Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he did something weird, i think bought his own first class upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

he did something weird, i think bought his own first class upgrade.

I think it was a ref who did that, and he ended up essentially being chased from the company

I dunno, maybe Richards did it too

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I think it was someone who had a free upgrade from frequent flier points who didn't give it to the Undertaker. Hell, knowing WWE it was probably also someone who had the gall to pay for their own upgrade.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it was a ref who did that, and he ended up essentially being chased from the company

I dunno, maybe Richards did it too

The unwritten rule was/is if you're offered a free upgrade to first class, you're supposed to either give that upgrade to another wrestler or straight up turn it down.

Blue Meanie took the upgrade once, and, uh, it didn't go over well, and when his old buddy Mick passed him heading into coach, he just went "oh no, Meanie! What have you done?" and I believe the rest of the locker room basically ostracized him for it, which in turn led to shithead bully JBL smelling blood in the water... which leads to the story having a sorta happy ending when Stevie attempted to Benoitize JBL's brain in a single chair shot

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/jake_nazar/status/1103103564707217408

Bad Take Jake isn't interested in any wrestling promotions that aren't run by rapists who covered up child abuse.

fatherofmustard fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 6, 2019

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

https://twitter.com/ChairshotGreg/status/1102794176490463234

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember who it was, but there was a writer I think who told a story on a podcast about being called to "Wrestler's Court" and thought the entire thing was ludicrous and obviously nobody was taking it seriously, so he showed up with some joke items or something thinking it was all in good fun. Then realized... oh, oh they think this is actually legitimate?
Are you thinking of Gerwertz on the E&C podcast?

e: should read the thread before I reply

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 6, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Threatening a patreon post is the funniest social media threat possible.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MassRafTer posted:

Threatening a patreon post is the funniest social media threat possible.
Wait until he hears about this on the next Monumental Podcast

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

Wait until he hears about this on the next Monumental Podcast

Starting a podcast to further internet beefs and inside jokes is the second funniest.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Starting a podcast to further internet beefs and inside jokes is the second funniest.
#FreeManflurry #demodhulkamatt

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So I tweeted about how Ronda Rousey is a TERF and I received this in response

https://twitter.com/problematicdbp/status/1103223070842634240?s=21

cis people suck

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ah yes, all those trans people who have such a huge competitive advantage that they've completely dominated the Olympics since being formally allowed in 15 years ago.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Venomous posted:

cis people suck

why is it that the most outspoken gatekeepers of “real manhood and womanhood” can’t fuckin conduct themselves like gentlemen or ladies

sorry about our fuckheads, Venomous

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
She also thinks 9/11 and Sandy Hook were false flags.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Ah yes, all those trans people who have such a huge competitive advantage that they've completely dominated the Olympics since being formally allowed in 15 years ago.

Serious question, do we even know how many trans people have competed, in what sports, etc.?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Serious question, do we even know how many trans people have competed, in what sports, etc.?

It's hard to put a solid figure on, because even if competing the IOC doesn't disclose trans status so long as they meet the requirements. The only trans athlete I know who's competed openly at a national level is triathlete Chris Mosier, though I don't think he's been on an Olympic team despite being in Nike's advertising around Rio 2016.

The current official guidelines (significantly relaxed in 2015) state that trans women athletes must declare their gender and not change that declaration for 4 years and have blood testosterone under 10nm/l for at least full year of testing. There are no restrictions on trans men though, they can just declare gender (I believe with the same 4 year rule) and compete with no additional terms on their drug testing.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 6, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There was a similar conversation happening in another subforum thread I read recently, which said the most prominent case was a woman who transitioned to a man but the race officials declared,"NO NO NO NO NO YOU WERE BORN A WOMAN YOU RACE THE OTHER WOMEN!" in spite of him pointing out he was on testosterone and would probably have a marked advantage over them, and the other women agreeing and saying he should be allowed to race with the men. The officials insisted though so "she" ran against the other women and destroyed them, and nobody was happy about it.

It was basically the exact opposite of the bullshit "bunch of men gonna pretend to be ladies to get easy wins!" nonsense people are always spouting.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

There was an amateur high school wrestler who was a trans dude and wanted to compete against other guys but wasn’t allowed to. A bunch of chuds then saw pictures of him wrestling against girls and got entirely the wrong end of the stick, and unwittingly supported his right to compete against other guys :xd:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Venomous posted:

cis people suck

this guy has 20 tweets despite being registered in 2014, who's parachute alt is that?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

There was a similar conversation happening in another subforum thread I read recently, which said the most prominent case was a woman who transitioned to a man but the race officials declared,"NO NO NO NO NO YOU WERE BORN A WOMAN YOU RACE THE OTHER WOMEN!" in spite of him pointing out he was on testosterone and would probably have a marked advantage over them, and the other women agreeing and saying he should be allowed to race with the men. The officials insisted though so "she" ran against the other women and destroyed them, and nobody was happy about it.

It was basically the exact opposite of the bullshit "bunch of men gonna pretend to be ladies to get easy wins!" nonsense people are always spouting.

