Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I am committing to this bit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A WILD SAM APPEARS

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
hope that Q&A goes up on youtube, I missed it playing d&d.

Gonna be fun to see what goals they pile on top of the existing stretch goals, best to come up with something to put that extra money towards.

The kickstarter is finally starting to slow down some but it's still going to hit 4 million early Tuesday, 5 million is very possible by the end of the week.

Looking forward to seeing the cast all dumbfounded on Talks tomorrow and at the start of the next game as well.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 5, 2019

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
If they can, I'd love to see the miniseries get a score by Justin Bell (the guy who did the Pillars of Eternity soundtrack), his song "Twin Elms" is one of the most iconic things of the show.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

CuwiKhons posted:

So now we're back to them needing to either write Tiberius out or find some way of dealing with him.

During the stream, someone asked about Orion. Mat quietly replied something along the lines "that rear end in a top hat will have nothing to do with this" I have never seen Matt talk bad about anyone before. I imagine that you have to be pretty bad for Matt to call you that.

I'm really happy the gang got this response on kickstarter. There are many KS campaigns that don't deserve the money they get, these guys and gals deserve every penny that gets donated.

Raged fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 5, 2019

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Raged posted:

During the stream, someone asked about Orion. Mat quietly replied something along the lines "that rear end in a top hat will have nothing to do with this" I have never seen Matt talk bad about anyone before. I imagine that you have to be pretty bad for Matt to call you that.

I'm really happy the gang got this response on kickstarter. There are many KS campaigns that don't deserve the money they get, these guys and gals deserve every penny that gets donated.

You know Orion set up a bunch of twitter accounts to basically try and poo poo all over CR, right? Dude went full loving nutso and must be goddamn kicking himself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Raged posted:

That wasnt what was said - Matt said that rear end in a top hat in reference to Brian W. Foster voicing a character not Orion. It was a joke. They dont touch Orion chat with a 60 foot pole.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Lid posted:

That wasnt what was said - Matt said that rear end in a top hat in reference to Brian W. Foster voicing a character not Orion. It was a joke. They dont touch Orion chat with a 60 foot pole.

Yeah, I did a double-take at Matt saying "No, we're not letting that rear end in a top hat in" until I realized they were joking about Foster voicing a character. I'm sure there's zero love lost between most of the CR group and Orion, but they've long steered clear of discussing it, and Matt of all people would be the last person I could imagine really laying into Orion publicly.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Such as this

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqd7fk

https://www.reddit.com/r/shittykick...tm_source=share

Lid fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 5, 2019

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The whole CR crew has handled that Orion breakup really well from a PR standpoint. Just never bring it up, be diplomatic when it's asked about, and just kind of put out that vibe that it's awkward and they don't want to talk about it. By never bringing it up themselves they do a lot to keep it from being an ongoing drama or thing, and they've been going long enough that a lot of people won't even know he was part of the cast for quite awhile.

For an online focused show that interacts a ton with the community online, goes to cons and such, etc., it's pretty amazing that hasn't really become a shadow over the show.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Honestly not a fan of the artstyle. Was hoping for something Castlevania.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_EOHqTwl5s

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Lid posted:

Honestly not a fan of the artstyle. Was hoping for something Castlevania.

That would be great for the more dramatic moments but I think even a $5mil budget would struggle with that. I was actually looking up the budget for Vania last night but I couldn't find anything. Being a Netflix show I'd expect it to be pretty high. It'd be nice if Titmouse leaned a bit more into the realism of the Kora designs as a middle ground. More serious than what we saw in the preview but still loose enough that when they go into goof times it's not clashing. All that said I get the feeling the Crit Role guys wanted to evoke something Thundercats-esque.

And I just want to talk about Ep 53 for a second since I'm only just starting it. I love Liam going full cat person for the Moorbounders. "I will be the first to learn to tame them. I will use the powerful artefact to help me tame them. They are mine and I love them. You guys can look at them."

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

A Korra art style would be fantastic but I don't hate what they've got either. My greatest fear was them going with the bad CGI with half the necessary frames style of the Dragon Prince.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

A Korra art style would be fantastic but I don't hate what they've got either. My greatest fear was them going with the bad CGI with half the necessary frames style of the Dragon Prince.

