Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

garfield hentai posted:

I have a Mac at work now and the keyboard they gave me is a piece of poo poo that has the page up key RIGHT next to the enter key and i keep hitting it accidentally all the time and I hate it. What's the good Mac keyboard to get I don't really care much as long as it's pretty good and doesn't have the loving PAGEUP KEY RIGHT NEXT TO THE ENTER KEY

Matias Quiet Click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Meldonox posted:

Is there a particularly good switch or keyboard type for someone who types really hard?

Cherry MX Clear or Zealios 78g I guess.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Meldonox posted:

Is there a particularly good switch or keyboard type for someone who types really hard?

Cherry Browns?

Comedy answer: a Wooting set so that it activates at a minimal activation point but doesn't do anything if you slam it home :v:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Now I'm thinking about getting this red switch keyboard instead because it's TKL:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HQM71L?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=EP9X986M3EDWS6DN9YMF'

mewse
May 2, 2006

The new redragon is fuckin sick. I'm in the process of swapping the switches to my outemu silent ice

Randomfrankp on youtube loves this board fwiw

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

mewse posted:

The new redragon is fuckin sick. I'm in the process of swapping the switches to my outemu silent ice

Are you talking about the full-size one with the red switches? I'm trying to decide between that one and the Tecware one.

mewse
May 2, 2006

spasticColon posted:

Are you talking about the full-size one with the red switches? I'm trying to decide between that one and the Tecware one.

It checks all the boxes for me. I don't like keyboards with the exposed plate like the GMMK, they feel cheap to me. I have a previous full size redragon (the vara) that I modded with gateron silent browns and my primary complaint with it is the exposed plate on the inside.

I love that it uses red LEDs for the indicator lights, blue feels cheap to me.

So like the previous one, it's incredibly sturdy. Probably more sturdy than the phantom.

The RGB animations are smooth like the GMMK and not janky like my e-element z-88.

If you want TKL and don't mind the "floating key" design the phantom is probably fine. This new redragon is awesome tho. I'm in the middle of modding it but here's pics:

Those LEDs are on the top of the pcb so they need SMD compatible switches. The top case just clips on, need a pry tool to pop it off

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The Redragon must be pretty popular because it keeps going on back-order. I don't plan on modding or swapping out the switches on my keyboard I just want a keyboard with red switches for gaming and typing. I might wait and see if Redragon releases a TKL version of their red switch keyboard.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Just want to chime in for my strong reccomendation for the Logitech K780

I strongly recommend this device as a versatile wireless typing device, and especially as a workflow tool for digital content creators and artists.

In my case, I am an animator who uses a large Cintiq I pull over my lap using an Ergotron LX arm.

The way I mostly use it I put the keyboard in my lap when I work and hit shortcuts while I draw with my other hand.

It comes with its own wireless usb dongle in case you don't have bluetooth on your PC, and it can also be also paired with up to 3 bluetooth devices - which you switch between with a button press.

It doesn't require a recharge - it just uses some ordinary batteries. Its battery lifespan is extremely long even with constant use - like, many many many months. The device will let you know with a red light if it needs new batteries too. (Also, I have had mine for close to half a year now, and haven't had to replace the batteries yet.)

The typing feel and key travel time is excellent - and the rounded flat-keys actually make for a very good typing experience. The keyboard is responsive and has a great feel overall, and a nice build quality. It feels like a solid, professional device.

^^^^
The only 'downside' I can think of is that you might not like the little barrier for holding tablets or smartphones on the top of the keyboard if you don't really use it.

But in my case, I keep my smartphone on it, and can respond to emails or text messages quickly without breaking my workflow much. If I get an ipad pro, the device will pair very nicely with it.

I also put my cintiq pen on there when I'm typing when both hands - it helps to keep it from rolling away or me having to reach out to put it somewhere on my desk or in its wacom stand.

