Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Local credit union is probably your best bet. Are they withholding taxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, company I work for withholds taxes, filled out a W2, they've been around since medical started here. They're not going under or playing gently caress-gently caress games.

It's a black market drug money concern and banks/CUs are hesitant to touch any of it. They don't want to have to deal with feds/local LE, so they leave marijuana workers holding cash regardless of legitimacy.

Also a good idea to have a counterfeit detection pen to check your pay.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 2, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
realistically they just need to hold out until a democratic administration

i highly doubt it'll be legal federal then, but at least there's a high probability that they'll tell feds to back off when it's legal in the state

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's the way things were going before Trump and team took office and Sessions went on the offensive against the industry, and probably would have been in a better place by now with Hilldog instead.

There's a handful of stores around that are run by absolute cocks who won't take your money if their employees smell weed on you. Part of a larger chain. It's not wise to wear a work badge outside of work, since it's well known we're paid in cash and wearing it anywhere else makes you a target. Ups and downs of the job though, and no one fucks with a guy with a huge, unkempt beard.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 2, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Do you have to tell banks where you work to open an account? Also, depositing cash isn't a problem as long as it isn't over 9,999 dollars at a time (which I think is the amount where they have to ask questions).

If you're flush with cash just pay for an hour of a financial lawyer's time and have him tell you exactly how to legally get your cash into a bank account.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
E: Nevermind.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You don't have to tell them where you work, no, but if you walk in the bank smelling like a dispensary (literally every workday since I harvest/trim), they'll refuse to process your transaction.

Now that I think about it, I could probably just deposit cash at the ATM. No human interaction required.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You don't have to tell them where you work, no, but if you walk in the bank smelling like a dispensary (literally every workday since I harvest/trim), they'll refuse to process your transaction.

Now that I think about it, I could probably just deposit cash at the ATM. No human interaction required.

You could also just use the drive through.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. I've literally only been to the credit union I opened an account here once, to open it. I just don't mind having a modest amount of cash on hand.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
You could go full blown cartel and hire a middleman. Some yuppie in chinos takes your cash, deposits it at Wells Fargo or wherever, and kicks it back to you piecemeal for 5%.

But, money laundering, federal offense, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Invest in meth.

E: or bitcoin

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Thought about that, haven't asked the credit union about it yet, need to go in on a day off from work. I try to wear my least pot smelling clothes when I have to go into the lobby or deal with anybody.

The banks here really, really don't like dealing with weed workers.

I really don't have a lot of cash on hand. If I can pay cash for anything, I do. Gas, cigarettes, etc. Keeps me from spending money in the savings left over from VA checks. Most of my money is still in a bank.

I thought CO had credit unions that handled this specifically? Banks are still nervous about it, but apparently it's to the point where at least one was able to open a deposit account at the federal reserve.

https://www.westword.com/marijuana/colorado-marijuana-credit-union-granted-conditional-account-by-federal-reserve-bank-9969837

e: Could probably buy a bunch of T bonds to effectively function as a savings account, too.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Meanwhile in CA, my dispensary takes cash, plastic, paypal, and venmo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

Meanwhile in CA, my dispensary takes cash, plastic, paypal, and venmo.

But not bitcoin?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The dispensary I go to in WA takes Bitcoin

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

in CT my dispensary takes cash or plastic

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

CURRENCY OF THE FUTUR

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BigDave posted:

But not bitcoin?

That's currency of preference for importing seeds but we won't talk about that here

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Netflix documentaries Losers is pretty cool

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BigDave posted:

You could go full blown cartel and hire a middleman. Some yuppie in chinos takes your cash, deposits it at Wells Fargo or wherever, and kicks it back to you piecemeal for 5%.

But, money laundering, federal offense, etc.

Or just hire a courier/Armored truck service

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

I thought CO had credit unions that handled this specifically? Banks are still nervous about it, but apparently it's to the point where at least one was able to open a deposit account at the federal reserve.

https://www.westword.com/marijuana/colorado-marijuana-credit-union-granted-conditional-account-by-federal-reserve-bank-9969837

e: Could probably buy a bunch of T bonds to effectively function as a savings account, too.

I had heard rumor of such places, haven't taken the time to confirm it and find one. Just hasn't been high on my priority list.

If I was going to change my money to something annoying to deal with, it would be silver next time it hits $10/oz.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Never go buttcoin

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Goddamnit, I can just not help myself when I'm visiting family. Ended up arguing over politics with my goddamn uncle until almost midnight last night while drinking heavily, like literally every time I visit them. Except we ended up killing off a whole bottle of Maker's Mark between the two of us in a roughly three hour period, which is roughly five times what I'm normally used to. Barely kept it together in my Uber, made it home, passed out fully clothed on my bed for an hour. Woke up, took a shower and absolutely exploded my goddamn toilet. Now I've got an insane hangover.

I absolutely should know better but when he's telling me to make sure I only date a white christian girl it's like a goddamn boxing bell goes off.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just knock him out

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Pour one out for Mr. Coffee, who today goes to the great big bean field in the sky. :smith:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Just knock him out

Really, it's for the best.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
probably

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Yeah, sounds like a guy who could use a solid rear end beating.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

Pour one out for Mr. Coffee, who today goes to the great big bean field in the sky. :smith:

:rip: Mr. Coffee, you are an indispensable member of my family

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Naked Bear posted:

Jesus man I'm so sorry

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
just loving lol that you subject yourself to that

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

just loving lol that you subject yourself to that

look dude when it's 6 AM and i want 12 cups of coffee RIGHT NOW your rear end can go gently caress with a moka pot while i sip an okay tasting vehicle for caffeine

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think he was referring to dumbshit family members

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

You can cram your aeropress right up your urethea, I start work at 530 and McDonald's coffee will work just fine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I usually hit McDonalds on the way to work for coffee. I realized that it's only a difference of single-digit dollars per month vs making it myself at home and frankly theirs is better most of the time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My favorite piece of boomer wisdom is that people are only poor because they’re buying coffee every day

Next they’ll be buying fridges

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Steal your share of the 30 trillion in wealth the boomers have ferreted away by any means necessary

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
goddamnit poo poo i just took an hour long nap

still feel like death warmed over holy loving poo poo

anyway i argue with my uncle so much because i basically have three family members left - my mom, my uncle, and my aunt so i'm basically stuck with it unless i wanted to cut everyone out forever

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Coffee makers of any sort are completely fine. Waking up is a chore already so being able to hit a button or if you're a noble, just hit your fancy "timer" thing which makes it for you before you go off to your job.

Days when time isn't a factor and can enjoy a nice cup of coffee, grinding your own beans and doing a pour over/fancy aeropress or whatever you have is the only way to go.

Or just be like me and have your local hipster make you something listening to super lovely local music in the city boutique coffee shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I usually get up at 4:30 in the morning to have some chill time for my morning routine, a TV show or two while making breakfast and then I head off to work at 5:45.

Once I got a coffee pad machine again in my new apartment, I initially got back to my old routine of having a cup before breakfast, but I noticed I didn't really "need" it, so I usually just have one when I slept like poo poo. The capsule espresso maker that was part of the equipment in my old apartment made some bitching-rear end espresso, but the amount of waste those capsule machines generate is beyond insane. The extra cost for each individual cup isn't a big deal to me, but seriously, the amount of trash on those things, Jesus.

The upside of pad machines is that you can buy these reusable coffee compartments where you can just cram in powdered coffee, so I'm thinking of getting a coffee grinder down the line.