Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I found a nice combo with the Nun. If you have the Banish Darkness blessing and put Frailty 2 on your opponent, activating Discipline and overhealing for 4 will create an infinite damage loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Beat the hard mode in tangledeep, but I scummed item dreams in normal mode for a while before doing it.
Had rainbow resists in the 70s-90s, base, and effects that were boosting them even further most of the time.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

resistentialism posted:

Beat the hard mode in tangledeep, but I scummed item dreams in normal mode for a while before doing it.
Had rainbow resists in the 70s-90s, base, and effects that were boosting them even further most of the time.

What classes did you use? I beat Hard with a Floramancer/Soul Keeper combo, and imagine it's trickier to do if you're not reliant on ranged/summons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

resistentialism posted:

hard mode, as in hardcore mode?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I'm guessing he means NG+

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Happylisk posted:

What classes did you use? I beat Hard with a Floramancer/Soul Keeper combo, and imagine it's trickier to do if you're not reliant on ranged/summons.

Hammer and shield paladin using the huSyn character sprite for the free mana regen on the crystal. Most of my damage output was from wild horse with thundering lion and the triple damage armor crash from the emerald paladin gear set.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/pyrrho12/status/1102942844094840832

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Eugh. That's tacky, right? Please tell me that's its not just me finding that distasteful.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"Pay money and get your face/name/character design in the game" is a thing in tons of games. Only difference is that it's usually a kickstarter or patreon reward.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Why's it tacky? I don't get that at all

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Serephina posted:

Eugh. That's tacky, right? Please tell me that's its not just me finding that distasteful.

The only things that is tacky is the "its my birthday" bit. The rest of it isn't, though the price point is pretty optimistic. On the other hand, it could be priced that way because they only really want to do a small number of them. Also gets in 3 different games from the person, so if you're a fan it isn't too terrible.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No, I agree, that dude's shirt does seem tacky.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a cute thing some game devs do where fans can get a thing for themselves in the same style so it fits. they gotta eat, too.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, this doesn't seem tacky to me at all, especially since the games are free and double-especially since it's just a portrait commission (rather than adding the design to the game for everyone).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
:siren: Tangledeep for a dollar :siren:, and some other games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/humble-indie-bundle-20

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

The only things that is tacky is the "its my birthday" bit. The rest of it isn't, though the price point is pretty optimistic. On the other hand, it could be priced that way because they only really want to do a small number of them. Also gets in 3 different games from the person, so if you're a fan it isn't too terrible.

He apologizes for being shameless: https://twitter.com/pyrrho12/status/1102944644483112960

and the money is going towards programmers:

quote:

For the past week and a half I’ve been raising money to hire some C++ programmers for GearHead Caramel, and I’m happy to say that we’re almost there! I’d like to thank everyone who has contributed, ordered art, or bought stuff from my itch.io shop.

Another $100 or so is needed before the programmers can start work. My regular commissions are still open, and I’m adding another option- for just $20 you can add yourself (or a custom character of your choosing) to the GearHead universe! I will provide files for use in GearHead 1, GearHead 2, and GearHead Caramel, as well as a full color version of the portrait suitable for use as a social media avatar.

http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Im_Special posted:

woah, for once the only game I want is at the lowest pay tier.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
this is a stupid good deal on tangledeep, makes me worried about how their sales have been.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Maybe they think they already got the majority of the sales on PC that aren't the long tail, and are trying to concentrate on switch sales.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Also have a paid expansion coming out in a bit, I think.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Isn't there a DLC in the works?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I mean, it's been out for over a year on Steam. It's not a new game on PC anymore.

genericnick posted:

Isn't there a DLC in the works?

Yes, next month.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
This has been passing around my social media stuff lately, no idea on veracity:

https://twitter.com/AndyChalk/status/1103003123713372160

You can always customize the distribution of your money though, so still definitely get Tangledeep.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Doesn't humble bundle lets you specify whatever charity that has an official charity tax number? Please, for god's sake, choose a good charity when you buy things from them. (I'm happy to elaborate on what I think makes a good charity in PMs or a more appropriate thread) I don't blame them for not wanting to curate that ridiculously large list.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Doesn't humble bundle lets you specify whatever charity that has an official charity tax number? Please, for god's sake, choose a good charity when you buy things from them. (I'm happy to elaborate on what I think makes a good charity in PMs or a more appropriate thread) I don't blame them for not wanting to curate that ridiculously large list.

