Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I am not sure if this is the place and I haven't seen a thread but is anyone able to explain why Apple is really the only tech company that gives a poo poo about privacy? I get they don't any social media or search platforms which makes it easy but I'm a little confounded how Apple ended up being this way.

Lol if Apple was a search/social media/advertising company they would be the same as everyone else. Their only interest is their bottom line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I am not sure if this is the place and I haven't seen a thread but is anyone able to explain why Apple is really the only tech company that gives a poo poo about privacy? I get they don't any social media or search platforms which makes it easy but I'm a little confounded how Apple ended up being this way.

You said it yourself, Apple doesn't have it's fingers in any social media platforms. They still make their money by selling devices, and if they can position their devices as being pro-privacy without it being a detriment to their bottom line they will continue to do so.

Don't for a second think that Apple will continue this policy if the situation changes in any way.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

You said it yourself, Apple doesn't have it's fingers in any social media platforms. They still make their money by selling devices, and if they can position their devices as being pro-privacy without it being a detriment to their bottom line they will continue to do so.

Don't for a second think that Apple will continue this policy if the situation changes in any way.

Yeah, every other tech company's product is actually you, the user, more specifically selling your data to anyone they can. Apple for the most part isn't going after that kind of profit, so they're happy to play up the privacy angle even though it's not at all a real priority for them as a company, just a happy accident that shifting more iCrap doesn't require too much invasion of privacy when everyone's real damned eager every October to hand over their info anyway so they can get a new fondleslab.

Which reminds me, I held a 2018 iPad Pro recently and my awful awful traitor of a brain went "well in comparison to your LATE 2017 IPAD PRO this is clearly miles better I mean you can afford it why NOT upgrade? You owe it to yourself!"

Of course that's influenced by my coworker who is an upgradeaholic, but yeah I seriously considered trading in my year and a month old perfect-shape tablet for a new one because it was slightly more shiny. Sigh.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Ok goonfriends, I haven't done any kind of VDI in a while, just got an ask from our ERP team to run VDI for everyone running our ERP software.

We run Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2. It's a horrible product that I hate, but it's not going anywhere.

What are folks using for VDI, what do you like? what do you hate? How's remote printing support?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m a serial first adopter. poo poo I bought the Nike adapts. It’s a disease.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

DigitalMocking posted:

Ok goonfriends, I haven't done any kind of VDI in a while, just got an ask from our ERP team to run VDI for everyone running our ERP software.

We run Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2. It's a horrible product that I hate, but it's not going anywhere.

What are folks using for VDI, what do you like? what do you hate? How's remote printing support?

1. Is VDI actually required for this? Why not a Remote Desktop farm?

2. We use Horizon View. Get ready to pay out the rear end on hardware and licensing for VDI infrastructure.

3. Really, would Remote Desktop work?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

The Fool posted:

The confusion is probably because bonuses are supplemental wages and can be taxed at a flat rate (25% iirc) which is probably higher than your regular income rate unless you make >$160k-ish

gently caress you guys pay low tax. Our 3rd bracket ($26k USD - $63k USD) is already at 34.5%, meaning my overall tax is still ~25% and I'm nowhere near 6 figures USD.

Still wouldn't swap places though, I'm working 38 hour weeks with TOIL (to the minute) or overtime strictly recorded and paid :yotj:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

Apple doesn't give a poo poo about privacy, they just care about selling the appearance of it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol if Apple was a search/social media/advertising company they would be the same as everyone else. Their only interest is their bottom line.

Apple has attempted to be all of those at various points in the past (remember when they tried to force the "Ping" social network on every iTunes user? remember the whole "iAds" platform?) they've just failed at them.

Hell they still sell advertising under these services: https://searchads.apple.com/ https://developer.apple.com/news-publisher/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Apple has literally no where the degree of ads, search or social media in comparison to every competitor by an order of magnitude.

In some ways, it’s easy for Apple to pull out the privacy card but on the flip side I feel it’s cheap to say they’re just doing solely for self-interest.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DigitalMocking posted:

Citrix. Expensive but works really well. We’ve been doing quite a bit with it. Engineering guys using gpu enabled vdi, app layering, all sorts of neat stuff

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

Apple has literally no where the degree of ads, search or social media in comparison to every competitor by an order of magnitude.

Because they were incompetent, not because they didn't want to do it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also Citrix. I guess the question is, what are you asking?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

fishmech posted:

Because they were incompetent, not because they didn't want to do it.

