Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Predator is so good because they had the second unit director shoot the first action scene so it looks like a typical Arnie action flick and then BOOM you're in the best loving slasher movie of the 80's with skinned people hanging from trees, CONTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACT and Billy standing on a log carving his chest with what's basically a sword

it's really good

e- and it has the best score, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnAxydhZ8M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Predator is so good because they had the second unit director shoot the first action scene so it looks like a typical Arnie action flick and then BOOM you're in the best loving slasher movie of the 80's with skinned people hanging from trees, CONTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACT and Billy standing on a log carving his chest with what's basically a sword

it's really good

e- and it has the best score, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnAxydhZ8M

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We used to quote Hudson all the time when I worked a warehouse job.

Like a truck would come in and somebody would say, “hey can you guys grab a couple of pallet jacks and unload this shipment?”

and we would hilariously reply, “oh yeah sure! With those things running around out there? You can count me out”

everyone in the company recognized how funny it was that we were quoting a movie!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aliens 3 was decent since it had Tywin in Space and was able to maintain the visual consistency of the previous movies.

I guess it was sort the failure at going in a new direction while the previous movies did this much better.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Grape posted:

So poorly remembered that they only based an entire Starcraft unit around her.

They based a few of things around Aliens in Starcraft. One being the "Cold Fusion" cutscene where they are setting the nuke up and then the Zerg start attacking them from all angles. You can just get a sense that they picked up some stuff from Aliens.

I also believe that Brood War took some stuff from Starship Troopers. More of the big Zerg (bugs) cutscenes where they're fighting a huge army that's just rushing over them.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Aliens is awesome. Now, Aliens based video games.... Not so much.

There were some decent AvP games. Aliens vs Predator 2010 version wasn't too bad. I always hate playing the Marine though because poo poo is scary as gently caress. You can't see anything, the Predator can kill you from the other side of the map, and the xenomorph can come at you from any angle, and with friends.

Actually I enjoyed Colonial Marines. I waited a few years so they could get the bugs out but the story wasn't too bad. I have Alien: Isolation but, and I'm being dead serious here, I'm too afraid to play it.

The first AvP game that came out was loving amazing to my teenage self. My friend and I were playing it for the first time. Well it was me and him standing over my shoulder. You start out in an APC. Once you take a step outside.... beep.............. beep.............. beep........ uh oh, I'm getting scared. Beep....... beep........ beep..... poo poo. Beep.... beep.... beep..... ok what do I do now where are they? beep beep beep beep beep.....

I pointed my pulse rifle at the ground and set off a grenade. gently caress that poo poo. It was his turn.

That was also one of the first "survival" games to exist. My friend and I would do multiplayer, just him and I, and we'd do the bunker map and wave after wave of aliens come at you. Get myself a Smart Gun and go to loving town until the inevitable happens and they overrun us and take us down like Hudson in a blaze of fire.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 3, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Where's Dietrich?!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone have experience with Alien: Isolation? Is it possible for a gigantic pussy to get through it without upping my dose of a bunch of klonopin?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The first AvP game that came out was loving amazing to my teenage self. My friend and I were playing it for the first time. Well it was me and him standing over my shoulder. You start out in an APC. Once you take a step outside.... beep.............. beep.............. beep........ uh oh, I'm getting scared. Beep....... beep........ beep..... poo poo. Beep.... beep.... beep..... ok what do I do now where are they? beep beep beep beep beep.....

I remember playing the marine demo back in the day again and again. Was pretty replayable since the game uses random enemy placement which made the encounter somewhat unpredictable.

Remember the facehugger insta-kill animation?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

etalian posted:

I remember playing the marine demo back in the day again and again. Was pretty replayable since the game uses random enemy placement which made the encounter somewhat unpredictable.

Remember the facehugger insta-kill animation?

gently caress.... facehuggers.... forever.

They're super tiny, fast, and can jump anywhere. If there was one in the room you just start emptying mags left and right while holding the back button down. Fire was the best way to deal with them. Just fill the whole god drat room with fire.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gently caress.... facehuggers.... forever.

They're super tiny, fast, and can jump anywhere. If there was one in the room you just start emptying mags left and right while holding the back button down. Fire was the best way to deal with them. Just fill the whole god drat room with fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LkpyWWI8TY

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh poo poo, I didn't know there was a 1994 3D version. I was thinking of the 1999 version.

edit: nm it's in there

edit 2: oh... I see. So literally everyone who designed a facehugger in any Alien game is a loving dick.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 3, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Avp (2010) was also somewhat decent.

Colonial Marines on PC was greatly improved by the mod scene which fixed the graphic issues and many of the AI problems.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Genesplicer posted:

The fun part about the Sassy Latina, Vasquez, was that the actress, Jenette Goldstien, was a favorite of Cameron's. She played Vasquez in "Aliens", Janelle, John Connor's foster mother in "Terminator 2", and the Irish mother with the small children in "Titanic".

Also the joke they make about her thinking they meant illegal aliens was real. She auditioned for the movie thinking it was about illegal aliens.

quote:

I had seen Alien, but I had no idea this was a sequel. It had been so long ago, it didn’t even occur to me. I thought it was about actual aliens, you know, immigrants to a country. I was wondering why they wanted Americans. I figured the movie was about lots of different immigrants to England.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 3, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oxballs, have you ever been mistaken for a good poster?

etalian posted:

Avp (2010) was also somewhat decent.

Colonial Marines on PC was greatly improved by the mod scene which fixed the graphic issues and many of the AI problems.

Yeah I think my favorite modern AvP game is the 2010 version. I might have to play it again.

