Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What are your top three?

Thoroughbreds
Mandy
Assassination Nation
Hereditary
Unsane
Halloween
(Upgrade)*
The Endless
A Quiet Place
The Ritual
Unfriended Dark Web
Hellraiser Judgement, which sits as the worst movie I saw in 2018.

*I don't consider Upgrade a horror movie, it's more of a sci-fi action movie with gore, but plenty have argued that it's body horror, so I included it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Unsane and Unfriended Dark Web over Hereditary wtf

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I still have to see Upgrade, I keep meaning to. I was really sad I missed Assassination Nation in theaters too. :(

There were a few The Internet Kills You movies over the past couple of years, but is Unfriended Dark Web the one where it's more like a straight abduction story sort of thing?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I still have to see Upgrade, I keep meaning to. I was really sad I missed Assassination Nation in theaters too. :(

Assassination Nation will be on Hulu in less than two weeks. The 18th

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Unsane and Unfriended Dark Web over Hereditary wtf

What?

Hereditary is #4, Unsane is #5 and Unfriended Dark Web is #10.

Unfriended Dark Web is like #33 out of 40 for the year, for context.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Last night I watched It Stains The Sands Red because it had been a while since I've seen a recent zombie movie and the concept sounded interesting. The marketing makes it sound like it's going to be a stripped-down survival story, but that aspect is really just a jumping-off point. Anyway, as the credits are winding down the filmmakers include their special thanks. Two of the three are thanks to my wife, my kids, etc. But one of them says thanks to "Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson and Anton LaVey" and it's like settle down, Beavis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea my top three favorite films of 2018 were Mandy, Hereditary, and Mission Impossible Fallout so needless to say it was not a good year at the Oscars for me.

Was The Ritual really a 2018 film, not 2017? Feels like a long time since I saw that one but for horror I'd probably put that in at #3 for the year and then Halloween at #4.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Annihilation
Hereditary
Mandy
Suspiria

for horror in 2018 for me but 2+3 are very close.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea my top three favorite films of 2018 were Mandy, Hereditary, and Mission Impossible Fallout so needless to say it was not a good year at the Oscars for me.

Was The Ritual really a 2018 film, not 2017? Feels like a long time since I saw that one but for horror I'd probably put that in at #3 for the year and then Halloween at #4.

It premiered on Netflix in 2018. It technically premiered at the end of 2017 at a EU Film Festival, I think in Belgium or something. But for anyone in the US, and most of the world, it's a 2018 release.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Unsane reminds me of The Road in that the technical thing they did for a dramatic reason makes me never want to see it ever

Edit: Assassination Nation was sick (the home invasion scene particularly) but I wish it gave the trans character a little more agency, I don’t think she even gets to kill anyone

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

Unsane reminds me of The Road in that the technical thing they did for a dramatic reason makes me never want to see it ever

The only time I felt the iPhone was near the end when she confronts the stalker in the padded room trying to convince him she's not the perfect person he imagines. Even then, the scene felt very theatrical, which worked for me.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Edit: Assassination Nation was sick (the home invasion scene particularly) but I wish it gave the trans character a little more agency, I don’t think she even gets to kill anyone

Pretty sure she does right after they try to lynch her. But I could be wrong.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

To reiterate what has been previously stated, despite what you think of Hereditary, Toni Collete not getting even a best actress nom is a perfect example of how much of a joke the Oscars are. We got our genre bone with The Shape Of Water, so it will be another five years before horror/sci-fi gets recognized again.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember saying Mandy was the best horror movie of last year at one point but as things have sat with me it’s definitely Hereditary. I haven’t seen some frequently talked about ones like Unsane or Thoroughbreds though.

Liberal Idiot posted:

Two of the three are thanks to my wife, my kids, etc. But one of them says thanks to "Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson and Anton LaVey" and it's like settle down, Beavis.

It’s dumb as hell but that’s some classic horror-nerd poo poo right there. :discourse:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to rewatch Hereditary. I really liked it, I thought it was great, but it clearly did not connect with me the way it did for others.

Some people feel downright shell-shocked after seeing it, and I was fine. Went and got a brewdog with my buddy afterwards.

I also still have not seen: Annihilation, Nu'spiria, The House That Jack Built, Summer of '84, The First Purge, Climax, Pooka! or Ghostland.

