Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Oh it's nothing like that. I live on an estate with a lot of housing blocks, but we have quite a few grass verges here and there. This one for example is about a 15 minute walk from me.

Grass is great and all, but with all the sun it get's it would be a pretty all right place to just lay some seeds down, or maybe buy one of those 6 plants for a tenner packs from somewhere, and just lay a few down here and there.

It's just, what sort of of seeds/plants are going to be able to survive on their to make it worth it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Planted a lot of bulbs last fall and I'm excited ~it's happening~

The white are snowbells that were here when we moved in

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Shame Boner posted:

I think it's cool as long as you aren't, say, broadcasting mustard seed in someone's lawn just to be a jerk. That said, I'd love to see developed a glyphosate-immune strain of mustard that conquers all golf courses.

and totally stops there right

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Succulents $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Succulents $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

You're living the dream! What the hell is that leafy weird tall skinny cactus in the bottom right? That thing looks weird and fun! Like a kelp cactus. Looks like you haven't repotted many of those, are you seeing much growth?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Actually these are all my girlfriend's plants. I don't really know much about them but I'll pass the question on.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It’s Euphorbia trigona or something similar. I think there might be a few euphorbias that look like that.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 16, 2019

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, definitely some form of Euphorbia, they're not true cacti in that they actually make leaves (whereas in cacti the spines are their version of a leaf).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Marchegiana posted:

Yeah, definitely some form of Euphorbia, they're not true cacti in that they actually make leaves (whereas in cacti the spines are their version of a leaf).

Also because they come from central Africa, whereas all cacti are new-world plants.

Interestingly, Euphorbia trigona also never been observed in the wild, so they're at minimum a heavily-bred species. There's some speculation that they're even a hybrid -- they apparently never go to seed, and are entirely propagated vegetatively. Supposedly they make good hedges in the right climate...

Euphorbia is a weird genus too -- it includes poinsettia, which you wouldn't think was at all related to E. trigona. There's also other weirdness like Euphorbia obesa.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Haiti is one place where Euphorbia can grow as hedges, they use them in the place of fences there as you can see. Nothing to deter intruders like a wall of thick, spiny plants that ooze caustic sap when broken!

Thesaurus_Rex
Feb 10, 2005
I'm Disgruntled Bovine's girlfriend, and I'm a cactus and succulent addict. The plant mentioned is some E. trigona or closely related species. The cool thing about that plant is the bottom of it is entirely crested growth. I'm gonna cut back the tall reversions at some point, but for now I like the look. Euphorbias are probably my favorite genus, I think I have around 30 different ones right now, including an E. obesa. :sun: As far as repotting goes, I've seen good growth in the warmer months (New England native here) and tend to keep them a bit pot bound to avoid too much moisture as the whole lot goes on the balcony in growing season.

Thesaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 16, 2019

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yesss.... that's a really impressive collection. I totally love euphorbias so I'm very happy to see some euphorbia chat here.

I took a photo of some of my weird little guys.

Back row (left to right): Euphorbia lactea (Variegated crest form), Euphorbia flanaganii, Euphorbia polygona cv. Snowflake, Euphorbia canariensis
Middle row: Euphorbia obesa, Euphorbia japonica, Euphorbia obesa, Euphorbia abdelkuri (grafted), Euphorbia bupleurifolia
Front row: Euphorbia stellata, Euphorbia obesa, Euphorbia stellaspina, Euphorbia suzannae

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Plant MONSTER. posted:

:kimchi: What a cute baby Oncidium. Do you know what colors the flowers were?

You know it bloomed for like four months last year and I don't think I have a single picture! Really pretty flowers, deep sort of fuschia/purple with every other petal white. I thought they seemed very simple and elegant-looking but my sister, who knows more about orchids, called them "structurally complex." I don't really get what that means but I don't think the remaining bulbs are big enough to flower again this year unfortunately.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

Oh it's nothing like that. I live on an estate with a lot of housing blocks, but we have quite a few grass verges here and there. This one for example is about a 15 minute walk from me.

Grass is great and all, but with all the sun it get's it would be a pretty all right place to just lay some seeds down, or maybe buy one of those 6 plants for a tenner packs from somewhere, and just lay a few down here and there.

It's just, what sort of of seeds/plants are going to be able to survive on their to make it worth it in the first place.

So ... depends what you want. That's a pretty prime place to plant. That said, the grass is very much in the way, and I'd imagine there's a landscaping person or crew that goes around and mows it.

