Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

I’m down for shadow clone princess jutsu.

At the very least her key should give the Precure some kind of duplication attack. Also Gemini Fuwa would probably be creepy if it wasn't so adorable (her ears transform into two mini Fuwas attached to her head).

Based on upcoming episode titles, now that the gang's all here as of this week's installment it looks like it's time to set controls to outer space (and perhaps finally get to meet our infamous Top Hat Girl from the OP):

06 Yami no Imajinēshon!? Dāku Pen Shutsugen!
闇のイマジネーション!?ダークペン出現!
"An Imagination of Darkness!? The Dark Pen Appears!"

07 Wakuwaku! Roketto Shūri Daisakusen☆
ワクワク!ロケット修理大作戦☆
"Exciting! The Grand Strategy To Repair The Rocket☆"

08 Uchū e GO☆ Kenneru Hoshi wa Wandafuru!
宇宙へGO☆ケンネル星はワンダフル!
"Off To Space We GO☆ The Planet Kennel Is Wonderful!

So yeah, we're leaving Earth eventually (not sure for how long though). I'm interested to see how exactly this is going to work (I assume this also means that not all of the Star Princess keys are on Earth).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So with the 4 girls transformations out right now one thing is consistent is that Cure Star got shafted in all departments

Cure Milky has easily the best animated transformation, then its a toss up between Soleil and Selene and dead last goes to Star

Cure Soleil sings the best out of the 4, then its sort of a toss up between Milky and Selene with Star dead last again.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Madoka's father wanting to hunt an alien rocket down was not a plot line I was expecting this season even with Aliens. I wonder if Lala is not gonna end up school now actually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seeing as the girls will be leaving Earth and visiting other planets in a few episodes I'm curious how they're going to balance that with the school setting and the three human members familial responsibilities (especially Elena who is responsible for looking after her younger siblings).

On another note, not sure if anything significant was shown off in the preview as I haven't seen the most recent episode yet but the title of episode 6 mentions a dark pen so maybe our mystery girl from the opening will finally enter the picture.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fuwa has the power to open wormholes, right? they can go to other planets and come back in time for lunch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, forgot they had a quick travel system at their disposal. Still though, it's nice that we're actually getting some space adventures out of this as opposed to just being stuck on Earth the whole time.

As for the most recent episode itself, Madoka kind of reminds me of Karen from Yes 5 but I like her well enough. Sakurako so far appears to be set up as the Reina to Madoka's Alice.

It also just dawned on me that this is essentially Power Rangers in Space: Precure Version (with a bit of ToQger sprinkled in thanks to the power being drawn from IMAGINATION). I mean, we've got a group of humans who team up with an alien and become superheroes while searching the galaxy for some lost mentor figures (of sorts) and fighting off interstellar invaders. Also their ship's AI is a character in its own right and it's looking like our mid-season addition might also be an alien (possibly another resident of Lala's homeworld).

I'm also kind of curious if Hikaru's currently missing dad is going to be important later (the show hasn't really made it clear whether he's dead or just out of the picture at the moment, all we know is that he apparently shared her passion for space and a lot of the books and equipment she uses came from him).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 3, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

He was stolen by space aliens. He’ll come back as Cure Dad.

edit: Kaguya’s dad got an early start on becoming a grampus. He’s not a grandpappy yet, so I’ll just call him krampus because he’s still the most likely person to ruin christmas.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 3, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sure is something to come off 4 straight years of Precure parents starting out as decent to great to end up with 2 jerks in Star Twinkle

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sure is something to come off 4 straight years of Precure parents starting out as decent to great to end up with 2 jerks in Star Twinkle

Which isn't something we get that often as far as I can remember. The only other examples of jerk relatives in Precure I can think of are Emiru's brother (at first), grandfather and Aoi's butler initially (though I suppose you could count Towa being raised by a literal demon as well if you like) and of course there's also Michiru, Kaoru, and Yuri's respective "dads". The first three all came around eventually though so it's probably going to be same for Hikaru's grandfather and Madoka's dad.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 3, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Having higher stakes with the government snooping around is a really good development and it kinda makes sense. I haven't seen a Precure series yet where the local law enforcement/politicians actually get involved with monsters appearing. It happens pretty frequently in Rider/Sentai but magical girl series tend to not really have that happen, which is a bit odd if you think about it. Pretty sure someone in a position of authority is going to want to know what's happening with all these large monsters and explosions happening. And having the guy in charge of it be one of the Precure's fathers makes it even better.

