Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

Man I'm 100% on board with this. If it weren't for the fact that dimensional changing is so finicky in minecraft, I would love a setup where you have a Spectral Key base sort of deal and then spend most of your time wandering around. I liked Exoria for this exact reason, actually.

The second part in 1.7.10 days was to use compact machines inside the spectral dimension to get some more miles out of the place.

Outside of that, the only other thing that really did it for me was a pocket dimension using dimensional doors, but that mod is a whole can of worms performance-wise. I tried that with Hexxit in my first modded experience years ago. It was a respectably-large space, but it was also a little too easy to bust through the drywall into limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They skipped out on rotten flesh though. I think I'm too gung-ho about that; zombies just need to be more useful for something. The fish is probably the best way to go since you can fairly easily make a fishing pole in modded Minecraft and just work on a small patch of water at night to get some fish. I'm hope the Pam's Harvestcraft trap kind of takes off some of this edge by turning some grain into meat (to cook and dry into leather) as well as some leather itself. I just don't know the constraints on it. Like, can I make one of those down in a cave somewhere and be fine so long as it's surrounded by dirt? I like the notion that the traps are just altars to some benign fertility god that accepts the baits in exchange for random animal body parts. It sounds like the type of animal it traps has to be anywhere nearby.

It doesn't. You just put baits in, make sure it has 4 grass blocks adjacent, and it passively vends animal products.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It doesn't. You just put baits in, make sure it has 4 grass blocks adjacent, and it passively vends animal products.
It also needs direct sunlight, which I guess the creator of the Stoneblock [2] modpack didn't realize when they added a quest to craft one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Man I'm 100% on board with this. If it weren't for the fact that dimensional changing is so finicky in minecraft, I would love a setup where you have a Spectral Key base sort of deal and then spend most of your time wandering around. I liked Exoria for this exact reason, actually.

Ah, this sounds so great. Spectral Key is one of my favorite modded items. The only downside is that you can't invite visitors on multiplayer servers.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

It also needs direct sunlight, which I guess the creator of the Stoneblock [2] modpack didn't realize when they added a quest to craft one.

I had no issues with the traps in Stoneblock 2 though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Maguoob posted:

I had no issues with the traps in Stoneblock 2 though.
I baited them and surrounded them with grass but never got any catches, so I don't know what must've gone wrong then.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you mean that the vertical shaft was exposed to any cave systems it plunged through down to Y=11? The ones I'm building always wrap everything around with stone on all four sides, harvest whatever ores it replaces with stone, and slaps them in a chest on the bottom. Or do you mean that Deez Nutz creepers would just blow up that enclosed section anyways?

They would just blow it up anyway, yeah. I'm pretty sure normal creepers can blow up through corners, too. Making it put stone on all 8 surrounding blocks instead of just the 4 orthogonal ones should fix it, I'd think.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Vib Rib posted:

What the hell is the point of rotten flesh anyway?
Even in modpacks where it can be used for stuff I always end up with a chest/storage drawer full of the crap. Does it even have a purpose in vanilla?

Off the top of my head clerics will take it for emeralds... I think that's it?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you mean that the vertical shaft was exposed to any cave systems it plunged through down to Y=11? The ones I'm building always wrap everything around with stone on all four sides, harvest whatever ores it replaces with stone, and slaps them in a chest on the bottom. Or do you mean that Deez Nutz creepers would just blow up that enclosed section anyways?

Zack Ater posted:

They would just blow it up anyway, yeah. I'm pretty sure normal creepers can blow up through corners, too. Making it put stone on all 8 surrounding blocks instead of just the 4 orthogonal ones should fix it, I'd think.

What he said.
The shaft down wasn't 8 blocks around just 4 so when it went through a cave anything standing at the corners at the time would hit you. Since the mobs could see you through walls a lot of the time they would just stand and wait at the corners for you to come down the ladder a lot of times.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
...huh, the Twitch app updated and it's faster now. I would've expected slower.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
so i installed blightfall, but when i went to generate a world it only gave me an option for game type. How do i enable the other options you usually get?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Blightfall has a preset world.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
so, i can't mod the gamerules? ugh, now i'm going to lose my inventory on death

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

so, i can't mod the gamerules? ugh, now i'm going to lose my inventory on death

Well you could open your save in NBTExplorer to set the options you want. I don't remember death being much of an issue, maybe keepinventory is on by default.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Can you not open to lan and just type the command?

