Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Quantum Shart posted:

Where the gently caress did I say he was anything approaching good?!

The fact that you’d take him over Titus.

I really enjoy Titus’s tweets but in anything more longform I find him a harmless bore. That puts him miles ahead of an actively harmful dinosaur like Newman who knows exactly who he is hurting and decides to do it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Holy gently caress you guys are deep core mining your own sphincters to get polemic on bad AFL persons yikes

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Quantum Shart posted:

Holy gently caress you guys are deep core mining your own sphincters to get polemic on bad AFL persons yikes

Sam Newman is a shitstain on humanity.
Titus O'reilly is a sometimes funny, never proofreading AFL comic, with the added benefit of him being a Melbourne supporter who will suffer publicly when they Melbourne their way out of contention over the next 5 years (I'm guessing)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Quantum Shart posted:

:hmmyes: you'd really have to dig deep to find examples of Sam Newman's racism and transphobia and... he did it on the show? About football? Whoops!

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sam Newman was most recently defending Andrew Bolt's Pell denialism

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Holy poo poo are you guys seriously trying to position me as defending Sam Newman?! That's a curvier proposition than Carlisle's spine.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Quantum Shart posted:

Holy poo poo are you guys seriously trying to position me as defending Sam Newman?! That's a curvier proposition than Carlisle's spine.

You're really insistent on digging your heels in here, huh? Stuck on defending a bad position and accusing everyone else of being too uptight about it...

It kinda reminds me of someone....

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Quantum Shart posted:

Dude, you were the one who started it with suggesting Newman is better than Titus. Step away from this thread for a while.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

We need AFL: N/V and AFL: Game Day threads like the other sports. I'll stick to game day, cos this thread delves into political views and off-field poo poo way too much.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
There’s only like ten of us though I don’t think we deserve more than one thread

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Quantum Shart posted:

Quantum Shart posted:

I'd take Sam over Titus tbh

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

realbez posted:

There’s only like ten of us though I don’t think we deserve more than one thread

Yeah I don't want to have to click through multiple threads, please don't make more

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
If you want just game day chat, just go to the end of the thread on a Friday morning during season proper.

All we have at this time of the year are dumb arguments about footy politics, punctuated by AFLW

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My favourite soft drink is Passiona

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The only time we've spun off a thread was for the finals one year and I think most people ended up sticking in the main so it didn't really work out. I found it discombobulating myself.

I don't even mind the fantasy stuff being in the main thread any more and if we can talk about that we can certainly talk about the dumb stats stuff that I do.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-scraps-expensive-led-screens-after-brief-trial-20190306-p5128q.html

quote:

THE AGE › Annotations
AFL scraps expensive LED screens after brief trial
SAM MCCLURE MARCH 06, 2019
The AFL’s expensive new gizmo will be scrapped after just one trial, with the LED boards used on the boundary line deemed inappropriate for use during games.

Despite the AFL spending nearly $5000 per board and waiting weeks for delivery from overseas, it’s understood the screens won’t make it to the home-and-away season, after it was found that they can’t be seen in the sun.

The Age understands that clubs have been told to use their own boards instead and have been asked to return the screens to the AFL.

The failed trial of the monitors came as no surprise to several clubs, who complained about the lack of functionality, with the screens believed to weigh upwards of seven kilograms each.

They were also virtually invisible to players when they face the sun.

Clubs have been told to use their own boards, which must fit in the dimensions of 800 millimetres x 600 millimetres and cannot have sponsor advertising attached.

Everything else, including what the boards are made from and the size of the font used, is at the discretion of the clubs. Only one board can be used at a time.

Clubs are expected to concentrate the use of their own boards for rotations and basic tactical changes, such as attacking or defensive game styles that are likely to be dictated by different colours.

Before the failed trial, the introduction of the LED screens was seen by several clubs as a strange decision and a mini backflip by the AFL, given it had previously limited the use of runners to make the game less coached.

Clubs then found the systems difficult to operate and there remained confusion over what kind of symbols could be used during games.

“We didn’t use the message board on the weekend because we knew that they wouldn’t work,” Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan said on Wednesday.

“It was hard to see in the sun … we’ve been given the opportunity this week to find our own board.”

It was initially stated that the screens could portray symbols and numbers before emojis were also discussed.

Although the AFL has asked clubs to return the screens it's unclear what the league will use them for.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 6, 2019

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Pick one up for my local club, they could use one.

I bid 1$

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I propose that a club uses a mirror for their board and they then use that to direct the sun into the eyes of the opposition players. This would be inline with the AFLs dominant policy of "worst/stupidest option".