How do you figure?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

How do you figure?

Because they currently run an advertising service and were forced to shutter an earlier one due to lack of revenue? Because they tried to run a social network and failed? Because they've never gotten a reliable search competitor off the ground?

What's hard to understand here, they simply hosed up these things the same way they have previously hosed up selling digital cameras, or the several iterations they've done of user webhost/email services that have been offered over the years.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Either horizon or citrix will work and both are lovely in interesting and unique ways. My best experience was with horizon enterprise w/ instant clones instead of linked clones because it's, well, instant and there's no composer server to break and gently caress everything up.

One time we had a guy remove several hundred VDI machines from vmware and not through horizon because it was being finnicky. The process for cleaning the (missing) poo poo with viewdbchk.cmd was loving terrible and slow.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I kinda lost it today.
Transferred internally maybe two years ago. I am still on various systems engineering distribution lists.
Tier III emails about powering on a VM that has been off for 6 months, because the badge reading system is down and the business owner demands it be powered back on.

I am like - what - do we have 6 months of cars trapped in the parking garage we just found out about?
What else gave it away? Maybe it's the skeletons standing there by all of the doors throughout the office - dead and stuck because they could not get their badges to read to open doors.

This is the same guy that unplugged the bladecenter chassis several years back to reboot a VM.

Reinforces the idea that transferring to development was the right move for me.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
A remote desktop farm or Citrix XenApp farm are great for app deployment.
Horizon View is OK but only when you absolutely need to give the users a full desktop environment. More often than not it is excessive.

UE-V and App-V work nice together if you don't want to mess with folder redirection or roaming profiles. Not everything works with App-V, but it is nice when it does, keeps the system image clean though I think Citrix added app layering recently too.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 6, 2019

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

A remote desktop farm or Citrix XenApp farm are great for app deployment.
Horizon View is OK but only when you absolutely need to give the users a full desktop environment. More often than not it is excessive.

UE-V and App-V work nice together if you don't want to mess with folder redirection or roaming profiles. Not everything works with App-V, but it is nice when it does, keeps the system image clean though I think Citrix added app layering recently too.

Man I haven't seen you post in years.

:glomp:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Methanar posted:

Man I haven't seen you post in years.

:glomp:

I left the systems engineering team a couple years ago, and with it lost regular exposure to tales of eldritch horrors and to most IT software suites and tech.
Putting together SSIS packages or automating problems away with Powershell is a lot less postworthy.
We might pick up MuleSoft, which seems kind of cool. Not sure how popular that is though here.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tab8715 posted:

Apple gives a poo poo about privacy only when it suits their PR image.

This post is funny especially in light of the recent news cycle talking about Apple’s “Significant Locations” feature.

Yes, I would like my every move tracked by my phone. What’s that you say? The data is encrypted and will never leave your phone in any way? Just wait until iPhoneAnalytics is revealed to have a “bug” that sent this data back to Apple after all.

:tinfoil:

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
I'm somehow lost as how to proceed with multiple career options that just appeared out of nowhere, kind of:

Right now: I'm working as a programmer in a publicly funded scientific institution; it is as crazy and mad and unstructured as it sounds but my boss is great, the hours are very flexible and the work is diverse and interesting (lots of Python and PostgreSQL stuff, a little bit of Linux server administration). The pay is 'quite' good, since it is tariff-regulated (hope that is the correct term) and slightly above what other similar programmers earn in this geographic region.

However, it is almost impossible to get an unlimited contract in this environment (research, that is) and I could probably work myself from one extension to the next for the following years. Also, from my experience, working as a programmer in a research environment here kind of limits you to that: People in the industry don't really care what you did for these funny scientist folks. Therefore, the career options are quite limited ...

Option 1: I've been working with a startup for the last couple of years on a contract basis and did a lot of C#/F# development. They now have got some money and could employ me full-time for at least one year, probably 2-3 years. I'd be payed a little bit more and this would be 95% working from home. I'd be in charge of a large and unstructured hot mess of a code base but I kind of like the work they're doing. Again, limited time, but (imo) better career options (in the sense of applying for other jobs should it come to that)? Very flexible in terms of time management as well ... I'm not sure whether I like the idea of being alone, at home (while my wife is at work and the kiddo is in school, that is), with a large messy code base staring at me.

