Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sepist posted:

I dont know if its age or my mom warning me about sitting too close to the screen, but my eyes are not as quick focusing as they used to be. First IT takes my lower back, now it's coming for my vision :argh:

Remember giant fuckoff CRT screens? Those things would give me a ripping headache and have me seeing double. Any modern high-res flatscreen is like a tender massage in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
These new looms with the knuckle-crusher plates instead of the finger-cutter-offer blades sure are an upgrade

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Your vision gets lovely as you get older, welcome the sweet embrace of coke bottle glasses and size 18 terminal font

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also you start to snore and get heartburn.

Or maybe I just need to start hitting the gym like a real adult.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have snored and gotten heartburn since I was 18, though both have gotten worse

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sounds like y’all are part of Club Sleep Apnea. Praise be 16 point font.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Virigoth posted:

I stop breathing for 40 seconds at a stretch before I even fall asleep

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Virigoth posted:

I used to start nodding off after work... as I was driving home... across a mountain range on a undivided highway.

CPAP machine has saved my life. And probably the lives of a few others.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Virigoth posted:

Did a sleep study and they said I don't have sleep Apnea

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
You guys remind me I need to get my eyes checked

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Remember you need to get your eyes checked.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, gently caress, I missed an email for a follow-up interview that came in FIVE GODDAMN DAYS AGO. Welp. I sent an email apologizing for missing it and saying that I had only seen it because I was going to send a follow-up email of my own, maybe I'll get lucky.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah, gently caress, I missed an email for a follow-up interview that came in FIVE GODDAMN DAYS AGO. Welp. I sent an email apologizing for missing it and saying that I had only seen it because I was going to send a follow-up email of my own, maybe I'll get lucky.

They should be calling you directly to schedule that stuff.

Sending that poo poo via email is bullshit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thankfully she still wants to schedule a second interview. It would be a 10k paycut from my last place, but I'm in a lovely position where I look overqualified for some stuff but similar stuff to what I've been doing needs different software experience than what I've been doing.

Still going to apply for one huge Hail Mary that would be a big pay jump from my last place. I don't have as much experience as they want (1.5 years vs 3) but there's a supply shortage for people with that software experience.

I was working for the company actively until August, and was terminated in February for failure to return from leave. I'm not sure how to handle that on the resume in this case, the recruiter may personally know my former boss depending on which recruiter with the company is handling it.

If asked about the leave I would say that there was a family emergency and I was taking care of a sick relative, but that the situation is over and won't come up again. Except I'd like to phrase it less coldly.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 5, 2019

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If asked about the leave I would say that there was a family emergency and I was taking care of a sick relative, but that the situation is over and won't come up again. Except I'd like to phrase it less coldly.

That's all I'd leave it at. Had a family emergency with a sick relative, and that the situation is resolved. It's not cold, its truthful.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I am starting to regret taking the job I did; though I do not regret leaving the last place, this place is (probably) better.

$Texas has turned into $Florida due to some changes in how pay is being handled; certain pay that I will be receiving, which is basically the raise I got by moving jobs, is going to be taxed as a capital gain instead of standard income....

Other things are bothering me as well, this MSP is pushing clients hard to purchase new equipment/services they don't need, which I kind of get, they get margins and it makes their clients easier to support if everyone uses the same poo poo, but I don't think I can stomach this long term.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How can salary be taxed as a capital gain? Are they paying you with stock?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

How can salary be taxed as a capital gain? Are they paying you with stock?

Basically it's hours based pay, I need to have a certain % of my hours be billable, to make sure people stay busy, don't slack on work and bill time. It makes sense for this kind of position, but the way it used to work (how I was told) and the way it is going to work in a month or two are completely different. Previously it was considered regular pay, now it's going to be considered a bonus and taxed accordingly.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bonus pay still isn't a capital gain. Them paying you in shares of stock that you then sell would be. Something sounds fishy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Something sounds fishy.

Agreeing with this. You should definitely talk to an accountant.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I haven't actually seen it, just hearing it second-hand from one of the other engineers here and also they mentioned there being a change like 2 weeks after I started.

