Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

I am a simple trainer: I like a pokemon, I use it

I throw the Pokeball, I mash b, I capture the mon

It's honest clean work, but it pays the bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Trying to play a new game of Moon and dear God I would do obscene things for a way to skip cutscenes. The endless tutorial stuff I get, it's a game for kids too. But this poo poo is unbearable to get through a second time. Or third in my case. God

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So this story about the interplay of Trevenant, Litwick, and Phantump gets me feeling some strong feels every time.

Trevenant: It can control trees at will. It will trap people who harm the forest, so they can never leave.

Litwick: While shining a light and pretending to be a guide, it leeches off the life force of any who follow it.

Source 1
Source 2

Here's a more recent story the same author did about Yamask and Cofagrigius

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

I've been playing on and off since Red/Blue and I still have no idea what IV's and EV's actually are or how you look them up
They're dumb extra numbers what make you Very Strong if you spend a million years breeding and fighting very specific pokemon to make sure you Only Get Good Defense and I hate them because I'm bad at the metagame.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whalley posted:

They're dumb extra numbers what make you Very Strong if you spend a million years breeding and fighting very specific pokemon to make sure you Only Get Good Defense and I hate them because I'm bad at the metagame.

I caught a Charjabug, because he looks like a bus, and named him Vengabug

I'm not very good at the meta game either. I just try and have fun with my mons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I caught a huge Venonat in Lets Go and named him Chonker because there aren't enough characters available for Heckin' Chonker.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whalley posted:

I think all of it is fine now. IVs have always been fine. It gives breeding a deeper purpose otherwise breeding would simply be a way to gate moves that should otherwise be in TMs. EVs are kinda annoying and dumb but as an extra way to further refine the stats of a pokemon they work. 126 extra stat points that you can directly affect is a nice way to differentiate pokemon. The problem has been that as a mechanic it wasn’t really explained and you needed to go hunting online to figure poo poo out. Same with natures.

I think the last gens has made strides on making these systems less annoying. There’s berries, vitamins and items you can use to speed up the EV training process. In Let’s Go P/E you can straight up choose the nature of wild pokemon by paying a NPC. Once you’re set up for training, breeding a good pokemon then raising him to be a formidable fighter is a fun experience in itself and I rather continue having that.

I’m hoping Gen 8 further refines this.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Charjabug is a good pokemon and Vengabug is a good name and I think you did a Good Thing

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I caught a huge Venonat in Lets Go and named him Chonker because there aren't enough characters available for Heckin' Chonker.

I have a Tyranitar named Chonk :hf:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think all of it is fine now.

They really, really need to have a tutorial/introduce the mechanics in the game though

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Winklebottom posted:

They really, really need to have a tutorial/introduce the mechanics in the game though

:agreed: . I think fleshing out the endgame once the “story” ends is where they need further improvement. A lot of it has always been “well there’s a ton of new poo poo out in the world now good luck finding it”

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it would be really cool if access to the competitive metagame wasn't locked behind literally walking in circles foe hours to enable an occasional completely random chance at getting the thing you want

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It works be really cool if cloud saves are supported, but they won't be

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

All of it doesn’t matter unless you are trying pvp - at which point it all becomes mandatory. So yea put in a tutorial npc at the post game batte tower equivalent or something.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Coming from someone who breeds competitively viable pokemon EV training can get right the gently caress out. I can manage hours of slowly working to get the right traits on a pokemon, I mean I can just watch a show while I do it. But having to specifically find and fight the right mons and trainers to slowly inch up the EV's is beyond me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Flopsy posted:

Coming from someone who breeds competitively viable pokemon EV training can get right the gently caress out. I can manage hours of slowly working to get the right traits on a pokemon, I mean I can just watch a show while I do it. But having to specifically find and fight the right mons and trainers to slowly inch up the EV's is beyond me.

There's a poke pelago island for that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Yeah EV training was always way worse than the breeding for me. Though it's all so much easier in these gens than the past ones. I remember in Emerald when you had to sync a stop watch with your game and try to hit the right frame based on timing for good eggs lol

Getting what you want and training it takes almost no time comparatively

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

There's a poke pelago island for that.

I've been making use of those actually. But I wasn't sure if they worked the same way, thanks for the heads up though! :)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, isn't Poke Pelago a way to get perfect EVs with no effort at all?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I've been making use of those actually. But I wasn't sure if they worked the same way, thanks for the heads up though! :)

Clarste posted:

Yeah, isn't Poke Pelago a way to get perfect EVs with no effort at all?