Option 2: Real proper hard working industry folks! They're in the machine building/electrical engineering business, quite large (~200 people?), and are very interested in hiring me as a C# developer for a rewrite they're doing for some of their core products. Unlimited contract, somewhat similar pay to what I have right now. Relatively fixed hours, not very flexible (I'd actually be working directly with the machines so I definitely have to be on-site). Very good career options I think, since there are a lot of similar business here in this area ... I've got no professional background whatsoever in electrical engineering but this is something I've been pursuing as a hobby ever since I was a kid. I'm kind of digging the idea of working with real machines and the hardware-software interaction intrigues me.

Arghs, sorry for rambling. Any help/pointers/remarks appreciated. :aaa:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Agrikk posted:

“At my last job...” makes me nuts.

If your last job was such a Mecca of efficiency, why’d you leave it?

There’s a very old gif compiling all the insane rants of a top World of Warcraft guild leader berating his players for underperforming. It’s like a master class in how not to lead. But one of the lines that always stuck with me was “I don’t care how your old guild did it. Your old guild sucked. That’s why you’re in my guild now.”

I can’t help thinking that now whenever anyone plays the “well, at MY OLD JOB...” card.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally have an angle on this stupid 5 - 10 year wireless roadmap presentation I am doing next week. Either my idea is going to revolutionize campus access or I'm going to be laughed at. Cant figure out which one. Gonna pitch 5G LAN, already did the high level network diagrams and all the different technologies to enable it. As far as I can tell it is so far only been done as a feasibility study by 3GPP so if they do approve it I could potentially be one of the first to really prove it out in the real world

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Supporting apple products in our infrastructure is probably the biggest waste of money ever. 70$ for a wireless keyboard. 50$ for a mouse. What is this madness?

It makes the UI/UX people happy though so :shrug:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Third option seems like a no-brainer to me, personally.
Expands your resume
Stability
C# isn't usually the language used to interact with low level hardware - I wouldn't worry too much about a knowledge gap. I've worked with some lower level programming, like using SiLabs' bluetooth stack on their BlueGiga modules as a hobby. It's still higher level C though, not much lower level then donking with Arduino. Usually they provide abstraction layer APIs. As a C# programmer you aren't going to be cutting VHDL, so you should be insulated from having to know TOO much about EE.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 6, 2019

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

1. Is VDI actually required for this? Why not a Remote Desktop farm?

2. We use Horizon View. Get ready to pay out the rear end on hardware and licensing for VDI infrastructure.

3. Really, would Remote Desktop work?

Local printing via remote desktop has been incredibly problematic so far with all of our RDP testing. It just simply... won't print sometimes. I'm hoping something else would work better for this.

I'd also like to expose the VDI infrastructure to remote workers to get rid of our current VPN access and provide an easier and hopefully less security exploited experience than RDP can be.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

fishmech posted:

Because they currently run an advertising service and were forced to shutter an earlier one due to lack of revenue? Because they tried to run a social network and failed? Because they've never gotten a reliable search competitor off the ground?

What were the names of these services? That's news to me.

Agrikk posted:

Apple gives a poo poo about privacy only when it suits their PR image.

This post is funny especially in light of the recent news cycle talking about Apple’s “Significant Locations” feature.

Yes, I would like my every move tracked by my phone. What’s that you say? The data is encrypted and will never leave your phone in any way? Just wait until iPhoneAnalytics is revealed to have a “bug” that sent this data back to Apple after all.

:tinfoil:

Significant Locations has always been a thing and used for common navigation suggestions but is easily disabled to the point where even specific points may be removed

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Defenestrategy posted:

Supporting apple products in our infrastructure is probably the biggest waste of money ever. 70$ for a wireless keyboard. 50$ for a mouse. What is this madness?

It makes the UI/UX people happy though so :shrug:
The keyboard and mouse I use for work cost $200 and $50 respectively, and neither one are Apple.

Assuming a 60/40 salary/benefits breakdown, the baseline compensation expense to support technical staff has got to be at least $140k/year in most metro areas, plus all the management hierarchy that has to go into supporting that position. Assuming most companies have 5-10 FTEs to a manager, that's in the neighborhood of $175k to support a single member of technical staff in a medium business without even getting into physical facilities. It blows my mind that even at scale, people are obsessive over the difference between $30 and $50 on a 3-year-depreciated asset for a person who probably costs the company $100 an hour to park in a chair.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm not currently looking but my resume could really use a refresh.