I give almost exclusively to the Southern Poverty Law Center as they fight hate groups.

I sometimes give to the devs.

Either way go get Tangledeep.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Im_Special posted:

Thanks for this!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Reiterpallasch posted:

You can always customize the distribution of your money though, so still definitely get Tangledeep.
Searching for vaccine in their list of thousands of charities does indeed yield three deeply lovely results: Learn the Risk, National Vaccine Information Center and People Advocating Vaccine Education. But as far as I can tell they haven't actively promoted them anywhere, or presented them as default options, so it's probably just ineffective curation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you can choose where your money goes to, is it not more likely that three pricks chose to give it to anti-vax groups?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I finally downloaded the Zombasite demo and tried it out.

I began play as Florida Man, a humble rogue leading the unassuming Florida Clan. I read a billion help popups, talked to some guy named Ashley, walked out the gate and got into a knife fight with a tiny zombie which lasted about 0.05 seconds because stealth absolutely does not gently caress around in Zombasite and gives you a massive bonus to your damage output.

I was soon informed that my beloved Florida Clan was under attack, so I rushed back inside to help and saw that some legendary monster called Assassin something-or-other was throwing fireballs at the gate. I went into stealth, snuck up to the gate from the other side, flung it wide and assassinated the Assassin for a massive 1 damage.

"Oh God," I thought.

There was no God.

There was only Ashley, thundering through the underbrush in leather pants, claymore in hand.

The two of us engaged in an absolutely brutal knock-down, drag-out battle with the Assassin, finally prevailing with the help of a lot of potions. We both gained a level, and I took a moment to chat with Ashley. He had recently enjoyed some insulting banter with another Florida Person and wanted me to find frog legs for his collection. I told him it was the least I could do. Real go-getter, that Ashley.

I went on a few adventures and did some quests before discovering another clan: the Enlightened. This clan consisted of two people who lived in a shack and really wanted to sell me all their lovely armour. I figured that, since they lived nearby, I might as well be a good neighbour and forge an alliance for mutual protection. Clearly appreciative, the Enlightened immediately began sending me gifts of two dollars. They did this repeatedly, at random intervals, and never stopped doing so for the rest of the game. Thanks :confused:

I brought Ashley his frog legs and he was very appreciative. I also brought him an elite monster I couldn't handle on my own, and he was very murderous. I was definitely beginning to like Ashley, weird collecting habits notwithstanding.

During one of my more ambitious expeditions, far from home, I encountered the Nemesis Clan. They were consistently very rude and demanded all of my life savings in exchange for anything I asked to trade for. Thinking I could win their favour by being neighbourly, I offered to assassinate a problematic outlaw that had been plaguing them, and set out to find her.

She proved to be loving near invincible and very nearly obliterated me; I was only able to best her by kiting her through a huge army of Havoc Clan orcs, carving a path out of the ensuing bloodbath, running around a corner, going into stealth, and backstabbing her after she finally finished killing every last one of them. Then I got the alert that the Nemesis clan was raiding the Florida Clan. Followed immediately by the alert that my nemesis, some goblin or something, had sent monsters to attack Florida Clan. Followed, in turn, by the alert that the Havoc Clan orcs were attacking Florida Clan.

I had just reached home when I got the message that Ashley had died fighting off our many enemies.

By the time I sprinted through the gate, he had risen as an absolute loving nightmare of an elite zombie.

Zombie Ashley left a terrifying swath of destruction behind him, slaughtering Nemesis raiders, orcs, and weird demon things with equal abandon, as though they were frogs whose legs needed collecting. When the dust settled, all that remained was the Florida Clan, furiously battling their former friend and defender until he, too, was struck down. Rest in peace, Ashley, you absolute human monster truck. Florida Clan will never forget your sacrifice.

So, obviously, Nemesis had to loving pay for this. I contacted them to politely inform them that I had killed the outlaw, and would be shortly following up by piling all their legs on Ashley's grave.

The entire world went loving insane.