'with all this extra budget we can finally go full CGI-'

netflix godzilla anime appears on the horizon

'perfect~'

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAF2ZNcYBok

Matt's shock as he realised they could show all the history and lore. I'm expecting a "History of the World, I guess" type bonus ep or those weird 4 minute shorts you used to get as extras for anime series where they just do funny little info dumps.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Four million!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://twitter.com/ChrisLockey/status/1102777315115773953

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1102830348457533440

:stare: th... that was a joke.....

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I wouldn't get too excited because I'm sure he's got a big price tag attached to him and that message is really just "Talk to my agent instead of DMing me," but drat it'd be cool as gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

I wouldn't get too excited because I'm sure he's got a big price tag attached to him and that message is really just "Talk to my agent instead of DMing me," but drat it'd be cool as gently caress.

It’s still a lot more than most requests like that get, which is silence.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I mean yeah, deservedly Hamill has got to be one of the top paid voice actors around, but there's surely room in the budget for him now and it's a literal day in the booth since it'd assuredly be a brief cameo, probably the bad guys talking to a projection of Vecna or something. I can picture the voice already and it does seem like a nice smooth fit.

I feel like $4 mil in 24 hours has to be a kickstarter record in the film/animation category and competing with some of the other top ones across all categories, it's just plain nuts. They're easily on pace to outdo the MST3k revival kickstarter, and when that happens my mind is pretty drat blown since that's a cartoon of a niche d&d liveplay stream beating one of the all-time cult classic T.V. shows. You know, the show that was seen by probably 500k-1 million people each time a new episode aired, caught a bunch in syndication, had its own full scale movie, etc. etc. Granted you have the advantage of riding the current fan interest and not trying to do a revival, but still, good grief!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I mean yeah, deservedly Hamill has got to be one of the top paid voice actors around, but there's surely room in the budget for him now and it's a literal day in the booth since it'd assuredly be a brief cameo, probably the bad guys talking to a projection of Vecna or something. I can picture the voice already and it does seem like a nice smooth fit.

I feel like $4 mil in 24 hours has to be a kickstarter record in the film/animation category and competing with some of the other top ones across all categories, it's just plain nuts. They're easily on pace to outdo the MST3k revival kickstarter, and when that happens my mind is pretty drat blown since that's a cartoon of a niche d&d liveplay stream beating one of the all-time cult classic T.V. shows. You know, the show that was seen by probably 500k-1 million people each time a new episode aired, caught a bunch in syndication, had its own full scale movie, etc. etc. Granted you have the advantage of riding the current fan interest and not trying to do a revival, but still, good grief!

it was fun hearing them describe pitching turning their twitch stream into an animated show and how, generally speaking, networks/distributors just didn't understand what a twitch stream was or how that might even be possible

with this outpouring of support, they're probably going to have to actively turn down additional funding from some of those same people they got rejected by

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

eke out posted:

it was fun hearing them describe pitching turning their twitch stream into an animated show and how, generally speaking, networks/distributors just didn't understand what a twitch stream was or how that might even be possible

with this outpouring of support, they're probably going to have to actively turn down additional funding from some of those same people they got rejected by

I'm kind of surprised no one was on board for it, though how to actually monetize these animation bits does seem tricky. Like, having done everything else for free so far content wise (except for talks machina archives which were locked behind alpha), and with that being clearly the plan going forward, do they then charge for the animated special? Seems like you certainly should and could, but it's not exactly been the modus operandi so far.

Not even knowing what twitch is is a real thing too.

I do think with this level of interest securing funding and production through normal animation/hollywood means should be entirely doable, though in their shoes I'd be sorely tempted to just do another kickstarter since even though you can't really expect as much interest the second time around I can just about guarantee they'd get $3 to 5 million for another round of specials, hard to turn down free money to throw into the budget and all.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

eke out posted:

Got a link to this bit? I love hearing about execs being baffled by new technologies.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sion posted:

Got a link to this bit? I love hearing about execs being baffled by new technologies.

it's around here, i think: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/390553494?t=00h20m22s

MARISHA: "It's a lot to explain. It's like a... tiramisu of confusion."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's just live improvised long-form TV. Over the internet. Doesn't seem that complicated.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fender Anarchist posted:

It's just live improvised long-form TV. Over the internet. Doesn't seem that complicated.

to paraphrase brennan mulligan: 'it's like gambling, but the stakes are the emotional attachments you've made'

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Fender Anarchist posted:

It's DnD, that nerd game? Are people other than internet loners even into that? And it's improvised? What if you guys say something that our advertisers don't like?

