Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

remusclaw posted:

Not really no. There are a lot of very small thin laptops now, and I have a very up to date desktop for all my other needs, so I am out of date on what the specifics are when it comes to Chromebooks and such. Whether they would use proprietary connectors and whether they would have hdmi connectors because of how small they are. Also, I didn't mention it earlier but my old laptop seemed incapable of outputting to a second screen at the highest resolutions and I wanted to make sure that whatever I got would be able to take advantage of my second screen, even if it itself only did 720 or whatever.

I admit, it is specifically to avoid stuff like Kodi that I want a laptop. I just want to run vlc or Media player classic without having to worry about setting up my desktop in the living room, or going through the hassle of setting up a streaming media player, as they all seem to have idiosyncrasies that drive me up the wall.

You should definitely give plex a go, i have the server running on a VPS with a google drive back end (7TB) and an apple tv on the living room tv and dining room tv for output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

RoboBoogie posted:

You should definitely give plex a go, i have the server running on a VPS with a google drive back end (7TB) and an apple tv on the living room tv and dining room tv for output.

I know its derailing a little but I need to know more about this setup. How are you doing acquisition? Do you have Sonarr somewhere sending stuff straight to google drive? Also whats the VPS like? I have some seriously cheap low-end VPS but if you were doing transcodes I assume it requires some power.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

AgentCow007 posted:

I know its derailing a little but I need to know more about this setup. How are you doing acquisition? Do you have Sonarr somewhere sending stuff straight to google drive? Also whats the VPS like? I have some seriously cheap low-end VPS but if you were doing transcodes I assume it requires some power.

sonarr and nzbget running on the same server as plex, its an atom processor server from scaleway. the server has a 200 mbit connection and i have a 100/100 connection so i dont do any transcoding. though with the x265 encoded videos it does take a few seconds to start up. its not a huge issue because i dont share my library

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Let's take the Plex/Kodi chat over to the relevant threads there.

Statutory Ape posted:

NUC is smaller/cleaner setup too which is good for most situations

NUCs are loving fantastic

I have one for my mom's primary computer. It is attached to the back of her desktop display via some vesa adapter and does it's job perfectly

If you're not using the GPIO pins on the raspberry pi, definitely look at the NUC as they have amazing, amaaazing driver support from Intel, as they're computers designed by and manufactured by Intel. They're basically Intel reference hardware.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

NUCs are loving fantastic
NUCing fantastic :downsrim:

Seriously though they are great. A NUC mounted to a VESA bracket on the back of the monitor is my standard desktop for customers that don't need a GPU.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there any reason why a Razer Blade 15 won't boot into Universal Boot CD from a flash drive? I hit F12 to go to the boot menu after restarting -> I select the UBCD option and hit enter -> the screen goes black for a half second and then it just shows me the boot menu again. I can select the regular boot to windows option and it boots that up fine, but it just won't boot the UBCD.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 5, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

space marine todd posted:

Is there any reason why a Razer Blade 15 won't boot into Universal Boot CD from a flash drive? I hit F12 to go to the boot menu after restarting -> I select the UBCD option and hit enter -> the screen goes black for a half second and then it just shows me the boot menu again. I can select the regular boot to windows option and it boots that up fine, but it just won't boot the UBCD.

Is Secure Boot enabled? It is by default on a lot of OEM-built machines (because it's a good thing for most users in most situations).

I'd assume UBCD is not using a signed bootloader, so if it's enabled you'l need to turn it off.

nerox
May 20, 2001

yomisei posted:

Asus MB169C+, been using the MB168+ Type-A one for quite a while.

Lenovo recently announcted its M14 USB-C monitor, but that's a while off.

I couldn't find the acer one in stock anywhere and ended up ordering this AOC one. It came today and upon plugging it in, it didn't work.

