Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Book 10:
THE AES SEDAI CHAPTERS WON’T STOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bitprophet posted:

Literally just got to this part and uhhhhh. Robert, my man. We need to talk.

At this point it’s basically all new to me (my memories must only have covered through book 4 or 5?) so no spoilers please, but: am I blind or did they raise her without anybody actually explaining why it had to be her? Lots of talk about the legality, whether she would be capable of it, etc, but Egwene never seemed to actually ask (nor anyone else offer) “why me and not literally anyone else in Salidar?”

Hoping it gets explained shortly but even so it seems like an enormous omission.

It does get explained later on. There are several reasons why it had to be her, and also several reasons why nobody tells Egwene their motivation for choosing her. Egwene herself was likely just too overwhelmed to as why.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bitprophet posted:

Literally just got to this part and uhhhhh. Robert, my man. We need to talk.

At this point it’s basically all new to me (my memories must only have covered through book 4 or 5?) so no spoilers please, but: am I blind or did they raise her without anybody actually explaining why it had to be her? Lots of talk about the legality, whether she would be capable of it, etc, but Egwene never seemed to actually ask (nor anyone else offer) “why me and not literally anyone else in Salidar?”

Hoping it gets explained shortly but even so it seems like an enormous omission.

I felt completely blind-sided by that as well, but it does make a lot of sense when you learn more. RAFO.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That also reminds me of one of the pitfalls of audiobooks: you lose all the jokes involving creative re-spellings of names and such. Like in an audiobook doesn't Amyrlin just sound so much like "Merlin" that the cleverness of the allusion gets lost?

I listened to the latter few Harry Potter books via audio and it was totally lost on me that Kreacher's name was not spelled "Creature"; I was like daaamn that's a little on the nose

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I... never picked up on that. I'd like to say it's because I started out reading them so I knew how it was spelled / what the readers were saying, but honestly I don't think I would've put those two together anyways.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Torrannor posted:

It does get explained later on. There are several reasons why it had to be her, and also several reasons why nobody tells Egwene their motivation for choosing her. Egwene herself was likely just too overwhelmed to as why.
A chapter later the background reasons came out (tl;dr a useful puppet) and yea, clearly she was overwhelmed, but it still really broke immersion for me. Anybody in that position (like, think an 18yo Congressional aide suddenly appointed Speaker of the House or heck, elected President) would be wondering why first thing! Not "oh goodness! lucky me! can I do it??? I'm totally gonna do it!" and I'd expect the other Aes Sedai to be, not just playing games behind the scenes, but outright revolting.

Also, mind blown at Amyrlin == Merlin, which is hilarious because I'd been seeing all the other Arthurian references recently (Artur Hawkwing's pretty clear, the Sword in the Stone is a bit too on the nose, Caemlyn probably == Camelot, etc).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bitprophet posted:

the Sword in the Stone is a bit too on the nose

gently caress I'm dense. I mean, I picked up on the "he who pulls it out" part. But drat, it really is right there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bitprophet posted:

A chapter later the background reasons came out (tl;dr a useful puppet) and yea, clearly she was overwhelmed, but it still really broke immersion for me. Anybody in that position (like, think an 18yo Congressional aide suddenly appointed Speaker of the House or heck, elected President) would be wondering why first thing! Not "oh goodness! lucky me! can I do it??? I'm totally gonna do it!" and I'd expect the other Aes Sedai to be, not just playing games behind the scenes, but outright revolting.

Also, mind blown at Amyrlin == Merlin, which is hilarious because I'd been seeing all the other Arthurian references recently (Artur Hawkwing's pretty clear, the Sword in the Stone is a bit too on the nose, Caemlyn probably == Camelot, etc).

To say nothing of Galad, Gawyn, Morgase, Damodred, Elayne, and hell, Nynaeve

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Moraine and Morgaine aren't too far apart, either.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Galad is obviously Galahad, but what are all the other names influenced by / based on?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

Galad is obviously Galahad, but what are all the other names influenced by / based on?

Grabbed this list from Reddit, even it's only partial:

quote:

Rand as Artur Hawkwing, the dragon reborn -- King Arthur/Hawking unites the kingdom, etc

Luthair Paendrag as Uther Pendragon (b. 8, p.523)

Queen Morgase -- Queen Morgause, Sister to King Arthur, Mother of Gawain (Has a sister named Elaine) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgause

Gareth Bryne, the queen's military adviser -- Gareth is the youngest son of Lot and Morgause http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth

Gawyn -- Sir Gawain, one of the greatest knights. mies.

Galad -- Sir Galahad,
Thom Merrilyn -- Merlin,

Al'Lan Mandragoran -- Lancelot,

Egwene -- Guinevere initially loves Arthur, but falls in love with another person. Or perhaps the Lady of the Lake (Avalon).

Tor Valon as Avalon, the mystic isle where Arthur goes to die.

sa'angreal as san graal -- the holy grail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangreal

Callandor as Excalibur, the sword that none could touch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur

cuendillar - heartstone -- "cuer" old french for "heart" http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cuer

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Then there's the references to the First Age being our own. Like Lenn who "flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire" and Mosk the Giant, who "wielded a lance of fire which could reach around the world".
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/First_Age

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

I... never picked up on that. I'd like to say it's because I started out reading them so I knew how it was spelled / what the readers were saying, but honestly I don't think I would've put those two together anyways.

