Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Or can be horror with just the right tweaks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lakL731rV9w

Man I could do so much better than that with the material.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkVWuP_sO0

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just watched Jaxon X for the first time and I think I'm in love. That movie couldn't be more late 90's/early oughts if it tried to.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Popelmon posted:

I just watched Jaxon X for the first time and I think I'm in love. That movie couldn't be more late 90's/early oughts if it tried to.

Ditto - I love it when the "future" is incredibly dated. The entire movie looks like it should have been on TV Saturday afternoons after "Xena" and before "Relic Hunter."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Acht posted:

I watched The House That Jack Built.
I was absolutely captured by it. Dillon was fantastic, possibily one of the better performances of the year for me. I do not need to watch it again, because it really was the whole trip that took me a long, but what an experience.

It was definitely one of those movies where a great lead performance drives everything, and I think it's worth seeing for that alone, but in a lot of ways it feels wasted in the end. I don't think the narrative format worked in it's favor, it made it really hard to get attached to any of the other characters, although I suppose that was probably the point.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Liberal Idiot posted:

Ditto - I love it when the "future" is incredibly dated. The entire movie looks like it should have been on TV Saturday afternoons after "Xena" and before "Relic Hunter."

The set design, the props and the costumes are out of this world. And the whole fight sequence with the android couldn't have been any cheesier :allears:

And of course: "Hell you weren't alive during the Microsoft conflict, we were beating each other with our own limbs!"

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 5, 2019

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Liberal Idiot posted:

Considering which studio they filmed it at, Jason X may literally have had staff overlap with Relic Hunter.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
David Lynch’s A Goofy Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7baCckh-XE

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Basebf555 posted:

It was definitely one of those movies where a great lead performance drives everything, and I think it's worth seeing for that alone, but in a lot of ways it feels wasted in the end. I don't think the narrative format worked in it's favor, it made it really hard to get attached to any of the other characters, although I suppose that was probably the point.

That's how I experienced it as well. Often that's a miss for me (detachment), but this time it really worked.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
The ending was just so tonally different that it really soured the experience for me. If those scenes had been interspersed throughout instead of just the voice it would have been a lot better in my opinion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I live in Chicago so it was a lot of fun to watch. Like 'I ATE AT THAT RESTAURANT THE WOLF DESTROYED!"

It's just a horror movie absolute fact that any movie set in your home city or where you live is just a little bit better because of it .

Prove me wrong.

As someone from NYC I can say this is 100% fact.

Speaking of which and the discussion about how so many comedic films could easily be horror movies with just some slight changes, that reminds me of The Driller Killer. Replace any talk of paintings with talk about standup comedy and replace the drillings with some slap bass as people look exasperated and it's literally an episode of Seinfeld. "HE TOUCHED MY HAND ELAINE! MY HAND!"

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
As someone from Toronto it's funny to see your home city in movies standing in for every other city.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
In The Long Kiss Goodnight they ostensibly drive through my hometown, but to be fair it could have been shot literally anywhere in the northeast and you'd never know the difference.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Stink Billyums posted:

Considering which studio they filmed it at, Jason X may literally have had staff overlap with Relic Hunter.

That's fantastic, of course it did. I love that "cheap Canadian sci-fi" is an aesthetic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1102946870903615488

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

I like how movies set in NYC always seem to have scenes set in alleys, like you can't walk anywhere without having to cut down a dark alley. I'm not sure I've even actually seen one like that in reality, much less had to walk through it for any reason.

(I don't actually live there I just visit a lot)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What do they mean, once every 90 years, we do this every year.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Biomute posted:

What do they mean, once every 90 years, we do this every year.

They do it every year, but it only actually works once every 90 years.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

drat that's a great cast and it looks beautiful. I'm all about horror that's set in broad daylight.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I like how movies set in NYC always seem to have scenes set in alleys, like you can't walk anywhere without having to cut down a dark alley. I'm not sure I've even actually seen one like that in reality, much less had to walk through it for any reason.

I read an article about that. There is apparently exactly one alley in NYC, and every movie set in NYC that needs an alley scene films in that exact same alley.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Stink Billyums posted:

As someone from Toronto it's funny to see your home city in movies standing in for every other city.

One thing that's always hilarious to me is when something is set in NYC, and they do film like, a few seconds of it actually in NYC on location and then EVERYTHING else is an aggressively inaccurate set or in Toronto or whatever. Like in the TMNT movie they're in Chinatown on Canal Street for real for like one shot where they walk into the subway, and then they walk into a subway that looks like nothing in NYC. Like what was even the point of that?

Also speaking of which, extremely relevant:

http://www.scoutingny.com/the-nyc-filming-locations-of-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-the-good-one/

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

Track of the Moonbeast was filmed out by me and I've been to almost all the locations seen in the movie. The hospital's been since merged into one of the larger ones downtown, and the museum's still in UNM. Everything else, building's still there but different business. Only location I've not been able to figure out is at the end when they go past a street sign and I can't make out the cross streets to know where it is. With how much the city's built up since the movie, for all I know it could be out in the boonies or where the Sam's Club is now.

