Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

If you like Killing Eve check out Fleabag on Amazon. It's the same creator/writer and she stars in it. It's a comedy but it's pretty brutal.
Yes, Fleabag is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just remembered Oscar winner Olivia Colman plays a huge bitch on Fleabag and she's great.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just caught up with Counterpart, and my quibbles with the finale aside, it’s an amazing show that’ll stay with me for years to come.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

CeeJee posted:

It's one of the shortest binges you could possible have at six times 20 minutes and Derry Girls was an absolute delight. Fortunately it had subtitles to make it possible to follow what was being said even though they made the colossal, unforgivable error of labeling Misrilou as that Black Eyed Peas song.

Wierdly I hope my favourite in the cast, Orla, does not get a more prominent role in the coming season as her expressions in the background are so amazing.

Oh wow this show has a lot going for it. Maybe it's because I was a teenager in the nineties, but it's pressing a lot of buttons.

And yeah, Orla is an instant classic, but I think it's good that they keep all the girls - and the gay - pretty balanced in their roles. So many shows fall into the trap of making everything a straight man for "the quirky one", and end up becoming a one trick pony. Judging from the final scenes of the last episode, I think Derry Girls is aiming a bit higher than that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meatgrinder posted:

Oh wow this show has a lot going for it. Maybe it's because I was a teenager in the nineties, but it's pressing a lot of buttons.

And yeah, Orla is an instant classic, but I think it's good that they keep all the girls - and the gay - pretty balanced in their roles. So many shows fall into the trap of making everything a straight man for "the quirky one", and end up becoming a one trick pony. Judging from the final scenes of the last episode, I think Derry Girls is aiming a bit higher than that.

Season 2 episode 1 was pretty funny. I just watched it. The adults are the funniest characters by a country mile. I grew up around Irish families in Liverpool around the same time period. It's ridiculously accurate.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Season 2 episode 1 was pretty funny. I just watched it. The adults are the funniest characters by a country mile. I grew up around Irish families in Liverpool around the same time period. It's ridiculously accurate.

Aye, the casting and writing are great. To pitch Tommy Tiernan in a "subdued" role against Ian McElhinney... Very entertaining.

Side effect of binging this is I won't be able to properly pronounce "now" for weeks to come.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meatgrinder posted:

Aye, the casting and writing are great. To pitch Tommy Tiernan in a "subdued" role against Ian McElhinney... Very entertaining.

Side effect of binging this is I won't be able to properly pronounce "now" for weeks to come.

I've been saying "your man, your woman and banjaxed" since i was like 13. I'm not even irish

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Trailer for Cobra Kai season 2:

https://youtu.be/N3RqajyxUco

April 24th! I cant wait.

If you didnt watch season 1, nows the time to binge it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Meatgrinder posted:

Speaking of Fleabag, the second series is airing on the BBC. If you can, watch it. It is glorious.

There’s a second season of Fleabag?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even Bridget Jones got a sequel

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

There’s a second season of Fleabag?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47374502

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That’s fantastic to hear, thanks!

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Trailer for Cobra Kai season 2:

https://youtu.be/N3RqajyxUco

April 24th! I cant wait.

If you didnt watch season 1, nows the time to binge it.

It’s me, I’m the one now binging it, The Expanse, and Travelers. I’m TVIV from 2 years ago.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rocksicles posted:

I'm about half way through The Widow, Kate Beckinsale goes to the DRC to get to the bottom of the mystery of her husbands death. Charles Dance is in it too, it's really loving good.

Just finished it, some of the parts (the blind lady in Rotterdam, Judith's backstory, Nigel) seem to have little purpose as if there was more to them which was cut but overall it was a solid show. Not at all the Kate Beckinsale star vehicle I had expected, she looked as rough as it's possible to be if you're her.

The little girl soldier was a great actress, it's so harrowing to see her lug around a rifle almost as big has her and seeing she know how to use it quite well. In the seventh episode there is also a very impressive long take of a street riot with hundreds of extras. South Africa is putting out some great stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am so happy Fleabag is back that I don’t even care that it means Waller-Bridge isn’t involved with Killing Eve s2

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ratatozsk posted:

Am I misremembering or was :tviv: created for the Shield live threads? Especially that episode

No, it was the episode of :twentyfour: where Jack had to chop Chase's hand off with a fire axe.

During the live-watch thread, someone posted "OH HOLKY gently caress", and either hit the Submit button a crapload of times or had a browser error, because it resulted in him posting the comment about 12 times in a row. It seemed appropriate.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion
Anyone watch Gervais' new show After Life?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Heavy Hands posted:

Anyone watch Gervais' new show After Life?

