thing and no thank you sirs. :colbert:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I've been watching Day9 play it and he is super scared of going deep or swimming around when it is dark, and in general many people find the game scary purely because of the deep ocean. I can find the various leviathans scary, but not the water in itself.
I wonder if people in places like the US are more likely to be afraid of the ocean because the country is so huge, that many people have simply never swam there.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Oasx posted:

I've been watching Day9 play it and he is super scared of going deep or swimming around when it is dark, and in general many people find the game scary purely because of the deep ocean. I can find the various leviathans scary, but not the water in itself.
I wonder if people in places like the US are more likely to be afraid of the ocean because the country is so huge, that many people have simply never swam there.

I'd say it's more 'Fear of the Unknown' more than anything else. Though the U.S. is certainly phobia-mongering itself.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Oasx posted:

I've been a certified scuba diver since I was a kid, have gone swimming in the Caribbean with bioluminescence, and I still sat on the stupid safety pod through the first few nights because diving into pitch-black water was viscerally scary. I can walk to the ocean though, maybe this applies to Nebraska.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Oasx posted:

That could be true for some people, but there are plenty of people (like me) who grew up near one of the US coasts and regularly went swimming in the ocean during summer beach trips, but who are still terrified of the deep ocean. And "deep" is the key word, because swimming near the beach (which I guess most closely corresponds to the safe shallows in this game) never scared me. The only things I would worry about near the beach about were things which this game doesn't use, like fatigue if you swam too far from shore and rip currents. Shallow water (at least near US beaches) also generally has relatively low likelihood of being attacked by real threats like sharks, and usually there will be plenty of other people around who could help if you did get in trouble. Deep water is a whole different story, and I find it scary for most of the same reasons I find outer space (specifically when you're in a space suit in a zero gravity environment) scary. Your ability to sense unknown threats, react to and deal with them is significantly weaker than normal, and help is probably too far away to count on. This really makes the in-game atmosphere intense.

Also, this is why I think the Prawn suit ruins the horror atmosphere (IMO; I know some others like the action way more than the suspense), because it's such a mobile tank that nothing short of falling into the void is even remotely a threat to you when you're in it. I'm avoiding spoilers for Below Zero, but I really hope the Prawn suit (if it's in) is somehow changed so you can't just strut around like you're invulnerable.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I once nearly drowned near shore when I was ~9 and got both disoriented and shoved well under the water by a wave in murky water and couldn't tell which way was up. I've had a fear of drowning and water I can't see the bottom of ever since.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i found subnautica to be extremely relaxing and not even remotely scary, in fact i built my base right underneath the patrol routes for one of the ghost leviathans and had to do evasive maneuvers to avoid getting chomped every time i returned home. fear of the ocean or finding thus game frightening is weird to me.

also i hope to someday dive to the abyssal plain in a submersible in real life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Oasx posted:

Thalassophobia is definitely not a unique phenomenon to people who haven't been in the ocean much. There is a base reaction to being in a body of water that you can't see the bottom of, not everyone has it, but it's by no mean an irrational fear. I loving love swimming in the ocean or otherwise, but there's still the stomach-dropping sensation of looking down and seeing the beams of light descending into nothingness.

Subnautica plays with this by making the especially scary baddies like reapers and ghosts have an audio cue when they're nearby but not aggro'd yet, so you can be in that situation and KNOW there's something there that wants to kill you.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Captain Invictus posted:

Thalassophobia is definitely not a unique phenomenon to people who haven't been in the ocean much. There is a base reaction to being in a body of water that you can't see the bottom of, not everyone has it, but it's by no mean an irrational fear. I loving love swimming in the ocean or otherwise, but there's still the stomach-dropping sensation of looking down and seeing the beams of light descending into nothingness.

Subnautica plays with this by making the especially scary baddies like reapers and ghosts have an audio cue when they're nearby but not aggro'd yet, so you can be in that situation and KNOW there's something there that wants to kill you.

Well that and your goddamn AI saying "oh hey it looks like something ate everything else that used to live in this area, you sure you want to keep going?"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i found subnautica to be extremely relaxing and not even remotely scary, in fact i built my base right underneath the patrol routes for one of the ghost leviathans and had to do evasive maneuvers to avoid getting chomped every time i returned home. fear of the ocean or finding thus game frightening is weird to me.

also i hope to someday dive to the abyssal plain in a submersible in real life.

Same. It was more interesting and atmospheric then scary. The first night when I went out the bottom of the pod and saw all the cool lighting and rich creatures was awe-inspiring. And let's be real, most people playing for an audience are going to ham it up for entertainment purposes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a highlight reel of scare moments in Subnautica where this Asian lady gets grabbed by a reaper in her seamoth and screams and fails for about a second, covers her mouth and stops immediately, and then looks to the side to the chat. There's streamers like that, but also ones like sacriel who might ham it up occasionally but are usually genuine, like initially he's just like "I literally cannot do this, I can't go into that area, the skin on the back of my neck is itching like crazy just looking at it"(referencing a dropoff into nothing) due to his acute phobia, but he gradually forces himself forward.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well that and your goddamn AI saying "oh hey it looks like something ate everything else that used to live in this area, you sure you want to keep going?"