The stand itself holds smartphones and tablets firmly in place, but the way. To the point that it feels like a weird anti-gravity kind of effect with how solidly situated they are. In spite of tilting the keyboard around like crazy, I have not had a single incident of my smartphone falling out of my keyboard stand area since I got this device many months ago.

Alternatives to this keyboard would be wireless keyboards that are more lightweight than even this one. But I find it fits everything I need it to do for me perfectly. It's also not backlit though that isn't an issue for me at all, really.

Logitech lists the keyboard as going for 80 bucks but you can normally find it for 50-60 bucks if you poke around online. Extremely well-worth it.

Also, this keyboard is functionally similar to the much-more-expensive Logitech Craft. All that keyboard has going for it though over this one is a dial that you probably won't use very much anyway. (And if you really want a dial, there are better and more versatile options that aren't attached to keyboards.) This keyboard is pretty much the experience of the logitech craft, minus the dial.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 4, 2019

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Any gamers have examples of times they've been using a 60% and regretted not having at least TKL? Wondering if Mini would work for me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

mewse posted:

Randomfrankp is a rube.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

mewse posted:

ewww

KingKapalone posted:

Any gamers have examples of times they've been using a 60% and regretted not having at least TKL? Wondering if Mini would work for me.

For FPS, can't really think of any. Maybe switching vehicles in Battlefield (f-keys), but they're easy enough to hit with one hand if you have Caps Lock set as a function modifier. Arma has a bunch of poo poo mapped to the keypad I guess. Having the mouse in a much more natural position with a large mousepad outweighs any con, really.

If you really need to hit a bunch of f-keys a bunch of times like in an MMO, then maybe you'd want a TKL at least.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

For gaming a 60% hasn't given me any issues, but day-to-day it's just different enough to be annoying. The keys aren't quite where my fingers expect them to be.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Only because I completely broke a hand on a truck door while biking to work. Fn shortcuts were annoying.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
The only time it's ever bothered me is 5 man healing in WoW, where on easy stuff I'll play one handed and target with F1-F5 while I stuff my fat face with greasy food with my mouse hand. Having to function key to target is a little disorienting for me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Only because I completely broke a hand on a truck door while biking to work. Fn shortcuts were annoying.

Ports where they need arrow keys to navigate menus.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks for the info. So overall do you regret the Minis? Do you have multiple keyboards you switch between depending on what you're doing? This would be my only keyboard if I got a Mini.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 5, 2019

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for the info. So overall do you regret the Minis? Do you have multiple keyboards you switch between depending on what you're doing? This would be my only keyboard if I got a Mini.

If you have to ask, you'll probably be fine with a 60%. I couldn't adjust to my 40% boards for coding (need all the symbols regularly) but the 60% had no adjustment period. The F keys being on a macro is not unlike my laptop, since it uses the F keys for brightness, volume, etc. I switch boards often just cause I'm a keeb weeb, but my TADA68 is a fine daily driver.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
If you already use the F keys for whatever you play (my case is dota where F keys are extremely useful and part of default controls), get a board with F keys. I tried for a long time with the whitefox and it just sucks in comparison. Which is too bad because I love typing on that board

Having to press two keys to do something that could require one is silly, especially forcing yourself to do so for aesthetic reasons (I guess? idk why else people want tiny hamstrung keyboards)

That being said, do whatever you want, I obviously do not know how seriously you take your games so this may be moot to you

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I mainly play single player FPSes and 3rd-person action games, so the 60% size generally works fine for me. I have a wonky split-spacebar layout with Fn in the middle for my thumb, and I've bound some left-hand letter keys to the arrow keys on the function layer, so I have no trouble with some ports there.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

emdash posted:

If you already use the F keys for whatever you play (my case is dota where F keys are extremely useful and part of default controls), get a board with F keys. I tried for a long time with the whitefox and it just sucks in comparison. Which is too bad because I love typing on that board

Having to press two keys to do something that could require one is silly, especially forcing yourself to do so for aesthetic reasons (I guess? idk why else people want tiny hamstrung keyboards)

That being said, do whatever you want, I obviously do not know how seriously you take your games so this may be moot to you

Interesting. I used to play dota a ton, but can't remember if I used F keys. I also never used F keys in WoW like some of the above posters said, but that just sounded like healers. I don't think there are any quick uses of them now in games I'm playing.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
SC2 also uses it for camera hotkeys but that's probably a niche use. I had a 60% and I went up to a 65% because I was working at home a lot more and my job requires a decent amount of document editing, so not having the arrow keys was really annoying on certain days.

