Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kudaros posted:

I hate to ask what may be a simplistic question, but is there like a glossary of terms describing the various roles and components of an IT 'department' of an organization? I went from academia to data science in industry and I'm getting a feel for many of the relevant bits, but then I look at job listings at, e.g., Splunk, and I get the sense that simply understanding this might make me better at developing my current role.

Probably not but if you list off the ones you don't know we can probably put it in non-bullshit terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

KidDynamite posted:

Had a phonecall with an internal interviewer that ended in those questions that determine if the actual hiring manager will look at your resume. The questions asked were open ended and also worded terribly so I had no idea what the gently caress was going on.

Here's an example. "What method would you override to find the root view controller?" There is no method overriding required for this. The answer is UIApplication.sharedApplication().keyWindow?.rootViewController. I said "I wouldn't override anything I would use this to find it" She tells me that's wrong and asks if I've ever heard of loadView. Which I explained is what you would do if you were creating a navigation UI programmatically to set something as the root, but of course that doesn't mean poo poo and I won't get a call.

What am I even supposed to do there?

Be glad you're not working some place that asks candidates questions like that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

Probably not but if you list off the ones you don't know we can probably put it in non-bullshit terms

there can't be one, peeps make up bullshit too fast and the situation changes even faster than the words. there was a specific instance where you had a specific failure of the vocabulary, or a few: you need to talk about those

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kudaros posted:

I hate to ask what may be a simplistic question, but is there like a glossary of terms describing the various roles and components of an IT 'department' of an organization? I went from academia to data science in industry and I'm getting a feel for many of the relevant bits, but then I look at job listings at, e.g., Splunk, and I get the sense that simply understanding this might make me better at developing my current role.
one good starting point is the definition of an 'IT department' - in my experience, the IT department are the people who run and support the coampny's computers. they manage employee accounts, they staff the help desk, they buy laptops and monitors, they architect and administer the network, they set the email retention policies, and so on. most companies have an IT department but they are almost always focused on providing computing services to the rest of the company

the people who develop the software and services that the company sells to outside customers and clients are usually referred to as the 'Engineering department'. these are the actual programmers and developers and product managers of the companys products (assuming it is a tech company)

both 'Engineering' and 'IT' are part of the 'Technology' group and they report to the chief technology officer (CTO), who in turn reports to the CEO

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kudaros posted:

To name a few
  • Tech support - the people you shout at when your windows isn't working
  • Ops - the people who order your windows
  • Security - the people who decide what version of windows you will be using
  • Sysadmins - the people who change your windows password. these guys also know your browsing habits, so be nice to them.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

FMguru posted:

both 'Engineering' and 'IT' are part of the 'Technology' group and they report to the chief technology officer (CTO), who in turn reports to the CEO
yeah keep in mind that working in the it group at say, microsoft, could be radically different from working in the engineering group. i worked for the it org at redhat and was really unhappy because where i really wanted to be was the engineering org.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

one good starting point is the definition of an 'IT department' - in my experience, the IT department are the people who run and support the coampny's computers. they manage employee accounts, they staff the help desk, they buy laptops and monitors, they architect and administer the network, they set the email retention policies, and so on. most companies have an IT department but they are almost always focused on providing computing services to the rest of the company

the people who develop the software and services that the company sells to outside customers and clients are usually referred to as the 'Engineering department'. these are the actual programmers and developers and product managers of the companys products (assuming it is a tech company)

this is how programmers think but it's almost never how businesses are organised

"technology" and "IT" are exactly the same thing from upper management's perspective, and they often have the same reporting chain

you are higher in the pecking order than the dude who fixes your laptop, but your work is more differentiated in value than in kind.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

working in the it group at say, microsoft

no don't

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I dont have a job title. Which is to say they offered me figgies and bennies to do help desk, infrastructure, inventory, and some security under the watchful eye of a super senior dude and the senior dude told me to make up a title.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
I work at a place where the software development people are "IT" and "install windows, bring you a mouse, manage the servers, spy on the employees email" people are called something else, and they don't have the same reporting chain.

There really isn't any consistency across organizations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Got 4 loving on-sites coming up and I'm trying to keep cool about it.

First one is with Blue Origin (who I'll call out by name only because I mentioned it by name earlier in the thread), the next is with a self driving car startup, the third with a large online retailer and the fourth with a smaller risk management company.

