Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I somewhat see eggs + ketchup as a processed fanqie chao dan (scrambled eggs stir fried with tomatoes) which I freaking love, but I usually cba to actually make any kind of omelette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

kirtar posted:

I somewhat see eggs + ketchup as a processed fanqie chao dan (scrambled eggs stir fried with tomatoes) which I freaking love, but I usually cba to actually make any kind of omelette.

+1 chinese stir fried tomatos/eggs were a staple, that poo poo's so good

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hello thread!

While visiting family at Christmastime, I picked up a box of S&B Golden Curry roux to see if it was any good. It was, but I had a problem - they don't sell it anywhere near where I live! So I figured I should try my hand at making my own curry from scratch.

I started with this roux, subbing in 1 part cumin and 1/4 part allspice for the garam masala. This was my very first time making roux, and I was nervous about it - I know it's easy to burn a roux and ruin it completely. But I put the burner on medium-low heat, kept stirring with my silicone spatula (the better to scrape stuff off the bottom of the pan with), and eventually it was passably brown. Then I added the spices and stirred them together, and I think I heated it long enough. The mixture had the appearance and consistency of wet sand - if I hadn't known from the pictures that it was supposed to be that way, I'd have thrown it out!

I put the roux aside, then started making the rest of the curry. This was the easy part: I sautéed a chopped onion in a saucepan, then added a bunch of water, a chopped potato, carrot coins, and a block of tofu to the pan. I bought it all to a boil, then covered and simmered it for 15 minutes. Once the veggies were tender, I turned the heat off, added the roux, and stirred it all together for a few minutes. I served it all on top of some brown basmati rice, though I did have some Japanese sticky rice I could have used instead. If I'd had chicken or pork, I probably would have left the tofu out and made panko-crusted meat as a side. The soft tofu breaks into little crumbles pretty much immediately when you add it to the pan and stir it, and doesn't change the curry's consistency much. Tofu curry seems like a good way to "sneak" vegetable proteins into your diet.

The curry tasted fine, but somehow it lacked the flavor the S&B roux had. Is it just because my roux didn't have MSG, or is there some spice combination that would work better for me? Did I mess up the roux after all? I'm not a very experienced cook, so I can't really judge these things for myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 5, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

More curry powder, and garam masala instead of your sub will help. I'd also use regular cayenne or chili powder instead of the white pepper, that makes a major flavor difference.

How dark did you cook your roux? Darker roux = nuttier, richer flavor although less thickening, and that's part of why S&B's blocks are dark brown. I'd probably shoot for medium brown roux for this.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Same. I use copious amounts of hot curry and garam masala - though I'm a little picky about the garam masala because some of them are too heavy on coriander - and use cayenne for heat. Then, honestly, a bit of MSG just to make it extra good.

I like to use a darker roux and compensate by making my rice a little sticker.

vvv oh yeah, I use lots of potatoes too, can't believe I forgot about that :D

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 5, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The starch from the potatoes helps too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not to be a spoilsport, but you can also order the curry roux through amazon pretty easily. it's what i've started to do for a lot of my staple japanese ingredients

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

not to be a spoilsport, but you can also order the curry roux through amazon pretty easily. it's what i've started to do for a lot of my staple japanese ingredients

I also buy curry roux on Amazon in bulk and it's great

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Thank you all for the advice. I'll have to source some garam masala - yet another thing my local grocer doesn't stock :( - for the text time I try to make this.

Liquid Communism posted:

How dark did you cook your roux? Darker roux = nuttier, richer flavor although less thickening, and that's part of why S&B's blocks are dark brown. I'd probably shoot for medium brown roux for this.

It was definitely a white roux, it had that whitish color and sandy texture. I'll have to take your advice about a darker roux.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I may give up and do that eventually, but not yet! Ganbaru!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I ran across https://www.tokyocentral.com recently and there's a lot of things on there for significantly cheaper than Amazon, it's a good place to check too. Shipping may kill the difference depending on what you're buying, it's half off if you buy over $60 and free for over $120.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Grand Fromage posted:

I ran across https://www.tokyocentral.com recently and there's a lot of things on there for significantly cheaper than Amazon, it's a good place to check too. Shipping may kill the difference depending on what you're buying, it's half off if you buy over $60 and free for over $120.

I've had a bad experience with Tokyo Central in the past with an extremely late order and not great customer service, but I only tried them the one time and they did say they were exceptionally busy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Did you eventually get the order? I haven't bought from them yet, but I saw a whole bunch of stuff on there I want and can't find locally or on Amazon so am planning to soon.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Did you eventually get the order? I haven't bought from them yet, but I saw a whole bunch of stuff on there I want and can't find locally or on Amazon so am planning to soon.

It was a week (I think? I do remember it was an unreasonably long time from what I was promised) behind and I asked them to cancel and they refused until I was more firm a second time.

Non Poster
Jan 26, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

I may give up and do that eventually, but not yet! Ganbaru!

I'm pretty sure 99% of Japanese people buy pre-made and making it from scratch isn't really a thing, so there's no shame in it. Its basically Japan's Chicken Tikka as far as it being traditional dish.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I know that, but I still want the roux-making practice.