I've found that writing a tech resume with over 20 years experience is hard for me to condense everything down. Any services you guys suggest? I know there was a Good run resume service but I've heard bad things about it. Keep in mind I'm also not entry level, but not management either.

Tab8715 posted:

What were the names of these services? That's news to me.

Ping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_Ping

However it was more music based and not "Here's pictures of my kids and and some Minions meme"

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 6, 2019

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Bonzo posted:

I've found that writing a tech resume with over 20 years experience is hard for me to condense everything down. Any services you guys suggest? I know there was a Good run resume service but I've heard bad things about it. Keep in mind I'm also not entry level, but not management either.

Nothing on your tech resume that's more than 10 years old requires more than a single line, because it's simply not viable any more.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This is kind of a specific question but apparently I get a training budget now for in-person/virtual classroom stuff.

Does anybody have any recommendations for places in NYC for base-level cert (CCENT, MCSA, Sec+ type stuff) classes? Or an online source that isn't just self-paced like Pluralsight (I already have a PS account.)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bonzo posted:

This thread.

The goon whom ran the service sold it and it's no where near as a good as it used to be. It's better to merely copy someone formatting and then study on interview questions.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Docjowles posted:

There’s a very old gif compiling all the insane rants of a top World of Warcraft guild leader berating his players for underperforming. It’s like a master class in how not to lead. But one of the lines that always stuck with me was “I don’t care how your old guild did it. Your old guild sucked. That’s why you’re in my guild now.”

I can’t help thinking that now whenever anyone plays the “well, at MY OLD JOB...” card.

I had to go to a meeting about generating ideas for bids that are coming up. They asked someone from FM who had been in the company like 2-3 weeks and she spent all day going "at my old job"

She didn't like me because FM people can never comprehend that whilst IT and FM can at times be similar there are reasons why we do things in a way you guys wouldn't.

I got a lot of raised eyebrows that day. I'm glad she doesn't work in my bit of the company!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

This thread.

The goon whom ran the service sold it and it's no where near as a good as it used to be. It's better to merely copy someone formatting and then study on interview questions.

This and the thread in BFC should be good enough. If you really want to spend money just go with whatever is highest rated and cheap on Fiverr

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Infosec wanted some help with getting software reports created and emailed to them for their review on a regular basis. They wanted an inventory of every piece of software and its unique version so they can decide if needs to exist in our environment. PDQ inventory does this very well with its auto reports feature.

They get the reports and they instantly hate them. "They contain too much noise" was what they responding back with. Cool. PDQ allows the ability to filter out what they can define as "noise" so the reports only show them what they would be interested in seeing. I ask them to define which software they don't want to see on the reports. "Can you do this for us and let us review your changes" was what I got back. Umm no. I am not having my guys do all this for you lazy fucks.

Its now being communicated to me as "super important" yet its not important enough for them to do their part. How do orgs actually get anything done?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

Its now being communicated to me as "super important" yet its not important enough for them to do their part. How do orgs actually get anything done?
Infosec orgs don't get anything done and they don't want you to get anything done either

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Inspector_666 posted:

This is kind of a specific question but apparently I get a training budget now for in-person/virtual classroom stuff.

Does anybody have any recommendations for places in NYC for base-level cert (CCENT, MCSA, Sec+ type stuff) classes? Or an online source that isn't just self-paced like Pluralsight (I already have a PS account.)

coursera.org seems good and there are legit Non IT stuff on there. Udemy isn't bad for the lower level certs.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

Infosec orgs don't get anything done and they don't want you to get anything done either

Sorry we’re in the middle of an audit so you need to do this. We’ll start another one right after this so please prioritize.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sickening posted:

How do orgs actually get anything done?

Vulture Culture posted:

They don't op.

My Insecurity team wanted me to be responsible for vuln testing our application releases, own our SIEM, own or WAF in addition to creating all their compliance and security reports for them which would be mailed directly to, you guessed it, me for dealing with.

I have no idea what they do all day because it sure isn't anything to do with what should be part of their duties.

They now have a 5th req open for a job they'll never fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've apparently had a security standard since 2010 that we have to log out of our workstations overnight (never gonna happen), and the security policy doesn't say anything about locking workstations. We're revising them this year so I finally noticed when I dug in to make comments. One of the security people came by my cube and was like "wtf are they thinking" so at least there's a few security people in the world who actually use computers and want them to be used.