Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think one of the better brief storylines was when Gene was trying to get out of the life to save his son/family and retire and both the government and the family refused to let him go. Killing himself really was the best solution to the problem to get his son help and his family far away from all the problems.

The scene with him giving Tony his 'taste' of the inheritance was pretty gross too. He clearly wanted to buy his way out but Tony took it and send Silvio to give him the bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tony really is completely reprehensible through the entire run.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Some of the best are the blatant lies he tells to Carm and Gandolfini manages to make it seem like Tony can barely get the lie out without looking worried she might not believe him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When he almost pointed out the fingernail she found was some other woman he was cheating on her with instead of the Russian is a great acting moment. He held back and you can see this look of "yeah, I got her on this one" wash over his face even though he's still caught.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzVeLjj6Ao8

"Take only the children - what's left of them- and go!"

It's kinda like that scene where the women are at some speaking event thing, and they get all offended that people think Italians are mobsters. Beautiful stuff .

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just started season 2. Man, is there better foil than Janice?

Last season Tony barely survived being assassinated by his uncle but he takes that all in stride for the most part. The mere presence of Janice makes him lose his goddamned mind.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Janice was the worst.

I mean can we wonder why we see Tony's other sister like three times in the show? She is the only one who got out of that terrible family.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Janice is such an amazingly well written character. There's just absolutely nothing redeeming in her at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Narzack posted:

It's kinda like that scene where the women are at some speaking event thing, and they get all offended that people think Italians are mobsters. Beautiful stuff .

I love how terrified that witness was and how fast they panicked when they read that he identified Tony Soprano and completely flipped on their being good people attempt.

Someone on these forums once said that was written in by Chase to mock all those viewer suburnites who idolized Tony and thought he was actually a good guy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Even when he does something that seems nice like not wanting Vito dead there's still a motive there. He likes that Vito brings him in a lot of money, and he hates doing what anyone else tells him to do.

His most reprehensible act is I think killing Chris. He brings Chris into that life, draws him ever deeper, convinces him to never flip and do anything to hurt him or the Mob, and then ultimately kills Chris himself.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pentyne posted:

I love how terrified that witness was and how fast they panicked when they read that he identified Tony Soprano and completely flipped on their being good people attempt.

The wife is so good in that scene.

“You just had to be the BIG MAN!!!”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Even when he does something that seems nice like not wanting Vito dead there's still a motive there. He likes that Vito brings him in a lot of money, and he hates doing what anyone else tells him to do.

His most reprehensible act is I think killing Chris. He brings Chris into that life, draws him ever deeper, convinces him to never flip and do anything to hurt him or the Mob, and then ultimately kills Chris himself.

And he did it because Carmela put it into his head that Chris was going to betray him. Sure, he internalized it as saving Chris' daughter, but then had that dream where he laid out exactly why he did it to Melfi. Man, I should finish the rewatch I started awhile ago. Season 5 and 6 is always when I stall out, but there is a lot of good stuff in there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
5 and the second half of 6 are probably my two favourite seasons

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The episode where Tony sizes up all his men and then beats the poo poo out of the big musclebound dude to prove to everybody he's still The Man (then goes and throws up immediately afterwards because what the gently caress Tony, you just got out of a loving coma!) is so great. Just the way he looks over everybody to try and figure out which guy is the best choice, the way everybody warns the big dude NOT to fight back, the poor bastard apologizing to Tony afterwards. Their hosed up idea of masculinity and leadership is so fascinating.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Mahoning posted:

The wife is so good in that scene.

“You just had to be the BIG MAN!!!”

Her panicked "on the fridge, on the fridge!!" is a quote I cherish to this day.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mckbLaZ9XI

Everything about it is brilliant, especially the music!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I just wish they wouldn't be so mean to Georgie all the time.

Dude is trying his best. He doesn't deserve getting smashed over the head with a phone.

Also, probably my favourite Tony moment is the pulp argument out in the driveway.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1102398278803619840

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
On a scale of one to ten, how sacrilegious is it to say that I think Sopranos is better than the Wire? Or that I at least like it more?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Narzack posted:

On a scale of one to ten, how sacrilegious is it to say that I think Sopranos is better than the Wire? Or that I at least like it more?

I think they’re very different shows about very different subjects and I don’t think it’s a very controversial opinion to have.

I think The Wire has more profound things to say than The Sopranos, but from a pure enjoyment standpoint, I’d rather watch the Sopranos.

Does anyone else enjoy the family segments of the Sopranos more than the “family” segments? Like upon first watch, I loved all the organized crime stuff but now I love the dynamic of Tony/Carmela/Meadow/AJ and to an extent Christopher much more than the organized crime stuff. Maybe it’s just being older and having a family of my own now that makes it more fascinating to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sopranos is fantastic and I def prefer it to The Wire but they are very different shows

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Mix it with the relish!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I loved The Wire and am incredibly glad that I watched it. Once.

I'll probably watch The Sopranos every few years for quite a long time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

And he did it because Carmela put it into his head that Chris was going to betray him. Sure, he internalized it as saving Chris' daughter, but then had that dream where he laid out exactly why he did it to Melfi. Man, I should finish the rewatch I started awhile ago. Season 5 and 6 is always when I stall out, but there is a lot of good stuff in there.