Because the Enlightened were allied with me, they immediately declared war against Nemesis. Nemesis responded by immediately raiding the Enlightened, who, by dint of being two boot salesmen sharing a hut, were very badly equipped to handle this turn of events. Fortunately, the Enlightened had distant friends in the form of the Hearts of Gold or something like that, who I'd never met or heard of; this other faction immediately took advantage of Nemesis' distraction with a retaliatory raid. Meanwhile, I'm running through the wilderness to help my boot salesman neighbours and absolutely everything is wall-to-wall assholes. There are elite monsters everywhere and they're all spawning more monsters and everything is fighting each other. I sometimes have to stop and just wildly swing my weapon to carve a path through the unending tide of little gremlin guys and yelling skeletons and screaming stink dogs. It's anarchy. It's loving Armageddon.

Nemesis suddenly stops raiding the Enlightened. "Oh good," I think, "but I'd better go check on them, just to be safe-"

Nemesis has been destroyed by the golden dudes.

I return to Nemesis' stomping grounds and find the golden guys instead. Their clan is four times more powerful than the Florida Clan. In fact, they are the most powerful clan in the world.

And they helped me avenge Ashley because I was nice to the local gay boot salesmen.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 6, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm confused, why would you post a totally normal story about everyday life in Florida

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, my latest character was doing pretty good, telling his well-fed clan to just relax, until it came time to hunt for more provisions in an area that didn't look out of depth. Two members died in the first twenty seconds of "hunting," had their graves desecrated in the next two seconds, and arose as zombie versions of themselves two additional seconds later. The three remaining clan members' happiness dropped through the floor, two went insane, one immediately changed his name, charged me, and had to be put down. The one who hadn't lost his marbles stole some food, tossed his equipment into a heap, and left down. It was me, four tall walls with no doors, and two clan members, foaming at the mouth and setting fire to the town.

All told, it was a fairly straightforward death spiral.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Florida roguelike when

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Update: the golden guys were consistently rude to me until I got sick of their poo poo and utilized nefarious rogue bullshit to assassinate their guards one by one and smash their healthstone, wiping them out. The boot salesmen gave me two dollars

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
diplo how did you get so good at talespinning anyhow

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Tangledeep reminds me a little of Dark Souls -- not because it's difficult or grim or any of the usual themes people associate with that game, but in that I have serious misgivings about a lot of the mechanics, but it fills such an unusual niche that you can forgive it's missteps (to some extent) because it does things other games wouldn't even try. (In Souls' case, invasions, in Tangledeep's case, really committing to attrition-based resource management.)

The combination of healing as a limited resource + respawning enemies is an extremely elegant solution to the "problem" of grinding; it makes it a strategic decision every step of the way. The actual amount of healing you get seems very well-calibrated as well.

It's also absolutely gorgeous and, far more importantly, readable. I overwhelmingly prefer ASCII in roguelikes because so often the graphics are muddy, enemies are poorly distinguished from backgrounds or look too much alike, etc. The simplicity and starkness of character + color goes a long way, and even aesthetically pleasing tilesets can be annoying for other reasons (looking at you, Caves of Qud.) Tangledeep avoids all of these problems. On top of that, the way that enemies telegraph their attacks and the way that sound is used to convey information about what monsters are doing (melee and ranged sound different, special abilities have their own effects, etc.) also contributes to this.

On the other hand, my god I hate the stamina / energy system. I don't like the two redundant resource bars; it makes it very difficult to get a feel for how much you can cast, since you have two overlapping currencies and running out of either breaks most classes' internal synergy. Melee kills rewarding more powerups is exactly as frustrating and counter-intuitive as I thought it would be when the dev polled this thread about it years ago.

In DoomRL -- which I think is probably this game's closest cousin -- running out of ammunition is a failure state. It generally only happens only if you're grossly wasteful or went for an extremely ammo-hungry build without getting abilities to compensate for it. In Tangledeep, running out of stamina and energy all the time feels like the intended gameplay. You can offset this somewhat by buying food, but gold is also character upgrade currency and healing currency and gates a lot of the side mechanics, so the opportunity costs are both extremely complicated and potentially pretty harsh.

Think of it this way -- health management is pretty much a given, you do it or it's game over. The decision of whether to stay and grind or move on can be pretty difficult, but it's not over-complicated: you want to get as much leveling and looting done as you can without running out of juice. If you screw up, you lose the game and you start again.

