Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Epicurius posted:

I would, but I don't think any of them post to this board. Star Trek is terrible at making alien aliens.

But they have a clitoris on their forehead and they have gorgeous and remarkable alien cities*

*not shown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Cities Not Appearing Here were human cities

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

The Cities Not Appearing Here were human cities

Or one of the same couple paintings over and over

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I have heard they are making a Top Gun 2, so maybe it's time to remedy my lack.

Top Gun: Maverick.

It was supposed to be out this year, but the release was delayed because Tom Cruise is insane and insisted on learning how to actually fly a jet.

This is not a joke.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I saw Profit and Lace and He Without Sin as a kid, but for now it's still the Storyteller for me for how boring it is. Move Along Home was at least silly enough to be entertaining, bouffant aliens with triangles painted on their face and all. Kept thinking I should know the lead alien from somewhere.

It's amazing what an utter delight Garak is from his first appearance. I wonder if I can find that book Andrew Robinson wrote about him.

It's funny, as a kid I filed Garak away as a character not interested in relationships, which made it jarring when he and Ziyal(?) became a thing. I think 'not interested in relationships' was how I interpreted 'celibate TV gay' (though apparently Robinson played Garak as pansexual). It's too bad TV wasn't ready for that yet as it would've made sense for Trill to be pansexual too.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 4, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Top Gun: Maverick.

It was supposed to be out this year, but the release was delayed because Tom Cruise is insane and insisted on learning how to actually fly a jet.

This is not a joke.

Henry Cavill couldn't do the halo jump in the last Mission Impossible with Tom and had to be added in digitally, generally because his casting occurred well after Tom began training for it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Henry Cavill couldn't do the halo jump in the last Mission Impossible with Tom and had to be added in digitally, generally because his casting occurred well after Tom began training for it.

I don't believe this is true at all. Top Gun 2 didn't even begin shooting until last summer, and then it was halted because of Cruise's bugnuts "I want to fly a fighter" demand; they re-started filming a few weeks ago.

It's more likely that Cavill couldn't do the HALO jump because Cruise is insane and demanded to do it himself, whereas Cavill could get green-screened in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

davidspackage posted:

I saw Profit and Lace and He Without Sin as a kid, but for now it's still the Storyteller for me for how boring it is. Move Along Home was at least silly enough to be entertaining, bouffant aliens with triangles painted on their face and all. Kept thinking I should know the lead alien from somewhere.

It's amazing what an utter delight Garak is from his first appearance. I wonder if I can find that book Andrew Robinson wrote about him.

It's funny, as a kid I filed Garak away as a character not interested in relationships, which made it jarring when he and Ziyal(?) became a thing. I think 'not interested in relationships' was how I interpreted 'celibate TV gay' (though apparently Robinson played Garak as pansexual). It's too bad TV wasn't ready for that yet as it would've made sense for Trill to be pansexual too.

I figured Garak was more 'Kid, I'm old enough to be your father and know him all too well', though I'm not sure how of that I remembered or correctly interpreted. Like he took her under his wing a bit because she's lonely as hell and the only other Cardassian around he can talk to, but was uncomfortable with her schoolgirl crush.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I figured Garak was more 'Kid, I'm old enough to be your father and know him all too well', though I'm not sure how of that I remembered or correctly interpreted. Like he took her under his wing a bit because she's lonely as hell and the only other Cardassian around he can talk to, but was uncomfortable with her schoolgirl crush.

At one point Garak does set her straight and basically say ‘I’m only associating with you because you’re the only other Cardassian on the station and you seem to like the attention’, but as with all things Garak it’s tough to tell how much of that is a lie. It seems pretty clear, especially after she dies, that Garak really did have feelings for her but wanted to keep his distance to protect her.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
you can also feel about a person you don't want to date, a neighbor's little kid died like a year ago and I felt like poo poo even though I barely interacted with him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hehehe jake and ziyal would have been hilarious though, imagine sisko having to choose between supporting his son and the threat of becoming in-laws with dukat.

dukat's already booked tickets to new orleans to meet everyone and hang out and eat sisko's dad's food

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Imagine 22 year old Molly bringing home a Cardassian husband

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He better learn to like Japanese cooking

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gotta photoshop Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Miles is visibly angry.

"So. Rarek. You used to milk Catdassians?"

"Yes, sir."

"Could you milk me? I have nipples."

"MILES," Keiko rasps.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I don't believe this is true at all. Top Gun 2 didn't even begin shooting until last summer, and then it was halted because of Cruise's bugnuts "I want to fly a fighter" demand; they re-started filming a few weeks ago.

It's more likely that Cavill couldn't do the HALO jump because Cruise is insane and demanded to do it himself, whereas Cavill could get green-screened in.

Dang, I wonder how much that's costing them. Fighter jet time is wicked expensive.