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
keepinventory is on by default on Blightfall. Also "Open to LAN" - >"Allow Cheats" should let you type in commands.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Note that dropping inventory on death is a very rare thing in modpacks. Generally either keepInventory is turned on by default, or there will be a mod that stores your inventory in a tomb of some sort where you died. You can pretty safely assume that your stuff will be safe when you die when playing modded.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Blightfall works with a Reputation system that deducts points if you die. The first 3 times or so you can reclaim those points iirc.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Once you can automate the creation of bread, though, you'll have basically infinite rep points to spend on whatever.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I am impatiently waiting for 1.13 modding to come into it's own.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Playing through Sevtech:Ages and boy it's pretty fascinating. I really enjoy a gameplay loop where 'things that are difficult now are easier later' and that's the core of the modpack, so that's great. Hit age 1, zooming along. Minor issues with one mod or another, but whatever.

But boy. Abyssalcraft. When I ran into it in PO3 I just assumed there was a PE config that had a 0 lopped off it. I'm not really supposed to gather 5000 PE 5 at a time, am I?

...I am? Oh boy.

Making it even worse: in PO3, there were Places of Power, or structures you could build that would deactivate the negative effects of the statues, but I can't find them in the Abyssalcraft book at all, so it's either a different version or those are disabled (or I'm an idiot.)

Edit: and in PO3 I had a bunch of armor and a jetpack and infinite inventory. In SevTech I'm doing it with...leather armor and a club.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
In sevtech I built a room deep underground with a 1 block shaft so the pedestal (or is it the statue, I forget) could see the sky. Nothing spawned at ground level. The room was laid out so I could reach the pedestal and attack anything in the room safely. I never got a shoggoth spawn though, maybe because there wasn't room. They might have been able to break out. Sevtech doesn't force you to process deep into abyssalcraft. I never upgraded the book and only needed to do a few rituals.

In PO3 it was a real pain in the rear end getting all the statues, but once that was done I just set them up in another dimension with a spot loader and a pedestal and left my book there until it was charged.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
My own sevtech abyssalcraft temple uses 64 statues split into 4 groups which is massively overkill but fills the book very quickly on the central pedestal. Just build a dozen or so blocks down and cover the top with holes for the statues with one of the spreader whatevers pointed upwards at the charging pedestal and you'll never worry about spawns. Build in the abysslands and won't have to worry about biome changing either.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Danny Glands posted:

I am impatiently waiting for 1.13 modding to come into it's own.

Heh be careful what you wish for.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
man, i wish i was smart enough to do this automation stuff. i cant plan a circuit to save my life

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Depends posted:

What he said.
The shaft down wasn't 8 blocks around just 4 so when it went through a cave anything standing at the corners at the time would hit you. Since the mobs could see you through walls a lot of the time they would just stand and wait at the corners for you to come down the ladder a lot of times.

IIRC in CotT 1 and 2, creepers would actually aggro through a one-block-thick wall. I remember having to build my walls two blocks thick to prevent this.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Sevtech:Ages <snip> Abyssalcraft.

Edit: and in PO3 I had a bunch of armor and a jetpack and infinite inventory. In SevTech I'm doing it with...leather armor and a club.

Abyssalcraft is heavily modified in SevTech. It's way easier to deal with as all the values and crafting recipes have been tweaked to make it more of an early game experience rather than a late game one. You can pretty safely just treat it as something new entirely because of how different it is.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Potsticker posted:

Abyssalcraft is heavily modified in SevTech. It's way easier to deal with as all the values and crafting recipes have been tweaked to make it more of an early game experience rather than a late game one. You can pretty safely just treat it as something new entirely because of how different it is.

Yeah, I quickly realized I don't need nearly as much PE as I thought, which is nice.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is it a good idea to settle in or around an abyssalcraft biome in Sevtech? I've been playing it recently and the nearest darklands is 1500 blocks out, very inconvenient. Unfortunately I don't have any easy way to move my base either, since I can't craft storage crates yet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Is it a good idea to settle in or around an abyssalcraft biome in Sevtech? I've been playing it recently and the nearest darklands is 1500 blocks out, very inconvenient. Unfortunately I don't have any easy way to move my base either, since I can't craft storage crates yet.

In the very early game you need a bunch of stuff from mobs that spawn in an abyssalcraft biome, so it's a good idea to have one close, but not so close that it can spawn mobs while you're tooling around your base. Avoid settling in swamps, too; shoggoths will spawn, spread their poop everywhere, and gently caress things up.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

McFrugal posted:

You need an abyssal gem to make an item for progression but that's about it. You can get that with a night or two of combat -- you don't really need more than one gem and there's nothing else useful there. Protip: Cobblestone can be crafted into 9 rocks, which you can throw for 2 damage. The biggest abyssal mobs blind you in melee range which makes them huge assholes, but they're no match for a couple stacks of rocks.

