Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BiggerBoat posted:

Definitely. That's the one area where the game dropped the ball; allowing you to take or leave items, move poo poo around and otherwise do stuff that affected the B run.

The OG game didn't actually have all that much consequence from the A run to B, it was I think three things total- The Cord, the items in the armory, and the BOW gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BiggerBoat posted:

What's the best/most efficient use of the knives if you're on Xbone?

Carry one around for emergencies and/or neutralizing downed zombies in high-traffic areas. The game's actually pretty good about routinely leaving a new knife somewhere that's either on your way through an area or not that far out of your way, so you shouldn't be afraid to ditch an old or nearly-broken knife with the Discard function so you can pick up a fresh one.

The benefit of the knife is that if you swing it at something with a big enough hit box, it inflicts multiple hits over the course of the swing, so you can get a surprising amount of damage out of it even on console versions. It's half of why the current accepted strategy on G1 is to go after his arm with your knife like there's a prize inside; he moves slowly enough that you can dance around his blind side and saw his arm off with minimal difficulty.

Panzeh posted:

The OG game didn't actually have all that much consequence from the A run to B, it was I think three things total- The Cord, the items in the armory, and the BOW gas.

There weren't that many actual player-determined things that carried over, no, and a lot of the items reset. However, there were distinct elements of the plot that mattered; for example, whoever was in scenario A was always the character to start the train. There were distinctly two playable sides to the story, and this time out, there officially aren't.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

also the room in the lab with 2 fingerprints required

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
https://i.imgur.com/TwUxOIb.mp4

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

jesus loving christ thats horrifying

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Wanderer posted:

Knives...

There weren't that many actual player-determined things that carried over, no, and a lot of the items reset. However, there were distinct elements of the plot that mattered; for example, whoever was in scenario A was always the character to start the train. There were distinctly two playable sides to the story, and this time out, there officially aren't.

Thanks. Gonna give it a shot and try to use it more.

Wanderer posted:

Huh. Been a long time so maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I swear there was more to it; to the point that I recall saying "aw gently caress" when I got to my B run and reminding myself to do/not do x, y, z next time. You're probably right though.

I wish they HAD intertwined the game/AB runs more though, especially since the environment is relatively small so it'd be easy to do I think. Have Leon put out fires (or not) and use cranks and such and that determines if Claire can get through certain areas or has to take a longer route. Make some of the ammo and healing items cross over if you leave them. Have certain bookshelves and obstacles that take extra time but affect the second run or even have more missing keys on the weapons locker that won't work unless you did 2 and 3 on the A scenario.

Do it so the extra poo poo takes more time out of an "A" run but saves time on the "B", leaves or depletes more resources, already unlocks certain doors, safes and lockers (or not) and then have a separate grading system for both scenarios COMBINED that adds them in total. I think that would add another layer to the speed runs, add some strategy, force a few more tough decisions and make the scenarios more of a whole, collective experience. poo poo, you could even do weapons crossovers that allow each character to use any of the weapons depending on what they take or leave. Keys too for that matter. Film, etc.

It would open up several different ways to beat the game I think.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

jesus loving christ thats horrifying

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thomas might be creepy, but that guys playing is the scariest thing of them all. How can you be that bad.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Looks like the ghost survivor is there, and didn't have to download it from the store. So YAY! I'm thoroughly enjoying the game - although I got to the part with Sherry and it seems to be stealth - ugh, I hate stealth in non-stealth games. I'd rather just run around enemies.

Also I am glad there is an actual B game from what I have been reading. I thought Capcom would cheap out and cut it or make it DLC. I don't read much about games I am excited for before I get them because I usually get hyped up and it doesn't live up to expectations (Looking at you Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness!)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

new av?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/67

:smith:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

extremely cool and normal mod but ok

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thomas might be creepy, but that guys playing is the scariest thing of them all. How can you be that bad.

Probably going for footage of Mr. Thomas over pro tier S+.

The original GIF has the Thomas theme which is extra tense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wY1FnQ9ygg&t=15s

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Smirking_Serpent posted:

okay so i've heard from many a goon that Resident Evil 6 has surprisingly deep gameplay but it doesn't explain any of it. Is there somewhere that has a good rundown of what the cool poo poo is?

Lunethex has an LP that explains the systems pretty well if i recall

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:: FEATURES ::

Sherry dies.

lol

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Okay, now where's the mod that puts Leon in a Sir Toppinhat(?) costume. Claire's looked like they were going for 'train conductor'.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

rabidsquid posted:

Lunethex has an LP that explains the systems pretty well if i recall

Not nearly as well as it could have been :(

Smirking_Serpent posted:

okay so i've heard from many a goon that Resident Evil 6 has surprisingly deep gameplay but it doesn't explain any of it. Is there somewhere that has a good rundown of what the cool poo poo is?

It's an incredibly fluid system that is hard to pick up on. I don't really have recommendations for videos that explain it in detail, it's just something you do and and master overtime. I spent a shitload of hours playing the demos of the game before it even came out. I also don't recommend my videos given that they are p. old, but I absolutely recommend playing the game with a controller, otherwise a lot of the stuff just isn't feasible.

What is the cool poo poo:

Sliding, and shooting while sliding, then rolling left or right.
Rolling in the four cardinal directions and unloading on mutated motherfuckers, and being almost untouchable while you do it.
Melee attacks. Melee attacks out the rear end. Counterattacks out the rear end too, when you learn the enemy attack patterns.
Jake's entire Hand-to-Hand 'weapon' has another layer of gameplay mastery to add on top of things.

