Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I call this one "The Ecstasy of Fish and Beer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

It turns out if you play on Reader difficulty you can run out of bounds in Volga by going back down the train tracks before the radiation kills you. I found the edge of the world and two t-posing people I don't recognise, only one of whom can be repeatedly stabbed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I call this one "The Ecstasy of Fish and Beer"

That was my second favorite poster in the game next to this. There were a lot of good ones though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

No KO's allowed.

Cheevo description "Complete the TAIGA level without attacking anyone or getting noticed." I understood it to mean no touchy at all.

Also I wonder if that includes people like the guy cooking in the forest or the one in the schoolroom.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

That was my second favorite poster in the game next to this. There were a lot of good ones though.

I must find that. So does the desert level not have beds? I haven’t found one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just to make sure I’m not accidentally driving myself crazy a workbench is the only place to repair the mask right? I’m in the eel tunnels and my mask is 1 hit away from breaking. I’m reloading every time I get a hole because I don’t see anyway to keep going.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If your mask breaks you can put a bandaid over the hole by pressing 'g'.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That would have been a very useful thing to know 15 minutes ago, game!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It was tutorialised in the intro level.
Your mask unavoidably breaks when you're thrown into the pit

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah that was like 2 weeks ago for me and I haven’t needed to do it since.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well despite that little hiccup got through to the end. Got the good ending. Blind kind-of psychic gorillas were neat though it seemed like the psychic part was just so they could whisper creepily. Didn’t seem to react much to cans or me walking on broken glass either but still, neat.

I do miss the bullet economy and more overt supernatural elements the previous games had but Exodus still turned out excellent. Probably because if that I think the end of the game was much stronger than the beginning. The open world levels were fine but when they narrowed things down in Taiga and then even further in the final level it almost feels like a shame we couldn’t have had more game like that. Guess we’ll have to see if the DLC is any good. Can’t say Last Light’s was all that great, with the exception of the scavenging one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have mixed feelings on the bullet economy being gone. I always thought it was conceptually cool but in practice not that fun. It usually just resulted in me not upgrading guns as much as I wanted to.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think it was most useful as a world building/atmosphere thing. In 2033 and Last Light I don’t think I ever had to use military ammo in my gun or worry about not buying things but it made things a bit more unique than they would be otherwise.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
The problem I had with the bullet economy in last light is when you hit the sequence with the people stuck in a bandit attack on the rails there is a merchant who will buy all guns, so if you go out kill all the bandits and sell their guys whilst keeping yours on the floor you walk away with 3k + mgr so you can just face roll the end of the game in ammo that sets things on fire for reasons.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just got the game and I've just finished the tutorial section. So far so good. Feels good to be back in the dead desolate world of Metro (though this game seems to breathe a lot of new life into the setting which is good)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Consoles got a patch today improving on the input lag and load times. It’s actually quite an improvement on Xbox.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

It was tutorialised in the intro level.

I don't think this is true. I played through the game and never had my mask break. I also did the begging twice because of the game crashing on me once I got the train and having to redownload everything again.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

I don't think this is true. I played through the game and never had my mask break. I also did the begging twice because of the game crashing on me once I got the train and having to redownload everything again.

Agreed. I'm missing the mask breaking achievement on Steam.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah actually I have no recollection of my mask breaking and getting told to band-aid it in the initial area either. Maybe there's a relatively easy way to miss it, by avoiding damage or something?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I had my mask break during the tutorial, got the prompt, and never ever had it happen again. Although that’s likely because I clean everything up to 100% whenever I’m at workshops and visit them often.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep I had that in the tutorial as well and the never again.

Is it ok to shoot the pirates in the swamp? I got there at daytime and sneaking around is a huge pain in the rear end.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
My mask breaks a lot but I also forget to take it off.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
It’s criminal there’s not more buzz about this game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

buglord posted:

I had my mask break during the tutorial, got the prompt, and never ever had it happen again. Although that’s likely because I clean everything up to 100% whenever I’m at workshops and visit them often.

Same. It's in the outdoor area right before you find the train parked iirc. I'm almost sure it was unavoidable because I snuck through there without taking damage. I don't remember the context of what breaks your mask though.

Now that I think about it, I actually did have my mask break once in the putrid tunnel and I died because I couldn't remember what button to use to tape it.

ultimateforce posted:

It’s criminal there’s not more buzz about this game.

Agreed. Total Goty contender and barely anyone seems to be talking about it. Even on the forums. I thought it would at least be a goon darling and no one in the general threads even seem to be playing it. I really hope it picks up word of mouth because you can tell so much work and passion went into it. It deserves better.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 5, 2019

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just want to shoot everything and I dislike that there is a morality system in place here. Just let me go full darkside without getting X ending

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep I had that in the tutorial as well and the never again.

Is it ok to shoot the pirates in the swamp? I got there at daytime and sneaking around is a huge pain in the rear end.