And yeah, this episode just confirms Cure Soleil is the best singer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doki Doki addresses it a bit but mostly just so Alice can spend money to make it go away.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

All four synchronized!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni1TtuJn8Yc

Cure Milky's is my overall favorite but I think Elena has the best singing voice (not that you can really pick it out in this video, but.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In my opinion, Milky has the best overall transformation sequence, Soleil has the best rendition of the song and while they're all good in their own ways Star may be my favorite overall character out of the bunch (though as a Cure she's been massively overshadowed by her teammates so far, which is kind of weird for this series given it's usual Pink focus. This might change later though).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

with how star's transformation is noticeably simpler than everyone else's and the fact that she doesnt relaly have an elemental power the way the others do im fully expecting some kind of upgrade for her. itd fit with how they said they wanted to bring back in a bit of the toku/shonen influence with this season too

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

yeah I can 100% see Star getting an upgraded mis-season power up henshin

Or she'll just end up getting dunked on as each newer Cure gets an even better Henshin

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

yeah I can 100% see Star getting an upgraded mis-season power up henshin

Or she'll just end up getting dunked on as each newer Cure gets an even better Henshin

Watch the as our midseason Cure ends up with a Cure Scarlet level improvement over the rest of the cast's transformations just to really rub it in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, like I said I really like Hikaru as a character (also I haven't seen a Cure love her job this much since Megumi from HaCha) but as a Precure she's probably the blandest one on the team so far (which may possibly get even more apparent once Cure Cosmo enters the fray). So yeah, she could stand for an upgrade.

Though to be fair, there have been other seasons where the Pinks were decent characters but their friends generally made cooler superheroes (Yes 5, Smile, Go Princess, KiraKira). Hell, I'd argue that Scarlet has one of the best first fights of any Cure ("gently caress you Devil Mom").

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 4, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nagisa and Love are my favorite pink Cures. Nagisa because she's so grounded to the point of pessimism, which you don't usually see in lead magical girls, and Love because she's just so good at the opposite and helping EVERYONE GET THEIR HAPPINESS.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm also partial to Mana and Hibiki. If you've seen Kyoryuger Mana is essentialy the Daigo Kiryu of Precure (in both the good and bad aspects) and Hibiki is both a competent fighter and also not an idiot (though to be fair the whole Idiot Pink trope doesn't really come up as often in the series as some seem to think it does). Haruka from Go Princess is also really good.

As for the other common colors:

Blue: Erika, no question (though Aoi and Hime are decent as well)

Yellow: Tossup between Urara and Ako (Homare and Kirara are also good)

Purple: Yukari (though Lulu is a close second)

Red: Emiru, Akane, Rin, Akira

White: Honoka (though I kind of wish that snarky Honoka from the episode previews showed up more in the actual series), Mai

Green: Nao (Komachi and Lala are good too)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 4, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mana isn't really like Daigo at all. Daigo pushes past the line of being held in esteem and successful and being directly shilled by the narrative. Daigo is also about his own strength and Mana's about being as helpful and caring to others as possible. The only thing they have in common is the importance the narrative puts on them and the fact that a large amount of their cast really digs them; Mana never goes to the point of deliberately sidelining her teammates just so she could be the one to fight a strong dude. Even Parthenon Mode at the end had everyone still holding onto their powers, she never forcibly ejected them.

Sorry, it's just a comparison I've never fully enjoyed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pink: Haruka
Blue: Honestly, Lala, so far
Yellow: Kirara
Purple: Yuri
Red: Akira
Green: Also Lala

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Mana isn't really like Daigo at all. Daigo pushes past the line of being held in esteem and successful and being directly shilled by the narrative. Daigo is also about his own strength and Mana's about being as helpful and caring to others as possible. The only thing they have in common is the importance the narrative puts on them and the fact that a large amount of their cast really digs them; Mana never goes to the point of deliberately sidelining her teammates just so she could be the one to fight a strong dude. Even Parthenon Mode at the end had everyone still holding onto their powers, she never forcibly ejected them.

Sorry, it's just a comparison I've never fully enjoyed.

Fair enough (though as far as sidelining teammates go Megumi did sort of do that in HaCha), I still really like her though.

Also Lala is officially classified as a Green by Toei meaning Star Twinkle has no Blue Cure (yet anyway). This also means we now finally have enough Green Cures to make up a complete team (Mint, March, Felice, Parfait, Milky).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 4, 2019

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Larryb posted:

Fair enough (though as far as sidelining teammates go Megumi did sort of do that in HaCha), I still really like her though.

Also Lala is officially classified as a Green by Toei meaning Star Twinkle has no Blue Cure (yet anyway). This also means we now finally have enough Green Cures to make up a complete team (Mint, March, Felice, Parfait, Milky).

When your so desperate for the primary color humans are most sensitive to that you have to include cyan and rainbow just to meet quota.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

When your so desperate for the primary color humans are most sensitive to that you have to include cyan and rainbow just to meet quota.

Toei officially classifies Felice, Parfait and Milky as Green so that's what I'm going with (if we were just going by actual suit color than technically Nagisa would be Black and Hikari would be Pink).