One trick you can do (but will have to be patient about) would be to put some spring bulbs under the sod. (ie lift it and put it back). You'd have to do this in the autumn, but it can be pretty effective, especially if you plant things like snowdrops or crocuses that come out before the lawn's started growing enough to need mowing. If you're set on doing this guerilla-style, that would be what I'd do.

https://www.wikihow.com/Plant-Bulbs-in-Grass

You could also try putting in wildflowers, but a) they'd be fighting with the grass, b) they'd get mown down pretty regularly, and c) it's possible they spray that grass with something that kills off broadleaf plants. (If they spray, it'd likely kill of the bulbs too, but you'd at least be able to get in a round of blooms first.)

Have you thought about talking to the estate manager about just digging in a flower bed there and maintaining it yourself? If you go that route, you'd want to dig it properly (ie loosen the soil down two feet and throw in some compost), but then you could go hog wild with cheap six-packs of plants, bulbs, etc.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

First time this season picking up some stuff from the garden center so of course we came home with a few fun things. Anyone ID the one on the right? It's just tagged 'cactus'

Also made this little arrangement as a housewarming present which I'm happy with :3:

Thesaurus_Rex posted:

I'm Disgruntled Bovine's girlfriend, and I'm a cactus and succulent addict. The plant mentioned is some E. trigona or closely related species. The cool thing about that plant is the bottom of it is entirely crested growth. I'm gonna cut back the tall reversions at some point, but for now I like the look. Euphorbias are probably my favorite genus, I think I have around 30 different ones right now, including an E. obesa. :sun: As far as repotting goes, I've seen good growth in the warmer months (New England native here) and tend to keep them a bit pot bound to avoid too much moisture as the whole lot goes on the balcony in growing season.

I'm jealous of the setup!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Nosre posted:

First time this season picking up some stuff from the garden center so of course we came home with a few fun things. Anyone ID the one on the right? It's just tagged 'cactus'

It's an Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubrispinus, commonly known as the Rainbow Cactus.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Alright so my English Ivy plant is still struggling, and I gave her a thorough check the other day and the spider mites are still there! :kingsley:

I think I may have been applying the neem oil improperly; I was first moving her to my shower and spraying her off then spraying with the neem. I think I should reverse that and let the neem fully dry, is this a better method? I remember someone saying that the neem clogs up the spider mite's mouth or whatever those evil little bugs eat with, so I'm guessing I was really not doing anything to them by applying neem oil to an already wet plant.

I just really want her to get better! :ohdear:

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So ... depends what you want. That's a pretty prime place to plant. That said, the grass is very much in the way, and I'd imagine there's a landscaping person or crew that goes around and mows it.

One trick you can do (but will have to be patient about) would be to put some spring bulbs under the sod. (ie lift it and put it back). You'd have to do this in the autumn, but it can be pretty effective, especially if you plant things like snowdrops or crocuses that come out before the lawn's started growing enough to need mowing. If you're set on doing this guerilla-style, that would be what I'd do.

https://www.wikihow.com/Plant-Bulbs-in-Grass

You could also try putting in wildflowers, but a) they'd be fighting with the grass, b) they'd get mown down pretty regularly, and c) it's possible they spray that grass with something that kills off broadleaf plants. (If they spray, it'd likely kill of the bulbs too, but you'd at least be able to get in a round of blooms first.)

Have you thought about talking to the estate manager about just digging in a flower bed there and maintaining it yourself? If you go that route, you'd want to dig it properly (ie loosen the soil down two feet and throw in some compost), but then you could go hog wild with cheap six-packs of plants, bulbs, etc.

That is all pretty useful stuff!

And I never actually considered speaking to the estate manager; I'll see where it goes.

Thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Alright so my English Ivy plant is still struggling, and I gave her a thorough check the other day and the spider mites are still there! :kingsley:

I think I may have been applying the neem oil improperly; I was first moving her to my shower and spraying her off then spraying with the neem. I think I should reverse that and let the neem fully dry, is this a better method? I remember someone saying that the neem clogs up the spider mite's mouth or whatever those evil little bugs eat with, so I'm guessing I was really not doing anything to them by applying neem oil to an already wet plant.

Instead of spraying the mites off with water and then applying the neem oil, use a high pressure enough sprayer to spray the mites off with your neem oil dilution. That may help the oil stick to the leaves better. When ingested, the oil mucks with the mites' reproductive system, so you want to leave a thin layer of oil on your ivy's leaves. In between applications it doesn't hurt to give the plant a once over ever few weeks. If you spot any mites, get a damp paper towel and wipe them off. This is of course not a permanent fix, but can at least extend the time between neem oil applications.