None of this is true of stamina / energy. You're capable of fighting without one, the other, or both; if you commit hard enough to kiting with e.g. clever use of extra turns and quick step, you can potentially even fight with a minimum of stamina / energy without it coming at a significant cost in damage taken. (This is a self-reinforcing loop, too: having no resources promotes extremely cautious play because combat is riskier, but then the ranged resource penalty means you get less resources back.) Moreover, if you screw up stamina / energy management, you don't actually lose right away -- the game just suddenly gets really tedious and all the cool powers that define your class and build go away.

The sheer number of subsystems in the game is also a little overwhelming, but I'm sure that'll get more manageable with time and experimentation. Item dreams are very cool, having more control and relying less on RNG for your gear is something roguelikes in general could stand to have more of, and this way offers more customization and freedom than, for example, fixedart drops in ADOM or CoQ (e: as a way of solving the same problem, I mean).

I'm less a fan of monster pets; it seems like they're basically a way to trade tedium for power, since having a pet around means it contributes a lot of DPS and tanking without the player having to do anything or make any tactical decisions, but on the other hand raising them and managing their happiness and preventing them from dying is a lot of busy work between fights. Moreover, it seems like by process of elimination they must either be superfluous, or at some point the additional power they offer will become more or less mandatory; the former is inelegant design and the latter would be annoying since I'd really just rather not bother with them.

I still really dislike meta-progression as a mechanic, but I'm playing with it enabled anyways because it feels like (not to mention the game explicitly tells you) it's the intended balance / experience.

Overall I'm glad that more roguelikes are working on better ways to implement the attrition model of gameplay, where every encounter is meaningful in terms of resource management; on the other hand, there are still some really clunky and limiting aspects to it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 6, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

oh yeah and treasure sparkles being visible on the game map proper, but hidden if you tab to the minimap, is incredibly lame. "balance via hostile UI" sucks.

i realize there might be a concern re: the player just playing the entire game from the minimap, but honestly this could be solved by just sticking it in the corner instead of your only options being "almost the entire screen" or "none at all"

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 6, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Tangledeep reminds me a little of Dark Souls -- not because it's difficult or grim or any of the usual themes people associate with that game, but in that I have serious misgivings about a lot of the mechanics, but it fills such an unusual niche that you can forgive it's missteps (to some extent) because it does things other games wouldn't even try. (In Souls' case, invasions, in Tangledeep's case, really committing to attrition-based resource management.)

The combination of healing as a limited resource + respawning enemies is an extremely elegant solution to the "problem" of grinding; it makes it a strategic decision every step of the way. The actual amount of healing you get seems very well-calibrated as well.

It's also absolutely gorgeous and, far more importantly, readable. I overwhelmingly prefer ASCII in roguelikes because so often the graphics are muddy, enemies are poorly distinguished from backgrounds or look too much alike, etc. The simplicity and starkness of character + color goes a long way, and even aesthetically pleasing tilesets can be annoying for other reasons (looking at you, Caves of Qud.) Tangledeep avoids all of these problems. On top of that, the way that enemies telegraph their attacks and the way that sound is used to convey information about what monsters are doing (melee and ranged sound different, special abilities have their own effects, etc.) also contributes to this.

On the other hand, my god I hate the stamina / energy system. I don't like the two redundant resource bars; it makes it very difficult to get a feel for how much you can cast, since you have two overlapping currencies and running out of either breaks most classes' internal synergy. Melee kills rewarding more powerups is exactly as frustrating and counter-intuitive as I thought it would be when the dev polled this thread about it years ago.

In DoomRL -- which I think is probably this game's closest cousin -- running out of ammunition is a failure state. It generally only happens only if you're grossly wasteful or went for an extremely ammo-hungry build without getting abilities to compensate for it. In Tangledeep, running out of stamina and energy all the time feels like the intended gameplay. You can offset this somewhat by buying food, but gold is also character upgrade currency and healing currency and gates a lot of the side mechanics, so the opportunity costs are both extremely complicated and potentially pretty harsh.

Think of it this way -- health management is pretty much a given, you do it or it's game over. The decision of whether to stay and grind or move on can be pretty difficult, but it's not over-complicated: you want to get as much leveling and looting done as you can without running out of juice. If you screw up, you lose the game and you start again.