Jesus, how had I never considered this possibility?

jesus WEP posted:

There was an amateur high school wrestler who was a trans dude and wanted to compete against other guys but wasn’t allowed to. A bunch of chuds then saw pictures of him wrestling against girls and got entirely the wrong end of the stick, and unwittingly supported his right to compete against other guys :xd:

Is it wrong that I find this loving hilarious though?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nah laughing at chuds is always noble my good dude :)

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

quote:

Again, 3+ years. She was in NXT for 1+ years and had all the tools to learn English and partake in promo classes, even with Dusty Rhodes. Her current presentation shows she took no advantage of any of this.

People are excusing her because English is hard. that's bullshit. That's why WWE is paying her, because it's hard to do this and they want someone who is willing and capable. If Asuka is either no willing or unable to speak better English at this point in her career with WWE, then there is a serious problem.

She doesn't get a pass because "she's trying" or "English is hard". That's why she's paid. WWE didn't want to use her as the silent rear end kicker; plenty of other wrestlers were used differently than what they wanted and have succeeded.

Yes, its totally not WWE's fault that some talent isn't speaking fluent English on the main roster. Please disregard the fact that WWE (or more like Vince) seems to like shoving talent into roles that don't fit what they were groomed for in NXT.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
As an ESL professor, nothing is as frustrating as people being like "they had three years, why isn't their English better"

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As an ESL professor, nothing is as frustrating as people being like "they had three years, why isn't their English better"

Oh it gets worse.

quote:

It's about time someone with a legitimacy called out Asuka for not learning English. Asuka is my #3 favorite wrestler in the company, was always top 3 since she won the NXT title. But, it comes off as lazy or a bad attitude to not learn English by now. It's been 3-4 years and she's no better at speaking English than a toddler. Other Japanese wrestlers have learned more in way less time. Asuka isn't an idiot, she knows her market and the company she works for, the country she works in. Not knowing better english at this point is entirely on her and it's the reason she's not just pushed.

why push Asuka? Every wrestler needs to be able to talk a bit and be understood. Even Lesnar who barely talks has his moments, and we understand him. She will likely always have an accent and that's 100% forgivable. But, there's no improvement from day 1 to current. I would have no faith in pushing a wrestler who didn't take the time and effort to improve there.

This all started because Jim Ross called out Asuka for "not learning quickly enough" or something like that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Where is this from?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Where is this from?

The good folks at WRESTLE FORUM DOT COM.

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/smac...ml#post76937412

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

dear god

quote:

I was stationed in Italy for 2 years and learned the language just below fluency.

A. No you didn't.
B. Italian has the same lexicon as English

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Mel Mudkiper posted:

dear god

A. No you didn't.
B. Italian has the same lexicon as English

But you see:

quote:

Two, my brother speaks fluent Japanese from his time in Osaka. He's housed many students transitioning from a Japanese college to a US college in NY. They have learned better English in 1 year than Asuka has in 3+. I know the difficulties of learning any language.

:psyduck:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Hoo boy, this is the kind of "argument" where you know his mind ain't changing in a million years just from how it's laid out. Jesus christ.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Reminder: actual native fluency is impossible for adult learners :eng101:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Asuka's command of english is just fine. Its your fault your dumb american ears can't understand her.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Imagine expecting a Japanese person to move to the US at like 35 and learn the language well enough in three years to believably act in front of a million people. I spent four years learning French as a child who was capable of learning things and all I got out of it was an improved ability to sing Psycho Killer.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Reminder: actual native fluency is impossible for adult learners :eng101:

My favorite part is how he goes on to claim later on that Asuka isn't over and doesn't connect with the audiences at all, nor has she ever. She's probably the second most over babyface for the entire women's division right now.

Big Huski Boi posted:

Imagine expecting a Japanese person to move to the US at like 35 and learn the language well enough in three years to believably act in front of a million people. I spent four years learning French as a child who was capable of learning things and all I got out of it was an improved ability to sing Psycho Killer.

Yeah. And I think WWE realizes that, which is why they aren't punishing Asuka. Do I wish she had a manager at times? Yeah. But Vince hates having managers for faces, so whatever.

What this guy doesn't realize is that Kairi and Io took comprehensive English lessons before coming to the US. While Kairi's written English is pretty far along, her spoken English still needs some polish. Io needs work in both departments, but they also had the benefits of being able to take EIKEN classes before coming to the US.

Not really sure about Nakamura or Tozawa.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 7, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh I'd love to see Asuka turning heel and getting a manager

was gonna say Heyman, but I'm sure he'll follow Brock to AEW or wherever, so I guess her next best option is *checks notes* Brother Love

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Asuka turning heel wouldn't solve the problem because she would become interesting again and then be turned face again and become boring again

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Nakamura spent a few years in LA, and his English comes off pretty well outside of the usual r/l problems. He certainly plays up his accent in the footage of his WWE run that I've seen.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What kind of dipshit wants her to stop doing her promos in Japanese it rules

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheFrayMovement/status/1103767482152640512

"I enjoy seeing people of color being forced to hang out with racists."

fatherofmustard fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

My mind didn’t make the leap at first and I was like ‘oh God, is Terry Funk a racist now’, but yes, Hogan is a racist piece of poo poo