Also I'll be in Taiwan in a month or do, is it worth it to check out keyboards there or potentially buy one for cheaper than I could get in the US?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm designing real, proper cases for my Stand Aside boards now. And I'll be able to get together a proper online store and everything.

There will, of course, be a Goon discount for anyone who's interested. I'll post about the prototyping process when I do more than just math.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm designing real, proper cases for my Stand Aside boards now. And I'll be able to get together a proper online store and everything.

There will, of course, be a Goon discount for anyone who's interested. I'll post about the prototyping process when I do more than just math.

Are those the 4x16 ortho boards you've posted about?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Exit Strategy posted:

:justpost:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

KingKapalone posted:

I don't regret it at all, but I will admit I rarely use it for actual gaming. My 60% is my keyboard for when I'm mobile or at work. It lives in my backpack with my laptop. At home I use a TKL. But, that said, I've definitely gamed on the 60% enough to feel comfortable with it outside of the one specific situation I called out.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

The thing that threw me the most going from full to 60% was losing the tilde key to esc while gaming. I never used f-row keys on a full size keyboard though, and i only really missed the key in Wow with all its crazy keybinds. I also fat fingered esc when trying tk press 1 sometimes, but that only lasted a week or two

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Decided on the Ducky One 2 Mini. My indecision from Tuesday to Wednesday cost me an instock delay from 3/13 to 4/4 though. I guess this thing got really popular because of fortnite players.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

mrking posted:

The thing that threw me the most going from full to 60% was losing the tilde key to esc while gaming. I never used f-row keys on a full size keyboard though, and i only really missed the key in Wow with all its crazy keybinds. I also fat fingered esc when trying tk press 1 sometimes, but that only lasted a week or two

Yeah, tilde was the big one for me - harder to access console commands.

As other people have mentioned, the only other thing was camera keys etc on fn. I also have a 65% not 60, so I still have arrows but honestly I'm not sure I'd really miss them.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

mrking posted:

If you have a tmk/qmk board you can just have it function as tilde on tap and esc on hold, it's even already programmed in as a key.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I was googling for thock.jpg for some reason, found this and had to share it with you

mewse
May 2, 2006

Selklubber posted:

I was googling for thock.jpg for some reason, found this and had to share it with you

When do we start the "mech keyboards are not a loving personality trait" facebook group

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mewse posted:

When do we start the "mech keyboards are not a loving personality trait" facebook group

Just as soon as people start listing "mech keys" as their sexual orientation.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just as soon as people start listing "mech keys" as their sexual orientation.

"Are you mechanical keyboard or rubber dome?"
Topre: "I'm non-binary"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I picked up a Motospeed board for cheap because I didn't know if this money sink hobby was for me.

UHHHHH
I'm in love. The feel. The sound.
Everything about it.

gently caress I'm gonna be so poor.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has gone around, but this thread would likely appreciate it:

https://twitter.com/Art_Relatable/status/1103470938849390592

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress I'm gonna be so poor.

Stop before it's too late

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The one bit of solace I take is that the one I got is a hot pink rainbow nonsense pile and that's all I really want.

But my partner tried it, fell in love and is researching her own.

Pray for me.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Inzombiac posted:

The one bit of solace I take is that the one I got is a hot pink rainbow nonsense pile and that's all I really want.

But my partner tried it, fell in love and is researching her own.

Pray for me.

You are both lost, embrace the keycaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anyone have strong opinions on ducky boards? I'm thinking about getting this one in silent reds