None of this is true of stamina / energy. You're capable of fighting without one, the other, or both; if you commit hard enough to kiting with e.g. clever use of extra turns and quick step, you can potentially even fight with a minimum of stamina / energy without it coming at a significant cost in damage taken. (This is a self-reinforcing loop, too: having no resources promotes extremely cautious play because combat is riskier, but then the ranged resource penalty means you get less resources back.) Moreover, if you screw up stamina / energy management, you don't actually lose right away -- the game just suddenly gets really tedious and all the cool powers that define your class and build go away.

The sheer number of subsystems in the game is also a little overwhelming, but I'm sure that'll get more manageable with time and experimentation. Item dreams are very cool, having more control and relying less on RNG for your gear is something roguelikes in general could stand to have more of, and this way offers more customization and freedom than, for example, fixedart drops in ADOM or CoQ (e: as a way of solving the same problem, I mean).

I'm less a fan of monster pets; it seems like they're basically a way to trade tedium for power, since having a pet around means it contributes a lot of DPS and tanking without the player having to do anything or make any tactical decisions, but on the other hand raising them and managing their happiness and preventing them from dying is a lot of busy work between fights. Moreover, it seems like by process of elimination they must either be superfluous, or at some point the additional power they offer will become more or less mandatory; the former is inelegant design and the latter would be annoying since I'd really just rather not bother with them.

I still really dislike meta-progression as a mechanic, but I'm playing with it enabled anyways because it feels like (not to mention the game explicitly tells you) it's the intended balance / experience.

Overall I'm glad that more roguelikes are working on better ways to implement the attrition model of gameplay, where every encounter is meaningful in terms of resource management; on the other hand, there are still some really clunky and limiting aspects to it.

I don't agree with your opinion on health/stamina. It isn't that complex or annoying. It's just two 'ammo pools' for your abilities. I usually put the stamina ones on the left side of the bar and the energy ones on the right side. Saying that having two is redundant is like saying that having weapons with different ammo in Doom in redundant.

You never have to buy enough food that the money vs food issue is ever a problem. You eventually swim on gold, and just using the fountains, taking the orbs before they disappear, and sleeping, and some food on the side, you should be ok. I don't know if maybe you are spamming your abilities more than you should, don't waste them in crappy enemies :P. With an exception, if you know you can recover that resource after combat because someone else dropped just dropped an orb.

It's the typical resource trade off, you can fight safely by spending more resources (energy, stamina) or by spending health (or just being more risky) by not using them. If you spend health, it means you will have to spend gold (for healing) or a healing flask. It seems a more interesting system than the one your described in DoomRL.

I agree some things are not intuitive, like melee dropping more orbs. On the other hand I played dozens of hours without knowing that and I had no problems, and in fact ranged is still the most 'efficient' option.

I'm also not a fan of the meta-progression. Part of it, is because it seems directed to another type of player, the grindy players, that will play dozens and dozens of hours doing dream items, collecting weapon sets, breeding pets. And In theory they say it will help you catch up with the zone where you were killed last time and no more, but in reality you can accrue more power than you had in the previous game, giving you more legendary items, more orbs that allow for more grinding, a more powerful pet, etc.

I don't think there is any 'balance via hostile UI', it's more surely an oversight. What's the problem, there is no sparks in the game while you have the minimap opened?
I don't even get why would anyone would try to play the entire game from the minimap?? what's to gain?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't think there is any 'balance via hostile UI', it's more surely an oversight. What's the problem, there is no sparks in the game while you have the minimap opened?
I don't even get why would anyone would try to play the entire game from the minimap?? what's to gain?

You can see the layout of the entire level and see enemies, loot, and other features from much further away with the minimap up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can see the layout of the entire level and see enemies, loot, and other features from much further away with the minimap up.

Well, it still a minimap, so for obvious reason it can't cram all the information of the real map on it. It's also missing different icons for the monsters, for example!

If you want to do big posts about Tangledeep, I would recommend the thread for it ;)

Also, if your problem with the game is that you would like to use more abilities, and maybe in exchange increase the difficulty a bit, it can be done with a mod, I can make it in a few minutes. It's basically a .xml with two lines:

<poweruphealing>x</poweruphealing>
<powerupdrop>x</powerupdrop>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ehh, I'm probably going to put at least another 20 hours into it to see if I get a better feel for how abilities are meant to be used, before I'd consider trying to mod it into the game I want to play. Thank you, though.