I'm still trying to work up the balls to play Isolation. I might have to get really drunk or something, but I doubt that would help. I heard the game is fantastic.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

quote:

Goldstein had studied acting in California and New York, but while in New York, she met and fell in love with a British man. They got married and settled in England, where Goldstein attended drama school. Three years later, she had done a number of different theater (or should I say theatre) production in England, but did not have an agent. In a local trade, she saw the following notice, "Genuine American actors, British Equity, for feature film Aliens, 20th Century Fox."

Since Goldstein didn't have an agent, that was all the information that she had to go on. While she had seen the film "Alien," she did not know that they were doing a sequel, so she figured that it was for a film about immigration. She told Starlog:

quote:

“I had seen Alien, but I had no idea this was a sequel. It had been so long ago, it didn’t even occur to me. I thought it was about actual aliens, you know, immigrants to a country. I was wondering why they wanted Americans. I figured the movie was about lots of different immigrants to England.”

So she showed up at the audition wearing "high heels and lots of makeup, and I had waist-length hair." She figured out that something was way off when everyone else was wearing army fatigues. It was when she went in read and saw posters for "The Terminator" that she knew that she was really in trouble. In a brilliant twist of fate, though, the nice blouse that she was wearing happened to be sleeveless, which showed off Goldstein's arms. She had taken up bodybuilding recently and it showed in her arms.

She later recalled, "'She said, ‘Are you an actress or a bodybuilder?’” Goldstein laughs. “I was a gymnast. I just happened to be in the best shape of my life.'"

So they agreed to see her again, only this time she wore army boots and pulled her hair back and everything and eventually, she got the role.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's fair.

But the question still stands.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Also the joke they make about her thinking they meant illegal aliens was real. She auditioned for the movie thinking it was about illegal aliens.

Lmfao what? What was the tip off

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.adultswim.com/videos/soft-focus-with-jena-friedman/soft-focus-with-jena-friedman

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm still trying to work up the balls to play Isolation. I might have to get really drunk or something, but I doubt that would help. I heard the game is fantastic.

Well it's more a survival horror type game similar to Soma especially since you have limited weapons and the gadgets only serve to drive off/distract the Alien.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You might really like it. I didn't get spooked by the alien though, and it just seemed really tedious. I wanted to explore but : climbs into cupboard again for two minutes :

People usually really like it though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 3, 2019

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The interlude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwgg1Pu6cNg

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You might really like it. I didn't get spooked by the alien though, and it just seemed really tedious. I just wanted to explore but : climbs into cupboard again for two minutes :

People usually really like it though.

It's one of those games in which i could appreciate things like visual/sound design but never actually finished since playing hide&seek for the nth level got pretty annoying.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

etalian posted:

It's one of those games in which i could appreciate things like visual/sound design but never actually finished since playing hide&seek for the nth level got pretty annoying.

Same. Looked and sounded fantastic, the inside of lockers lovingly rendered.

Bet it's fully redeemed in vr.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 3, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^ edit: VR.... I'd probably have a gun on hand to shoot myself just in case

Yeah survival games are definitely not my thing. I don't like tension at all unless it's in small doses. I just heard it was good and it's closer to Alien than Aliens so I figured it was an interesting change.

I'm just a big weenie and am literally afraid to play a game.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
No. Have you?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I still insist that the best Aliens game ever made is Space Station 13 Colonial Marines, but you have to be kind of broke-brain to like SS13 in the first place so I guess that's a niche opinion

Alien Isolation is the best Alien game, no contest.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Is there a mod for Isolation that removes the alien? Or makes it not hostile? SOMA is one of my most favorite of games and there is a mod like that for that game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I played the ps3 version, flinching at movement and spamming a m41a pulse rifle like at a madman with accurate sound was a lot of fun.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A bit late but I'll accept it. :golfclap:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

etalian posted:

Yeah exactly. It really nails the Alien aesthetic, all the visuals and sounds are just perfect, but it's a torturous game to play. I got stuck hiding in a locker for at least 5 minutes once pretty early on, waiting for the Alien to go away, and as soon as I opened the door and moved about 2 inches it reappeared and hosed my poo poo up. Realised quite quickly after that whilst I was loving the nostalgia from the familiar sounds etc I wasn't enjoying myself at all playing it.

It is an excessively long game too, which makes the endless hide and seek premise really grate.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm thinking I might reinstall AvP 2010 and give that a run through. I always love being the alien. Yeah, I'm the baddie so it's less scary, but then again if someone breathes too heavily on me I burst into acid.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The AvP side-scrolling beat-em-up arcade game is one of the few that I ever actually beat in the arcade

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The AvP side-scrolling beat-em-up arcade game is one of the few that I ever actually beat in the arcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh379aH2mFw

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Imagine if they'd forseen e-cigs and had all the characters smoke them instead of proper cigarettes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Aliens was my favorite movie as a kid and I think it still might be my favorite movie today.

One time I stepped on an alien action figure and it pierced halfway through my foot. Just as deadly in inanimate plastic form.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Where's Dietrich?!

Everyone I’ve shown the movie to for the first time doesn’t spot that xeno until it moves and it’s great.

There’s no special effects or trickery or anything, it just blends in really well until it’s time to strike.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Everyone I’ve shown the movie to for the first time doesn’t spot that xeno until it moves and it’s great.

There’s no special effects or trickery or anything, it just blends in really well until it’s time to strike.

I believe the set/alien designs were all based after H R Giger's original Alien poo poo and it was just so organic and awesome. Right when they enter the "nest" it turns into Giger world.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I believe the set/alien designs were all based after H R Giger's original Alien poo poo and it was just so organic and awesome. Right when they enter the "nest" it turns into Giger world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koxkg7C216c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Pretty sure the dropship pilot in Starcraft has tons of lines takem directly from Aliens.