Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in about:config you can set media.autoplay.default to 1 in order to block automatic playback on all pages or set it to 2 to decide on a per domain basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How do you disable auto play for videos?

Open a new window, then in the address bar, type in about :config.

Say OK to the warning, and then...

Do a search for "autoplay" to narrow things down.

When you see "media.autoplay.default", double click on that, and change the value to "1" or "2".

"1" blocks all autoplaying videos.

"2" shows a little menu when an autoplaying video attempts to play, giving you the option of allowing it, or preventing it from autoplaying. With option "1", you can usually still click on the video to make it play, though.

"0" autoplays everything.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Weird. You used to be able to fully control that setting via the UI, but you can't anymore in the beta version of Firefox. The UI lets you set it to 0 or 1, but not 2 anymore.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yeah, and it's broken. It doesn't stop youtube or twitch from autoplaying, which both seem like pretty major sites you'd want to test on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you're on ESR v60 that setting does nothing and you still want media.autoplay.enabled, which when set to false stops youtube and everything else

astral
Apr 26, 2004

101 posted:

I feel like every sensible person knows that the average user isn't going to switch from Chrome unless something drastic happens. It's better to go after the power users that have positive connotations with FF

Something drastic, like a pop-up ad to switch on one of their favorite sites.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

astral posted:

Something drastic, like a pop-up ad to switch on one of their favorite sites.

or something like the biggest search engine, mail provider, and video platform in the world being made for and by the same company

astral
Apr 26, 2004

101 posted:

or something like the biggest search engine, mail provider, and video platform in the world being made for and by the same company

I doubt the average user even paid attention to that part of it, just that youtube said it would work better on this Chrome thing.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Truga posted:

the entire point of all these changes is to "attract a larger userbase" because chrome does it that way and they have all the users now so that must be the reason right

They should try adding banners on youtube and google search and google translate and gmail that recommend using firefox instead.

e: gently caress, beaten

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

xamphear posted:

Yeah, and it's broken. It doesn't stop youtube or twitch from autoplaying, which both seem like pretty major sites you'd want to test on.

Tried this on Firefox 66 beta - none of these config options affect YouTube and some other sites. Is a new option being worked on?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Was just about to ask, does this work on YouTube as well? Chrome has a similar flag in chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy and it doesn't work reliably, either.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I'm on Firefox 65 and with media.autoplay.default set to 2 nothing plays on its own, I have to click it first. That includes YouTube. This is on Windows and Android.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
This is my add-ons page. Completely useless, all of a sudden. I'm happy with my UI otherwise, any suggestions on how to fix?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ArcaneMan posted:

This is my add-ons page. Completely useless, all of a sudden. I'm happy with my UI otherwise, any suggestions on how to fix?

I see where your problem is, is running in incognito mode. Reset it by clicking on the . But be careful not to hit the button, that will make your entire firefox invisible.
Also do you really need an extension for ? I don't want to kinkshame, but c'mon man have some self-respect.

More seriously, have you updated the Userchrome package with customized UI that you're so happy with? You know the one that isn't an extension, so will to need to be constantly janitored yourself to keep it working? Get used to it.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
I'm not sure what you mean, but deleting userchrome.css resets the UI but doesn't fix the add-ons page.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ArcaneMan posted:

I'm not sure what you mean,

Is the thing that makes your tabbar below the toolbar not Classic CSS? Because extensions can't do that anymore.

The rest of my post was a sarcastic joke based on you showing a blank list of extensions and no other info. You've obviously installed a bunch of stuff, but what could it be?

quote:

but deleting userchrome.css resets the UI but doesn't fix the add-ons page.

also usercontent.css

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

More seriously, have you updated the Userchrome package with customized UI that you're so happy with? You know the one that isn't an extension, so will to need to be constantly janitored yourself to keep it working? Get used to it.

I've been ignoring the latest Firefox update because I'm about 99.999% sure it's going to break all the stuff I've added to my userchrome.css file.

:sigh:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been ignoring the latest Firefox update because I'm about 99.999% sure it's going to break all the stuff I've added to my userchrome.css file.