Probably won't be watching Pooka! until Christmas, but the others I'll get to eventually.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've never seen a movie fall apart so quickly in the last 15 minutes as Assassination Nation did. It's like they forgot to finish the script.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think having a history of family trauma might be worth it for the feels Hereditary gives you

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rewatchability factors in for me, which is why Mandy wins out over Hereditary. Hereditary may be more effective and had more of an impact on me emotionally, but in a way that works against it because I'm never going to be in the mood to put myself through that again. Mandy is a movie I'll be watching like once a year for years to come, which is something I consider to be pretty important.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The beauty of great horror is that it can dig deep into your soul and scare you without throwing spook-a-doodle monster CGI faces at the screen. Hereditary hosed me up because that dinner scene felt way too familiar with an alcoholic father. My friend's favorite film of the year was Mandy because his wife passed from cancer and he said Mandy was basically a power fantasy for a widow, being able to destroy the intangible demons that took a person you love. We both loved Annihilation because it's about coming out of trauma irrevocably changed.

Anyway, horror is pretty cool and I love this thread. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The middle of Hereditary is the brilliant part, though. Then the third act is where it all falls apart and loses any possible claim to "best horror of 2018" in a world where Mandy exists.

i liked Mandy a fair amount but it was too derivative for me to be all that enthusiastic about it. the Cenobite thing kinda bugged me.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

weekly font posted:

The beauty of great horror is that it can dig deep into your soul and scare you without throwing spook-a-doodle monster CGI faces at the screen. Hereditary hosed me up because that dinner scene felt way too familiar with an alcoholic father. My friend's favorite film of the year was Mandy because his wife passed from cancer and he said Mandy was basically a power fantasy for a widow, being able to destroy the intangible demons that took a person you love. We both loved Annihilation because it's about coming out of trauma irrevocably changed.

Anyway, horror is pretty cool and I love this thread. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Rewatching The Shining after going through a divorce kind of had that impact on me. The horror sort of morphs from being about ghosts and a haunted hotel to this kind of deep existential slow-motion trainwreck of a family unit. People often complain that Kubrick’s film fails by painting Jack as hostile from jump street, but that’s kind of the point; it’s not a movie about a guy who gets driven mad by ghouls as much as it is about a man who has grown embittered by his own circumstances. My separation was amicable, but the movie definitely hit different after the papers were signed.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

until the oscars acknowledge both evil bong and Rob Zombie's contribution to cinema, i boycott them every year

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My big issue with Mandy is that the revenge is wholly absent of drama

Like, as soon as he gets payback he pretty easily gets payback

Basebf555 posted:

Rewatchability factors in for me, which is why Mandy wins out over Hereditary. Hereditary may be more effective and had more of an impact on me emotionally, but in a way that works against it because I'm never going to be in the mood to put myself through that again. Mandy is a movie I'll be watching like once a year for years to come, which is something I consider to be pretty important.

I think rewatchability doesn't matter as much to me as reflection. My favorite directors are Haneke, Kieslowski, and Almodovar but I would be hard pressed to watch any of their movies twice. However, I often find myself thinking back to, or reflecting on images and ideas in their films.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Thoroughbreds
Mandy
Assassination Nation
Hereditary
Unsane
Halloween
(Upgrade)*
The Endless
A Quiet Place
The Ritual
Unfriended Dark Web
Hellraiser Judgement, which sits as the worst movie I saw in 2018.

*I don't consider Upgrade a horror movie, it's more of a sci-fi action movie with gore, but plenty have argued that it's body horror, so I included it here.

have you seen Revenge? I didn't get around to it until last week but it shot right up to my top 5 of last year, maybe even 3 behind Hereditary and Mandy. Also I still haven't seen Thoroughbreds, I really need to get on that

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Revenge is awesome. It's a very simple rape revenge flick plot but executes it expertly well. It's great.

Franchescanado posted:

What?

Hereditary is #4, Unsane is #5 and Unfriended Dark Web is #10.

Unfriended Dark Web is like #33 out of 40 for the year, for context.

THAC0 for life.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 6, 2019

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

There were a few The Internet Kills You movies over the past couple of years, but is Unfriended Dark Web the one where it's more like a straight abduction story sort of thing?