That's the best dream of the series too because there's no lead up and it catches you off guard how he just casually throws out the "I've murdered friends and family before. My cousin Tony, my friend Pussy..." and then wakes up in a panic because he thought he was blabbing in his sleep.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narzack posted:

The Wire is probably the best television show I've ever seen, but comparing it to The Sopranos feels foolish because they're such completely different shows. On the surface level they're both shows about crime with a large cast, but that's about it when it comes to comparing the two.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Steve2911 posted:

I loved The Wire and am incredibly glad that I watched it. Once.

I'll probably watch The Sopranos every few years for quite a long time.

I've watched The Sopranos in it's entirety like three times. I think I'm about to start re-watch number 9 for The Wire. I used to think The Wire was superior but I honestly think both are different shows and comparing them is a fools errand. Both do great things.

What are people's thoughts on Bobby Baccala Jr? I feel like he's the one mob character that while he does kill a guy in Montreal, is the only one that I didn't find myself hating at one point or another.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Handsome Ralph posted:

What are people's thoughts on Bobby Baccala Jr? I feel like he's the one mob character that while he does kill a guy in Montreal, is the only one that I didn't find myself hating at one point or another.

He is sympathetic because you do get the idea that he really was never cut out for that life but ends up more or less forced into it due to circumstances. Even moreso once he's married to Janice. Sympathetic doesn't mean he's a good person of course, for the reasons you point out.

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

"Fat gently caress? You should try looking in the mirror some time you insensitive cocksucker!" The way he went from a constant target of Tony's abuse to his inner circle, even underboss, was an interesting character transition. Given the kind of guy he is, would he even have been in the mafia without his old man's influence? There were scenes where he showed his dark side (Like threatening the union rep in the bar), but he had a big heart.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

He is sympathetic because you do get the idea that he really was never cut out for that life but ends up more or less forced into it due to circumstances. Even moreso once he's married to Janice. Sympathetic doesn't mean he's a good person of course, for the reasons you point out.

He always wanted to be a good man, a good husband, good father etc. but his dad was a legendary mob hitman and he was the heir so he went into the life like he was expected to.

Being mocked for not cheating on his wife gives you an idea of how much of a saint he was compared to literally everyone else.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The_dude_abides posted:

"Fat gently caress? You should try looking in the mirror some time you insensitive cocksucker!" The way he went from a constant target of Tony's abuse to his inner circle, even underboss, was an interesting character transition. Given the kind of guy he is, would he even have been in the mafia without his old man's influence? There were scenes where he showed his dark side (Like threatening the union rep in the bar), but he had a big heart.

Bobby was pretty good. Adriana was another one. Pretty much everyone else was some form of rear end in a top hat. Finn was pretty much OK. Good he got out of there when he saw his fiance was leaning more and more towards mob life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Do I have the timeline right, the one murder Bobby commits is down to Tony flexing and forcing him to after Bobby beats him up in a fair fight after Tony wouldn't stop making fun of Janice?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh man I’m watching the episode Christopher, the one about the Columbus Day parade. So much loving comic gold in this episode. The scene where the wives are at the Italian American women talk, the way the other women start eyeing the mob wives when she brings up organized crime, Rosalie Aprile flips the bird to the one lady. Hilarious. The way Carmela says “whaddya gon do” the way Tony always says it. The Native American protestor yelling “Moussolini was Hitler’s bitch!” How Ralph tries to threaten the Native American leader about the famous actor not being Native American and he doesn’t care. (But then freaks out for a second after Ralph leaves)

And Jesus, this is the episode where Paulie tells Johnny Sack about the mole joke, crazy how that has an affect throughout the entire rest of the show.

edit: “He was gay, Gary Cooper?”

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 5, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mahoning posted:

(But then freaks out for a second after Ralph leaves)

This is my favorite part, the moment Ralph leaves he just completely loses his cool, it's fantastic.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Jerusalem posted:

Do I have the timeline right, the one murder Bobby commits is down to Tony flexing and forcing him to after Bobby beats him up in a fair fight after Tony wouldn't stop making fun of Janice?

it wasn't a fair fight, tony had been shot and he slipped on a rug, so when you think about it tony won

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it wasn't a fair fight, tony had been shot and he slipped on a rug, so when you think about it tony won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVX_dzEb3AM

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Janice pretty much murdered Bobby as much as she did Richie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think my favorite character is Rosalie Aprile. She never made any excuses for her lifestyle and didn't try to rationalize what happened to Jackie Sr or Jackie Jr. Since she doesn't internalize her grief, she doesn't live in misery like Carm.

Plus she has some really funny moments, like when she's talking to Adriana (who's talking with the Feds) about Pussy and Judas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6owKGSCQw

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Just finished re watching the series since it came out and it holds up.

Little Carmine has some of my favorite lines in the series. All of his malapropisms are fantastic.

"There's no stigmata connected with going to a shrink"
“You're at a precipice of an enormous crossroads”
"A pint of blood costs more than a gallon of gold"
"I've had 9 pictures under my sub-species"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
it's a regular tour de france.

some might even say a mixture of the sacred and the propane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

MrBling posted:

I just wish they wouldn't be so mean to Georgie all the time.

Dude is trying his best. He doesn't deserve getting smashed over the head with a phone.

I really liked the way they showed Georgie getting poo poo on, because it started off bleakly funny (throwing ice, calling him an idiot), and then just kept escalating to the point where it got more and more uncomfortable, and then finally they just straight up ruined the guy's face.

I think there's a parallel there with the way we see Tony. At the beginning he seems like a bad guy who could be redeemed, and as it goes you just realize he is too twisted to ever change his ways.