Turns out the Acer Predator I got won't do display over USB-C. :argh:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking at Dell machines: the G7 15" and the XPS 15 seem really similar. What fiddly things am I missing?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Addamere posted:

Looking at Dell machines: the G7 15" and the XPS 15 seem really similar. What fiddly things am I missing?

About 2lbs: 6.3lbs for the G7 vs 4-4.2lbs for the XPS. The G7 is more of a "desktop replacement", vs the XPS 15 is a "business mobile" unit. The G7 also has a lesser grade screen, with only ~62% sRGB vs the XPS's 115% (or 160% with the 4k screen). Battery life is also pretty one sided, with the G7 turning in a running time of about 5.5hrs vs the XPS's 10-12hrs.

Basically, you buy the G7 because you want a 1050Ti as cheaply as possible, or you want a 1060, and you want to plunk it down somewhere to game with. You buy the XPS 15 because you want a premium laptop that can last a full day, travel well, and also happens to have a 1050Ti for when you want to game.

e; FWIW, Walmart right now appears to have the XPS 15 on sale for under $1,000. Though it's odd because the model number listed doesn't line up with the specs in the title, so ymmv.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 5, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

About 2lbs: 6.3lbs for the G7 vs 4-4.2lbs for the XPS. The G7 is more of a "desktop replacement", vs the XPS 15 is a "business mobile" unit. The G7 also has a lesser grade screen, with only ~62% sRGB vs the XPS's 115% (or 160% with the 4k screen). Battery life is also pretty one sided, with the G7 turning in a running time of about 5.5hrs vs the XPS's 10-12hrs.

Basically, you buy the G7 because you want a 1050Ti as cheaply as possible, or you want a 1060, and you want to plunk it down somewhere to game with. You buy the XPS 15 because you want a premium laptop that can last a full day, travel well, and also happens to have a 1050Ti for when you want to game.

That's a really nice run-down and pretty much sells me on the XPS 15. Thanks!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Addamere posted:

That's a really nice run-down and pretty much sells me on the XPS 15. Thanks!

Do be aware that Dell has indicated there'll be at least some sort of refresh to the XPS 15 in March/April. The only part of the refresh that's been confirmed is that there will be a model/option with an OLED screen, but it also would be about the right time frame for them to also drop in a new GPU--probably the 2050/1150 or whatever NVidia ends up bothering to call it.

Basically, if you want to buy the bestest laptop for the next couple of years and aren't hugely price-sensitive, wait for the refresh if you can. Likewise, if you don't need the newest and greatest, and care more about price, you should start seeing close-outs on the current editions starting to pop up here soon.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

Do be aware that Dell has indicated there'll be at least some sort of refresh to the XPS 15 in March/April. The only part of the refresh that's been confirmed is that there will be a model/option with an OLED screen, but it also would be about the right time frame for them to also drop in a new GPU--probably the 2050/1150 or whatever NVidia ends up bothering to call it.

Basically, if you want to buy the bestest laptop for the next couple of years and aren't hugely price-sensitive, wait for the refresh if you can. Likewise, if you don't need the newest and greatest, and care more about price, you should start seeing close-outs on the current editions starting to pop up here soon.

I'll look out for clearance sales then. Thanks tonnes!

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

nerox posted:

I couldn't find the acer one in stock anywhere and ended up ordering this AOC one. It came today and upon plugging it in, it didn't work.

Turns out the Acer Predator I got won't do display over USB-C. :argh:

I just realized that the new Type C ones are Displayport Alt-Mode, while the Type A ones are using a DisplayLink chip+driver. While Type C ones are obviously better these days, if yours doesn't have DP Alt-Mode or none at all, the Type A one and additional cpu hog for the driver is giving you an additional gpu output.

nerox
May 20, 2001

yomisei posted:

I just realized that the new Type C ones are Displayport Alt-Mode, while the Type A ones are using a DisplayLink chip+driver. While Type C ones are obviously better these days, if yours doesn't have DP Alt-Mode or none at all, the Type A one and additional cpu hog for the driver is giving you an additional gpu output.

