Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fart City posted:

I got into a fun conversation with a buddy at work today, and though I might open it up to the Spook-A-Doodle thread:

What's your pick for a great scene in an otherwise terrible movie? You know what I mean; you're watching a horror flick, its pacing drags, it has terrible acting, zero budget. All that fun stuff. And then suddenly there's this one really engaging thing that pops up out of nowhere.

The whole discussion initially kicked off talking about the phone call scene from The Mothman Prophecies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INtbv3cd1BA

Most of the movie barely registers a pulse, but then there's this creepy little one-off scene right in the middle that feels like it was pulled from a completely different film.

I actually really love the scene early on where Richard Gere finds himself driving in some town in the middle of nowhere with no memory of how he got there or why. Extremely strong bad dream vibes. But yeah the movie as a whole never lives up to its best scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I live in Chicago so it was a lot of fun to watch. Like 'I ATE AT THAT RESTAURANT THE WOLF DESTROYED!"

It's just a horror movie absolute fact that any movie set in your home city or where you live is just a little bit better because of it .

Prove me wrong.

This came up in the Halloween Challenge thread but as someone who used to live in eastern Kansas and currently lives in the Salt Lake area it's hard to immerse myself in the mood of Carnival of Souls because it's super obvious to me when they're using Kansas as a stand in for Utah. Also the Saltair being on the wrong side of the valley is jarring but that's a more understandable artistic change.

Acht posted:

Hmm haven't seen Thoroughbreds yet. Just read the IMDB entry and that seems like my kind of thing.
Hereditary didn't do much for me.

Thoroughbreds is dope but it's a matter of public record that it took me a few hours after watching it the first time for me to click with the movie and love it the way it deserves

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Somebody mentioned Starry Eyes and I agree it's super underrated. Fits nicely into occult horror which is like my favorite thing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually really love the scene early on where Richard Gere finds himself driving in some town in the middle of nowhere with no memory of how he got there or why. Extremely strong bad dream vibes. But yeah the movie as a whole never lives up to its best scenes.

The "real" story of Mothman and Point Pleasant is waaaaay crazier than what they did in the movie, I guess with Richard Gere they figured it had to be a serious drama. I'd like to see someone do a legit Mothman movie with time-traveling aliens who are actually working for the government as Men in Black and Mothman is like a renegade time traveler that's breaking the rules by warning people of the impending disaster.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

The "real" story of Mothman and Point Pleasant is waaaaay crazier than what they did in the movie, I guess with Richard Gere they figured it had to be a serious drama. I'd like to see someone do a legit Mothman movie with time-traveling aliens who are actually working for the government as Men in Black and Mothman is like a renegade time traveler that's breaking the rules by warning people of the impending disaster.

Last Podcast On The Left covers this pretty well in their Men In Black three-parter, if anyone wants to know more about just how kooky the whole thing is.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Somebody mentioned Starry Eyes and I agree it's super underrated. Fits nicely into occult horror which is like my favorite thing

Thirding this, I really liked it when it came out but I remember reading a lot of negative comments about it. Good to see it getting some praise here. I love occult stuff too so I might be biased.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Null of Undefined posted:

Everything A24 makes is great.

Incorrect, A24 is responsible for The Lobster, which is the honest-to-god worst movie I've seen in 10 years. gently caress mumblecore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

Last Podcast On The Left covers this pretty well in their Men In Black three-parter, if anyone wants to know more about just how kooky the whole thing is.

I cracked up at Henry’s goofy MIB voice, wiping lipstick off and poo poo.

I’m way to addicted to that podcast that I feel like a fiend.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Incorrect, A24 is responsible for The Lobster, which is the honest-to-god worst movie I've seen in 10 years. gently caress mumblecore.

What the hell does The Lobster have to do with mumblecore?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Regarding Starry Eyes, I watched it for the October challenge at my fiancee's behest, and... honestly, I wasn't really hot on it. It felt like the movie just really needed one more pass in the editing room to be truly great; the pacing was a bit flabby at times, especially with the restaurant subplot (which goes on for way longer than it needs to) and the ending (ditto), and the movie has a real habit of kinda being too cute for its own good on the whole.

I then went and gave it that final editing pass and tossed it on Vimeo, though I'm phoneposting so I don't have the link handy.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Easy Diff posted:

The Lobster is a great movie though. What didn't you like about it? and what FancyMike said, what does 'mumblecore' have to do with anything?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If anything the Lobster is enunciatecore

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

holy poo poo this rules

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Easy Diff posted:

This is your one bad horror thread opinion.

Mumblecore? Really?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mikeycp posted:

holy poo poo this rules
I know right!? I legit want to watch this movie

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here's my bad horror thread opinion: I really liked yellowbrickroad

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

This is your one bad horror thread opinion.

Mumblecore? Really?