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Larryb posted:

Toei officially classifies Felice, Parfait and Milky as Green so that's what I'm going with (if we were just going by actual suit color than technically Nagisa would be Black and Hikari would be Pink).

Who do think I was referring too when I said they were struggling to meet quota for green cures.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

Who do think I was referring too when I said they were struggling to meet quota for green cures.

Ah ok. Yeah, I've given up trying to understand how they classify colors in this franchise. I assume Nagisa is Pink despite literally being named Cure Black for consistency's sake as technically she's the leader of the Futari team and because of that Luminous was downgraded to Yellow.

Not sure what the justification for Parfait is though (Felice and Milky at least look vaugely greenish).

Hell, in the seasons they originally came from Shiny Luminous and Milky Rose weren't even considered to BE Precure (they were always referred to as separate entities by both the fairies and the villains). They only got grandfathered in late once the All Stars movies started being a thing.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 4, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If we ever get another Magical Girl Super Robot game it just means Cure Black can team with both the Pink and Black units for max fun!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, are you implying that they made one of those before?

Speaking of which we need more Black Cures in the franchise, the only other examples I can think of are Dark Precure (who was an enemy from beginning to end and probably doesn't count) and arguably Cure Tender. Other colors that might be neat to see would be Gold, Silver (though you could probably make a case for Sunshine and Moonlight as those are the colors they call out during one of their primary attacks and Sunshine's outfit is a much darker shade of yellow compared to the others), Orange (though Sunny sort of counts for this), and Brown (which might actually work better here than it would in Sentai).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 5, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They released one the Vita - Super Heroine Chronicles - but it's on the low end of SRW style games and the line up is very unexciting

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's extremely cheap and probably not that fun to play, but on the other hand a bunch of love interests from other shows crush on hibiki from symphogear in one scene

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They released one the Vita - Super Heroine Chronicles - but it's on the low end of SRW style games and the line up is very unexciting

Given the multitude of, hell, even more adult focused female lead content (that’s a word sandwich) the word I’d use is ‘disappointing’. A super robot wars magical girl game without Nanoha, who is basically a Super Robot in the form of a 10 year old girl, is just hollow.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given the multitude of, hell, even more adult focused female lead content (that’s a word sandwich) the word I’d use is ‘disappointing’. A super robot wars magical girl game without Nanoha, who is basically a Super Robot in the form of a 10 year old girl, is just hollow.

Subaru and Hibiki is like a crossover that needs to happen as much as Vita and Gaogaigar

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

戦姫絶唱シンフォギア Swan Song of the Valkyries: Symphogear
快盗天使ツインエンジェル Phantom Thief Angels: Twin Angel
京騒戯画 Kyousougiga
デ・ジ・キャラット Di Gi Charat
すーぱーそに子 Super Sonico
ひぐらしのなく頃に Higurashi When They Cry
緋弾のアリア Aria the Scarlet Ammo
IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉 IS <Infinite Stratos>
ゼロの使い魔 The Familiar of Zero
ドリームハンター麗夢 Dream Hunter Rem
バンプレストオリジナル Banpresto Originals

The only shwos here I'd say are really interesting in this context are Symphogear and Kyousougiga. Like, if you were making an actual Magical Girl Wars show and tossed one or two of the other things in there, that'd be fun and interesting, but an entire game of almost nothing but them feels like missing the point completely. And the Original is a dumb male self-insert. Also the Kyousougiga cast is really, really underused. Really, all the settings in general are underused, they don't even do anything with like, Super Sonico being an idol and Symphogear being there. There's a few funny dialogue scenes and some of the animations look okay even through the insanely cheap 3d models, but it's the essence of mediocrity.

And they didn't even license any of the music from the shows, so it's all just generic midis.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It does strike that they just picked up whatever was left on the licensing room floor.

Like, armchair CEO on this; I would have at least picked up Slayers, have a Cutie Honey in there for Go Nagai rep and would have gunned HARD for Nanoha. Hell, they had Queen's Blade assets ready to go (The game using the same engine as Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos), seems a waste not to have the characters in there (even if you couldn't necessarily do the stuff that series is infamous for in a SRW game)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 5, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh it's so scattered that I dunno if I'd even call it a "Magical Girl" game except in the most literal sense.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just put Happy Robo, Symphogear and Nanoha in a normal Super Robot wars game please and thanks

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well Magic Knight Rayearth is in the new SRW game, that's a step forward at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does Toei even allow them to use their characters for those games? I was just curious what the odds of something like Sailor Moon and/or Precure getting in are.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

There have been a bunch of Toei Super Robots in SRW and Toei licensed Kyousiugiga for Super Heroine Chronicles so they've let stuff appear in crossover games before. Sailor Moon just also has to go through Takeuchi and Precure probably gets held back cause they want to keep it a kids property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Super Robot Wars has had magical girls for quite a while now.

Say hello, Yui.