I was going to order the ASUS MB169B+ to try it out, since it is USB 3. Thankfully I can just send it all back to amazon.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

wolrah posted:

Is Secure Boot enabled? It is by default on a lot of OEM-built machines (because it's a good thing for most users in most situations).

I'd assume UBCD is not using a signed bootloader, so if it's enabled you'l need to turn it off.

Good point! I thought I turned it off, but I'll verify. Thanks!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Do MSI laptops have bad fans? I've got an MSI GS63VR 6RF and the GPU fans started squealing horribly anytime they spun up. I have never had this happen with any laptop of any age - my T420 still is working like the tank that it is.

I felt like an idiot as I tried to lubricate the fans on two separate occasions, but then I realized I need to remove the actual fan from the motor and lubricate the center piece of the fan unit. Thankfully, third time was the charm and the fans are in great working condition with no noise.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Laptop deals:

The current-gen Helios 300, refurb'd, via Newegg for $840. This is the benchmark for a mid-range, 1060 6 GB gaming laptop.

For a change, here's a nicely-equipped Asus with a 1060 and 120 Hz display for $1k. It has a HDD too for game storage (unlike the Helios) and really doesn't need any upgrades out of the box, so at the regular price of $1k vs. the Helios's $1.1k, this is the better buy despite the slightly "slower" display, but I'd still save $100+ on the refurb'd Helios deal above even if you have to buy an HDD for it (<$100 for a 2 TB 2.5".)

Acer Aspire 17" for $930. 1060, similarly spec'd to the other systems here, looks like only a 60 Hz, FHD display. Decently-priced for the specs, if you specifically want a 17"er and/or the other systems aren't available.

Here's an OK deal on what I think is the same Tongfeng-based system that was sold as the OP 15. ~$1.1k, 1060, 144 Hz, mech keyboard. The OP 15+ isn't available anymore so this is an acceptable alternative to say the Helios 300. This one should have a 2.5" bay and 2x m.2 slots (2 NVMe, 1 also supports SATA too.) It's the "worst" deal of all these, but comes with a nice 512 GB NVMe SSD with the best expansion options.

yomisei posted:

A given system could also have HDMI as an Alt Mode, either in place of or addition to DP (and/or TB3, and/or MHL (lol.)) The maddening part of all this is that it's very difficult to determine what hosts support which protocols (generally, a yea or nay on TB3 is the best we can get reliably) and the same for "USB-C" displays.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Laptop deals:

It's the "worst" deal of all these, but comes with a nice 512 GB NVMe SSD with the best expansion options.

You're also paying for weight: the Helios has great specs for the price, but at 6lbs + charger, it's going to be a pain to take anywhere. At ~81% sRGB, the Helios screen also isn't gonna impress anyone. The Tracer III is closer to 4.6lbs and 100% sRGB. So really it depends on what you want out of your laptop.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DrDork posted:

You're also paying for weight: the Helios has great specs for the price, but at 6lbs + charger, it's going to be a pain to take anywhere. At ~81% sRGB, the Helios screen also isn't gonna impress anyone. The Tracer III is closer to 4.6lbs and 100% sRGB. So really it depends on what you want out of your laptop.

True, but in this case it's a difference of $300+. That's an extra ~33%, which is nothing to ignore. You're right though, it depends specifically what you're looking for in a laptop, but the theme here was clearly "deals," as I wrote. That would emphasize the cheaper options, and I didn't think my brother's last-gen Helios was particularly heavy and don't have any issues with the display.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you buying a laptop or a desktop replacement that also happens to have a couple hours of battery backup

17" is no longer a functional laptop, I don't think I've ever seen one used outside of a private residence, certainly never while traveling

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Do MSI laptops have bad fans? I've got an MSI GS63VR 6RF and the GPU fans started squealing horribly anytime they spun up. I have never had this happen with any laptop of any age - my T420 still is working like the tank that it is.

