Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Plus they would usually get roped into combat and die in like five seconds anyway. And my companion couldn't even ride along with me.

I like games where the player character rides a horse/motorcycle/flying nimbus and their party just jogs along at 40 mph behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Horses in Age Of Conan were the single good thing about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Man that game sucked balls otherwise

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If you can earnesty give one good reason as to why there's no saving in the first chapter of Nier: Automata then you deserve to be sterilised with an ice-cream scoop.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If you can earnesty give one good reason as to why there's no saving in the first chapter of Nier: Automata then you deserve to be sterilised with an ice-cream scoop.

because you can put the ps4 in sleep mode if you need to stop playing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Since we're on the subject of horses, they're one of the few things I never really understood in Skyrim. Outside of their ability to make physics their bitch by climbing near-vertical slopes, they don't really do anything terribly useful. Beyond a few rare instances where I needed to cross a lot of empty space in a hurry, I could either just fast travel to my destination, walk and enjoy the environment (and inevitably run into yet another group of necromancer punks who needed their skulls caved in:black101:), or I was going somewhere a horse wasn't suited for.

Plus they would usually get roped into combat and die in like five seconds anyway. And my companion couldn't even ride along with me.

Yeah the only real purposes horses have in Skyrim are the ability to scale cliffs and break the weight carry limit for fast travelling.

My favorite horse thing is you get the horse from the dark brotherhood that looks badass but dies/vanishes just as easily as any other horse and can't be returned without the console.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

it results in posts like the above

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Moon Monster posted:

Are there any in-house Nintendo games with good full voice acting? I honestly can't think of any.

Fire Emblem: Echoes had superb full voice acting. Great score too.

Just about the only good one I could think of.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The Moon Monster posted:

Are there any in-house Nintendo games with good full voice acting? I honestly can't think of any.

Mario Sunshine.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Fire Emblem: Echoes had superb full voice acting. Great score too.

Just about the only good one I could think of.

Punch out for the wii was pretty good I that regard

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

What's your opinion on Star Fox?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish the enemies in Automata didn't all look the same. If your androids can dress up in fetishy nightwear then surely the robots you fight could get a paint-job.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wish the enemies in Automata didn't all look the same. If your androids can dress up in fetishy nightwear then surely the robots you fight could get a paint-job.

They literally do have different paint jobs. There are ones with red bands, gold ones and the forest machines have all kinds of different things going on. They do look similar but that's kind of the point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

They literally do have different paint jobs. There are ones with red bands, gold ones and the forest machines have all kinds of different things going on. They do look similar but that's kind of the point.

Yeah, but it's like saying your MetroidVania has dozens of different enemy designs and including the 5 different skeleton recolors.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I wish Automata wasn't open world. The linear bits are such a great, insane anime experience and I want a whole game like that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Xcom 2 can just gently caress right off and never come back,guess who's been playing Xcom 2? (it's me,i am the one).
loving bradford won't shut up every loving time a civ dies even though i'm fighting a loving army here!

also the game making GBS threads on you for evacing out of a hostile zone even though you got what you need and did the absolute most common sense thing by avoiding unnecessary soldier deaths is loving stupid as poo poo.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Mar 5, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Xcom 2 can just gently caress right off and never come back,guess who's been playing Xcom 2? (it's me,i am the one).
loving bradford won't shut up every loving time a civ dies even though i'm fighting a loving army here!

also the game making GBS threads on you for evacing out of a hostile zone even though you got what you need and did the absolute most common sense thing by avoiding unnecessary soldier deaths is loving stupid as poo poo.

As much as I like XCOM 2 I'm finding more joy in playing X-COM instead. It's deeper and more fulfilling.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

John Murdoch posted:

Since we're on the subject of horses, they're one of the few things I never really understood in Skyrim. Outside of their ability to make physics their bitch by climbing near-vertical slopes, they don't really do anything terribly useful. Beyond a few rare instances where I needed to cross a lot of empty space in a hurry, I could either just fast travel to my destination, walk and enjoy the environment (and inevitably run into yet another group of necromancer punks who needed their skulls caved in:black101:), or I was going somewhere a horse wasn't suited for.

The only good Skyrim horse is the DLC summonable bone horse you could use to make the carry limit your bitch.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Horses in Age Of Conan were the single good thing about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Man that game sucked balls otherwise

Didn't it also have some really weird collision/physics glitches with the naked character models?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That would be the newer one, Conan Exiles.
They needed the full power of Unreal Engine to add flopping dong physics.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

There are mods for that stuff if you're on PC; you are definitely not the only one to hate this crap.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

aegof posted:

There are mods for that stuff if you're on PC; you are definitely not the only one to hate this crap.

Yeah, the "Pyrrhic Victory" mod lets you evac when you complete your primary objective, and it was great in a few situations where, in my modded game, two to three times as many enemies are on the map as normal and the game locks to me to 3 guys tops. Feels much more smash and grab, which is a good thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s actually a bug not to get a reduced enemy count on missions with 3 soldier caps and there’s a mod to fix it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The solution to nearly every issue in XCOM 2 is to bring more explosives

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Der Kyhe posted:

Didn't it also have some really weird collision/physics glitches with the naked character models?

It did have an issue where female characters were 10% smaller than male ones so they hit stuff 10% faster or something because Funcom were terrible and seemingly just shrunk the models so all the PVP people were female

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite is a loving 60gig download from Steam. I don't even really want to play it, but I'm grimly determined to play all Capcom's Vs games.

