Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I always thought Linus was annoying but tolerable, but this Jake guy is terrible and should not be allowed in front of the camera. Case in point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHs8Wg_ZhE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I actually like Jake because he clearly doesn’t put up with Linus’s poo poo. Apparently they hired him after he verbally berated a few of their videos and he’s their youngest staff member

mewse
May 2, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Whenever they're vlogging their office for some project and they go into the editor den to announce they're doing something, none of the staff seem happy. Hmmm

Prime edit suite stink-eye in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk5TTjxHwGY&t=278s

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I love how they have at least two lots, several sets and some other big spaces yet they have their editors cooped in that tiny den.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3lUw9GUJA

This came up in my rec's and I'm super glad I watched it. It's great how this lad is super casual with his state of dress, but his rundown and presentation is really good! Reminds my why I liked youtube in the first place.

Looking back at 90's rendering warms my heart. Also....16gb of 1993 ram!

Fragrag posted:

I love how they have at least two lots, several sets and some other big spaces yet they have their editors cooped in that tiny den.

It's no wonder they're cranky. One dude farts in there and it's all over.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 4, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The 8-Bit Guy

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

This one is even better. In this one Linus is actively trying to make his editor's lives worse just to save a buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riSffWEtrF0

Keep in mind this is the same person who did THIS to an $80,000 RED Digital Cinema camera:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's a perfectly serviceable option called bcache on Linux. It does in particular what he's wishing for in regards to new incoming data. But I guess that wouldn't make much of a video.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's a perfectly serviceable option called bcache on Linux. It does in particular what he's wishing for in regards to new incoming data. But I guess that wouldn't make much of a video.

Based on his Lutris video, I think he wants to keep the fashionably 90s "Linux = Hacking Tool" naivete. It's weird because he's not so atrociously dumb that he couldn't pick it up, he just chooses to keep his head immersed in the Wintel world. Possibly because, like a lot of voices of experience about hardware, he sees everything's peak potential as being "for gamers" and doesn't care to learn a drat thing about the enterprise environment his businesses nonetheless has to adopt to work properly.

Linus just seems like the kind of guy who would use a 2080ti and a motherboard with "Gamers Rise UP" emblazoned in RGB to run a simple database server. It works only because his audience is predominately people more impressed by gaming FPS charts than any other sort of benchmark.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 5, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are there good summaries of LTT videos so you don't actually have to watch them if there isn't anything entertaining in them.

Other than this thread of course.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

I believe when I watched it last night I saw some reference to "expensive" proprietary solutions and displayed QNAP's Qtier technology. Thing is that technology isn't really expensive as their products are fair prices, it's more the cost of the media, but, you know, why pay a reasonable price for something that will work out of the box when you could make something poo poo.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Craptacular! posted:

Based on his Lutris video, I think he wants to keep the fashionably 90s "Linux = Hacking Tool" naivete. It's weird because he's not so atrociously dumb that he couldn't pick it up, he just chooses to keep his head immersed in the Wintel world. Possibly because, like a lot of voices of experience about hardware, he sees everything's peak potential as being "for gamers" and doesn't care to learn a drat thing about the enterprise environment his businesses nonetheless has to adopt to work properly.

Linus just seems like the kind of guy who would use a 2080ti and a motherboard with "Gamers Rise UP" emblazoned in RGB to run a simple database server. It works only because his audience is predominately people more impressed by gaming FPS charts than any other sort of benchmark.

He used an ASRock gaming mother board and consumer everythin, to run 3X raids in a raid. And then when it stopped working because it’s obviously a massive hack, he was flabbergasted that it was his only copy of some Data.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I think I'm all Linus'ed out. I don't know if it's just overexposure but the only thing that keeps me watching is Riley.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

I think I'm all Linus'ed out. I don't know if it's just overexposure but the only thing that keeps me watching is Riley.

They seem to be running low on ideas. Probably the most inspirational video I watched was when he made a space for the kids under the stairs with the tv fixed on an angle and a floor cushion to sit on. I ended up getting a floor cushion for my media room, excellent for watching a projector. Perhaps they could do some more fun stuff like outdoor projection on the buildings, but they don't seem to bother. It's almost like their production schedule has hurt the content.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Cavauro posted:

The 8-Bit Guy

This guy deserves some love. I'm too young for the 80s computer age other than being a small kid but the 8-bit guys "history of" stuff is great.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