John Carpenter's The Thing is mumblecore.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Slumber Party Massacre II is a WILD ride, jesus christ. Is part III any good?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Popelmon posted:

Slumber Party Massacre II is a WILD ride, jesus christ. Is part III any good?

they're all pretty fun iirc

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Here's my bad horror thread opinion: I really liked yellowbrickroad

Meh. Sure you want to use it on that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Lobster isn't mumblecore. Mumblecore Horror is generally defined as being low budget , like Butter on the Latch or The Invitation. If I had to point to a movie that was 100% a mumblecore horror it would be The Invitation. It's almost always has a sense of awkward humor , low budget, normal lighting, and 0 supernatural elements in the film.

The Lobster just barely registers as horror , its more a RomCom pitch black comedy than a horror movie.

Another one I just watched recently that was actually super good was Beast its on Shudder , people should watch it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 6, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They Look Like People was pretty mumblecore and good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
everybody watch Dream Home by Pang Ho-Cheung right now it rules

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Drunkboxer posted:

They Look Like People was pretty mumblecore and good.

The “Second Honeymoon” segment of V/H/S is a great example of horror mumblecore.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

The Lobster isn't mumblecore. Mumblecore Horror is generally defined as being low budget , like Butter on the Latch or The Invitation. If I had to point to a movie that was 100% a mumblecore horror it would be The Invitation. It's almost always has a sense of awkward humor , low budget, normal lighting, and 0 supernatural elements in the film.

The Lobster just barely registers as horror , its more a RomCom pitch black comedy than a horror movie.

Another one I just watched recently that was actually super good was Beast its on Shudder , people should watch it.

If The Invitation is mumblecore then mumblecore owns

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It Follows is mumblecore, right?

The one I just watched, Starfish, definitely is

https://youtu.be/U5XnW3c8P-Y

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Creep 1 & 2 are both mumblecore horror, as are, let's see...

House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
The Sacrament
Krisha
Queen of Earth
You're Next
The Guest
It Follows

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mikeycp posted:

everybody watch Dream Home by Pang Ho-Cheung right now it rules

Will do.

K. Waste posted:

Queen of Earth

Queen of Earth whips rear end.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Mumblecore is just Dogme 95 for improv students

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

K. Waste posted:

House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
The Sacrament
Krisha
Queen of Earth
You're Next
The Guest
It Follows

I agree with most of this but I'm not sure You're Next or The Guest really track to me

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
You’ve all made that word lose what little meaning it had to me

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

K. Waste posted:

House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
The Sacrament
Krisha
Queen of Earth
You're Next
The Guest
It Follows

I don't agree with that list totally because Mumblecore movies are noted for being rather improvised dialogue wise and I know from reading about it that The Invitation had some improvised scenes.

Like one of the few supernatural horror movies that' I'd call mumblecore is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbuU9yiUQUQ

Mumblecore is basically Hipster Horror.

I propose however a new genre an that is Retro Horror for movies like The Innkeeper, I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House , I Am a Ghost , House of the Devil , Wolf Cop, etc...

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 6, 2019

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I don't agree with that list totally because Mumblecore movies are noted for being rather improvised dialogue wise and I know from reading about it that The Invitation had some improvised scenes.

Like one of the few supernatural horror movies that' I'd call mumblecore is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbuU9yiUQUQ

Mumblecore is basically Hipster Horror.

I propose however a new genre an that is Retro Horror for movies like The Innkeeper, I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House , I Am a Ghost , House of the Devil , Wolf Cop, etc...

When I think of Mumblecore, I think of Duplass bros. stuff like Creep or Baghead.

editing out the video since the title LIED.

Stryder fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 6, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

flashy_mcflash posted:

I agree with most of this but I'm not sure You're Next or The Guest really track to me

Yeah, same. Neither of these align with mumblecore in my opinion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Wingard basically goes in the exact opposite direction and goes for maximalism rather than minimalism.

You're Next and The Guest are both extra as gently caress.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Right into my veins please.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK let me explain about The Lobster, and why it's mumblecore (and what mumble, to me, is):

1) It's plodding. The characters talk in an incredibly artificial, obtuse and useless way. Dialog is not there to advance the plot, or build character (the two uses for dialog), but to enhance the mood of the scene.

2) It's flat. It looks like garbage. It's cheap, it's uninterestingly framed and is seemingly designed to frustrate the viewer who is trying to enjoy the movie. I will concede, this is possibly what they were going for.

3) It's nonsensical. Not, "there's a hotel you go to find love or get turned into an animal," that's generic high-concept stuff. Charlie Kaufman throws out three ideas like that before breakfast. But the entire plot - it meanders, exhibits almost no concern for moving forward at a sensible, rising pace but rather in lurches and fits. The entire second half with the Anti-Hotel people is at least as bad. Again, I will concede, this is possibly by design.

When I think Mumblecore, I think boring, uninspired dialog matched with aggressively neutral framing and staging. It's a movie that rejects the idea of theatricality, as if *I'm* the rear end in a top hat for wanting to be entertained/spooked/laugh for 90-120 minutes.

Anyway The Lobster is the drizzling shits and I'm mad I wasted my afternoon on it.

Although I do take it back, I've seen a *few* worse films than The Lobster in the last 10 years:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 6, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is The Killing of a Sacred Deer mumblecore?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is evil bong mumblecore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Holy gently caress, Hereditary.

I was not prepared for that.