Generally speaking RE6 is RE4 and RE5 levels of gameplay, you shoot an enemy in the head, the arms, the legs, and you run up and hit the button and badass things tend to happen. Add in the ability to control when you dodge, evade, and having total control over your mobility with sliding and sprinting etc, you do get up to a lot of cool poo poo, it just takes a decent amount of time to learn it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A few things it took me some time to pick up on:

-There are three levels of stun. Hitting certain locations can proc a level 2 stun vs a level 1 stun, but shooting the enemy again will always progress them to the next level. The higher the stun level, the more damaging of a melee attack you can do. You should basically never carry out a “free” (unprompted) melee attack, it’s a waste of stamina.

-When you’re low on stamina, laying on your back will make you recover it much faster. Dive backwards and shoot at some enemies until you’re ready to rock again.

-Enemies carrying weapons are very easy to counter for big AOE damage.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Some dude remixed a bunch of RE save room themes into synth wave tracks, and they work pretty well - especially RE0 and RE1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk9VRE2NTa8

Give us an 80s retrofuturism filter to go with the noir one plz Capcom.
This is a wonderful video. Except the fade-in of RE1's old boxart made me laugh way too much. Boxart Chris never fails to get a good laugh out of me.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I love how her outfit emulates being a conductor as well. Must be a separate mod.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Had a busy day!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In reviewing for my fanfiction I've got another target for expunging, a weird narrative thing I've only seen in Japanese games (particularly Kingdom Hearts): the completely nonsensical, immediately obviously false imitator plot. Chris Redfield is working for Umbrella! You are Vincent Goldman! Ada is some sort of traitor! A. Wesker is back! These things are terrible nonsense pseudo plot twists that are contrived so that they can fool the audience for a split second, or not at all. They're garbage and I'm going to try to work around each and every one of them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

BiggerBoat posted:

Make some of the ammo and healing items cross over if you leave them.

One thing I did like in the remake was that the B characters had access to guns that used a different ammo than the standard handgun, and mostly found ammo for that instead - neatly explaining why the B character had enough ammunition to get through, but the A character didn't take it first. It was useless to them, so they ignored it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Gnoman posted:

One thing I did like in the remake was that the B characters had access to guns that used a different ammo than the standard handgun, and mostly found ammo for that instead - neatly explaining why the B character had enough ammunition to get through, but the A character didn't take it first. It was useless to them, so they ignored it.

that's a loving dope theory and I wish they did more stuff like that for the second scenario

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Now put this to the main theme of The Terminator.

E: finally back online after moving house so I got to download Ghost Survivors and have a mess around. Started with Katherine and that was... An experience. Then went to Kendo and got to the final hallway and got chomped because I was poisoned and couldn't check my health. It's alright stuff. Nothing stellar. No Time To Mourn is a great OST.

Also managed to soft lock myself in the REmake randomizer earlier!

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 4, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want a no-zombie mod in which every zombie is replaced with Leon/Claire/other living person. I guess the variety in them makes this a bit more tedious than it would be in earlier games where there are like 3 different types. Has anyone swapped lickers with anything else?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Replace lickers with sloths

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Surprised that xenomorphs haven't been done yet.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

Now put this to the main theme of The Terminator.

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=g5MTcd1&v=al59FDEV5E0

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Can a new mode be called "Three toed sloth cuddling"?

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

Jimbot posted:

Had a busy day!

Growing up if i needed help with video games, friends would come over and beat a troublesome part for me. Can you come over and give me an S on Leon and Claire so I can have the infinite ammo guns :smith:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Growing up if i needed help with video games, friends would come over and beat a troublesome part for me. Can you come over and give me an S on Leon and Claire so I can have the infinite ammo guns :smith:

If I can send you my saves I would.

Also for my Claire B hardcore speed run, my times were this:
9:00 for getting to parking lot first time
22:00 leaving police station
38:00 getting to labs
47:00 for g3

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Ghost Survivors was a treat. Going to have to watch a video to see how the heck you get those cat ears. I think I fired 3 times as many handgun bullets as the target!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

Ghost Survivors was a treat. Going to have to watch a video to see how the heck you get those cat ears. I think I fired 3 times as many handgun bullets as the target!

I saw that in the records this weekend and scoffed. 60 god drat pistol rounds? That ain't happening.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

I saw that in the records this weekend and scoffed. 60 god drat pistol rounds? That ain't happening.

It can be done but it’s a mix of luck and zero mistakes.

I don’t have the time or patience anymore for it I guess :sigh:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spiffster posted:

It can be done but it’s a mix of luck and zero mistakes.

I don’t have the time or patience anymore for it I guess :sigh:

That's exactly why I scoffed. I got poo poo to do, and as much as I love this game, my patience with the 4th Survivor/Ghost Survivors stuff is a bit light. I keep trying to at least complete them though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lmao, today I learned that RE6 tracks how many times you’ve killed the various forms of Simmons, and displays it in the records page as “Dereks killed.”

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Kill 50 Dereks, and you'll be known as a Derek Hunter.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lmao, today I learned that RE6 tracks how many times you’ve killed the various forms of Simmons, and displays it in the records page as “Dereks killed.”

they should name various enemies derek without letting you know and then display this stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

If you kill a Derek in Europe + 2.5 to orphans created.

If you kill a Derek in China, + 1 to orphans created (one child policy)