That all being said, when I bring my outdoor plants inside for the winter I have to spray them at least three times over the course of the cold season. Once they're back outside the wind and natural predators keep mite populations in check, however it seems they're virtually impossible to eradicate entirely. If you only have one plant you might have better luck.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Neem is mixed with water when you spray it on. There's no need to wet the leaves beforehand. I'm not sure if it will make the oil less effective, but it might. You should rinse it off a day later though, if I'm remembering correctly.

One thing to keep in mind with pest control is that treatments like neem only kill adults. A healthy population of mites is going to have eggs on the plant, which will hatch and mature after your neem treatment. So you'll want to do multiple staggered applications to kill new generations as they develop.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Thesaurus_Rex posted:

and tend to keep them a bit pot bound to avoid too much moisture as the whole lot goes on the balcony in growing season.

this is kinda blowing my mind right now, good trick

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea I've been a proponent of Neem for mites, and while it does some work, but I'm a bit discouraged myself. It knocks them down but is impossible to be thorough enough (plus the egg issue) to get them all, so it's mitigation and not eradication.

Stuff is going to go outside soon but maybe next fall I'll try something stronger.

elgarbo posted:

It's an Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubrispinus, commonly known as the Rainbow Cactus.

Sweet, thanks!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

So I was overwatering the hell out of a few of my potted plants. Had to drain the water off and everything.

The tips of some of the leaves have started to go brown, and a few of the smaller flowers are wilting and falling off. Now that the water is drained, will they be able to recover or have I just gone and murdered it?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

As long as they have leaves left (and sometimes even if they don’t) and they don’t have root rot, they’ll probably be fine. Most plants are quite resilient when it comes to overwatering as long as you fix it fairly early. :)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
If I'm not going to be eating it and it's just a potted indoor plant, I'd just get some imidacloprid granules and treat it when I bring it in. You can find it labeled "systemic house plant pesticide" (I think Bondie makes them, among others).

They are extremely low risk to use and apply (they have very low toxicity in mammals -- in fact that's what's in the flea drops that your dog or cat cutaneous absorbs into their system).

The only real danger of neonicinoids is that (since it is systemic) they can find their way into pollen and potentially affect bees foraging from them. If it isn't blooming then there's no risk of that. If it's in a pot then there's no risk of the active ingredients making their way into nearby plants either.

If it's going to be indoors then there's no risk bioaccumulation from organisms consuming the pesticide and then being eaten by predators.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

OscarDiggs posted:

So I was overwatering the hell out of a few of my potted plants. Had to drain the water off and everything.

The tips of some of the leaves have started to go brown, and a few of the smaller flowers are wilting and falling off. Now that the water is drained, will they be able to recover or have I just gone and murdered it?

what kind of plant

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Some young Muscari bulbs.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone have thoughts on planting stuff in unlined brass (or bronze, maybe) containers? They're some cheap ones I got in a yard sale, so I'm not concerned about the metal itself, but plant health.

Only thing I can find is potential to burn roots from heat/conductivity, which would not be a problem inside.

Nosre fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 2, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How come my snake house plants are invincible but my two dragon tail house plants died within 4 months.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like plants

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
One of these you can get away with throwing in a closet and watering every 6 weeks and the other you can’t.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 3, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nosre posted:

Anyone have thoughts on planting stuff in unlined brass (or bronze, maybe) containers? They're some cheap ones I got in a yard sale, so I'm not concerned about the metal itself, but plant health.

Only thing I can find is potential to burn roots from heat/conductivity, which would not be a problem inside.

I don't know if it'll cause any harm but you could line the inside of the pot with some spray sealer or something similar?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A couple of years ago I had to replace my copper hot water tank. I couldn't be bothered to take it to a metal recyclers so the two halves are now used as containers in the garden. I just used a bunch of overlapping unopened bin bags to line the sides/bottom. The plants seem happy so far.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone here have experience in reviving a rubber plant? Ours started losing leaves rapidly and now has none and we're not sure if we should just try to cut off the remaining green parts and try to root them or keep hoping spring might encourage new growth

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Howdy Grow Goons, I need some help with plant identification. I bought my wife a matching set of little potted plants, but I don't know what type they are. Can anyone recognize these little guys? I want to figure out what we have so I can look up how to care for them properly.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

stop watering them, put them where they will get sunlight but not by cold drafty windows. left looks like a type of aloe, right looks like an aeonium

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shame Boner posted:

I think it's cool as long as you aren't, say, broadcasting mustard seed in someone's lawn just to be a jerk. That said, I'd love to see developed a glyphosate-immune strain of mustard that conquers all golf courses.

