Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like a lot of this is that Scooby-Doo is a strong enough premise to support a movie, whereas a lot of these shows either kinda aren't, or were just Scooby clones in the first place.

Following from this, the thing to do would be make Scooby stuff and weave the other IPs into it, instead of going Full MCU.

Which seems to be what they're actually doing, and not just doing a 'cinematic universe' where Captain loving Caveman gets his own film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Sounds like some people have never seen Laff-A-Lympics

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I would loving love a Hanna Barbara super hero cinematic universe. Get Birdman, Space Ghost, Blue Falcon, Dynomutt and the Johnny Quest team all together. Have them team up against Frankenstein Jr.

Warner Bros. needs to get in touch with me. I've got ideas.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I saw they made a new Wacky Races show. Is that worth a poo poo?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

I would loving love a Hanna Barbara super hero cinematic universe. Get Birdman, Space Ghost, Blue Falcon, Dynomutt and the Johnny Quest team all together. Have them team up against Frankenstein Jr.

All leading up to the mega-crossover movie, The Venture Bros.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

All leading up to the mega-crossover movie, The Venture Bros.

The Ventures Bros kick rear end, but they're a little too jokey for what I'm envisioning. I want camp, and for that it needs to be played completely straight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cease to Hope posted:

i mean, it was. if that's all they're going for, a series of movies loosely interconnected by references and cameos and crossovers, sure

then again what else is gonna go in a scooby doo universe besides more scooby doo movies? is there an audience out there for a $150m jabberjaw movie?

It's all about bringing idol culture to America. Get ready for Jose & The Pussycats movies dropping alongside a new album every year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McCloud posted:

So in the scene in Justice League where Clark fights the league, apparently the army was supposed to be in the background firing at the group, with Cyborg running interference

https://twitter.com/DannyRand2025/status/1101609788713111552?s=19

Of all the stuff that the movies have translated 1:1 from the comics, this is always the funniest to me. Back in the JLA/Avengers crossover like 15+ years back, one of the Roy Thomas-esque nods to the fans was that the Avengers thought it was some sort of mind control trick that people in the DCU inherently trusted and respected superheroes, and the JLA found the Avengers world to be dystopian and pessimistic because of the exact opposite. The movies flip that around almost exactly to the point where there are several MCU heroes that may as well have NCO ranks, and Batman is shown to be a bad guy because he does business with the NSA and cops love him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Schwarzwald posted:

I would kill to see this just so we could eventually get the prequel movie Better Call Birdman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Schwarzwald posted:

I would watch the hell out of a Future Quest movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gavok posted:

I would watch the hell out of a Future Quest movie.

Animate this in the style of Into the Spider-Verse.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrNutt posted:

*takes massive bong rip* Uh hasn't Hanna Barbara been a shared universe since pretty much time began? They've always done silly team ups and poo poo.

Retardog posted:

Sounds like some people have never seen Laff-A-Lympics

C'mon now

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

if you read the article this is obviously going to be kicking off the "Hanna Barbera Shared Cinematic Universe" that they've been itching to make for years

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

teagone posted:

Animate this in the style of Space Ghost Coast To Coast

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

The Ventures Bros kick rear end, but they're a little too jokey for what I'm envisioning. I want camp, and for that it needs to be played completely straight.

I was mostly alluding to the fact that literally every character in that listing either has an analogue in VB or, in Johnny Quest's case, literally is in the show :v:

e: or, I should say, Action Johnny before Cartoon Network's lawyers descend on me like a pack of ravenous wolves

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

teagone posted:

Animate this in the style of The Lego Batman Movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Really though, superheroes and animation pair perfectly.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I was mostly alluding to the fact that literally every character in that listing either has an analogue in VB or, in Johnny Quest's case, literally is in the show :v:

e: or, I should say, Action Johnny before Cartoon Network's lawyers descend on me like a pack of ravenous wolves

it's funny how it starts out with these legally-distinct-from-the-original creations then the creators realize that cartoon network just owns johnny quest anyway so gently caress it here's race bannon

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cease to Hope posted:

it's funny how it starts out with these legally-distinct-from-the-original creations then the creators realize that cartoon network just owns johnny quest anyway so gently caress it here's race bannon

Actually, it's the other way around- they made the title characters as legally-distinct versions, then realized CN owned it and added Race and Johnny, then CN got angry at them for making Johnny a tweaker so now he's Action Johnny (even though he looks and sounds exactly the same as an old tweaker Johnny Quest would).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Actually, it's the other way around- they made the title characters as legally-distinct versions, then realized CN owned it and added Race and Johnny, then CN got angry at them for making Johnny a tweaker so now he's Action Johnny (even though he looks and sounds exactly the same as an old tweaker Johnny Quest would).

oh, I didn't know the latter part, that's even better

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cease to Hope posted:

oh, I didn't know the latter part, that's even better

yeah that was what my edit was referring to, the fig leaf of him being "Action Johnny" is in and of itself a really good joke imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And Dr Z is totally not Dr Zin. IIRC it's because CN had some plans for a new Johnny Quest show and, quite understandably really, didn't want the character to be too strongly connected to a burnt-out junkie.