This is gonna be a miserable two weeks but hopefully at the end of it I'll have at least one offer, ideally more...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Defenestrategy posted:

I dont have a job title. Which is to say they offered me figgies and bennies to do help desk, infrastructure, inventory, and some security under the watchful eye of a super senior dude and the senior dude told me to make up a title.

pick the best title out of the ones that apply to you

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gazpacho posted:

I bet ibm is a great place to work for anyone who wants to be regularly pulled onto a vp’s project to build something, anything that uses the latest buzzwords he read about in Fortune

im catching up with the thread but just wanted to say this exact thing happened to a fellow fresh-from-college hire that came on the same time as me.
it was a buzzwordy publicly-facing ui (angular) to a product that was so ratchet it didn't even use a DB for storage, it was java objects serialized to text files.
even though it was a public facing site made for PR, no one ever visited or talked about it outside of IBM yet it was talked up endlessly. years later they updated the UI some more and added Watson (tm) branding.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ibm employee, sobbing: please sir, you can't just call everything we do watson
ceo: *points to break room coffee machine* watson(r).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

you forgot a link
https://www.ibm.com/blogs/internet-of-things/2017/07/17/case-cognitive-coffee/

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

It's like someone came up with a list of the worst possible design decisions you could make and a manager mistook it for a product spec.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

How does this exist but SmartPipe doesn't?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

jesus loving christ

what has the world come to

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Defenestrategy posted:

super senior dude and the senior dude told me to make up a title.
Last time this happened to me I requested "Viceroy of the New World"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ShadowHawk posted:

Last time this happened to me I requested "Viceroy of the New World"

this came up at the office once and i said i'd ask for Resident Curmudgeon (or Curmudgeon in Residence, not sure)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
First in-person interview tomorrow for the current funemployment stint.

:ohdear:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Defenestrategy posted:

paging the bsd boys

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

this came up at the office once and i said i'd ask for Resident Curmudgeon (or Curmudgeon in Residence, not sure)

i would like to be called señor developer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

my latest interview is today as well and i'm already dying of nervousness and imposter syndrome like 4 hours beforehand

may we both survive the process and come out the other side, sigh, gainfully employed

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

:same:

Ciaphas posted:

i'm already dying of nervousness and imposter syndrome

also :same:

At least my interview tomorrow is at like, 7:45am (ugh the team is going to think that was MY idea), so I won't have much time to panic about it in the morning... gonna be tough sleeping tonight though.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Rex-Goliath posted:

yes and it will definitely help you pick out jobs and roles.

industry is all about jargon, and it's slightly different from academic jargon in the same field, always.

knowing the correct industry jargon to have on your resume/linkedin will absolutely help your resume rise to the top during the initial stages. knowing the right jargon will help you in first round interviews where you ust establish that you're speaking the same language and you won't have to explain yourself as much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ADINSX posted:

:same:

also :same:

At least my interview tomorrow is at like, 7:45am (ugh the team is going to think that was MY idea), so I won't have much time to panic about it in the morning... gonna be tough sleeping tonight though.

yeah i didn't sleep so great either--enough, but i'm not at my best

caffeine, protein, and probably :420: to relax a little until then, if I'm totally honest

stupid brain

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The trick I always used before a big interview was taking a day off before to write out questions and having half a bottle of wine to help me sleep

Another thing I've learned -- Always be casually interviewing, even if you don't need a job. Interviews are a lot easier once your answers become rote and the interview itself isn't a Culminating Experience of some sort

This goes double if you work in an At Will state. Might as well use that poo poo-for-brains policy to your advantage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

this is not an exaggeration in the slightest

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It went pretty well, I guess my current plan of applying for NOC Jock roles (which I'm well experienced in and qualified at) versus Sys Admin roles (which are a little bit more of a stretch for my resume) is paying dividends.

I'm thinking that having a job where I can two-thirds/three-quarters rear end it rather than somewhere I'd have to try hard is going to be better for me if I want to get through the lovely masters program I'm starting in the summer?

