Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that poor skeleton having to live through a racist inhabiting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah there is no way that Disney shelve GotG3. And I'm sure any filmmaker who has respect for Gunn can suffer a lapse in judgment when they give them a ton of money for it. There's no way they're not looking at talent right now.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

sexpig by night posted:

Suicide Squad was likely never gonna be great (you can't do a team movie with zero groundwork with such major characters...well ok like, two major characters and a bunch of jobbers, but still)

Yeah you can :raise:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah there is no way that Disney shelve GotG3. And I'm sure any filmmaker who has respect for Gunn can suffer a lapse in judgment when they give them a ton of money for it. There's no way they're not looking at talent right now.

They’ll probably get someone who isn’t anyone and is just happy for the job.

And yes they are looking at talent. Rumors were flying about Adam McKay, Travis Knight, and a few others. I believe the majority of them said hell no. And other filmmakers who were asked also said the same things.

It will happen, but I don’t want to see it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrVenkman posted:

With everybody hoping nobody from Disney pays much attention to Executive Producer "John Swordd" and that the fake moustache doesn't fall off in front of anybody important who might recognise him.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Lessail posted:

Yeah you can :raise:

Yeah this is kind of an odd take interspersed with talk about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Yeah this is kind of an odd take interspersed with talk about Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's not the same thing. The Guardians are defined as a group and their interactions between eachother. Them coming together IS their origin story. Suicide Squad is a collection of Batman villains who've all had their own past adventures thrown together with other people they don't like, to do a job they don't want to do. The better comparison would be leading off with The Avengers.

But, I mean, what comicbook publisher would be stupid enough to lead on the movie that has the big-name protagonists thrown together with minimal time for backstory and character development for their cinematic universe. That'd just be stupid!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think you necessarily couldn't make Justice League the first big movie with most of those characters, but you'd have to do it very differently than they ended up trying to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arist posted:

I don't think you necessarily couldn't make Justice League the first big movie with most of those characters, but you'd have to do it very differently than they ended up trying to.

Not as part of a franchise. The standalone animated films work because they just assume the audience know the basics of the villain and the hero and get on with a self-contained story. Something like the Justice League essentially has entirely new characters that need proper introduction, because we know nothing about how Ben Affleck plays Batman, for example. Animated Batman is essentially almost always the "same" Batman with maybe a different VA, but in live-action each version may as well be entirely different characters.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KEEMSTAR/status/1102213256033243136

:jerkbag:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What will the boomer stereotype be for gen z, I wonder?

The naming scheme fits because gen x turned out to be more boomers. Also it’s nice confirmation that they will be the last generation.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
does anyone else follow Civvie11?

He's pretty small but he has a fun gimmick and does seem neat retro shooter stuff. Found him the other day and enjoyed his catalog a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_cHAtwr8_U

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

lol yeah these small youtubers need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and become the tmz for youtube like me!~

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

does anyone else follow Civvie11?

He's pretty small but he has a fun gimmick and does seem neat retro shooter stuff. Found him the other day and enjoyed his catalog a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_cHAtwr8_U

Civvie is pretty good, his Pro _____ vids and reviews of bad games are fun.

Does he do anything besides the stupid drama alerts? I also enjoy the small YT people in the comments licking his boots.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 5, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr E posted:

Civvie is pretty good, his Pro _____ vids and reviews of bad games are fun.

Does he do anything besides the stupid drama alerts? I also enjoy the small YT people in the comments licking his boots.

Keem is weird for me because he is apparently a big deal but he never appears in my recs or mentions despite youtube thinking I want to hear fatnerd877 talk about how Captain Marvel is misandry

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
He was doing Fortnite tournaments and then blamed epic for killing his tournaments (because epic games had more money for them lmao duh)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Keem is weird for me because he is apparently a big deal but he never appears in my recs or mentions despite youtube thinking I want to hear fatnerd877 talk about how Captain Marvel is misandry

Same here. It's wild that Youtube thinks I want to watch videos featuring Jordan Peterson or Joe Rogan and yet Keemstar is somehow still too right of the dial for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it always baffles me when people young enough to have received participation awards whine that today’s youth are spoiled by participation awards.
They should know full well that kids don’t care about getting participation awards and the awards are there more to appease the parents than anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Keem frequently talks about him being dirt poor for a while as he worked on his career and made a million dollars whatever

Dude got lucky and that’s it. Pure luck and it worked out for him. That’s what being YouTube famous is. For any high profile YouTuber, there’s a handful of creators who are doing the same thing just as good if not better. But only one or two will stand out.

Don’t try and be YouTube famous. If it happens great. But never go after it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Augus posted:

it always baffles me when people young enough to have received participation awards whine that today’s youth are spoiled by participation awards.
They should know full well that kids don’t care about getting participation awards and the awards are there more to appease the parents than anything.

It’s because Strauss and Howe, the C-student ad men who came up with the modern categories of generations (WW II, Silents, Boomers, Gen X, Millennials) wrote their big books (The Fourth Turning and Generations) between 1989 and 1995 or so. The only data they had available for millennials was about literal children in elementary school, so they did a lot of extrapolating from what they saw fourth graders doing. There’s a chart in The Fourth Turning that lists notable members of each generation, and the millennial box is mostly empty except for Baby Jessica, the baby who fell down a well.

Their only actually meaningful contribution was to name the millennial generation, who were bing called “the digital natives” (ew) and “generation y” (loving lazy-rear end boomers).

Nobody had really bothered updating the original characterization because the popular conversation was always about expressing contempt for the young.