I was a myth junky as a teenager and WoT had so many references it was like constant Easter eggs reading the books. After the first few i started hunting for others; Amrylin, Tar Valon, Ogier and the Trolloc tribes, gholam, the tree of life, all sorts of things have neat connections to other real world cultures and sometimes make even more sense in context. Even then I'm sure I missed a bunch of the East Asian myths and references.

Edit: Merc (America) and Mosc(ow), two giants who fought with lances of light, or the Mercedes Benz symbol feeling saturated with greed

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 6, 2019

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So many months later, I finally finished Stormlight 3. Does anyone have a handy resource that explains all the Cosmere links? I always end up forgetting the other books as I read up on them, but especially I want the Warbreaker links to Stormlight 3 explained.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

coppermind.net for all things Sanderson

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Yes, Lady Vin," Sazed said. "You see, Tindwyl spent most of her life as a Terris mother."

Vin hesitated, hand in pocket, looking surprised. "You mean... she was a Breeder?"

Sazed nodded. The Lord Ruler's breeding program included selecting a few, special individuals to use for birthing new children—with the goal being to breed Feruchemy out of the population.

"Tindwyl had, at last count, birthed over twenty children," he said. "Each with a different father. Tindwyl had her first child when she was fourteen, and spent her entire life being taken repeatedly by strange men until she became pregnant. And, because of the fertility drugs the Breeding masters forced upon her, she often bore twins or triplets."

"I... see," Vin said softly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Do you have a point?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

rafikki posted:

Then there's the references to the First Age being our own. Like Lenn who "flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire" and Mosk the Giant, who "wielded a lance of fire which could reach around the world".
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/First_Age

Still lollin at the wisdom of Ann Landers reverberating through the millennia

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Torrannor posted:

Do you have a point?

The Bonfire thread is getting itself worked up about Sanderson again and there is some spillover.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

wizzardstaff posted:

The Bonfire thread is getting itself worked up about Sanderson again and there is some spillover.

Why is organized trolling of one thread by another thread even tolerated.

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015
Just don't engage with it.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I dont see a positive statement there Bolt.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cool, the Audible app crashes when I try to play this one part of Gathering Storm.

Rebooted, still does it. Tried fast forwarding 30-60 sec and it still crashes :thunk:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

Cool, the Audible app crashes when I try to play this one part of Gathering Storm.

Rebooted, still does it. Tried fast forwarding 30-60 sec and it still crashes :thunk:

The prose is too radical and powerful for any audio software to handle

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Try redownloading it. I've had a few cases where books on audible were missing entire chapters when the download got interrupted.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

COOL so I got around to redownloading it, and that wiped out my progress.

Not sure what chapter I was on. gently caress.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Sab669 posted:

Yeah Audible sucks, problem is that so does every other Audiobook platform, either too expensive or lacking content.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Sab669 posted:

What was happening in the last chapter you heard? Maybe we can figure out where you were.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Sorry you’re going to have to re-listen to the 3 hour bath as penance.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fezz posted:

What was happening in the last chapter you heard? Maybe we can figure out where you were.

I'm not sure what the most recent thing was. Thanks though :) I just skipped to Chapter 21 or 22 and it was Matt complaining to Talmanas about how arguing with women is like gambling with them. Then he proceeded to go on at length about how women will cheat you at dice for the next 25 minutes.

I like Talamanas' dry wit in response, though.

"Are you making sport of me?"
"I wouldn't dream of it, Master Cauthon"

I know I listened to this part already, but none of the Chapter Names ring a bell so I don't want to skip too far ahead... so good enough, I suppose.

e; oh look at that. Lamps was banned.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, that part was funny. I remember reading that and thinking “god drat, wish this Sanderson guy had written the whole thing”

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Sab669 posted:

e; oh look at that. Lamps was banned.
The wheel weaves as the wheel wills. No, but seriously, it seems overdue. His entire gimmick was to troll all the sci-fi and fantasy threads in The Book Barn and he even started his own version of a helldump for it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

now that's simply not true, Lamps also got into slap fights in Cinema Discusso about comic book movies. his effort posts were legit really good and you're doing yourself a disservice not to read them.

do Sanderson's books have maps in the front?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm on book 14. And the one super long chapter is amazing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
As stated in the other thread:

The_White_Crane posted:

>90% of Botl's posts were the equivalent of elbowing your way into a circle of people talking about $thing and shouting "$thing sucks and you're all dumb for liking it!" then immediately running out of the room.
If he came into threads and actually delivered an interesting critique (which he was capable of, I'll give him that) he wouldn't have racked up so many probes.
He had some perfectly fine and good posts but most of his effort went towards lazily dunking on people for enjoying inferior brand media, which is why he got probed a dozen times in less than 3 months this year.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

my bony fealty posted:

Most of them do, yes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I think all of the books that do also have the art available on his website under the Artwork section

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think that's the single worst thing about listening to WoT on audiobook. There's 4000 different places and I have absolutely no idea where any of them are. I googled a map back during book 1 or 2, but that was when I was actually reading them. Now, while listening to the audiobooks on my commute, I'll think to myself "alright let me google where that place is when I get to work," but when I actually get there, I forgot about it already.

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015

my bony fealty posted:

now that's simply not true, Lamps also got into slap fights in Cinema Discusso about comic book movies. his effort posts were legit really good and you're doing yourself a disservice not to read them.

How do we filter out the ones where he was a disingenuous snob telling people that they were bad for enjoying the wrong things the wrong way? Because frankly that sounds like a lot of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The ones where he read books he didn't like for days and then posted 2000 word literary critiques with comparisons to other works are the effort posts, hth