I felt like an idiot as I tried to lubricate the fans on two separate occasions, but then I realized I need to remove the actual fan from the motor and lubricate the center piece of the fan unit. Thankfully, third time was the charm and the fans are in great working condition with no noise.

I had this exact problem with the GT62VR. The GPU fan stop spinning first and I didn't notice until the CPU fan stopped spinning later. At this point the heat has damaged the 1070 GPU. I get a lot of artifacting and crashes.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Are you buying a laptop or a desktop replacement that also happens to have a couple hours of battery backup

17" is no longer a functional laptop, I don't think I've ever seen one used outside of a private residence, certainly never while traveling

That may indeed be what some people are looking for in a gaming laptop: something that's mostly a desktop replacement, with its own UPS, that is occasionally portable when necessary. (Certainly any laptop is going to be more portable/manageable than a separate desktop+keyboard+monitor.)

And in general I agree with you in recommending against 17" laptops because they're less portable and usually not more functional than 15" laptops, plus you can just get the latter and attach an even larger external display, I'll just point out that there's one particular 17" laptop worth considering. Check out the dimensions between this and the 15" laptop that I frequently recommend.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
If I really did want to go the EGPU route for a laptop, what do you think are some of the best laptops for EGPU use and what are the enclosures (and/or gpus) I should consider.

I'm interested in exploring the laptops that don't have a dedicated GPU but are able to use EGPUs, as well as ones with built-in GPUs.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Spacedad posted:

If I really did want to go the EGPU route for a laptop, what do you think are some of the best laptops for EGPU use and what are the enclosures (and/or gpus) I should consider.

I'm interested in exploring the laptops that don't have a dedicated GPU but are able to use EGPUs, as well as ones with built-in GPUs.

The first requirement is TB3, and make sure the laptop has 4 not 2 lanes.

Next, ideally you'll have a non-ULV, 4+ core CPU, rather than a 2C4T ULV CPU like in many Ultrabooks. That's not to say that an X1 Carbon or a Razer Blade Stealth or whatever with such a CPU is a bad candidate for the "business laptop that can also game when docked at home" strategy, but nevertheless you asked so I'm just affirming that newer games (e.g. Battlefield 1) are able to take advantage of if not require 4 cores (e.g. GTA5.)

I haven't looked up enclosures in a while, but from what I remember, the Gigabyte Aorus models (1070, 1080,) were generally the cheapest complete units, while the Razer Core and Akitio Node Pro are the best DIY enclosures. The Aorus ones are a little flimsy but are functional and cheap. For the empty enclosures you're looking for something capacious enough to fit whatever graphics card you want to add and the power supply to support it (375 W would be the max but many GPUs, especially nVidia Pascal, use much less power,) and ideally the eGPU should output upwards of 100 W back to the laptop to potentially power it as well without having to connect a separate supply. Beyond that the extra ports an eGPU might have don't matter as you don't want to use them (they'll take bandwidth from the TB3 link needed by the GPU itself. Also for this reason output the video to an external monitor rather than sending it back to the laptop's built-in display.)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

my biggest bone to pick with EGPU enclosures is that i have zero justification to try one or play with such a setup :(

maybe next time im refreshing my ultrabook ill consider it. hell, im already considering the possibility of giving my gf the xps13 :shrug:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

my biggest bone to pick with EGPU enclosures is that i have zero justification to try one or play with such a setup :(

maybe next time im refreshing my ultrabook ill consider it. hell, im already considering the possibility of giving my gf the xps13 :shrug:

As I've described, they really only make sense for a few scenarios: adding a dGPU to a system that you already have that doesn't come so equipped; maintaining a single-ultrabook solution that is portable during the day for business but can be connected to the eGPU for gaming during down time; or sharing a single eGPU amongst multiple systems, especially when time facilitates (e.g. you play during the day but work or go to school in the evening, and your roommate has the opposite schedule.)