Yeah...getting some old school Wicker Man vibes from this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I read an article about that. There is apparently exactly one alley in NYC, and every movie set in NYC that needs an alley scene films in that exact same alley.

haha nice. I'm going to be there in a few weeks and will have time to kill, maybe I'll see if I can hunt it down

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

There's an upcoming movie that I was really excited about, that's like a mockumentary about a cursed film? It's shown at festivals but hasn't had a wide release yet... Anthrum or Arthum or something? Someone please remind me what the gently caress it's called.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IM PUMPED

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

My Twitter Account posted:

There's an upcoming movie that I was really excited about, that's like a mockumentary about a cursed film? It's shown at festivals but hasn't had a wide release yet... Anthrum or Arthum or something? Someone please remind me what the gently caress it's called.

Antrum maybe?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Thaaaaat's it. Thank you. I'm eagerly awaiting that coming out on video but there haven't been any updates :/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

When I was younger I remember cutting through alleys to be much more prevalent but that poo poo is locked down now.

I think the real reason is it makes it easy to transition from some actual location/establishing of someone entering one or accurate place to a set. Escape from New York and Highlander are great examples. When the Clancy Brown and Christopher Lambert first confront each other in an alley, Lambert is on location and Brown is in a set in London and it just about works, though it probably can't be unnoticed now. A lot of TV shows from outside the US do that too if the story takes them to NYC, like they'll film the characters walking around Midtown for real for like ten seconds and then cut to a huge backlot alley.

Fun location chat from that TMNT link I posted earlier, Raphael saves April from the foot clan in the same spot where The Warriors meet The Lizzies. Michael Jackson shot Bad there too and it's also where a lot of Taking of Pelham 123 was filmed. :3:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Thaaaaat's it. Thank you. I'm eagerly awaiting that coming out on video but there haven't been any updates :/

That one and Fury of the Demon I've been wanting to see something fierce.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hereditary was my pick for best film of the year last year so gently caress yeah

god Hereditary is so good

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hereditary was my pick for best film of the year last year so gently caress yeah

god Hereditary is so good

Weird way to spell Thoroughbreds but okay.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

For a while the Antrum filmmakers were releasing clips on YouTube (in the form of interviews about the film-within-a-film) but they stopped about a year ago. Here are the five that came out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJKA-uZaIXPL6DHdPpKLHyd2xJXh2VyLP

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah...getting some old school Wicker Man vibes from this.

Right? I’m going to try to not overhype this for myself but I’m definitely looking foreword to it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Beaten, but yeah it's Antrum. It seems to have done a festival run last year so I'm not sure when the video release is scheduled for.

http://brooklynhorrorfest.com/films/antrum/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Franchescanado posted:

Weird way to spell Thoroughbreds but okay.

THANK YOU.

I did like Hereditary a little more but Thoroughbreds fuckin' owns.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I argue Hereditary has the best second act of any movie ever

like, its the rawest and most honest and unflinching depiction of grief and trauma I have ever seen

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Neo Rasa posted:

THANK YOU.

I did like Hereditary a little more but Thoroughbreds fuckin' owns.

Hmm haven't seen Thoroughbreds yet. Just read the IMDB entry and that seems like my kind of thing.
Hereditary didn't do much for me.

Acht fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 5, 2019

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Everything A24 makes is great.

Watched Starry Eyes the other day and it was insanely good. It's another "movie about what it's like to be in the film industry" but it actually works this time. The effects and gore were very good and it was moody as hell. Trailor said it was like a combination of Lynch and Cronenberg and I was like "uh huh, we'll see" but it totally delivered. I think it's on shudder if you want to watch it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

haha nice. I'm going to be there in a few weeks and will have time to kill, maybe I'll see if I can hunt it down

That would be Cortlandt Alley near Chinatown. It's one of only a few large alleys in the city and the only one that's still a public street so it can be used for filming. There are still alleys in the city, but they're extremely tiny (like 4 or 5 feet wide) and are really just incidental gaps between buildings. On the other hand, Boston is loving alley city. The usual movie setting with a ton of dark alleyways fits Boston to a T.

Check when it's open and you can call to visit a museum inside an elevator shaft there!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

chitoryu12 posted:

That would be Cortlandt Alley near Chinatown. It's one of only a few large alleys in the city and the only one that's still a public street so it can be used for filming. There are still alleys in the city, but they're extremely tiny (like 4 or 5 feet wide) and are really just incidental gaps between buildings. On the other hand, Boston is loving alley city. The usual movie setting with a ton of dark alleyways fits Boston to a T.

Check when it's open and you can call to visit a museum inside an elevator shaft there!

You all might appreciate this listing:

https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/new-york/nycs-most-insane-abandoned-subway-stations

Also you should all check out the outstanding documentary Dark Days, about homeless society in abandoned parts of the NYC subway before they were cleared out in the late 90s:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/26/dark-days-marc-singer-new-york

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

You all might appreciate this listing:

https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/new-york/nycs-most-insane-abandoned-subway-stations

Also you should all check out the outstanding documentary Dark Days, about homeless society in abandoned parts of the NYC subway before they were cleared out in the late 90s:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/26/dark-days-marc-singer-new-york

Yeah, I've taken the train loop through the old City Hall station. It's as creepy as you would imagine, as you're often the only person in the car when it happens.