That and there's no ingame map. It's very easy to get turned around and wander right back into the area you just went through.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I’m scared of deep water in real life, but can’t really get too scared at subnautica. A little creepy but not too much.

Love love love the game. I’d play well done subnautica clones, one after the other, all day erry day, if they make them right.

My guess is there’s going to be a ton of clones since this one has done so well, and below zero has an amazing early access following already (even if there’s plenty of work to do).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The majority of US citizens live fairly close to large, natural bodies of water but we do love horror-movies about the ocean or being underwater or drowning, in general.

I think the sound design and score do a lot to ramp up the tension...this game does an amazing job of immersing (:heysexy:) the player in its world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny that early on I did a lap around the Aurora with the Seaglide barely noticing the Reapers. Even swam around the back not noticing the one in the murk til I saw its shadow...

I actually saw some claws breaching the surface and though it was some kind of large squid.

Also iirc the low biodiversity area doesn't have any Leviathans within it, it's just kinda there. Though implied to be a result of various mass extinctions. I think it's implied the big meteorite crater might have contributed before the Khaara showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
My favorite part of the Day9 video was the way he kept looking at the wrecked ship and saying it terrified him by being too big because it's both completely silly and something I sympathize with. The immensity of being up close to something as massive as a whale with miles upon miles of water and life underfoot really throws my brain for a loop. It's one of those confused feelings when adrenaline is running but can't quite tease out if it's from excitement or terror, same as thinking about something like skydiving. I'm probably wired for this kind of thing since I've been into lovecraftian cosmic horror since high school.

General fear of the unknown is like horror movie 101 stuff, though. You never show the whole monster until the end because imagination is always worse than reality.

Mason Dixon posted:

Also, this is why I think the Prawn suit ruins the horror atmosphere (IMO; I know some others like the action way more than the suspense), because it's such a mobile tank that nothing short of falling into the void is even remotely a threat to you when you're in it. I'm avoiding spoilers for Below Zero, but I really hope the Prawn suit (if it's in) is somehow changed so you can't just strut around like you're invulnerable.
I'm not even sure if it's the invulnerability so much as familiarity breeds contempt. Subnautica's been sitting in my steam library so the Day9 vid prompted me to start playing the game for the first time and I've been going through this arc with it these two weekends (finishing the game today).

At the start I had the super tensed up and slow incursions into murky, deep water with some massive unseen thing calling out until you meet the reefbacks and took a while to approach them, with some amount of wonder and awe. Eventually I passed through enough times that it just became a commute on the way to some other tense, wondrous, point of interest. That's been the whole cycle that's been engrossing me throughout and peaked when first getting into the lost river area with all the beautiful bio-luminescence, teasing fossils, and tension at being trapped in this small confusing space with a ghost leviathan (which I'd only encountered one once by accident at the crater's edge as it chased me 300m to the surface when I was dangling on an emergency inflatable).

What happened is I got lost. I think I went past the same ghost leviathan dozens of times wandering around the cave, plus a bunch of trips past one in open water without realizing it when I moved my primary habitat down there. First I realized they weren't actually all that aggressive, I could just skirt around them in the seamoth and usually be ok. When I swapped over to the prawn, not only was the getting lost worse because of the travel time, but I couldn't nervously skirt by as easily hoping not to be noticed. When it did come after me, it turns out my clompy go-bot rear end could still dance circles around this chucklefuck. He came after me, I'd punch him in the face while dodging or tarzan swing around the corner. I'm not sure he ever actually managed to hit me. That transferred over when I got back in the squishier seamoth only I'd juke him into headbutting a wall instead. Mystery's gone, now he's a set of behaviors and known responses because I had to confront it instead of continuing to avoid and run scared.

Basically the monsters aren't actually that threatening in general, it's mostly presentation, so they dodged the horror game trap of killing the player too many times that it ceases to be scary, but then still tilted their hand with overexposure afterward. The lava area afterward didn't grab me back, it was pretty ugly and videogame-y, so gathering and organizing all the materials for the rocket just got tedious without the drive of opening more of the environment. If the lost river was more straightforward, lava area shorter and the game ended at the last facility without a lot of extra farming, I think it would've been perfect. Right now I'm a little lukewarm just due to how the experience ended once the spell was broken.

I was going to wait on Below Zero getting the official release regardless. Hopefully by then it works on me again and the pacing late-game is better.

yook fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 7, 2019