Yep. the rank 3 island gives 4 EV points per "session" so 63 sessions to get 252 EVs in a stat. Which is a little under 16 hours if you're speeding it up with Beans, So you can set it before you go to bed and they'll be done when you get back from work more or less.

And you can target lower numbers in multiples of 4 depending on the number of sessions you give.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kurieg posted:

Yep. the rank 3 island gives 4 EV points per "session" so 63 sessions to get 252 EVs in a stat. Which is a little under 16 hours if you're speeding it up with Beans, So you can set it before you go to bed and they'll be done when you get back from work more or less.

And you can target lower numbers in multiples of 4 depending on the number of sessions you give.

Oh this is awesome. I just started messing with Pelago and I’m still on the 2nd island. This will come in handy for sure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh this is awesome. I just started messing with Pelago and I’m still on the 2nd island. This will come in handy for sure.

And you can use the EV reducing happiness berries to clean out the junk EVs before training.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I never understood how to use pokepelago it seems confusing and hard

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Whalley posted:

I never understood how to use pokepelago it seems confusing and hard

Put lots of pokemon in your bank, the more you have the more you'll be able to level up your islands.

The first one just gives you Beans, which you can use to increase pokemon affection or build and level up islands. It can occasionally cause random pokemon to show up and if you leave enough beans around they might stay. But there's nothing really special or unique about them other than their potential rarity.

Isle Aplenny lets you grow Berries, The higher the level the more berries you can plant at once and the more berries you get from the trees. Adding beans makes them grow faster.

Isle Aphun lets you find items to sell, evolution stones, or fossils. You unlock more paths as you level it up.

Isle Evelup is the EV Training one, you can also grind XP here but it does the same thing that the daycare center used to where it overwrites older moves as it levels. Higher levels mean more training sessions at once and better sessions.

Isle Avue increases a pokemon's friendship or hatches eggs if you don't want to use the Hyperbolic Tauros Chamber.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

My favourite Pokemon is Slaking because he's the gooniest

Slaking's animation when he comes out of his poke ball makes me cringe internally because he lands on his elbow in a way that clearly should break it

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Flopsy posted:

Yeah, PokePelago is what I've been using for EV training my dudes. It's quite foolproof. I also have a poo poo ton of the EV reducing berries just in case I gently caress something up. The nice thing about it is, you can do precise numbers of EVs other than just maxing two stats and calling it a day. It's really convenient. I hope the next games at least have something similar.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I even trained 3 Pokemon for the battle tree on a lark and decided that yeah showdown is the superior way to battle

I mean I don't do that either but if I wanted to, it would be

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Hammerite posted:

Slaking's animation when he comes out of his poke ball makes me cringe internally because he lands on his elbow in a way that clearly should break it

he's a very strong beefy boy, he dosen't feel pain.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Infinitum posted:

I can’t believe a “Yennefer of Vengabug” Pokémon never occurred to me!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

if one wanted to get into this pokemon IV breeding lark, where do you start? does anyone have a good guide lying around or something

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

if one wanted to get into this pokemon IV breeding lark, where do you start? does anyone have a good guide lying around or something

This is pretty thorough. https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/pokemon-sun-moon-breeding-guide/5/

You can ask us for other tips as well if you need to .

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope there's a new dragon based off of the one on the Welsh flag. Also something with a tartan-esque design.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The one major issue with breeding is getting good IVs. Goons are usually willing to provide an HA Pokemon or two to start your chain but the time investment of getting good ivs is best left to Perfectly Legitimate Ditto spot welded to a destiny knot.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Remove EVs and IVs from the game, thanks.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The one major issue with breeding is getting good IVs. Goons are usually willing to provide an HA Pokemon or two to start your chain but the time investment of getting good ivs is best left to Perfectly Legitimate Ditto spot welded to a destiny knot.

This is a good point. What's your ditto situation Winklebottom?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/rootsworks/status/1102644550663778304

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Flopsy posted:

This is pretty thorough. https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/pokemon-sun-moon-breeding-guide/5/

You can ask us for other tips as well if you need to .

Thanks, I'll give it a read

Kurieg posted:

I was afraid of that but I guess I'll see what can be done once I've read a bit

E:

Flopsy posted:

This is a good point. What's your ditto situation Winklebottom?

Er, I have a random one I caught somewhere? :v

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 4, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Injuryprone posted:

Remove EVs and IVs from the game, thanks.

Also held items I just can't keep track

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

Er, I have a random one I caught somewhere? :v

I'll give you one of my 6Iv ones to get started okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Flopsy posted:

I'll give you one of my 6Iv ones to get started okay?

Ooh, thank you very much. I'm in Europe, does that makes a difference for trading?