On the other hand, at least that's actually relevant to his character, as opposed to contorting a movie around getting a starship captain into a position where he's driving a dune buggy in the desert. :v:

Pick posted:

hehehe jake and ziyal would have been hilarious though, imagine sisko having to choose between supporting his son and the threat of becoming in-laws with dukat.

dukat's already booked tickets to new orleans to meet everyone and hang out and eat sisko's dad's food

Even just getting the four of them together for dinner at DS9 would have been funny.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

xerxus posted:

Apparently cast breakdowns for the Picard Show is out.

Edit: Nevermind, the source doesn't seem that solid, and there's no confirmation from other outlets.

E2: Here it is anyway, for those curious.

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2019/03/01/picard-series-character-update/

I'm not finding anything particularly clickbaity on the website, but it's still an obscure outlet.

We're getting whisperings of confirmation from the above.

https://twitter.com/ScottCollura/status/1102693313075965958?s=19

https://twitter.com/ScottCollura/status/1102697082052374528?s=19

I'm looking forward to K'Bar.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Keep in mind that a lot of time, the casting process features fake names and backstories to get actors a feel for the kind of role they are auditioning for but not the exact elements of their character.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh good, one of the first casting announcements will be to make sure that loving Section 31 is here to poo poo up this show too.

I wonder how long until there's a scene where Picard objects to Alana and S31's enhanced interrogation techniques but then relents and acknowledges that sometimes other people's paths have more shades of grey than his, and never once brings up the lovely weekend he spend with David Warner that one time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Starfleet intelligence isn't the same thing as section 31

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I was hoping for a few familiar faces. :smith:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Look into your heart of hearts and say that you really believe she won't be from Section 31. Go ahead.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol star trick has no soul anymore

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The_Doctor posted:

I was hoping for a few familiar faces. :smith:

maybe spock will show up

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

S04E03: People are treating Seven of Nine like somebody from a Communist immigrant to America from the Soviet Union instead of somebody who got bitten by zombies at a young age and then got cured, and I think it's a case of the show trying out a metaphor that doesn't really make any sense as far as how characters react to it at face value. It reminds me how, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer's first two seasons, Angel seemed nearly a metaphor for a boyfriend with a checkered or criminal past who started acting nice and great then turned abusive again. On the surface of it, he'd lost his restored soul due to magic, and characters were treating his normal soul-having self as culpable for all the murders done while in that state. In either case, that kind of revenge or revulsion doesn't really have a rational basis to begin with anyway, though

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 5, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m a little confused as to how you would do an alcoholic character in the future where presumably the issue could be cured by science?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

It’s space alcohol, not human alcohol.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m a little confused as to how you would do an alcoholic character in the future where presumably the issue could be cured by science?

[Alex Kurtzman voice]
"It's pretty simple. You're fired." [turns to head writer] "How does Patrick feel about Picard having a coke habit?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have them grow up outside the Federation, or in some fringe Maquis colony that doesn't have access to all the luxuries available on more developed Federation worlds, maybe?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Why can't my space friends be well adjusted anymore?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Was there ever any explicit mention of why synthehol hasn't replaced alcohol completely? No hangover, no dependency, and you can snap yourself out of the drunkiness by sheer force of will.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

FlamingLiberal posted:

We have anti-alcoholism medication treatment right now that people can't/won't take, and the Federation has never been shown to have perfect medicine or therapy. Like Picard's heart, or Barkley being in therapy for a decade (?) and still barely coping with life when we see him again in Voyager.
Federation people have been shown to turn to drugs several times- T'Pol with the trellium and the kid captain from the USS Valiant with his space adderall.
Trek has never shown that they can fix that part of human nature, especially if the person doesn't want to change.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scudworth posted:

We have anti-alcoholism medication treatment right now that people can't/won't take

Eh, let's not get too hasty. Naltrexone's long-term success rate, even when patients are fully compliant with taking their pills, is still only around 15 percent, last I read. And Antabuse has been essentially debunked by therapists due to its negative reinforcement effect (making people go "I don't want to drink because I'll get sick," as opposed to "I don't want to drink because it is ruining my life"). Jury's still out on Campral, but I know for a fact it didn't work for me and instead just gave me massive mood swings back before I got sober.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drone posted:

Was there ever any explicit mention of why synthehol hasn't replaced alcohol completely? No hangover, no dependency, and you can snap yourself out of the drunkiness by sheer force of will.
Because 9/11 taught us that everything will be bad forever and the only choice is to grimly repeat the same behavior over and over again until you die, having ruined everything.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

Because 9/11 taught us that everything will be bad forever and the only choice is to grimly repeat the same behavior over and over again until you die, having ruined everything.

This is a silly take when even in TNG era stuff synthehol was often basically treated as way crappier than real alcohol.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Give me a bottle and a motherfucking cup so me and the boys can get hosed up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How can you resist the lure of something that makes you feel strange but also good?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just a bunch of elephants on a pachyderm star cruiser, rolling around in rotten amarula fruits as their antimatter engines ply the empty light-years between the stars

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Why can't my space friends be well adjusted anymore?

It's pretty bad when the knockoff show featuring explicitly not totally well adjusted characters, looks like a ship full of saints and paragons compared to the current actual Star Trek shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The pee corner is looking pretty good right about now