Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm assuming that's something like Velveeta.

its basically the genesis of velveeta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
California makes fine cheeses as well such as Marin French Cheese Co and Cowgirl Creamery. The former is sold at costco!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

California makes fine cheeses

Humboldt fog

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Speaking of Costco cheeses I got a big block of Coastal? cheddar from England and a big huge wedge of stilton for the holidays and it all got eaten up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just got a new tire at Costco and had a really bad experience. The hot dog was good of course.

You're not alone in this thread.

Didn't buy my second set of tires at Costco after what a mess the tire dept is.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I don't think I'll buy tires from Costco, but their automotive and marine/RV batteries are great if you don't need help installing them. And if you need help changing a car battery you've got problems bigger than a bad wait at Costco.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

my tire dept is fantastic. I guess it's hit or miss.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Xaris posted:

Nothing is exactly wrong. Costco glasses are good, good warrenty; however, their actual impact and importance has gone down over the last 10 years. They were great back in the 90s to late 00s because the competition was $400 Luxotica monopoly bullshit and getting a pair for like $150-200 was a great deal then. It's less so now because you can actually get super high quality glasses online for like <$50. Costco still has some advantages for glasses like trying them on first, or fittings (it's not hard to do yourself). If that's worth it, that's up to you to decide if the additional $$ is worth it. I personally feel like no.

I still do my eye exam at Costco because it's like $45 (tho the wait list can be pretty bad).

gently caress Luxxotica so much

They are a lovely company and their chairman is the stereotypical oily italian arm-twister and they suck

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/may/10/the-invisible-power-of-big-glasses-eyewear-industry-essilor-luxottica

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nooner posted:

Got this jalapeno artichoke dip and idgaf about anything now this is all that i am ever eating again forever

They had $2 "steakhouse dip" from the same brand here and it's pretty good

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

Nothing is exactly wrong. Costco glasses are good, good warrenty; however, their actual impact and importance has gone down over the last 10 years. They were great back in the 90s to late 00s because the competition was $400 Luxotica monopoly bullshit and getting a pair for like $150-200 was a great deal then. It's less so now because you can actually get super high quality glasses online for like <$50. Costco still has some advantages for glasses like trying them on first, or fittings (it's not hard to do yourself). If that's worth it, that's up to you to decide if the additional $$ is worth it. I personally feel like no.

I still do my eye exam at Costco because it's like $45 (tho the wait list can be pretty bad).

I've never had the guts to buy glasses online. What are the good sites?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Lots of people use zenni optical. I literally paid 10 dollars for my glasses and yeah I look like a drat nerd but the price difference is just too good to pass up.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I've got vision insurance and the frames at Costco are cheap enough that I get them for free. I just end up paying for lens coatings which run about $35. If I were to get frames and lenses at my optometrist's office with my benefits they would run me about $200.

Pro-tip - costco has more stylish oakley and ray ban frames under the glass counter if you want something nicer.

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 3, 2019

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thinkin bout that slice of cheese with an almost inappropriate amount of cheese

almost

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i got the sliced ham. it's fine.

sad that costco brand flavored soda water has turned me from my bae lacroix but you can't argue with the savings.

naem
May 29, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

i got the sliced ham. it's fine.

sad that costco brand flavored soda water has turned me from my bae lacroix but you can't argue with the savings.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Zenni is solid. If you end up not liking the glasses as much, you're out $30 and now have a backup pair. Plus the knowledge of how to order a better pair next time.

If you have vision insurance, unless your employer gives it to you for "free", you're throwing money at a copay that very likely doesn't balance out in your favor.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Zenni pull that bullshit where you have to have a current prescription to be able to order glasses?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Fallom posted:

Does Zenni pull that bullshit where you have to have a current prescription to be able to order glasses?

Nope, you just enter the numbers from the prescription and get glasses. My only problem with them is the polarizing lenses don't seem very good, so night driving is a bit annoying in cities.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fallom posted:

nope. you can also just enter the same prescription with a new date. there is literally nothing binding about prescriptions at all

I've used these sites in the past for online glasses:
Zennioptical
Optical4less
Eyebuydirect

All have been fine with no issues. I think O4L had the best build quality but this was many years ago, they take longer to ship though so I just haven't ordered from them in awhile. Eyebuydirect does free returns within 2 weeks and 1 year warrenty replacements but I don't remember if their build quality was any better or wose than Zenni. I'd probably just stick with Zenni but take a look and see what frames you think you'd like best.