So, probably incorrectly translated info? Not sure, I will need to see it for myself but apparently it's taxed higher than it previously was.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If that's the case then you're probably being incorrectly categorized as an independent contractor. You should really figure out what is going on and get that straightened out because if so, you are about to get absolutely hosed on taxes. [Edit: And if so, talk to an attorney.]

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
UGH ERP systems are the worst.
Not just because ours is incredibly terrible, which it is, but also because people.

I had a request from a BRAND NEW user that was incredibly vague and sounded a lot like she wanted blanket admin rights to view/change literally all employee info (at least for her department). And %DeptDirector% signed off on it and said to get it done. Buuuuuut that's not exactly how things work here. Anything that contains personal info like social security numbers, home addresses and phone numbers would have to go through HR and there had better be a drat good reason for it.

So I talked to her about it, she beat around the bush a bunch and after several attempts at asking specifically it was that she was trying to accomplish, she tells me that she wants to do time entry for the department.
Cool. No problem. Done. Her boss signed off on it.
Then she comes back to me saying she STILL can't do the things that she needs to do and "She should be able to get to all this employee information because that's how it worked in her last job." Blah, blah, blah, "THIS IS LITERALLY AFFECTING PRODUCTION," and so on.

So, I had to grab someone from the Finance department to help me sort out what the gently caress is going on, who then grabs someone from the HR department to sort out what the gently caress is going on, who then grabs all of us and heads to talk to %DeptDirector% He has no clue what the gently caress is going on either, he just says, "give her whatever permissions she is asking for."

Which then devolves into some crazy long explanation from HR about why SSN's, addresses, next of kin, phone numbers, salary, and bank routing and account numbers, shouldn't be made publicly available.
And this employee is STILL demanding that she have access to all this info :stare: and how our org is doing things all wrong and how 'things worked in her other jobs' :stare::stare: and how long she's done this for and so on...

Then %DeptDirector% agrees with her and starts going off on a tirade about how he has to sign and approve documents for payroll to confirm that people's timesheets are correct, and blah, blah, blah...

Thank GOD HR and Finance were there because that's when I interjected, "cool so I can close that ticket, right?" and just walked out leaving them all to hash out whether or not it's enough to make salary info public knowledge or if it needs to be tattooed on every single person's forehead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d be in favour of instantly firing anybody who starts a new job and spends the first two weeks telling anybody who will listen about how they used to do things in their old role.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

I’d be in favour of instantly firing anybody who starts a new job and spends the first two weeks telling anybody who will listen about how they used to do things in their old role.

“At my last job...” makes me nuts.

If your last job was such a Mecca of efficiency, why’d you leave it?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I just sent that application to the recruiter with the company I have on Linkedin. Their site wasn't working. In hindsight it probably is better to see if they will take it directly anyway. I also asked him to let me know if they had anything else I might be a good candidate for if they didn't like me for that one. Their whole job page is hosed, nothing shows up despite there being recommended ones showing on a sidebar.

Making 80k a year would be lifechanging for me, I wouldn't even care that that's the bottom of their range.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

UGH ERP systems are the worst.
Not just because ours is incredibly terrible, which it is, but also because people.

I had a request from a BRAND NEW user that was incredibly vague and sounded a lot like she wanted blanket admin rights to view/change literally all employee info (at least for her department). And %DeptDirector% signed off on it and said to get it done. Buuuuuut that's not exactly how things work here. Anything that contains personal info like social security numbers, home addresses and phone numbers would have to go through HR and there had better be a drat good reason for it.

So I talked to her about it, she beat around the bush a bunch and after several attempts at asking specifically it was that she was trying to accomplish, she tells me that she wants to do time entry for the department.
Cool. No problem. Done. Her boss signed off on it.
Then she comes back to me saying she STILL can't do the things that she needs to do and "She should be able to get to all this employee information because that's how it worked in her last job." Blah, blah, blah, "THIS IS LITERALLY AFFECTING PRODUCTION," and so on.

So, I had to grab someone from the Finance department to help me sort out what the gently caress is going on, who then grabs someone from the HR department to sort out what the gently caress is going on, who then grabs all of us and heads to talk to %DeptDirector% He has no clue what the gently caress is going on either, he just says, "give her whatever permissions she is asking for."