Why the gently caress does a fighting game need to be that enormous?!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Necrothatcher posted:

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite is a loving 60gig download from Steam. I don't even really want to play it, but I'm grimly determined to play all Capcom's Vs games.

probably all the rootkits it needs to install to make sure you aren't using any mods to make the game not suck

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

for all those amazing cutscenes of toys crashing into each other where the marvel toys aren't allowed to get beat by the capcom toys because disney is really that small-minded and petty

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah the only real purposes horses have in Skyrim are the ability to scale cliffs and break the weight carry limit for fast travelling.

My favorite horse thing is you get the horse from the dark brotherhood that looks badass but dies/vanishes just as easily as any other horse and can't be returned without the console.

Roro posted:

The only good Skyrim horse is the DLC summonable bone horse you could use to make the carry limit your bitch.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the carry limit thing. Mainly 'cause I built my character to mostly ignore it and dumped everything else on my battle wife. And no horse is going to help with the overencumbered Whiterun walk of shame anyway. :v:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Necrothatcher posted:

for all those amazing graphics obv - huuurgh! sorry i was just a bit sick in my mouth thinking of those amazing graphics.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Honestly, fighting games always have a surprising size to me. Injustice 2 is 52 GB. Maybe it's because I don't fully understand what goes into fighting games, but that surprises me since we're talking about a genre that by design has a restrained amount of characters and limited areas, which I always took to be the bulks of the size of games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Uncompressed audio is my guess.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, fighting games always have a surprising size to me. Injustice 2 is 52 GB. Maybe it's because I don't fully understand what goes into fighting games, but that surprises me since we're talking about a genre that by design has a restrained amount of characters and limited areas, which I always took to be the bulks of the size of games.

again, cutscenes

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also unlike Capcom, Netherrealm actually puts content into their fighting games.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

If we're bitching about X-COM 2, I want to pile on

Why do I get like a million ways to customize a soldier, but only 10 characters for the nickname?

Why does every single loving thing that happens on the avenger or the overworld map have to bring my timer to complete loving halt to bring up 2 windows, an alarm, and a voiceline??? I also don't need the dramatic zoom to the avatar project, slow as gently caress animation, and bradford chastising me every one of the 100 times they get another blip completed across the entire campaign, either.

Also why is it when one of my soldiers barely grazes the general area of an enemy pod, they get to run 20 squares in the least convenient direction possible? I know you're not supposed to reveal new territory with your last guy, but it's immensely frustrating when your star medic accidentally spots a lancer's elbow 100 yards away through a tiny porthole window and then that lancer gets to double move 50 squares and stab crit him in the stomach.

The worst part of X-COM though are the relentlessly obnoxious fans who bleat "THAT'S X-COM" at the slightest criticism of the lovely design choices in this otherwise outstanding game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Riatsala posted:

Why do I get like a million ways to customize a soldier, but only 10 characters for the nickname?

Why does every single loving thing that happens on the avenger or the overworld map have to bring my timer to complete loving halt to bring up 2 windows, an alarm, and a voiceline??? I also don't need the dramatic zoom to the avatar project, slow as gently caress animation, and bradford chastising me every one of the 100 times they get another blip completed across the entire campaign, either.

Also why is it when one of my soldiers barely grazes the general area of an enemy pod, they get to run 20 squares in the least convenient direction possible? I know you're not supposed to reveal new territory with your last guy, but it's immensely frustrating when your star medic accidentally spots a lancer's elbow 100 yards away through a tiny porthole window and then that lancer gets to double move 50 squares and stab crit him in the stomach.

:xcom:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That was the :darksouls: of :xcom:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sebmojo posted:

That was the :darksouls: of :xcom:

what the gently caress is cuphead

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Riatsala posted:

Yeah,control being constantly wrestled away from you with enemy animations and comm chatter is irritating beyond belief.
Xcom 2 the base game runs real bad on my computer but war of the chosen runs super smooth so i’m gritting my teeth and just getting the base game done.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve been playing a lot of Earth Defense Force 4.1 with my friends and for the most part I’m having a blast, but there are somethings that aren’t great.

- Enemies do a poo poo ton of damage. Granted we’re playing on hard but if a single small spider (out of the thousands you’re facing on a given map) sneaks up on you there is a large chance you just get one shot. Even my tanks with 4K hp don’t stand a chance.

- The characters repeat the same thing constantly. Generally the voice acting is super B level ham and I love it but when 5 different people say the exact same thing with little to no variation it can really wear on you.

- As an Air Raider I can call in vehicles like tanks or rocket trucks to fight the enemy. The problem is you need to have them dropped from a helicopter and it takes forever for that to happen. It sucks when you’re doing it around enemies but I’ll accept that as poor planning on my part. What really annoys me is you have to call it in at the start of each level which means my friends always run off and kill everything while I’m waiting for my tank.

- The game gave me a kick rear end giant bipedal robot after the fourth level. Forty levels later I haven’t been given the chance to use it since, other than a battle which was really just a cut scene, there have been no enemies I could actually use it on.

- If you’re holding down the fire button when your vehicle explodes your character will immediately start shooting which ever weapon they have equipped. Not so great when you’re holding the tracking gun for a 150mm cannon and you blow up your entire team since you accidentally shot the wreckage of your tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

moosecow333 posted:

- If you’re holding down the fire button when your vehicle explodes your character will immediately start shooting which ever weapon they have equipped. Not so great when you’re holding the tracking gun for a 150mm cannon and you blow up your entire team since you accidentally shot the wreckage of your tank.

:allears:

No no this sounds like a positive