Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I saw Keemstar complaining about having no drama one day last week, then he spent all day tweeting about how furries are ruining the gaming community. I guess he finally discovered the internet. Speaking of which, I went back and started talking about Kevin Havens for Classic Something Awful again. The last video was a year and a half ago and I don't think I spent enough time on how lovely of a caregiver Kevin was so I might as well just try again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XL1_Ugh4bY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

my parents boyfriend posted:

I saw Keemstar complaining about having no drama one day last week, then he spent all day tweeting about how furries are ruining the gaming community. I guess he finally discovered the internet. Speaking of which, I went back and started talking about Kevin Havens for Classic Something Awful again. The last video was a year and a half ago and I don't think I spent enough time on how lovely of a caregiver Kevin was so I might as well just try again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XL1_Ugh4bY

Do Groverbath next

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Groverbath is a Doom .wad now, so I'm expecting mod reviewer IcarusLiv3s to be baffled at BathDoom's existence when the eventual video comes out.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Lessail posted:

i'll have you know that you can't do a spider-man movie without first doing the aunt may and uncle ben origin movie how else will their characters resonate with me

That's just asking for Trouble by Mark Millar

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 6, 2019

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm constantly made to wonder, with all of these e-pricks somehow getting super rich for just playing video games and screaming about women and black people into the digital void with no other marketable skills besides their gigantic personalities and maybe their ability to do some entry level video editing and audio engineering--is there any kind of bubble that they're all resting on just threatening to burst?

Like, how long can this famedouche economy last before the magic money stream dries out, and what happens after that? Or is this just the future, with an incredibly loud and dickish Neo Nouveau Riche crew living the high life and doing increasingly sociopathic "It's just a prank, bro" poo poo to each other and the poors for the last few livable decades the Earth has as a planet?

Shock jocks and the like have always been around, and in the current system the easiest way to get rich is to be a sociopath. None of this is especially new, it's just sprouted in a new medium.

Like, it sucks, but it's not like we're especially getting worse as a society. We're just as terrible as we've always been, but now more of us are in a position to notice it. (And hopefully do something about it.)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, a lot of YouTube guys are kinda just an evolution of an already old concept. I think of Keem as YouTube's Perez Hilton - just as Perez's audience was those who are interested in drama involving It Girls, Z-listers and all that, Keem does the same only for popular people on YouTube (should be noted, extrapolating on Dan's point: Keemstar is not part of the "alternative" on YouTube. He is part of the mainstream on YouTube, as Perez was (is?) for his thing. It's so easy to get to his stuff, after all: You watch these big people, you're in any way curious about what goes on in their lives away from what you see in their vids...well, guess who's there. Not that there aren't people who do commentary on the state of YouTube and it's big names well, but he's gonna be the first for many). The right-wing gonks are yer Rush Limbaughs and all that (if anything, they're kinda less free to do what they do and make money than someone like Rush Limbaugh is who's had a paid and sponsored job to spout crap on radio for decades) . It's just the introduction of old cliches and tropes into newer formats.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 6, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Augus posted:

it always baffles me when people young enough to have received participation awards whine that today’s youth are spoiled by participation awards.
They should know full well that kids don’t care about getting participation awards and the awards are there more to appease the parents than anything.

I've been under the assumption that participation awards are intended to foster the Pygmalion effect.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The whining about participation trophies is particularly irritating to me because there was not one student stupid enough to not realize they were just losers' trophies. None of those kids were as dumb as the adults who whine about participation trophies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

Groverbath is a Doom .wad now, so I'm expecting mod reviewer IcarusLiv3s to be baffled at BathDoom's existence when the eventual video comes out.

It's not IcarusLiv3s, but, as a matter of fact...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The whining about participation trophies is particularly irritating to me because there was not one student stupid enough to not realize they were just losers' trophies. None of those kids were as dumb as the adults who whine about participation trophies.

People who complain about participation trophies are universally people whose sense of self-worth doesn't come from accomplishments but from flaunting those accomplishments. They feel other people feeling good about themselves when they haven't "earned" that self-worth is bad, because it de-stabilizes their already fragile ego.