Which then devolves into some crazy long explanation from HR about why SSN's, addresses, next of kin, phone numbers, salary, and bank routing and account numbers, shouldn't be made publicly available.
And this employee is STILL demanding that she have access to all this info :stare: and how our org is doing things all wrong and how 'things worked in her other jobs' :stare::stare: and how long she's done this for and so on...

Then %DeptDirector% agrees with her and starts going off on a tirade about how he has to sign and approve documents for payroll to confirm that people's timesheets are correct, and blah, blah, blah...

Thank GOD HR and Finance were there because that's when I interjected, "cool so I can close that ticket, right?" and just walked out leaving them all to hash out whether or not it's enough to make salary info public knowledge or if it needs to be tattooed on every single person's forehead.
I mean, all the PII should definitely not be out there for all and sundry, but everyone should know everyone else's salary. Hell, it should be posted on the company website.

Keeping it secret only benefits employers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

If that's the case then you're probably being incorrectly categorized as an independent contractor. You should really figure out what is going on and get that straightened out because if so, you are about to get absolutely hosed on taxes. [Edit: And if so, talk to an attorney.]

The confusion is probably because bonuses are supplemental wages and can be taxed at a flat rate (25% iirc) which is probably higher than your regular income rate unless you make >$160k-ish

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Making 80k a year would be lifechanging for me, I wouldn't even care that that's the bottom of their range.

I hear ya on that, but never don’t counter offer or that lingering thought will be in the back of your mind, wondering what you left on the table(happening to me right now in a job I really enjoy but didn’t negotiate because I was unemployed)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I mean... I still do that a lot.
Not because I think it was better, but because I like telling ridiculous horror stories about how things should never be done again.

I use my last job as the perfect example of how things should never be done so I don't wind up doing stupid poo poo like this:

Edit:

Thanatosian posted:

I mean, all the PII should definitely not be out there for all and sundry, but everyone should know everyone else's salary. Hell, it should be posted on the company website.

Keeping it secret only benefits employers.

We're government. Salaries are already public and posted loving everywhere. Apparently it's not good enough and everyone should be made to wear a sign with their number.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 6, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am the 2U supported by a dremel case.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Fool posted:

I am the 2U supported by a dremel case.

and 2 cans of rack nuts. :colbert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm the commodity 8 port switch free-hanging by 3 cables.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Dude, you can't just post shock images like that.

EDIT: I'm the office chairs in the back of the pickup truck that will most definitely not fall out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

The confusion is probably because bonuses are supplemental wages and can be taxed at a flat rate (25% iirc) which is probably higher than your regular income rate unless you make >$160k-ish

Withheld, not taxed. If you get a big bonus withheld at 25% you'll get it back on your refund (or you can adjust your withholdings).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Showed these to my boss.

He is the consumer wireless router on top of the rack.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Withheld, not taxed. If you get a big bonus withheld at 25% you'll get it back on your refund (or you can adjust your withholdings).

True, important distinction.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean... I still do that a lot.
Not because I think it was better, but because I like telling ridiculous horror stories about how things should never be done again.

I use my last job as the perfect example of how things should never be done so I don't wind up doing stupid poo poo like this:
:gonk:

Horror stories are fine, I'm talking about the people who will start at a new place and bang on endlessly about how they used Outlook at the last job and have we heard about it and maybe we should switch from Gmail to it? The answer is yes we have heard about it, and shut the gently caress up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tetramin posted:

I hear ya on that, but never don’t counter offer or that lingering thought will be in the back of your mind, wondering what you left on the table(happening to me right now in a job I really enjoy but didn’t negotiate because I was unemployed)

True. If they're only willing to do the bottom because my experience is lower than they want I'm still fine with that though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This makes more sense, I didn't realize bonuses were taxed at a flat non-capital gains rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I am not sure if this is the place and I haven't seen a thread but is anyone able to explain why Apple is really the only tech company that gives a poo poo about privacy? I get they don't any social media or search platforms which makes it easy but I'm a little confounded how Apple ended up being this way.