That is a really hard area to stealth but no, you can’t shoot the pirates either. They’re just a different faction of the summer camp kids. There’s a campfire on the hill before the swap you can wait at. It’s in a gazebo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I just want to shoot everything and I dislike that there is a morality system in place here. Just let me go full darkside without getting X ending

Then just shoot everything and watch the good ending on Youtube? The bad ending is cooler anyways.

Kibayasu posted:

That is a really hard area to stealth but no, you can’t shoot the pirates either. They’re just a different faction of the summer camp kids. There’s a campfire on the hill before the swap you can wait at. It’s in a gazebo.

You can kill some. I killed about a dozen of them and still got the good ending. But that was before I met the fishing guy that asks you not to, so that might have some impact.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Both endings are good but only one of them is a "Good" ending. If you feel Artyom is on a sociopathic murderfest then go whole hog. The morality system is literally just "Are you a bastard?" system put in place to keep track of how trigger happy you are. I mean normally I will even let bandit assholes live if they beg me to but the Canibals all had to die and I spent every bullet I could to ensure nothing in that base was left alive. Let the game dictate your actions by what you feel not what ending you want. I absolutely spared every single Librarian. They are just hungry critters and I am made of meat.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Some good pics of my two favorite characters in this game.

Also, the grail poster

I just got out of Taiga. The next mission with Miller seems from the beginning that it’s going to be completely bad rear end. I did not like Taiga much though. They give you this rad new weapon and then you can’t really kill anyone but a small handful of bandits. I feel like they should’ve had the swamp area with the boat be bandits instead of pirates, it would’ve made the progression of that level feel much more complex.

There was one specific jump scare in a cave near the main Children’s camp involving a large crawdad hiding in a small pool of water that just about destroyed me. loving hell if you know the one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Feonir posted:

Both endings are good but only one of them is a "Good" ending. If you feel Artyom is on a sociopathic murderfest then go whole hog. The morality system is literally just "Are you a bastard?" system put in place to keep track of how trigger happy you are. I mean normally I will even let bandit assholes live if they beg me to but the Canibals all had to die and I spent every bullet I could to ensure nothing in that base was left alive. Let the game dictate your actions by what you feel not what ending you want. I absolutely spared every single Librarian. They are just hungry critters and I am made of meat.

You aren’t meant to spare those guys in the first place. It’s designed as a shooty setpiece.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just got out of Taiga. The next mission with Miller seems from the beginning that it’s going to be completely bad rear end. I did not like Taiga much though. They give you this rad new weapon and then you can’t really kill anyone but a small handful of bandits. I feel like they should’ve had the swamp area with the boat be bandits instead of pirates, it would’ve made the progression of that level feel much more complex.

The game giving you some of the coolest weapons near the end and not giving you ample chance to use them was frustrating. Made me wish there was a NG+ option so I could actually use the crossbow for a while and fire the(you haven't got this yet) bb railgun more than 10 times.

And indeed the next mission is extremely badass.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The explosive bolts do not explode. I wanted hardcore retropunk Rambo level explosive bolts. Like big dirty boom mangle a whole room.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Finished, got the good ending (which seems easy enough if you follow the explicit "Don't kill these guys" warnings). Peters off a little towards the end with some lousy bosses and an endgame that was "press W for a while to see what happens next" for periods, but I enjoyed it a great deal.

It's the first Metro game I've finished, I always lost interest for one reason or another with the previous ones. I think I just prefer Exodus's STALKER-lite setup broken up by setpieces.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also just finished. Definitely a flawed masterpiece.

gently caress the last boat sequence. Artyom the sewer worm janitor, ugh. Not difficult just annoying and slow.

Also I’m a little mad at getting the shambler and then the good bits for the shambler so dang late in the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Shambler is available as soon as you get to the desert.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You don’t get the 20 round box until the dead city but you can find the 10 round magazine in the desert.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I like manually reloading the open 5 round drum on the Shambler. It looks so cool even though it’s so sloe. I definitely agree about the final sequences, while the last parts in the boat and water were extremely nerve wracking and like nothing I’ve ever seen before, they were a bit too much slime. I was def a janitor of tunnel slug clearing. Then, the institute had about 6 monsters to one-shot with the rail gun and bam you’re done. The good ending was still beautiful.

Some images along the way:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
yeah i didn't like the contrived gameplay structure of the last city at all. but the opening walk through the frozen ruins up top and the opening exploration of its underground metro tunnels--the piecing together of the events--was an incredible experience.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

There was one specific jump scare in a cave near the main Children’s camp involving a large crawdad hiding in a small pool of water that just about destroyed me. loving hell if you know the one.

Ya that one got me good too. Did anyone else (minor taiga spoilers) play guitar for the crazy crippled admiral until he fell asleep? Good guy Artyom can be pretty chill :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I too lulled the admiral with sweet tunes.

Kibayasu posted:

You don’t get the 20 round box until the dead city but you can find the 10 round magazine in the desert.

Ugh, missed the mag in the desert somehow. I actually found it in the dead city, after I had the box.

But I mean yeah you get the shambler early in the desert in crappy form, and by the end of the desert it’s usable, but honestly by then a lot of your fighting is done (I killed the bandits in the forest with the crossbow because obviously that’s what you must do).