Man, scripting a "debate" where you are super-smart and your opponent is a big dummy is really cheap, whether or not you agree with the protagonist.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Lycus posted:

Man, scripting a "debate" where you are super-smart and your opponent is a big dummy is really cheap, whether or not you agree with the protagonist.

So far, I completely agree. It's pretty much a standard post-Office Gervais show.
Luckily there are still some alright jokes in there, and the side characters at least are likeable. But every time you can clearly tell that this is Gervais thinking he's being clever and subversive, it's really on the nose and kinda takes you out of the show.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Thwomp posted:

I just caught up with Counterpart, and my quibbles with the finale aside, it’s an amazing show that’ll stay with me for years to come.

Binged through season one and started season two. I was wondering if it would be like Fringe but it does a good job of building its own world. There are some flaws but is pretty entertaining. Not very funny or exciting or original but solid writing and acting.

Somehow the one thing that really irks me since I have started noticing it: whenever two people kiss, there's "smooching" sounds added to it. Irritates me to no end.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

been watching yamato 2199, which i picked up mainly out of nostalgia for the original and not thinking it would be particularly good. but i have to say i’ve been pleasantly surprised: the overall plot structure is essentially the same, but the episode themes have included much meatier topics than i expected: the nature of consciousness, the humanity of adversaries, conflicts among people striving in good faith to achieve a common good, disillusionment in warfare, dignity and treatment of oppressed minorities, etc.

definitely not for everyone, but if you find yourself in the mood for a cartoon space opera, it’s worth a look

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Sex Education and it's just pretty dang great.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thwomp posted:

I just started watching the first season, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the first episode of After Life and I loving hated it. Most basic generic “depression is bad” story that’s only a way for Gervais to get away with his stupid offensive bullshit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mrs. Maisel is good. Finished season 2 in a few days. The creator seriously kicked up the quality since the Gilmore Girls days. The actors make the dialogue feel so natural. It doesn't look like a bunch of actors standing around going through snappy lines. I totally believe these characters would speak this way. Also you have to be nuts to take a 2 month vacation staying at the same resort the whole time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched the first episode of After Life and I loving hated it. Most basic generic “depression is bad” story that’s only a way for Gervais to get away with his stupid offensive bullshit.

What's stupid and offensive about him?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

What's stupid and offensive about him?

I’m a huge fan of his but he is stuck in the standard Baby Boomer “ pc culture run amok “ trap. He also has a tendency to punch down quite a bit.

As annoying as he can be he still brought us Karl Pilkington and An Idiot Abroad, is I can never stay mad at him for long.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I’m a huge fan of his but he is stuck in the standard Baby Boomer “ pc culture run amok “ trap. He also has a tendency to punch down quite a bit.

As annoying as he can be he still brought us Karl Pilkington and An Idiot Abroad, is I can never stay mad at him for long.

Well he's not wrong really, and his comedy for sure suits English/Aussie people more than anyone else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jim Jefferies does a similar kind of comedy IMO without being a smug rear end in a top hat though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ricky Gervais desperately wants people to think of him as edgy and boundary-pushing and a bad boy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Every young, edgy comedian is basically inevitably going to end up middle aged, out of touch, and confused as to why everyone's mad about their hilarious joke that went over so well 10-20 years ago.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Jim Jefferies does a similar kind of comedy IMO without being a smug rear end in a top hat though.

Jim Jefferies isn't English.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I know because his accent is like crocodile dundee

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I know because his accent is like crocodile dundee

It's not a fair comparison then, English and Aussies can intermingle just fine, but Aussies are smart arses and English are sarcastic arseholes. Irish fit somewhere in the middle.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm just saying comedians can be edgy and provocative and whatnot without being insufferable like Ricky Gervais

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm just saying comedians can be edgy and provocative and whatnot without being insufferable like Ricky Gervais

eh, there comes a point where you just realise that's who he is and like it or lump it i guess.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Edgy comedy on Netflix is just pc pretending to be edgy. I haven't seen an actual edgy netflix special, or a lol funny one to be honest. The edgiest Netflix gets is Norm MacDonald. That guy, I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with him.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah just incredibly misogynistic and gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpEQ9IlMsFw

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 11, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah just incredibly misogynistic and gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpEQ9IlMsFw

maybe you're missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm making my own point; that Jim Jeffries is a gross fucker and you shouldn't support him.