Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mordred is textually contradictory with regards to their self-image, so there's plenty of room for Mo-San "Red Boy" Bikini Style reads. I've seen people get militant about it, but otoh that's understandable considering how headass people can be about LGBT stuff even when the text or the author is very explicit about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Mordred is a loving idiot, remember the big stupid ideas for Summer?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
But Mordred's summer buildings were the best ones?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

uhhh no

but iirc their saber profile uses male pronouns and then the rider profile uses female pronouns which seems very ???

Mordred's Saber profile pretty explicitly says "It's complicated" and lists gender as female, but for what it's worth the translation isn't very accurate. Japanese doesn't use his/her very often but the one time they do in the profile at the end it's "her", which was translated to "him".

Part of the confusion might stem from dialogue with the other knights, who never saw Mordred without the armor and treated her as a man. I wanna say they do the same with Artoria sometimes, though.

I don't think it's at the level where anyone should be getting upset about it, to be honest.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

It's this jerkface!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
There was a twitter thread that expounded about it a couple of weeks ago, but the male pronouns in Saber Mordred's profile weren't there in the original, so it's rather odd that whoever translated it felt the need to add them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If someone wants to read mordred as a transdude it clearly isnt the authorial intent but also theres plenty of things that support it too and its fiction

It sucks to go 'lol tumblr' over a pretty reasonable interpretation of a fictional character. Its one thing if people are getting mad at you for using female pronouns for them, its another if they just read them that way

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It is simple how to deal with Mordred. Do not bad-mouth King Arthur. Do not praise King Arthur. Do not treat him like a woman. Also, do not bluntly treat him like a man.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If people had just more clearly told Mordred that building a big dumb statue of herself thats like 2 miles high is a dumb idea and also building a high speed mining cart or something dumb like that is equally stupid and life threatening, maybe Camelot wouldn't have fallen, who knows?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Man, gently caress Camelot.
Also give me Lancer Mo-san already.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbf that statue's happening one way or the other

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I will say that people ignoring authorial intent with their headcanons is something that I get irrationally annoyed by, so part of that is indeed a personal failing on my part.

The reason I said 'Oh no, tumblr' is not because hyperbole or because I was being dismissive, but because I actually did go on tumblr pretty often in the past (A bunch of artists I liked posted there, and a friend ran a devblog for his game there), and I did read the FGO tag. And I came across more than one poster who was militant about that interpretation of the character, to the degree of declaring that Summer Mordred is bad/out of character because it uses female pronouns.

Also unrelated question: Why does Shinjuku Archer have a butterfly motif? I just suddenly realized that I've beat Shinjuku and that never got explained.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If Camelot doesn't build it me and motto will

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Crasical posted:

Also unrelated question: Why does Shinjuku Archer have a butterfly motif? I just suddenly realized that I've beat Shinjuku and that never got explained.

from Materials Book V

"Comment from Illustrator
I was certainly not expecting that it would result in this many characters so far, like this suspicious old man who is being given all sorts of nicknames such as Shincha[1], Shinjuku Ojisan and Around 50. The image that was being depicted at the time was cold-hearted and unjust, and he was designed with a calculating and intellectual image, but I am taking my hat off to Mr. Writer who broke through that stereotype and obliged to write him as who he is now fascinatingly! Truly amazing! Design-wise, the Ulysses butterflies are a metaphor for a frail victim and the shedding of a disguise during metamorphosis, the chameleon is a metaphor for camouflage, and the spiderweb in the background is a metaphor for a mastermind manipulating crimes from the center; a metaphorical old man. In addition, he is also an old man whose True Name being hidden was not functioning very well for him. I can say it at last, but I came up with and depicted the orientation and pose in the drawings of Moriarty’s standing pose so that it turns out the opposite to Holmes’. (Raita Honjou)"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Shut up everyone, half embers for the next week

https://fate-go.us/news/?category=NEWS&article=%2Fiframe%2F2019%2F0305_ember_gathering%2F

blossomingthing
Feb 28, 2019

self-ascribed 'big lesbian'
Mo always struck me as Probably NB or something, since the only part of his gender he's actually assertive about is 'don't call me a woman'.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

BEGIN THE HARVEST

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

blossomingthing posted:

Mo always struck me as Probably NB or something, since the only part of his gender he's actually assertive about is 'don't call me a woman'.

mordred looking at their life experiences and resolving "gender is a gently caress" is an idea I like, yeah.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe I can max out Quetz from this next week.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I wish hands gave double drops instead of halving the AP cost, but I'm lazy like that.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

yeah i don't really care what pronouns people use for d'eon but getting all 'yikes' because someone used one that he uses is a bit weird

d'eon is, historically, a trans woman

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

and not to mention that d'eon is just considered nonbinary in the game in the first place

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

in conclusion, d'eon is many things, but definitely not 'a boy dressing as a girl'

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Re: Mordred

Back in Arthurian times, weren't women considered weaker/inferior and delicate and etc.?
Like, I thought that was part of the reason Altria had to go by Arthur and let everyone think she was actually a man, so people would accept her rule and not throw a fit about being led by a female King.