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

quote:

Despite the AFL spending nearly $5000 per board and waiting weeks for delivery from overseas, it’s understood the screens won’t make it to the home-and-away season, after it was found that they can’t be seen in the sun.

I didn't know the Betoota Advocate was doing sports satire these days.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Somehow I totally missed the whole "we're doing LED screens" thing until this weekend and I still haven't figured out why. What are they supposed to replace? Are runners not allowed to speak now?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No runners on field during play.

They can only come on after a goal and must be off the ground by the centrebounce.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

cmndstab posted:

Somehow I totally missed the whole "we're doing LED screens" thing until this weekend and I still haven't figured out why. What are they supposed to replace? Are runners not allowed to speak now?

No but if they're not allowed on the ground except after goals or whatever it might be difficult to get a message out.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

People have said its simply a matter of telling interchanging players to carry a message but that isn't going to help much if it's a forward and the coach wants to change a defensive structure. It might be asking a bit much to expect a player to take on board a bunch of instructions specific to them, and then a bunch more for their other team mates too.

There might have been a handful of times across over 200 games that a runner got in the way of play and even then it is doubtful any of those incidents affected the outcome in any meaningful way so once again the AFL has come up with the solution to a question nobody was really asking.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
$5k a pop for a screen that doesn’t work lmao. Just use a whiteboard hahaha I loving love the afl

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

People have said its simply a matter of telling interchanging players to carry a message but that isn't going to help much if it's a forward and the coach wants to change a defensive structure. It might be asking a bit much to expect a player to take on board a bunch of instructions specific to them, and then a bunch more for their other team mates too.

There might have been a handful of times across over 200 games that a runner got in the way of play and even then it is doubtful any of those incidents affected the outcome in any meaningful way so once again the AFL has come up with the solution to a question nobody was really asking.

Nah it’s good they banned runners. Teams (Sydney) were using them to block space. It happened more than once (Sydney), which is too many times.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm glad they're getting rid of runners, now they just need to cut away the bounce and father son rule.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

I'm glad they're getting rid of runners, now they just need to cut away the bounce and father son rule.

Hey settle down there buddy

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Maybe I missed it, but other than the occasional "runner gets in the way of the play" thing which is usually a free kick anyway, what were runners doing that was so bad that they need to be prevented from being on the field?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A runner killed my pa.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Blocking/filling space. They don't have to be in the way, but being in the background of a players vision they can easily force someone to kick in another direction thinking that area isn't empty enough.

It always happened during kick ins, runners standing just outside the 50m arcs filling space while slowly walking to the boundary. You don't see it much on tv but when you're sitting up high at a game you see runners dicking around all the time.

Good decision to remove them. Instead of using boards (or in addition) a fix would be to remove the interchange cap and let players come off for 2 minutes for a rest and instruction.Why should the interchange be capped at 90 or whatever it is? let it be 150 and watch players get less tired when they can come off the field for awhile.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

drunkill posted:

Why should the interchange be capped at 90 or whatever it is?

Periphery posted:

This would be inline with the AFLs dominant policy of "worst/stupidest option".

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

Why should the interchange be capped at 90 or whatever it is? let it be 150 and watch players get less tired when they can come off the field for awhile.

The point of bringing in the interchange cap was that they wanted players more fatigued because it would result in less flooding and more open play

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

racing identity posted:

The point of bringing in the interchange cap was that they wanted players more fatigued because it would result in less flooding and more open play

Which is also the point of the 6 6 6 rule, and the third man up rule, and a bunch more rules/reinterpretations that the coaches worked around in less than half a season because they're considerably smarter at football than anyone who has ever worked at AFL house

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fatiguing players to stop flooding is dumb, they won't stop flooding they'll just prioritise fitness over skills when recruiting players.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

Fatiguing players to stop flooding is dumb, they won't stop flooding they'll just prioritise fitness over skills when recruiting players.

Sorry but you're overqualified to work at AFL house

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I never understood why they didn't just hand out big fines post match to teams (Sydney)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Which means they need to put in higher training volumes during pre season which leads to more injuries which apparently means they need to shorten the preseason.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Reminds me of the gently caress up in the NFL when Microsoft tried forcing Surface tablets down the throats of all the teams. The teams hated them and the commentators kept on calling them iPads, pissing Microsoft off even more (and probably annoying Apple as well)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

You Am I posted:

Reminds me of the gently caress up in the NFL when Microsoft tried forcing Surface tablets down the throats of all the teams. The teams hated them and the commentators kept on calling them iPads, pissing Microsoft off even more (and probably annoying Apple as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhHjHCDrfAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’m pumped for football!!!!!