I've never worked on a golf course but I assume they could just use a a broadleaf selective herbicide if this happened.

Also, looking up GMO turf grasses I didn't realize that Scott's really messed up and Round Up Ready bentgrass escaped in in the Pacific Northwest during testing.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2017/01/grass_seed_industry_fearful_ab.html

quote:

On two occasions in August 2003, hot afternoon winds whipped through the fields north of Madras, scattering the modified seed seed for miles, including into the Crooked River National Grasslands. Signs of the altered grass were found 13 miles away from the test fields, according to federal documents.

The timing couldn't have been worse for Scotts. It had sought the blessing of the U.S. Department of Agriculture just the year before to sell the altered seed commercially.

It was an extraordinary request. Scotts' grass was one of the first genetically modified perennials. Unlike annual food crops, perennials typically survive the cold months and can expand via its seeds and the shoots it sends out. Its tiny seed is easily propelled by wind, water and hungry birds.

In 2007, the agriculture department fined Scotts $500,000 for allowing the escape and held Scotts responsible for controlling and eradicating the engineered grass.
The runaways weren't Scotts' only problem. U.S. Fish and Wildlife determined that commercialization of the modified grass could actually "jeopardize the continued existence" of two endangered plant species and would "adversely modify" critical habitat of other endangered species, including Fender's Blue Butterfly, found only in the Willamette Valley.

There were other unexpected developments. Scientists from Oregon State University and the Environmental Protection Agency found that the modified grass had crossed with feral grasses, passing along its Roundup resistance.

They sell Round Up Ready St. Augustine varieties now, so I guess they got over that.
https://bethelfarms.com/product/provista-sod/

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

I've never worked on a golf course but I assume they could just use a a broadleaf selective herbicide if this happened.

Also, looking up GMO turf grasses I didn't realize that Scott's really messed up and Round Up Ready bentgrass escaped in in the Pacific Northwest during testing.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2017/01/grass_seed_industry_fearful_ab.html

They sell Round Up Ready St. Augustine varieties now, so I guess they got over that.
https://bethelfarms.com/product/provista-sod/

Apparently they found that if they mechanically implant the foreign genetic material into the plants, then through the magic of legal loopholes it no longer needs to be regulated by the USDA. :shepface:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2016/07/06/inside-scotts-miracle-gros-plan-for-gmo-grass/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Plantthread, I have some succulents that I inherited from my mother when she was moving and I'm afraid I might be murdering them. This distresses me, as they are my only friends and I don't want to be a murderer.

This is what they looked like when I got them:

Plant #1, aka Leggy

Plant #2, aka Big Boy

Both of them:

So, cut to now. Leggy has been progressively losing leaves all along her... leggy bits, and the one bit that's all hangy-down and coming back up is getting a little yellowish. The stem/stank in this area feels maybe a little soft, but it's hard to tell because the everywhere I feel has the same texture so maybe it's not.

Big Boy seems... Ok? His leaves are a little wrinkly but I feel like if I water him more, it's going to be too much.

Over the winter I watered both of these guys a little less than I would have normally, because as I understood it, succulents have a bit of a dormant cycle when it's colder, and my office doesn't have central heat so they are experiencing some chill at night but nothing too drastic. Otherwise I water them about every 5-7 days, just whenever the soil feels dry when I stick my finger in it. Obviously Big Boy gets more water than Leggy, but I'm not really giving either of them what I would consider an excessive amount. Water never comes out of the bottom of the pots, etc. The window is south facing, so they get pretty good afternoon and evening direct sunlight.

Goons help, am I killing Leggy? How can I save her? Would it be safe for me to just snip the "good" ends off of those long, now leafless bits and attempt to root them? I'm worried about these dumb plants like they're a pet and I feel stupid that I can't even manage this.

Bonus picture: I made a little cutting from each of them and am attempting to get them to grow. It's been about a week now and... They aren't dead yet?

Also... Forgive the state of my window area - the only space I had to put them was a shelf that was my catch-all 'here are all the cool bones and stuff I've collected' space, and dusting is not my strong point.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 5, 2019