As a follow-up, I did have a bunch of leftover curry and found it more flavorful after it spent a night in the fridge. That's not surprising for a stew-type dish, though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you make your own, you can significantly cut, or completely remove the saturated fat and heroic amount of sodium. Pre-made curry rue is not very good for you, but I guess it's fine, because the SA "saturated fat and high sodium is actually good" crew can tell you otherwise.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Nutrition science is fake I say as I shovel curry into my mouth regularly

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
Do you guys freeze curry? I like to portion and freeze but it doesn't freeze that well. The water seperates, and then I can stir some of it back into the rice but its not great.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've never had any roux thickened sauce freeze particularly well.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My wife bought a bunch of noodle types from an Asian market and got a pack of somen noodles. As far as I can tell they're served cold with a dashi broth or similar to dip in. Is there anything else I can do with these?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They can go in soups too. Somen aren't great frankly.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Grand Fromage posted:

They can go in soups too. Somen aren't great frankly.

This is blasphemy and somen are great.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

My wife bought a bunch of noodle types from an Asian market and got a pack of somen noodles. As far as I can tell they're served cold with a dashi broth or similar to dip in. Is there anything else I can do with these?

In summer we eat somen a few times a week because it's dead simple and refreshing. Just boil for a minute or so, drain the water then throw on a plate. Fill a little dipping bowl with mentsuyu diluted to your preferred concentration. You can add some flavor to the mentsuyu, like a shichimi togarashi mix, or sliced aromatics like myoga (crunchy mild Japanese ginger). Traditionally, mixing up the flavorings to the dip is the main variation point.

You could also find some food-safe long tubes, slice them into long crescent moons, set up a series of chutes, put a hose at the top and a bucket at the end of the last tube then try your hand at backyard nagashi somen. Invite some friends and have a ball.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 9, 2019

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Curry Update!

I made curry twice these past two weeks. I took the thread's advice about using real garam masala and cooking the roux longer and it's so much better this way! Thanks, thread!

A friend was nice enough to make me a garam masala blend. On a friend's advice, I added ginger, sugar, and soy sauce to last week's curry, and added red wine instead of ginger to this week's. I plan to try other Japan-approved Secret Ingredients, such as grated apples, honey, yogurt, cocoa, and instant coffee, in future iterations. Maybe not all of them at once, though!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Mongoose posted:

Just boil for a minute or soa ball.

This is the real strength of somen: it takes next to no time to cook.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Super simple but I haven't made these in a while and I forgot how much I like the saltiness.

Crossposting from the dinnerthread, realized I still had some medium grain rice and nori around, so it's onigiri for breakfast.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Liquid Communism posted:

Crossposting from the dinnerthread, realized I still had some medium grain rice and nori around, so it's onigiri for breakfast.

What do you prefer as far as fillings? I just found a recipe online for umeboshi onigiri but I haven't made it to the Japanese grocery to pick up ingredients.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I've only had umeboshi filled onigiri once, but it was pretty good. Sour and salty together is a fun flavor profile.

Personally, I like salmon when I can get it, or tuna. The ones I made today are plain, and plain with shiso furikake.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You can put pretty much anything in there. Umeboshi, salmon, tuna and mayo are the common classics but I'll throw in whatever leftovers I have sitting around. Chopped up takuan, jeyuk bokkeum, gyudon beef, just a wad of good miso, whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Leftover curry meat, chile verde pork, egg salad, those weird red cabbage pickles you need to use up...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anybody gotten into the dark arts of making ramen? I have tried the only place near me with it and... I need to start learning to make it myself, apparently. Tonkotsu is primarily what I'm into and where I'd start.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Start here... if your first attempt tastes flat, try a little MSG :D

Eventually you'll get there

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/rich-and-creamy-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-from-scratch-recipe.html

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

totalnewbie posted:

Start here... if your first attempt tastes flat, try a little MSG :D

Eventually you'll get there

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/rich-and-creamy-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-from-scratch-recipe.html

That sounds like a massive pain in the rear end, and I'm glad I have no reason to do it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

That sounds like a massive pain in the rear end, and I'm glad I have no reason to do it.

It IS a massive pain in the rear end. The chashu isn't so hard and turned out really well on my first try, so I'm going to rate it as fool-proof. The eggs take a few tries.

I never bother cleaning the tonsoku because like gently caress, I ain't got that kind of time.

The rest of it though... isn't TOO bad because it's really just a lot of waiting. I really need to get something cauldron-sized though, because half the pot ends up being taken up by the stuff you end up throwing away.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I imagine chicken or dashi based ramens would be a lot less work, might try those first.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
The Ivan Ramen cook book is a good place to start. He just takes his shio recipe and breaks it into it's component parts so you can try one at a time and not get overwhelmed.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.reddit.com/r/ramen/comments/2l2eas/here_it_is_the_granddaddy_of_them_all_homemade_18/

this is a pretty good reddit post, i use both it and the serious eats collection of recipes as references

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, Ramen Lord's recipes are loving legit.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Tonkotsu takes 30 hours. You aren't getting close to 6 on the refractometer in 18 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Tonkotsu takes 30 hours. You aren't getting close to 6 on the refractometer in 18 hours.

Give his recipe a try and let us know if it doesn't work for you. All I know is that it did for me.