That was how I took Mordred's "don't treat me like a woman" bit, since that would be treating her as a lesser person despite her strength.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, Mordred's whole deal is tied up closely enough into all the weird plot stuff surrounding King Arthur, and into Mordred's complicated relationship to King Arthur, that it's kinda hard to pull out a clear statement about gender identity. I think I recall seeing an interview at one point where Nasu clarified that Mordred does see herself as a woman, she just has huge issues about the idea of other people seeing her that way.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
d’Eon is whatever their Master wants them to be and that’s all that matters

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

the_steve posted:

Re: Mordred

Back in Arthurian times, weren't women considered weaker/inferior and delicate and etc.?
Like, I thought that was part of the reason Altria had to go by Arthur and let everyone think she was actually a man, so people would accept her rule and not throw a fit about being led by a female King.

That was how I took Mordred's "don't treat me like a woman" bit, since that would be treating her as a lesser person despite her strength.

Yeah, my impression was that it was a pride based thing having to do with the time that Mordred lived in, she knew that being seen as a woman would result in a lack of respect so she maintained the fiction of her being a him. It was more about being hungry for respect and acknowledgement of her abilities than a specific hang up over gender.

At least that's my take on Mordred's character in FGO.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Still going really slow on Shinjuku, just got Archer's true name reveal, and decided to meme-roll on the Shinjuku 1 banner (already gotten NP2 Lobo out of it, and Emiya Alter from the 2nd) because he just said he actually wanted to be in my service. Out popped my fourth Zerker Vlad. I think He's stalking me.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Well, I was going to save these apples for events, but I have an Edison and Yan Qing to level, sooo...

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did Mordred even know Artoria was a woman?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bakanogami posted:

Did Mordred even know Artoria was a woman?

Pretty sure all the Round Table Knights knew, they just didn't care/accepted it/dealt with it or what have you.

Mordred was the only one who kept her Identity concealed, near as I can guess, with that Secret of Pedigree trait she has.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s a shame the Fate community is so invested in this kind of poo poo, when you play as a main character who can change gender back and forth at the press of a button.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Pretty sure all the Round Table Knights knew, they just didn't care/accepted it/dealt with it or what have you.

Mordred was the only one who kept her Identity concealed, near as I can guess, with that Secret of Pedigree trait she has.

We know all the knights didn't know. Garden of Avalon said that Merlin, Uther, Ector, Kay, and Guinevere knew, but that it was a closely guarded secret. Agravain didn't learn of it until he uncovered the affair between Lancelot and Guinevere. But did Morgan know? If she did, why didn't she tell her son Agravain? Even if she didn't notice when she conceived Mordred because of Merlin's shenanigans, wouldn't she have noticed when the genetically identical homunculus she created of the king had girl parts? Wouldn't Mordred have noticed?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

It’s a shame the Fate community is so invested in this kind of poo poo, when you play as a main character who can change gender back and forth at the press of a button.

yeah, it is a shame that people care about lore and other things that i personally don't

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Billzasilver posted:

i think its good that people are invested in this, imo

its certainly more interesting to think about than whether or not valkyrie can np loop or whatever the hell

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Bakanogami posted:

We know all the knights didn't know. Garden of Avalon said that Merlin, Uther, Ector, Kay, and Guinevere knew, but that it was a closely guarded secret. Agravain didn't learn of it until he uncovered the affair between Lancelot and Guinevere. But did Morgan know? If she did, why didn't she tell her son Agravain? Even if she didn't notice when she conceived Mordred because of Merlin's shenanigans, wouldn't she have noticed when the genetically identical homunculus she created of the king had girl parts? Wouldn't Mordred have noticed?

I believe by the time Morgan found out about Artoria's true gender, Agravain had already basically jumped ship from her side. He does have an absolute loathing of Morgan after all, and she is central to his mysogonistic view of the world, so she had probably already written him off as being against her.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Welp so much for finishing Shinjuku anytime soon.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Bakanogami posted:

I imagine Morgan would've been a bit more put off on by Mordred turning out how she did if she really believed Saber was a dude. Plus, in terms of shenanigans, she's supposed to be second to Merlin. So I don't see why she wouldn't know.

Similarly, I imagine Mordred just plain didn't care either way. She wants what she wants, which is to kick rear end, and get respect. And nobody respects her.

Since the Camelot Gang is up for discussion, why are people so hype for Proto Arthur? Is he better than his franchise-mainlining counterpart? Is Fate Prototype much loved?

Or is it because he's handsome? Or all of the above.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

some people think saber is boring since she's the fate headliner. but she's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Proto Arthur is a classic hero and he's also very pretty.