They even have Rusty and Jonny be old acquaintances, and an episode with scenes taken right from an old Jonny Quest episode in the last season. Dr Z has actually basically become friends with Johnny in their retirement. (certainly on better terms than it's implied he is with his family)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

She looks like the Star Trek version of Mystique

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

She looks like the Star Trek version of Mystique

I understand budget wise if they didn't want to pay her enough that like Romjin she'd do the full nude makeup thing so they go with a body suit/etc. face makeup stuff instead. But I seriously am still blown away that in this new one the costume makes it so they literally only need to do her face and hands and it's still so bad. Like what? Even the hair is horrible and her looking like Star Trek version of Mystique is dead on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uilJZZ_iVwY

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Mystique in the X-men movies has always looked bad, right from having her run around in the nude, to the entry level makeup she seems to have in this next movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oasx posted:

Mystique in the X-men movies has always looked bad, right from having her run around in the nude, to the entry level makeup she seems to have in this next movie.

Like it's funny but I get it. In the first movie the Brotherhood is the very obvious flipside of the more conventionally glamorous X-Men, so you've got Sabtertooth and Toad looking more grotesque and the idea behind Mystique is that she's actually hiding this more monstrous form. Then they explained her philosophy in X2 where "she shouldn't have to" look "normal". But now they're locked into that as long as they want to use her character, and simultaneously they have to half-rear end it because Lawrence doesn't want to spend 20 hours in makeup. It's kind of sad in a funny way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

Nobody cared though because it was Rebecca Romijn in body paint.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I'm actually feeling this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I'm actually feeling this.

I'm still disgusted by it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I still hate the new direction of the DCEU but if there’s a DC superhero that has to be handled comedically it’s probably Shazam, so... Iunno. If I’m not doing anything else that weekend, maybe.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Oasx posted:

I don’t think the nude form was a bad concept. Its a practical solution to her being able to mimic clothes and stuff. It also helped make her look more alien and push the idea that the X-Men all kind of luck out by being “conventially” normal, as opposed to the Brotherhood.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think Shazam would have ended up more or less exactly the same if Snyder was still around.

That said, I'm loving what I see.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Shazaam will get middling reviews and returns, and of course The Rock will then swoop in and revive interest in the franchise with his Black Adam solo film. It is written.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Fart City posted:

I don’t think the nude form was a bad concept. Its a practical solution to her being able to mimic clothes and stuff. It also helped make her look more alien and push the idea that the X-Men all kind of luck out by being “conventially” normal, as opposed to the Brotherhood.

Beast and Nightcrawler staring daggers at you from over in the corner.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Crimpolioni posted:

Beast and Nightcrawler staring daggers at you from over in the corner.

Nightcrawler, yes. But movie Beast gets to change into handsome Nicholas Holt at will. What’s more is that in his case the beast form isn’t even treated as his “true” self, but rather a burden. Mystique at least has the interest element of identifying with her non-human appearance.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm still disgusted by it.

Sandberg isn't quite nailing Snyder-vision, but it's at least refreshing to see a superhero movie that doesn't take place in spring or summer. It's going for broad comedy, but the color palette is so wintry, cold, and ambiguous. I don't imagine it'll end up subverting the power fantasy, but it at least looks interesting.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

K. Waste posted:

Sandberg isn't quite nailing Snyder-vision, but it's at least refreshing to see a superhero movie that doesn't take place in spring or summer. It's going for broad comedy, but the color palette is so wintry, cold, and ambiguous. I don't imagine it'll end up subverting the power fantasy, but it at least looks interesting.

for a minute I thought it was yet another reference to Big because I thought that movie took place around Christmas but upon further examination Big took place during the Fall so it's a little off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Oh hey this takes place here in Philly (or whatever the DC analogue of Philly is), neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

The main problem with the JLaw mystique makeup and performance is that it completely lacked the menacing presence dripping with sexuality the way Rebecca Romijn's version did. It made her character and performance so unique, disturbing, and memorable.