It doesn't make sense to build a new gaming setup around an eGPU, especially to couple one with a laptop and then transport both of them together for gaming instead of just getting a gaming laptop (which as we've discussed ad nauseum, are nowadays reasonably priced and quite performant.)

(Also, "bone to pick" makes no sense in this context. You not having a need for something isn't the same as having a problem with it.)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

(Also, "bone to pick" makes no sense in this context. You not having a need for something isn't the same as having a problem with it.)

Sure, my problem with it is that I think its cool and can't find a reason to own it.

That is my problem with it.

Since you brought it up :shrug:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
My GF is spending a significant portion of her time with her parents, 4+ hours away. She plays a lot of games, but none of them are super demanding, though they do chug at 720p on my cheap rear end HD620 laptop. She hates the way "gaming" laptops are styled. I saw this at Costco:

https://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p---Pale-Gold.product.100421634.html

Have there been any glaring issues with build quality/failure rates at this price point with HP lately?

Edit: I should say I have a stack of 250gb WD SSDs. I'd replace the 5400rpm drive immediately.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 8, 2019

nerox
May 20, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

My GF is spending a significant portion of her time with her parents, 4+ hours away. She plays a lot of games, but none of them are super demanding, though they do chug at 720p on my cheap rear end HD620 laptop. She hates the way "gaming" laptops are styled. I saw this at Costco:

https://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p---Pale-Gold.product.100421634.html

Have there been any glaring issues with build quality/failure rates at this price point with HP lately?

Edit: I should say I have a stack of 250gb WD SSDs. I'd replace the 5400rpm drive immediately.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-Benchmark-and-Specs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html

Be aware of what a MX150 can actually do.

Also, the pictures of that laptop makes me think you are going to have to disassemble the entire thing just to change out the hard drive.

Have you looked at a Dell G5? Its a gaming laptop that's not as :catdrugs: as most gaming laptops.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-gaming-laptops-and-notebooks/dell-g5-15-gaming/spd/g-series-15-5587-laptop/dncwg5f620h is the same pricepoint as the HP.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

You could take a look at the Lenovo Legion Y530/540 as well if you want something that can perform well but doesn't look super gamery. Aside for the dumb logo on the back that says "LEGION"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there any news about an update to the Lenovo X1 Yoga line? Seeing reviews that the keyboard is not great on the 3rd gen versus the 2nd (which I currently have for work, and enjoy fine). If it's getting long in the tooth I don't want to jump on one in the next few weeks if they have some good new tech / builds that are compelling.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I had the X1Y3 for a bit and can say the keyboard was about as good as any other modern thinkpad I've touched? The retracting mechanism (does the 2nd gen have that too?) takes away a tiny bit of travel but :shrug: I'd still put it above most every other brand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What about the XPS 15 2:1? It has Vega graphics and it looks as business as they come.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Milkman posted:

I had the X1Y3 for a bit and can say the keyboard was about as good as any other modern thinkpad I've touched? The retracting mechanism (does the 2nd gen have that too?) takes away a tiny bit of travel but :shrug: I'd still put it above most every other brand.

It was just one review, so I should take that with a grain of salt. The reviewer was talking about how great their gen 2 was and that the gen 3 seemed off and seemed to catch. Their 'objective' measure was a typing test of which they scored a 70 compared to a 110 or something.

I won't put too much stock in it all. Do you have the IR camera? Not sure that has any value, I doubt it's anything like FaceID. I much rather would have the 4G modem as I have a spare T-mobile tablet sim with 6GB of data a month that I want to slap in there (provided it works with PCs).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the tmobile tablet sim will work, at least from tmo's end

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

TraderStav posted:

It was just one review, so I should take that with a grain of salt. The reviewer was talking about how great their gen 2 was and that the gen 3 seemed off and seemed to catch. Their 'objective' measure was a typing test of which they scored a 70 compared to a 110 or something.