:shrug:

E: Would be an opportunity to janitor embedded Linux too, maybe?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 6, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

asking my interviewer for PTO deets like the OP suggests seems like an extremely forward question to ask, but I'm coming up dry for :decorum: phrasings of the question that don't miss the point

(ed) i like the 'most challenging aspect' one though, if only because it lets me lead in with mine being the lack of internet at last job

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 6, 2019

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i thought my onsite went good but not great, and the resulting recruiter mentions application status and next steps but notably not “we’d like to move forward” and it’s killing me not knowing what that means. i assume :rip:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ciaphas posted:

asking my interviewer for PTO deets like the OP suggests seems like an extremely forward question to ask, but I'm coming up dry for :decorum: phrasings of the question that don't miss the point

ask about actual vacations they’ve taken (when and how long)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

raminasi posted:

i thought my onsite went good but not great, and the resulting recruiter mentions application status and next steps but notably not “we’d like to move forward” and it’s killing me not knowing what that means. i assume :rip:

It means they're interviewing other people and seeing how that goes before picking their faves. You're still in the running in all likelihood

Ciaphas posted:

(ed) i like the 'most challenging aspect' one though, if only because it lets me lead in with mine being the lack of internet at last job

Don't ask directly about benefits or pay during an interview, they will tell you about them whenever they've decided they want you. You want to keep them in the dark about your expectations as long as possible so they're invested once you've wowed them enough to spend money on you. If you simply must know, raminasi's advice holds true. Ask about anecdotal experiences, it gets you information without making it look like you're pumping them for raw information (and sometimes they'll take the hint and cough up the policy info)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Not a Children posted:

It means they're interviewing other people and seeing how that goes before picking their faves. You're still in the running in all likelihood

unless their recruiter flat-out lied to me, their hiring pipeline is wide enough that that’s not how they work. supposedly, the hiring committee met yesterday to give a thumbs up or down, and this sure didn’t read like an “up” email.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

raminasi posted:

unless their recruiter flat-out lied to me, their hiring pipeline is wide enough that that’s not how they work. supposedly, the hiring committee met yesterday to give a thumbs up or down, and this sure didn’t read like an “up” email.
sounds like you were their second (or third) choice. theyre offering to their first choice right now - if that doesnt work out, theyll make you an offer, if it does work out youll get a "best wishes on your continued job search" email (or just be ghosted)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

FMguru posted:

sounds like you were their second (or third) choice. theyre offering to their first choice right now - if that doesnt work out, theyll make you an offer, if it does work out youll get a "best wishes on your continued job search" email (or just be ghosted)

they’re expanding like crazy, so there’s not just one, or two, or three roles to fill. and there are two more pre-offer administrative steps after this that they couldn’t conceivably be waiting on anyone else for between today and tomorrow morning when I actually talk to the guy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

raminasi posted:

they’re expanding like crazy, so there’s not just one, or two, or three roles to fill. and there are two more pre-offer administrative steps after this that they couldn’t conceivably be waiting on anyone else for between today and tomorrow morning when I actually talk to the guy.

Then you're n+1 where n is the number of roles they're looking to fill. However, if there are multiple offered roles then the chances one of their primary choices will turn them down increases so don't necessarily go and "spike their Tab with Drano" (as the kids say these days) just yet.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

raminasi posted:

What do you think you did poorly on? At least if they say no and don't offer any feedback (I've never had a "no" offer feedback) you have something to focus on improving on... The worst is when they pass and you think you did basically everything right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Schadenboner posted:

Then you're n+1 where n is the number of roles they're looking to fill. However, if there are multiple offered roles then the chances one of their primary choices will turn them down increases so don't necessarily go and "spike their Tab with Drano" (as the kids say these days) just yet.

this stops being true once n is large enough though, right? because the company needs to pipeline the process to actually get the hiring throughput they need. like, google doesn’t have an n; you go through the gauntlet and the hiring committee gives a go or no-go without respect to who actually needs what. and they described that part of their process as identical to google’s.

ADINSX posted:

What do you think you did poorly on? At least if they say no and don't offer any feedback (I've never had a "no" offer feedback) you have something to focus on improving on... The worst is when they pass and you think you did basically everything right.

my guess is some combination of:
  • needed too much handholding for the algorithm part
  • system design didn’t do good enough error handling
  • “behavioral” was too much of me just bitching about my current job, which I knew was a risk but I think underestimated its degree

he said they give feedback on “no’s” but ngl it won’t be fun to hear