He used an ASRock gaming mother board and consumer everythin, to run 3X raids in a raid. And then when it stopped working because it’s obviously a massive hack, he was flabbergasted that it was his only copy of some Data.
Honestly though watching some guy install proper enterprise server hardware in a data center where everything just works right the first time is pretty boring. I know Linus is not doing it the correct way, he is usually doing it the wrong way, cheap way, or ludicrously expensive way ($100,000 PC) and it's kinda fascinating to see the various what if scenarios he encounters. Watching some dude install the proper, expensive server hardware is just boring.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHbqzPCE_Pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkb87gjLyPg

I enjoy behind the scenes videos. It's interesting to see just how many people work at Linus Media Group and how large their workspace is.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I like Nexus for how in depth it is but the guy sounds so disinterested when he speaks. It's like the opposite of Linus. I do enjoy the LMG behind the scenes stuff.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLFG068HtgM

Quite possibly the most amusing and informative video about a toaster ever made.

Also the little bit at the end right as the Patreon credits started rolling.......

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

cage-free egghead posted:

I like Nexus for how in depth it is but the guy sounds so disinterested when he speaks.

But he does sound enthused? Just not fake-overdone enthused.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Nexus is a way more pleasant channel to listen to than Linus.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wish Nexus guy cleaned himself up a bit. He looks like he crawled out from a goon den. That said the quality of his content is pretty good. Most of the stuff goes over my head but he sums up the important points very well.

He also seems to value trust of his viewers, so much so that he released this 25 minute cringe-train.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3n80GxU-Zs

CoolerMaster gave him a factory tour, a review case with custom filter, and literal pounds of candy filled inside. He ends up having his team spend twice as long reviewing this case to find something, anything redeeming about this case because it was performing badly in everything. After failing to find anything of positive substance, he releases this video where he pretty thoroughly reviews it, showing all the flaws, and looking genuinely upset that he's going to ruin at least a few people's days.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
And that is why Tech Jesus loving owns.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLFG068HtgM

Quite possibly the most amusing and informative video about a toaster ever made.

Also the little bit at the end right as the Patreon credits started rolling.......

This dude is such a huge dweeb but he's so sincere and knowledgeable that I respect the hell out of what he's doing. He's preserving, in some way, classic video transmission tech. There are clever aspects to his videos too, like his VHS episode that demonstrated SP/LP/SLP.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Q9tPFgvp0

I loving love how them not letting Linus in the compute room is immediately proven the correct decision when he gets handsy with the door.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Speaking of Linus, I'm actually enjoying them rotating hosts now and it's not just Linus for every god drat thing. If anything I consider him the weakest link in terms of hosting for numerous reasons. Hell, even Dennis is more enjoyable.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Big Clive is the only tech youtuber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZZbuOeNmw

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Wirth1000 posted:

Speaking of Linus, I'm actually enjoying them rotating hosts now and it's not just Linus for every god drat thing. If anything I consider him the weakest link in terms of hosting for numerous reasons. Hell, even Dennis is more enjoyable.

I’m not sure it will last. I think they are just putting out videos that were shot while he was on vacation and eventually he’ll be back full time on the videos again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Watching Anthony do a build guide with proper cable management in a $20 case was very pleasant.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

mewse posted:

Watching Anthony do a build guide with proper cable management in a $20 case was very pleasant.

This was honestly great because he clearly loving knows what he's doing and he did it in a pretty fun and amusing way even though the choice of case was absolutely atrocious and probably choked the gently caress out of thermals but oh well.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah it is kinda arguable you're actually ahead on price to performance, but I was impressed with that one. Lots of little tips people don't think about and friendly delivery.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Steve from Gamers Nexus paid Linus Media Group a visit and did a behind-the-scenes video on how they organize their video production pipeline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOBFu-mYpw

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah it is kinda arguable you're actually ahead on price to performance, but I was impressed with that one. Lots of little tips people don't think about and friendly delivery.

his delivery should improve over time but that just might be him being bad at reading the prompter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They've done a roast of Linus? Do I even want to click into it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

It’s a discount imitation of a Comedy Central roast, it’s kinda funny

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Apparently they didn’t mic the audience so it’s super awkward lol

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Combat Pretzel posted:

His wife is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AQFQMeOAig&t=2363s

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Wirth1000 posted:

Apparently they didn’t mic the audience so it’s super awkward lol

I think that makes it even better. Makes it seem like they couldn't find enough people who even know who Linus is, so they had to get an audience full of confused hobos to listen to people roast him.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thanks to LGR I now know that the strange staccato cadence of the 'default' text to speech voice in the 90s was actually just how the guy who made it talked. I had always assumed it was a software limitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyDanCpMwG0

Holy gently caress he's changed a lot!