For example, the only experience I have with Keemstar is the time he spent an hour in a "debate" with WingsofRedemption which was all Keem being like "I am rich and successful and you aren't" which is especially petty when its against loving Wings of all people.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Aren't participation trophies just a joke gone astray? I didn't think they actually existed.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

They might exist but kids sure know the difference, trust me. Also, I was considering covering the chili thread, just haven't quite worked out how in my head yet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Aren't participation trophies just a joke gone astray? I didn't think they actually existed.
In my experience as a kid in the 90s they were the same green ribbon everytime. Only winners got lovely plastic trophies or pewter medals spray painted gold.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

In my experience as a kid in the 90s they were the same green ribbon everytime. Only winners got lovely plastic trophies or pewter medals spray painted gold.

Not much of a thing isn't it? And that leads onto another point: Such things have existed way, WAY before 'those goshdarn MILLENNIALS' was ever a thing, surely. Buncha "WELL BACK IN MAH DAY" nonsense. Boomers said it about Gen Xers and then it went down the line.

We never had so much as a green ribbon anyway, so I'll just put it down to Yanks being Yanks.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As an anarcho capitalist, I believe that the free hand of the market will adequately reward children in a way that is fair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My assumption has always been that participation trophies were for the benefit of the parent.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm also reminded of fundraisers for kids (has somebody ever done an expose or something on these?) where the prizes for performance (read: having a huge, rich family to graciously dump money into them) ranged from the top tier of bikes and Super Nintendos and whatever else a 90s kid would lose their mind over all the way down to leftover 1 ticket arcade prizes like lovely erasers or cheapo pencil sets.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

I'm also reminded of fundraisers for kids (has somebody ever done an expose or something on these?) where the prizes for performance (read: having a huge, rich family to graciously dump money into them) ranged from the top tier of bikes and Super Nintendos and whatever else a 90s kid would lose their mind over all the way down to leftover 1 ticket arcade prizes like lovely erasers or cheapo pencil sets.

I don't remember fundraisers like that, but I do remember selling See's Candy for either school or boy scouts with a similar prize variation.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the free hand of the market invented participation trophies as a way to sell more tat to schools and therefore they are sacred relics and cannot be criticised.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
When I was in fourth grade I got a participation trophy for being in an intramural kids basketball league that didn't keep score or anything

even then I was like "this thing is dumb"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I am super down for the old internet readings, much more than stuff like the revenge subreddits.

Did the creepy stuff like Let's Not Meet stop offering good material, or was it just unpopular?

EDIT:

The stupidest thing about the "Participation Trophies" meme is that the people whining about them are usually the generation who were giving out the trophies, so if the kids turned out lovely, it was your stupid fault, rear end in a top hat.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 6, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also speaking as a person who got a lot of PARTICIPANT ribbons as a kid because he sucked at doing anything athletic, such "trophies" are a disincentive and a mark of shame if anything because they're one giant "YOU SUCK!" badge for the kid who gets them.

gently caress off, boomer trash.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I remember those, but I can't remember what big-ticket they offered that I wanted. Guess it doesn't matter now. For us, though, I don't think it was money directly, but rather selling candy/cookie dough/etc., and with that, it banked on your parents getting friends/co-workers/relatives to buy it.

One caveat I have with the 'participation award' deal, is that I think it's important that you don't highlight accomplishments that aren't really remarkable or don't make much of a difference. This is maybe a bad example, but something like a 'perfect attendance award' or a dean's list certificate might seem like a big deal, but in the future, an employer isn't going to give a hoot about it. I say this because I had a few things akin to that in my portfolio which I thought would make a good impression in interviews, but I don't think it made much of a difference. :sigh:

Still, I think Pygmalion effect is the idea behind it, and giving people some kind of praise or recognition for their efforts, can help them give them the push in striving to be better or to improve themselves. I think it just depends on how it's done.

On the opposite (adjacent?) end of the spectrum, you would be like Bob here:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I guess I wasn't clear, I meant fundraisers like selling candy or crappy catalog junk or whatever, not literally dumping money directly into a fund.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also speaking as a person who got a lot of PARTICIPANT ribbons as a kid because he sucked at doing anything athletic, such "trophies" are a disincentive and a mark of shame if anything because they're one giant "YOU SUCK!" badge for the kid who gets them.

gently caress off, boomer trash.