I won't put too much stock in it all. Do you have the IR camera? Not sure that has any value, I doubt it's anything like FaceID. I much rather would have the 4G modem as I have a spare T-mobile tablet sim with 6GB of data a month that I want to slap in there (provided it works with PCs).

No, I went with the plain camera with the privacy shutter. It already had a fingerprint reader for quick login.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

the tmobile tablet sim will work, at least from tmo's end

Nice, thanks for the feedback. I knew there was weirdness about the carrier allowing device types on different sim plans.

The Milkman posted:

No, I went with the plain camera with the privacy shutter. It already had a fingerprint reader for quick login.

Ah! Forgot about the fingerprint reader as my company disables mine. Maybe the current model will fit my needs and desires and I can save some dough as it's not new anymore.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Ok, what to buy post. My current laptop is dying and I'm lost when it comes to what to replace it with. I move constantly and can't be sure I'll have a desk, so a laptop is a requirement.

Needs:
-Full keyboard with numpad. I like my roguelikes.
- ~15" screen. Any bigger would be a pain to move around.
-Webcam.

Wants:
-Touchscreen. After using one for about three years now, I don't know if I can go back to non-touchscreen. I know this doesn't play well with gaming in general.
-Some gaming potential. Running GTA-5 level stuff would be nice. Not much of a gamer and I mostly play the less intensive stuff that comes out. I have zero interest in VR.
-As much battery life as possible. This won't do much travelling other than moving around the house when I'm cooking and maybe on the occasional short flight, but not having to plug in every couple hours would be nice.
-Being sturdy is a plus, I'm clumsy and would use it on my lap a lot.

Price limit: $1500, maybe $1700 if the difference would be life changing. $1000 would be pretty great if it could be managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Atomizer posted:

As I've described, they really only make sense for a few scenarios: adding a dGPU to a system that you already have that doesn't come so equipped; maintaining a single-ultrabook solution that is portable during the day for business but can be connected to the eGPU for gaming during down time; or sharing a single eGPU amongst multiple systems, especially when time facilitates (e.g. you play during the day but work or go to school in the evening, and your roommate has the opposite schedule.)

It doesn't make sense to build a new gaming setup around an eGPU, especially to couple one with a laptop and then transport both of them together for gaming instead of just getting a gaming laptop (which as we've discussed ad nauseum, are nowadays reasonably priced and quite performant.)

There's also the fact that the EGPU will be bottlenecked by thunderbolt 3. The current tech for EGPU is about a generation or two behind where it would need to be to be as good as a pure desktop experience.

Anyway, I'm just exploring options. It's an option for people in the cases you describe, and also for people who only can really purchase one system to do everything, including use for business/school. The appealing novelty of having 'my laptop dock desk and display' is also kind of neat I guess.

The chief problem is though that A) Egpu enclosures are ridiculously overpriced for what they actually do, and B) the aforementioned thunderbolt bottlenecking issues.

The more I explore these options the clearer it becomes that I really do just need a beefy desktop for my professional animation work. The options to get something to do work on the go right now are ridiculously expensive though.

I am very much in the market for a good laptop though. I'll be looking at ultrabooks, thin and lights, gaming laptops, and weighing my options.

I dunno how well an ipad pro would work as a laptop substitute (I will probably need a laptop AND it) but I am leaning towards that as the drawing experience is fantastic for artistic professionals. Sadly I can't use any of the animation software I use natively in iOS, but being able to draw and sketch ideas to a professional degree on the go is great. (Pretty much if apple puts out a macbook pro with the ipad pen tech I'll be running towards that as fast as my feet can carry me.)

Also, I was looking at Razer laptops (stealth, blade, and blade pro) out of interest - anyone have anything to say about those, or can recommend some alternative ultrabook/thin-and-light/gaming laptops that I would be happy would.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 9, 2019