The absolute worst part of the abyssalcraft portion of sevtech is getting the statues or the shoggoth flesh to make statues. The drat things are immune to ranged, have huge piles of hp (and you have stone tools at best), and spit acid that deals continuous damage. Try to get below the lip of their lair steps so you can knock them back down repeatedly without engaging. Feel totally free to cheat because they are total bullshit.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, shoggoths at low tech and gear levels are pretty bullshit. The trick to that is to remember that Minecraft is a game where you can place and remove blocks. Use this ancient knowledge to create a murderhole in a shoggoth lair.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Also the blocks in the lair can be used to craft real statues that work, unlike vanilla Abyssalcraft where they make decorative statues.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Anyone else have problems with tamed horses disappearing in Sevtech? I got off mine, chopped down a tree, turned around and it's gone. I saw some people saying they turn invisible and relogging fixes it but mine is 100% gone.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Make the wild dog boots asap and ignore horses entirely; the boots give speed, fall immunity, and large amounts of armour. Slime sling + slime boots also work for long distance travel although that's age 1 or 2 iirc.

As to your horse disappearing there's poo poo all you can do, unfortunately.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay I found out shoggoth spit destroys blocks. Instantly. In an area. You can't block their lairs anymore to kill them.

Edit: oh hey, the monster balance in darklands is complete garbage too. Shadow creature: small, slow, about as dangerous as a zombie, about as much hp as one. Shadow monster: normal sized, normal speed, a little more dangerous than a zombie, has about 30 hp or something I can't even loving read the text on health bars. Shadow beast: blinds you slows you kills you in four hits, has like 100 hp.

I'm just gonna cheat in a shadow gem.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 8, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Okay I found out shoggoth spit destroys blocks. Instantly. In an area. You can't block their lairs anymore to kill them.

Edit: oh hey, the monster balance in darklands is complete garbage too. Shadow creature: small, slow, about as dangerous as a zombie, about as much hp as one. Shadow monster: normal sized, normal speed, a little more dangerous than a zombie, has about 30 hp or something I can't even loving read the text on health bars. Shadow beast: blinds you slows you kills you in four hits, has like 100 hp.

I'm just gonna cheat in a shadow gem.

Build a fort that you can sit in. Big enough that you can run from the blinding spray.

Kill from inside once you can see..

But i need help with my sevtech. Ive crafted my necromibook. Now i need to make the beneath portal and some ritial pedastls. I have no idea how to do that.

My darklands and my infested swamp are 2 days run from my base.

What am i even looking to do? I didnt see any shaggoth pits or monolith stone anywhere?

Like how much coriline do i need to harvest to make ???? to make the ???

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Anyone else have problems with tamed horses disappearing in Sevtech? I got off mine, chopped down a tree, turned around and it's gone. I saw some people saying they turn invisible and relogging fixes it but mine is 100% gone.
I don't know if this is a vanilla thing, since I only used horses extensively in Sevtech, but I had the same problem. I kept an eye on it one time and what happened was as soon as I got off the horse it just started walking away. Not typical passive animal wandering, either; this thing was bee-lining away from me. I followed it for over 1000m before it finally stopped, but even when it started walking again it just headed in the same direction without turning.
I had similar things happen with other horses, who would sometimes dip into nearby ravines or caves I didn't even notice.

So yeah, my guess is it's some AI thing that confuses the animal's targeted wander destination (or source), but I had a hell of a time with it in Sevtech.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I don't know if this is a vanilla thing, since I only used horses extensively in Sevtech, but I had the same problem. I kept an eye on it one time and what happened was as soon as I got off the horse it just started walking away. Not typical passive animal wandering, either; this thing was bee-lining away from me. I followed it for over 1000m before it finally stopped, but even when it started walking again it just headed in the same direction without turning.
I had similar things happen with other horses, who would sometimes dip into nearby ravines or caves I didn't even notice.

So yeah, my guess is it's some AI thing that confuses the animal's targeted wander destination (or source), but I had a hell of a time with it in Sevtech.

Yeah, it's vanilla behavior. Horses just get high and wander off. You can mitigate it by carrying a lead and a fence post with you. Once you jump off the horse, lasso that sucker and tie him to a fence post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

But i need help with my sevtech. Ive crafted my necromibook. Now i need to make the beneath portal and some ritial pedastls. I have no idea how to do that.

My darklands and my infested swamp are 2 days run from my base.

What am i even looking to do? I didnt see any shaggoth pits or monolith stone anywhere?

Like how much coriline do i need to harvest to make ???? to make the ???

Make a boat and ride along the waterways until you see a rectangle of dark stone; that'll be the shoggoth pit and the stone can be relatively safely mined out from the entrance.

Ritual pedastal is explained in the book and also is just a circle of stone around a stone pillar which is then right clicked with the book.

In my own sevtech early on I created a boating network that relied on only short land crossings which helped significantly with speed, but getting around is definitely the hardest part of the first ages until you get the sling + boots.

No idea what coriline is?