:same:

Ironically school instilled a really gross and unhealthy competitive streak in me to the point where now I basically can't play competitive games online because I take my performance way too seriously.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 6, 2019

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I don't know why they call it a participation trophy. It was always a ribbon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
"Participation trophy" sounds better as a spittle-flecked invective.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

Because "participation trophy" is a more outrage-inducing term. The idea of kids walking away with an entire trophy just for showing up is a much more stirring image than the reality of them getting a slip of nylon weave with a gold embossed 245th Place at the Local School Cross Country Meet on it which they conveniently "lose" out the car window on the drive home.

e: ^^

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It is also really funny because for most kids who actually did get trophies, the only piece of metal in the entire thing is the screw holding it to the base, because it turns out public schools don't have any money to spend on fancy prizes either way.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think they were also there as a side effect of the other lovely parents who turned every 6th-grade pick-up league into a super serious thing and became the sports equivalent of stage moms. The little trophies and ribbons made the ending ceremony slightly less awkward as the one team of talented kids who mysteriously all ended up on the same team took their victory lap.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Shock jocks and the like have always been around, and in the current system the easiest way to get rich is to be a sociopath. None of this is especially new, it's just sprouted in a new medium.

Like, it sucks, but it's not like we're especially getting worse as a society. We're just as terrible as we've always been, but now more of us are in a position to notice it. (And hopefully do something about it.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FoldableHuman posted:

Depends on the sport. I played minor hockey and we got trophies for losing because hey, you've already shelled out hundreds of bucks for equipment, might as well make a trophy while you're at it.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

FoldableHuman posted:

I actually got a literal participation trophy once when I was a kid. I wasn't athletic enough to earn any of the trophies for being good at anything sport related, but after attending this after school activity group for two years straight the organizers gave me a pity "Thanks for turning up i guess?" trophy because I was the only kid who didn't get anything. Nothing more self esteem destroying than a "You get this because you exist and that's it" trophy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbiLMzjmXR0

A friend of mine watched all the Madea movies to review the new Madea, and he's got a lot to say.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I guess I wasn't clear, I meant fundraisers like selling candy or crappy catalog junk or whatever, not literally dumping money directly into a fund.

Ironically school instilled a really gross and unhealthy competitive streak in me to the point where now I basically can't play competitive games online because I take my performance way too seriously.

Oh, the catalog junk ones I vaguely remember too. Maybe it was something in those catalog I wanted more than one of the actual prizes.

I never did athletics, so I never was in a position to get any kind of trophy award. There were other little things throughout school in classes and whatnot that I recall being competitive, but again, I can't remember any details.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Depends on the sport. I played minor hockey and we got trophies for losing because hey, you've already shelled out hundreds of bucks for equipment, might as well make a trophy while you're at it.

Yeah when I played Soccer we got small plastic trophies. I think the first time I took it a bit seriously because our team legitimately did pretty well that season. The second year the trophy looked slightly nicer but our team was literally one of the worst and we were out as soon as the playoffs started. Any chance of that meaning anything went out the door at that point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh now I also remember right next to attendance awards were, pre-high school anyway, "Citizenship Awards" which I think were just a fancy way of saying I didn't punch or bite any of the other kids in my class that quarter, good job.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did he try to go after SonicFox? That would have been funny. Not for Keem, but everybody else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I Before E posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbiLMzjmXR0

A friend of mine watched all the Madea movies to review the new Madea, and he's got a lot to say.

Is his eye okay? It's looks a bit bloody. Kinda like when my brother got eye surgery.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Did he try to go after SonicFox? That would have been funny. Not for Keem, but everybody else.

If I had to say, I think he was copying Memology101 who got onto it because of SonicFox. I mean, SonicFox literally likes gay furry porn on his public twitter account as a sponsored pro fighting game player and I was pretty incredulous about that when I followed him but I don't think he's about to have any shame about it. I'd have things to say about SonicFox and his ego but he always wins so I think he deserves it. Hard to say anything.

my parents boyfriend fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I've seen people posit that the predominance of impostor syndrome among Millennials is because of participation awards, because those taught us not to trust accolades as a measure of success.

Dunno if I believe it 100% but getting them definitely sucked.