The actual characteristics of the generation are only emerging now and will probably hinge on what we do or don’t do about climate change and the death of the oceans.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Keem is a rather odd one. It's not necessarily that he's righter on the dial than yer Peterson's and that (I don't think that's the case. In fact I have no idea where his political beliefs lie at all) but it always surprises me that he's got into such a position. I mean, he has pretty hefty contacts on the inside of YouTube nowadays to the point where he's almost acted like a spokesperson for them in his vids. Sometimes he'll even do something that shows a bit of control and respect (e.g. he's purposefully avoided talking about the situation with Eugenia Cooney when loads of others have happily grifted and made cash from it). Other times...well, the Content Cop on him says a lot. He hit on a formula and ran with it, but he shouldn't pretend there wasn't any luck involved in that.

I kinda guessing that this tweet is still mainly a fallout from that whole MattIsWhatItIs thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Justice League the animated series pretty much did the same as Justice League the film. Correct me if I've forgotten something, but prior to JL you had Superman TAS, Batman TAS/New Adventures and one Flash appearance in Superman. Batman in JL is written significantly different from how he is in his own series and Flash is characterised pretty differently from that one shot cameo - might even be a different Flash altogether - so all you really have going in that's set in stone is Superman.

So you have to introduce Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl and the new way Batman's being written, make the audience understand them all on a basic level, and you have two episodes to do it in while also having to write a threat big enough that all seven of them need to deal with it. I think the animated series pulled it off, so it's doable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Keem is a trump voter and supporter, or at least was. No clue right now

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. Either that or he's in the Boogiesphere (the "sane and rational middle", in other words). I know he's done a bunch of those IBS streams as well.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

If you want Keemstar to be filling up your recommends just watch Fine Bros., PewDiePie, Jake Paul, or Shane Dawson.

I think YouTube has deliberately quarantined Keem and his ilk a bit specifically because they're a circle of drama channels that exclusively talk trash about other big YouTubers, which is pretty much the sole difference between Keem and Leafy or Sargon, who exclusively talk trash about tiny YouTubers.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That content cop on leafy was a very satisfying watch

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

That explains why I've seen smaller and alt-right YouTubers go crying to him when they've been done an injustice (usually being called out rightly for racism or similar) like he's some bizarre mother hen.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

JordanKai posted:

Same here. It's wild that Youtube thinks I want to watch videos featuring Jordan Peterson or Joe Rogan and yet Keemstar is somehow still too right of the dial for me.

That you both bring this up made me realize that yeah I've never seen the guy in my recommendations either. Even after seeing the content cop about the guy. Youtube has recommended me all kinds of people, even people that I have no idea why they would recommend the person, but never Keem. Hell I discovered Jenny because youtube randomly decided I would want to watch a video about "the worst book ever". But never Keem.

FoldableHuman posted:

watch Fine Bros., PewDiePie, Jake Paul, or Shane Dawson.

pls no

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Keem only comes up if you seep yourself into YouTube culture. You don’t just watch one of those but all of those and the others to a point where your entire watching habits is based in and around YouTube people

I watched that pewd one with Elon musk and I didn’t get any keem. So it requires more. So much more.

(Hell even when I watched all of baited I didn’t get much keem. Go figure lol)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

I kinda guessing that this tweet is still mainly a fallout from that whole MattIsWhatItIs thing.

What thing is this?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm constantly made to wonder, with all of these e-pricks somehow getting super rich for just playing video games and screaming about women and black people into the digital void with no other marketable skills besides their gigantic personalities and maybe their ability to do some entry level video editing and audio engineering--is there any kind of bubble that they're all resting on just threatening to burst?

Like, how long can this famedouche economy last before the magic money stream dries out, and what happens after that? Or is this just the future, with an incredibly loud and dickish Neo Nouveau Riche crew living the high life and doing increasingly sociopathic "It's just a prank, bro" poo poo to each other and the poors for the last few livable decades the Earth has as a planet?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean in general youtube’s profitability is built on duct-tape and prayers so yeah I guess that counts as a bubble?
Realistically the “adpocalypse”-type incidents are only gonna get more and more frequent as time goes on

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arist posted:

The first arc of Justice League in the DCAU only introduced Batman, Superman, and the Flash before then and it works for the most part, so yeah

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The actual characteristics of the generation are only emerging now and will probably hinge on what we do or don’t do about climate change and the death of the oceans.
there are no "actual" characteristics of the generation because the concept of a generation is an entirely arbitrary line in the middle of a constant and graduated change of temporal environment predicated on the conceit of boomers having been born in a singular 'wave' after world war ii and projecting that onto future generations who, thankfully, have so far entirely lacked equivalent generative events. :ssh:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not as part of a franchise. The standalone animated films work because they just assume the audience know the basics of the villain and the hero and get on with a self-contained story. Something like the Justice League essentially has entirely new characters that need proper introduction, because we know nothing about how Ben Affleck plays Batman, for example. Animated Batman is essentially almost always the "same" Batman with maybe a different VA, but in live-action each version may as well be entirely different characters.

there's a whole lot of movies that introduce a character during the run time of that same movie

some even do it for multiple characters

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Yeah but are any of those characters damaged?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

i'll have you know that you can't do a spider-man movie without first doing the aunt may and uncle ben origin movie how else will their characters resonate with me

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With everybody hoping nobody from Disney pays much attention to Executive Producer "John Swordd" and that the fake moustache doesn't fall off in front of anybody important who might recognise him.

"You gotta see this Jimmy Pisstol director! He did a snake movie for Full Moon called UNDuLATE and it's amazing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I have never personally cared when Uncle Ben died.