:sigh:

Close firefox, backup your profile folder (could be as simple as making a zip/rar), and test it out? Worst case scenario, you delete your profile folder and restore the backup.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

Klyith posted:

also usercontent.css

Thanks, turns out something with usercontent was the issue and clearing it fixed the problem. And I don't have any extensions that affect my toolbar order, its all userchrome.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Close firefox, backup your profile folder (could be as simple as making a zip/rar), and test it out? Worst case scenario, you delete your profile folder and restore the backup.

Yep, all borked.

I know it's because I have the Css modded to allow multi row tabs. So I'm going to have to see what I can find.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yep, all borked.

I know it's because I have the Css modded to allow multi row tabs. So I'm going to have to see what I can find.

Condolences, and best of luck.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Aaaaaand, we're back.

Reddit was all over this and there was already code on GitHub.

Thankfully I'm not the only person who loves multirow tabs.

Amazingly, the upgrade didn't even touch my multirow bookmarks or aything else. For modern Firefox, that's pretty much as painless as it gets.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Firefox always changes focus when I control+click or middle click a bookmark on the bookmarks bar. Is there a way to stop this? It doesn't seem to respect the "When you open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" checkbox in the Options page.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is SALR the only way to fix the "goto unread post" behavior?

Also the fonts look weird (I did the greasemonkey CSS override from forever ago on Chrome).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Phone posted:

Is SALR the only way to fix the "goto unread post" behavior?

Which behavior is that?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Firefox is getting better scroll anchoring soon, but for the moment: Yes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I close Firefox it is fullscreen usually. When I open Firefox it is usually in a smaller window.

What gives?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jokes posted:

When I close Firefox it is fullscreen usually. When I open Firefox it is usually in a smaller window.

What gives?

Most people wouldn't want it to stay fullscreen all the time, so it doesn't.

here you go

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Are we talking F11 fullscreen, or maximized window fullscreen?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maximized window, I guess I should have been more specific.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I have basically the opposite fullscreen problem; my Firefox is normally a smaller window, but if I exit Firefox while in F11 fullscreen it opens maximized next time. Then, if I un-maximize it, its regular size has become as large as it can get on the screen so I have to manually shrink it down.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I used to have that problem several years ago, but eventually it went away on its own so I can't say what fixed it. From a quick Google, try deleting xulstore.json?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/changes-toolbars-and-window-sizes-are-not-saved

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

jokes posted:

What gives?

Try checking the shortcut you use to start Firefox. On a Windows shortcut, you can right-click, Properties, and then there's a box named "Run", where you can set it to startup Maximized. At least on Windows 7.

Still, even though my shortcut is set to "Normal window", FF remembers that it's supposed to be maximized every time, but I don't know where that setting is saved.

Klyith posted:

Most people wouldn't want it to stay fullscreen all the time, so it doesn't.

here you go

Why people wouldn't want to run their main browser maximized all the time is beyond my understanding. :confused:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pilsner posted:

Why people wouldn't want to run their main browser maximized all the time is beyond my understanding. :confused:

An incredible amount of websites have just this very thin column of content with the surrounding areas being just a background (or ads if you're not running a blocker). Might as well shrink down the window so you can look at stuff to the side of it. Especially if you're not using multiple monitors.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Many people don't use tiny screens from the 90s anymore :v:

Geemer posted:

An incredible amount of websites have just this very thin column of content with the surrounding areas being just a background

and those that don't are incredibly uncomfortable to read with the incredibly long lines on a modern widescreen

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

An incredible amount of websites have just this very thin column of content with the surrounding areas being just a background (or ads if you're not running a blocker). Might as well shrink down the window so you can look at stuff to the side of it. Especially if you're not using multiple monitors.

I've got three monitors, and I still keep my viewport set to about 1280 wide. Two of them are on top though.

I use Displayfusion to reset FF to its proper size and position when I un-maximize it, because I really don't trust it to do it itself.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pilsner posted:

The thing you quoted concerned keeping the browser fullscreen (F11), which, as said, is something different from keeping it maximized.

Not many people care to keep their browser fullscreen between restarts. You'll find plenty who want the window maximized at all times.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Maximized on a 24" wide when reading, say, these dead gay forums gives me whiplash.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I wrote a little greasemonkey script years ago which keeps the forums no wider than 1400px.

One day I'll install Tile Tabs or something and make use of all that wasted space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I use stylus to set the max width of the posts