Skip all the fancy hydrophobic coatings and poo poo, they're not worth it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I went to the grocery store this afternoon and got a rotisserie chicken. It was $2 more and half the size of Co chickens. Plus it was extremely cursed.

Anyone who doesn't get a chicken when at church is a heathen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I went to the grocery store this afternoon and got a rotisserie chicken. It was $2 more and half the size of Co chickens. Plus it was extremely cursed.

The ones from smart and final are very close to the Costco chickens I think they are the same size and price. They don’t taste quite as good but they are drat good

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've been saying this for a while but if you do any amount of serious cooking, you should be making your own rotisserie chicken stock every couple of weeks or so. Using your own stock WILL take your cooking to the next level, and it's basically free with how cheap the Costco chickens are.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Taima posted:

I've been saying this for a while but if you do any amount of serious cooking, you should be making your own rotisserie chicken stock every couple of weeks or so. Using your own stock WILL take your cooking to the next level, and it's basically free with how cheap the Costco chickens are.

Do you use a pressure cooker for that? I heard that is the OP way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Do you use a pressure cooker for that? I heard that is the OP way.

Yes and get an instapot. The thing is legit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MarcusSA posted:

Yes and get an instapot. The thing is legit.

I have one of the breville versions and it rules for my stews and soups and whatnot.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't imagine buying glasses online. Every time I think I'm going to look good in a pair of glasses, I try them on and I end up looking like a giant dork, so I much prefer trying them on first. I also don't trust my ability to size or adjust my glasses right.

It also helps my vision insurance is very good and my cousin is a optometrist so every time I get my eyes checked I get treated like a VIP.

e: her first job out of eye doctor school was the Costco vision department hell yeah

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

I can't imagine buying glasses online. Every time I think I'm going to look good in a pair of glasses, I try them on and I end up looking like a giant dork, so I much prefer trying them on first. I also don't trust my ability to size or adjust my glasses right.

It also helps my vision insurance is very good and my cousin is a optometrist so every time I get my eyes checked I get treated like a VIP.

e: her first job out of eye doctor school was the Costco vision department hell yeah

My expectation for how glasses should look on my face and how they actually look is a vast gulf.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
You should start with a photo of yourself. Draw some glasses on there looking the way you want. Then look for glassednthat match

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got this awesome couch/futon thing at my local Costco for $299. It is really really good. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Midniter posted:

I got this awesome couch/futon thing at my local Costco for $299. It is really really good. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

Please like and subscribe

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Is there a coupon or something? I see $580

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poisonpill posted:

Is there a coupon or something? I see $580

No, it's a lot cheaper in the warehouse because on the website the shipping is "included" in the sense that they just add it to the cost of the product itself and it's a large 140 lb. box so it's not cheap to ship.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lol at a grown rear end man having a futon

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

well that one looks nice u freakin' nincompoop

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nooner posted:

Futons and bunk beds own u big dumpy baby, now you can't come over an play forts :mad:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Nooner posted:

you wanna fuckin' go ?! old man!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nooner posted:

lol at not being able to afford a $300 futon :smug:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Futons are also way more comfortable (with a decent mattress) than most pull-out couches for having guests over, unless you like torturing them with a nasty bar on their spine

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

SirPablo posted:

I can't even recall the last time I bought a Costco chicken. Over five years at least, and I visit Costco weekly.

Taima posted:

My greatest shame is that I've never gotten around to making stock, despite having plenty of chicken carcasses around to use.

The Midniter posted:

No, it's a lot cheaper in the warehouse because on the website the shipping is "included" in the sense that they just add it to the cost of the product itself and it's a large 140 lb. box so it's not cheap to ship.

Costco.com's shipping costs on furniture really kill all the deals there. Things that are both in warehouse and online are typically 30% more online. I get that drop shipping a loving couch is not cheap, but there's got to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
futons belong in stoner dorm rooms if guests are coming over to stay they can have the air matress