I haven't seen Unfriended 2 but I think you're thinking of Searching. It's not remotely a horror movie but it's the best possible version of a "Yikes, The Internet!" movie imo, other than maybe The Den.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haven't watched it yet, but a friend from work just turned me on to this. It kind of reminds me of the Italian Mad Max rip-offs that proliferated the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X36WlJKBGjY

The full movie's on youtube, but no subtitles for you gringos unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnj-isiKNUE

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

have you seen Revenge? I didn't get around to it until last week but it shot right up to my top 5 of last year, maybe even 3 behind Hereditary and Mandy. Also I still haven't seen Thoroughbreds, I really need to get on that

Revenge is cool, but I thought it was a 2017 movie. For some reason watching it made me realize for the first time that rape revenge movies are structured way more like action movies than horror, they just tend to be gory and tasteless so they get lumped in with the horror genre.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of rape revenge flicks, I thought it died years ago but I Spit On Your Grave: Déjà Vu is for real happening with both Meir Zarchi directing again and Camille Keaton starring in it again. :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xy_9SrZqiI

Uh

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Null of Undefined posted:

I'm the opposite. The whole time I was watching it I was constantly hoping that the ending wasn't just gonna be "And it was all in their heads!". At first I thought it was going to cut to black in the final treehouse scene, which would have been fine, but boy I really liked that they pretty much explained everything. Although if you're generous, you could still interpret it as mental illness, and that even the final treehouse scene is all in his head

Also, not sure if it's still updating but there's an official Hereditary etsy run by 'charlie' in which you can buy dolls she makes. https://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftsByCharlieG/

Welcome to My corner

i will give proceeds .from My Dolls to KFA
https://www. kids withfoodallergies.org .

No nuts

(This account is managed by A24 Films.)

:kimchi:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Revenge is cool, but I thought it was a 2017 movie.

It was shown at a handful of film festivals in 2017 but didn't get an actual release until mid 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

until the oscars acknowledge both evil bong and Rob Zombie's contribution to cinema, i boycott them every year

Horror will always get overlooked when it comes to awards shows. When American Werewolf in London won for effects, it was a major Holy poo poo moment.

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of rape revenge flicks, I thought it died years ago but I Spit On Your Grave: Déjà Vu is for real happening with both Meir Zarchi directing again and Camille Keaton starring in it again. :wtc:

Well, going from the trailer it sorta makes sense with where it looks like they're going with it, but I'm still wondering why now after all this time?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest issue with Halloween 2018 was simply that Michael was shot too plainly. He never got any really good moments of appearing out of the darkness or being in the background but out of focus.

He was all Michael, no Shape. It was just very matter of fact about him being around

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

My biggest issue with Halloween 2018 was simply that Michael was shot too plainly. He never got any really good moments of appearing out of the darkness or being in the background but out of focus.

He was all Michael, no Shape. It was just very matter of fact about him being around

slight counterpoint: my favorite moments of the movie were the shots of him before he gets the mask back where he's this menacing, grey old man with no face

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Last Saturday I pounded back 8 beers and watched TERRORVISION but forgot I had done so until late on Sunday night.

Also Hereditary is still bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

slight counterpoint: my favorite moments of the movie were the shots of him before he gets the mask back where he's this menacing, grey old man with no face

I liked this a lot, I loved how often they technically did have his face on screen but not quite.

But in general I liked how Michael was shot, they play around a lot with showing him as a reflection or otherwise distorted by glass. And I love the part with the motion sensor lights.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Burkion posted:

I dunno, the motion detector scene was pretty fantastically staged.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

InfiniteZero posted:

Last Saturday I pounded back 8 beers and watched TERRORVISION but forgot I had done so until late on Sunday night.

Also Hereditary is still bad.

Can’t co-sign bad but it’s no Terrorvision

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a lot of interesting stuff going on with Michael it just wasn't the same as it was in the original(actually a few of those callbacks were saved for Jamie Lee, which was great). How can you not love the scene where the woman is obliviously talking on the phone and you see Michael just slowly taking the loop around the back of the house to come get her.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

There was a lot of interesting stuff going on with Michael it just wasn't the same as it was in the original(actually a few of those callbacks were saved for Jamie Lee, which was great). How can you not love the scene where the woman is obliviously talking on the phone and you see Michael just slowly taking the loop around the back of the house to come get her.

One of the best "poo poo just got real" moments in any movie is in the original too when the kid looks out the window and sees him walking back around the house with the body and the sound of the campy movie they're watching gets distorted into loud static in time with the kid noticing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

One of the best "poo poo just got real" moments in any movie is in the original too when the kid looks out the window and sees him walking back around the house with the body and the sound of the campy movie they're watching gets distorted into loud static in time with the kid noticing him.

i belive they are watching the original "the thing" movie