It's not complex once you're familiar with it but if you aren't it sounds like a super niche gamble

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I like that apparently Marisha came up with the VMxM9 stretch goal with no idea what that even meant because they thought they'd have some time to figure it out in the unlikely event that goal was met.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NowonSA posted:

Looking at Kicktraq for first day totals:

MST3K: $803,216
Veronica Mars Movie: $2,351,920
Critical Role: $3,545,057

The reason the numbers look a little off is because they close the day at midnight, and don't do a rolling 24 hours. Still, it's pretty clear that we crushed the day 1 record in this category at least.

I honestly have no idea where this is going to end. Like the Q&A mentioned, we haven't even had a full day for people to see this, plus they haven't had a chance to bring it up on Talks or Crit Role itself for people who aren't all-in on social media.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I hope they don't go too wild with stretch goals and upping the scope of the project, there's always the fear of projects getting too bloated for their own good compared to how they were originally planned.

Tho because they're working with professional studios it shouldn't happen. Hopefully.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Whatup goons! I just started listening to Critical Role last month (on episode 3 of the first campaign). I saw at the beginning of this thread there was some contention on if it was worth listening/watching the first campaign all the way through; is this still the case?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

IronSaber posted:

Whatup goons! I just started listening to Critical Role last month (on episode 3 of the first campaign). I saw at the beginning of this thread there was some contention on if it was worth listening/watching the first campaign all the way through; is this still the case?

No contention here. C1 is great and a wild ride. Just be aware that Tiberius leaves in episode 25 or 26, and never comes back, nor will he. Enjoy yourself!

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The early episodes of campaign 1 are generally considered the weakest of the show - the sound is much lower quality, they’re still getting their legs under them in terms of the improv, and there is a “problem” player still at the table who leaves after episode 27. Some people recommend skipping ahead to episode 24 or so, which is where the plot starts for one of the best arcs of the campaign, and also is close to when Orion departs. But there is a lot of good stuff in the early episodes, general consensus is listen to it all. Although actually, a popular refrain would be to listen to campaign 2 first because it is a more refined experience.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

IronSaber posted:

The first campaign is good, but I thought the second was a much better place for new people to start. However if you've already started campaign one and are enjoying it, then there's no harm in continuing with it since it does have some fantastic moments.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

It also has a bit of a problem for how they started off without a really good introduction to the characters, since they had already been playing off-stream for their own enjoyment before deciding it might be fun to make it a show. It doesn't take very long to catch onto some of them, but it honestly took me until the end of the Underdark to remember that Percy was even part of the group at times, and Scanlan is very much a "love him or hate him" character until Sam rounds him out from just being a relentless meta-joke machine.

It's a really rough start compared to Campaign 2. Still great once you settle in, but so much easier to bounce off of when you're not already invested with their group chemistry at the table.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first campaign also had a very basic setup, including rough mics and cameras and just using an available Geek & Sundry studio instead of their own custom set.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
If you skip to campaign 2 it's pretty likely you'll get spoiled on the ending/wham moments from the first campaign. They're pretty good about keeping it to a minimum but things slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Silynt posted:

The early episodes of campaign 1 are generally considered the weakest of the show - the sound is much lower quality, they’re still getting their legs under them in terms of the improv, and there is a “problem” player still at the table who leaves after episode 27. Some people recommend skipping ahead to episode 24 or so, which is where the plot starts for one of the best arcs of the campaign, and also is close to when Orion departs. But there is a lot of good stuff in the early episodes, general consensus is listen to it all. Although actually, a popular refrain would be to listen to campaign 2 first because it is a more refined experience.

I disagree with this on two things - 17 and 23 must be watched for Grog v Kurg the Hammer which sets up Earthbreaker Groon down the line, and 18+19 which feature no Orion and introduce Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's awesome Zahra made even more awesome knowing this was her first game of D&D ever. Oh and 23 is the debut of Victor.

So 17, 18, 19 and then 23 onwards.